College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So if one is made righteous, does this mean they can't sin anymore? And does the term made righteous mean they now possess the righteousness of God?

Sidon said this: The dead spirit in a person, is BORN AGAIN, AS God's very righteousness, as "made righteous.""

fhansen, the way I understand this is the Spirit of God, the Spirit of Christ, the Holy Spirit, which are all the same, that dwells in the believer, in the New Man, is unable to sin. Our past sins have been forgiven by the shed blood of Christ, done away with. It's not us that don't sin because we have been pronounced guilty. "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God," Romans 3:23. But, it's God's Spirit in us that can't sin. "I live, yet not I, but Christ liveth in me..." Galatians 2:20. I think people don't understand because they don't know that The Holy Spirit actually takes over the fleshly body of believer, and gives the Power to live without sin. I can attest to this because I experience this Power of the Holy Spirit. For example: I know that there are two people, 1) the fleshly man, and 2) the spiritual man (the New Man). I know when I have grieved the Holy Spirit, and am now in the carnal mind, and this is where I sin. I also know when I'm in the Spirit, and walking by the Spirit, and this is where I can't sin because the Spirit can't sin. The Spirit is much more powerful than the flesh, but it's a learning process to not grieve Him. But, it's like, all of the self-effort that I try to accomplish in the flesh, has been replaced with Power by the Spirit. By the Spirit, the flesh becomes literally crucified, put to death, in me; a Power I did not possess, a Power I do not posses. It is literally what is promised in Ezekiel 36:26-27, "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you; and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause yo to walk in my statues, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them." The stony heart is the of flesh. God's Spirit cuts this away and His indwelling us is that we cannot sin. This is why Apostle Paul said, "Oh wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord...," Romans 7:24-25. Jesus gives us His Spirit literally.

You must experience the Spirit to know the Spirit because fleshly man cannot know Him because it is a new thing. "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a NEW creature."

Pray for the Spirit to know Him, Luke 11:13, "if you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?"

I hope this helps!

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sidon said this: The dead spirit in a person, is BORN AGAIN, AS God's very righteousness, as "made righteous.""

fhansen, the way I understand this is the Spirit of God, the Spirit of Christ, the Holy Spirit, which are all the same, that dwells in the believer, in the New Man, is unable to sin. Our past sins have been forgiven by the shed blood of Christ, done away with. It's not us that don't sin because we have been pronounced guilty. "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God," Romans 3:23. But, it's God's Spirit in us that can't sin. "I live, yet not I, but Christ liveth in me..." Galatians 2:20. I think people don't understand because they don't know that The Holy Spirit actually takes over the fleshly body of believer, and gives the Power to live without sin. I can attest to this because I experience this Power of the Holy Spirit. For example: I know that there are two people, 1) the fleshly man, and 2) the spiritual man (the New Man). I know when I have grieved the Holy Spirit, and am now in the carnal mind, and this is where I sin. I also know when I'm in the Spirit, and walking by the Spirit, and this is where I can't sin because the Spirit can't sin. The Spirit is much more powerful than the flesh, but it's a learning process to not grieve Him. But, it's like, all of the self-effort that I try to accomplish in the flesh, has been replaced with Power by the Spirit. By the Spirit, the flesh becomes literally crucified, put to death, in me; a Power I did not possess, a Power I do not posses. It is literally what is promised in Ezekiel 36:26-27, "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you; and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause yo to walk in my statues, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them." The stony heart is the of flesh. God's Spirit cuts this away and His indwelling us is that we cannot sin. This is why Apostle Paul said, "Oh wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord...," Romans 7:24-25. Jesus gives us His Spirit literally.

You must experience the Spirit to know the Spirit because fleshly man cannot know Him because it is a new thing. "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a NEW creature."

Pray for the Spirit to know Him, Luke 11:13, "if you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?"

I hope this helps!
Yes, but you haven't identified the problem here as I see it. No one argues against the Spirit enabling or empowering us to overcome sin. The argument is in whether on not we can still resist, whether or not we still, in actuality, sin IOW, and whether or not sin can at some point separate us from God all over again. Is man still obligated to be personally righteousness IOW, but by remaining in and living by the Spirit, under grace now, not under the law?

Is the born-again guaranteed not to sin, or does God no longer care whether or not he sins while presumably still caring about the sin of the unbeliever? Does faith, by itself, excuse us from the obligation to refrain from sin, to be personally righteous? Or must it lead us to and effect in us that very righteousness?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but you haven't identified the problem here as I see it. No one argues against the Spirit enabling or empowering us to overcome sin. The argument is in whether on not we can still resist, whether or not we still, in actuality, sin IOW, and whether or not sin can at some point separate us from God all over again. Is man still obligated to be personally righteousness IOW, but by remaining in and living by the Spirit, under grace now, not under the law.

I will try and break down the questions with an answer:

1) The argument is in whether on not we can still resist: Are you saying resist sin? if that is your question, in my post I explained that the Holy Spirit itself is sinless, not us. It is the Holy Spirit given to us by God that makes us sinless. The Power of the Holy Spirit also enables us to resist sin.

2) whether or not we still, in actuality, sin: When we grieve the Holy Spirit, His Power is withdrawn. When this happens, we do sin because we are back in the flesh. However, this sin is not held against us as Christians. Because, the sanctification process is not an immediate process. We must grow in Christ to perfection.

3) and whether or not sin can at some point separate us from God all over again: The bible tells you this cannot happen. Romans 8:38-39, (38 "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.). We as Christians are given the earnest of the Spirit when we believe, 2 Corinthians 1:22. That's a seal put on us by God. That seal is our inheritance into the Kingdom of God. Once this seal is given, God won't take it away based on Romans 8. Only if someone is not a true Christian, then they never had salvation, and then there is nothing to loose; the were never sealed.

4) Is man still obligated to be personally righteousness IOW, but by remaining in and living by the Spirit, under grace now, not under the law: There is no obligation to something we are not capable to do. We have died with Christ. So, God took care of what we, as man, could not do. God said walk though holy before me. But we do not have the capacity to walk holy before God. So how will this be accomplished? By His Spirit. The Spirit is Holy. So if we have the Spirit, we are Holy. (Ezekiel 36:27, "And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statues, and ye shall keep my judgments and do them."). This is Grace! Righteousness freely given to us!

Does this help?

Upvote 0

Chris35

May 27, 2018
Melbourne
✟56,154.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sidon is right about grace, i had fallen from grace for a long time.

I think that your confusing things. Im going to call it grace with active faith, and grace with non-active for an explanationary example.

Grace with non active faith...
This is what your seeing, and understanding That we believe Jesus died for our sin, and now you can do whatever you want, you can break the law and sin, it dont really matter. Which is no wonder that your weary of this.

Grace with active faith

Grace with active faith is more, you come to the realization that you cannot leave sin behind yourself no matter how hard you try. If you manage to overcome one, more and more keep coming. You cant seem to love others enough, the love is always lacking.

Then you let go of it all completely and let Jesus take over, you start to turn to pray for cleansing of mind and heart, and ask Jesus to work his righteousness in you, rather then do it yourself.

You start to develop a much stronger love for God and others, which starts to affect every part of your life, your thoughts become alot more on God and ways to show love to others, while before it was more focused on sin.

Then the law starts to be fullfilled in you through faith and love, not be self effort but because Jesus has started working inside of you.

Each day you start to understand God and Jesus more and more, and you really start growing in Christ.

Hope this helps clear things up a little.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
1) The argument is in whether on not we can still resist: Are you saying resist sin?
No, resist the Spirit, resist grace.
2) whether or not we still, in actuality, sin: When we grieve the Holy Spirit, His Power is withdrawn. When this happens, we do sin because we are back in the flesh. However, this sin is not held against us as Christians. Because, the sanctification process is not an immediate process. We must grow in Christ to perfection.
To say that sin would never be held against us, and that sanctification is guaranteed and cannot be resisted, that we will necessarily persevere, would be against the gospel IMO.
3) and whether or not sin can at some point separate us from God all over again: The bible tells you this cannot happen. Romans 8:38-39, (38 "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.). We as Christians are given the earnest of the Spirit when we believe, 2 Corinthians 1:22.
Yes, Paul is persuaded. And yet he and others balanced such encouraging words with warnings and admonitions and the acknowledgment that he, himself, still needed to strive.
That's a seal put on us by God. That seal is our inheritance into the Kingdom of God. Once this seal is given, God won't take it away based on Romans 8. Only if someone is not a true Christian, then they never had salvation, and then there is nothing to loose; the were never sealed.
Well, here's Romans 8, verses 12-13 in this case:
"Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live."

Apparently we better remain in the Spirit -and live by Him.
4) Is man still obligated to be personally righteousness IOW, but by remaining in and living by the Spirit, under grace now, not under the law: There is no obligation to something we are not capable to do.
So are you saying that God made man to be a sinner?? That we can't do all things through Him who strengthens us? Sanctification would be impossible if that were the case.
We have died with Christ. So, God took care of what we, as man, could not do. God said walk though holy before me. But we do not have the capacity to walk holy before God. So how will this be accomplished? By His Spirit. The Spirit is Holy. So if we have the Spirit, we are Holy. (Ezekiel 36:27, "And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statues, and ye shall keep my judgments and do them."). This is Grace! Righteousness freely given to us!
And that's what I've been saying. The New Covenant is all about achieving in us, with God, under grace, what we cannot do, on our own, even when under the law. And that this is obligatory while not guaranteed. Man's will is involved from the beginning of his walk with God on this earth to the end, just has man's will has been involved for Eden until now. Impossible without grace, apart from
God, and He is exactly who Adam effectively failed to appreciate and dismissed and denied in Eden. Now grace must come and find us, lost as we are, and find us as we're, hopefully, ready to appreciate and respond now as He comes and knocks on our door, and then we must keep responding for the rest of our lives more than we backslide- and close the door. Perseverance isn't guaranteed IOW, which is why we're exhorted to persevere.

Man was made for communion with God. We're here to learn that truth, and to confirm and grow stronger in it. He'll always be there for us, but we must be and remain there too, in Him. Beyond that we don't know and don't need to know; He, alone, knows with perfect certainty who's names are written in the Book of Life and whose are not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To say that sin would never be held against us, and that sanctification is guaranteed and cannot be resisted, that we will necessarily persevere, would be against the gospel IMO.

Sin is held against all sinners, all men. "All have come short." But, those in Christ is offered the grace of forgiveness. As far as sanctification being resisted, what are you talking about? God is the vinedresser, the husbandman, He does the work to build up the Christian in their walk by His Spirit. So, I don't know what you are speaking about. I can't imagine a true Christian saying, "Oh, this sanctification process is not what I was bargaining for, so I guess I will just stop believing in Jesus." I think you might be saying this because it's hard to persevere right? However, only someone who never believed in christ the first place would say such a thing. I have heard of people say they use to believe in Christ, but they stopped believing. I don't know, but were they true Christians?

But what's the concern? Do you feel you want to give up and stop believing? And if you don't want to give up, your question is really strange. I sometimes question the difficulties of the Christian life at times, but that's normal, and that's not giving up.

Yes, Paul is persuaded. And yet he and others balanced such encouraging words with warnings and admonitions and the acknowledgment that he, himself, still needed to strive.

No one is saying there is no striving. The bible tells us that we suffer for Christ. Suffering is not easy, and we must resist satan at every turn sometimes. We must put off the old man, which is the flesh. That's hard. We must learn to love people who might be terrible people. That's not easy. We are never to try and exert our opinion to gain influence. That's not easy. We are to learn to be humble when we want to tell someone off, and they deserve it. No, we must strive! We must not judge people. And, there is more, and more, and more we must learn to do in Christ. This is the growing up in Christ process. Sanctification. "The furnace of fire" to bring out the Holiness in our character: the fruits fo the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, and self-control. Before we accepted Christ, we produced no fruits of the Sprit because we did not have the Spirit. What kindness displayed was self, not Spirit.

Well, here's Romans 8, verses 12-13 in this case:
"Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live."

Are you stuck on the word "obligation?" The King James Version uses the word, "debtors." We, as Christians, are not to live after the flesh, and we are told in Roman 8:13, that "if we live after the flesh, we shall die", but "if we through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, we shall live." We are debtors to Christ. We are debtors to live Holy. We are debtors to put off the old man.

Therefore "we work out our own salvation" through the gospel. "Work out" is not saying we do the work ourselves, because this is a spiritual process. We "work out" according to the gospel message, by the Spirit of Christ. God is the husbandman, and the vine dresser if you know what that means.

Apparently we better remain in the Spirit -and live by Him.

So are you saying that God made man to be a sinner?? That we can't do all things through Him who strengthens us?

I'm saying what the bible says, "We can do all things through Him who strengthens us" - through the Holy Spirit and God's grace.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
God is "A" Spirit, and not just "spirit" as you find in phony bibles.
So, in the beginning when man was created in "our image", (Genesis), you find that man was created in God's image.
Thats a spiritual aspect, as God had no body at that time.
So, this "likeness" was Spiritual, and that includes free will.
How does your construction, 'spiritual likeness', necessarily include absolute sovereignty of the creature, contrary to good logic which admits to only one absolute sovereign?

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think you might be saying this because it's hard to persevere right?
Well, yes, apparently not all will.
I have heard of people say they use to believe in Christ, but they stopped believing. I don't know, but were they true Christians?
Yes, that's a very good question. Does the following apply only to "untrue Christians", those who never converted?
"I am the vine and you are the branches. The one who remains in Me, and I in him, will bear much fruit. For apart from Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in Me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers. Such branches are gathered up, thrown into the fire, and burned." John 15:5-6

"If indeed they have escaped the corruption of the world through the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, only to be entangled and overcome by it again, their final condition is worse than it was at first. It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness than to have known it and then to turn away from the holy commandment passed on to them. Of them the proverbs are true: “A dog returns to its vomit,”
and, “A sow that is washed goes back to her wallowing in the mud.” 2 Pet 2:20-22
But what's the concern? Do you feel you want to give up and stop believing? And if you don't want to give up, your question is really strange. I sometimes question the difficulties of the Christian life at times, but that's normal, and that's not giving up.
I didn't say I wanted to give up. Only that I can't predict my own perseverance. I believe I'm saved but don't take that as a given-if my fruits don't always reflect that so well, then...
So I must have some concern, some degree of fear and trembling as my salvation is worked out. And God, at the end of the day, is the judge, not me.
No one is saying there is no striving. The bible tells us that we suffer for Christ. Suffering is not easy, and we must resist satan at every turn sometimes. We must put off the old man, which is the flesh. That's hard. We must learn to love people who might be terrible people. That's not easy. We are never to try and exert our opinion to gain influence. That's not easy. We are to learn to be humble when we want to tell someone off, and they deserve it. No, we must strive! We must not judge people. And, there is more, and more, and more we must learn to do in Christ. This is the growing up in Christ process. Sanctification. "The furnace of fire" to bring out the Holiness in our character: the fruits fo the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, and self-control. Before we accepted Christ, we produced no fruits of the Sprit because we did not have the Spirit. What kindness displayed was self, not Spirit.
Alright, and that makes sense as we consider Rom 6:22-23
"But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Eternal life is ours to the extent that we're sanctified-a work of the Spirit as we cooperate with Him in that work.
Are you stuck on the word "obligation?" The King James Version uses the word, "debtors." We, as Christians, are not to live after the flesh, and we are told in Roman 8:13, that "if we live after the flesh, we shall die", but "if we through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, we shall live." We are debtors to Christ. We are debtors to live Holy. We are debtors to put off the old man.
Yes! And the obligation is there, made clear by vs 13 regardless of the translation of vs 12, "obligation" as used there by the NIV being a valid one anyway. Either way this demonstrates the process aspect of salvation.
"Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord." Heb 12:14
Therefore "we work out our own salvation" through the gospel. "Work out" is not saying we do the work ourselves, because this is a spiritual process. We "work out" according to the gospel message, by the Spirit of Christ. God is the husbandman, and the vine dresser if you know what that means.
Yes, I'm a vintner myself :). But the Vine Dresser in this case asks that we contribute to our own blossoming, for own highest good, even if only in participating and not interfering in His work. Denying God His godhood in our lives is what got man into this mess to begin with.

From the bigger picture God is still creating, producing something here, something greater, something better than He began with as He draws us increasingly into His work and alignment with His own will. To the extent that we willingly participate, to the extent that we are aligned in will with Him, something is created, rather than nothing or rather than Him merely saving a portion of otherwise worthless wretches. Our justice or righteousness is all the more realized, all the more confirmed by this willingness. And that's why it's all taken so long, since Eden; God is very patient in this work, cultivating and preparing the human vine over time.

To put all this another way, God seeks to produce beings who love as He does-and love, while a gift, is also necessarily a human choice-or else it wouldn't be love. And without love we are nothing as Paul tells us in 1 Cor 13. And as another believer once put it, who the church quotes concerning our judgment,
"At the evening of life we shall be judged on our love."
I'm saying what the bible says, "We can do all things through Him who strengthens us" - through the Holy Spirit and God's grace.
I agree. We can, and we must.

• Agree
Reactions: biblelesson
Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't say I wanted to give up. Only that I can't predict my own perseverance. I believe I'm saved but don't take that as a given-if my fruits don't always reflect that so well, then...
So I must have some concern, some degree of fear and trembling as my salvation is worked out. And God, at the end of the day, is the judge, not me.

fhansen, So you are concerned that your fruits are not reflective of the fruits of the Spirit, thus causing fear and concern about your salvation! I think that's what you are saying.

Well, you are right! Our fruits don't always reflect the fruits of the Spirit. But this seems to be what you are saying, "Oh, well, I guess I won't make it; I can't make my fruits reflect what only the Holy Spirit can do, then I guess God will Judge me a sinner. Because, although it's the job of the Holy Spirit, and because I want to do it myself, force myself to be kind, force myself to be loving, force myself to be humble, and well, I'm having a heck of a time trying to force these things in myself, so I might not make it."

God knows where to drive us throughout your life to cause us to produce the Fruits of the Spirit. It's God's job, not yours. We are to "put off the old man." That's basically it; and we even need God's help with that. As we work to put off the old man, the flesh, and we must pray, we are "GIVEN" the fruits fo the Spirit. We cannot produce them because they only belong to the Spirit, which we are not. If you stop trying to do the Holy Spirit's job, then He can work through you. I'm also guilty of this, that's why I think I know what you might be experiencing.

God is working on you to produce HIS Fruits of the Spirit in you. Our conscience is to be clear in Christ because we are saved, and have received grace. If we doubt and fear, we place ourself back under the law; this is a sin. When I realized I was doing this, then I understood what "secret sins were." Sins I was unaware of. We must prey for help. That's what's required. Not worry that we can't do it. God does it.

I hope this helps!

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
fhansen, So you are concerned that your fruits are not reflective of the fruits of the Spirit, thus causing fear and concern about your salvation! I think that's what you are saying.

Well, you are right! Our fruits don't always reflect the fruits of the Spirit. But this seems to be what you are saying, "Oh, well, I guess I won't make it; I can't make my fruits reflect what only the Holy Spirit can do, then I guess God will Judge me a sinner. Because, although it's the job of the Holy Spirit, and because I want to do it myself, force myself to be kind, force myself to be loving, force myself to be humble, and well, I'm having a heck of a time trying to force these things in myself, so I might not make it."

God knows where to drive us throughout your life to cause us to produce the Fruits of the Spirit. It's God's job, not yours. We are to "put off the old man." That's basically it; and we even need God's help with that. As we work to put off the old man, the flesh, and we must pray, we are "GIVEN" the fruits fo the Spirit. We cannot produce them because they only belong to the Spirit, which we are not. If you stop trying to do the Holy Spirit's job, then He can work through you. I'm also guilty of this, that's why I think I know what you might be experiencing.

God is working on you to produce HIS Fruits of the Spirit in you. Our conscience is to be clear in Christ because we are saved, and have received grace. If we doubt and fear, we place ourself back under the law; this is a sin. When I realized I was doing this, then I understood what "secret sins were." Sins I was unaware of. We must prey for help. That's what's required. Not worry that we can't do it. God does it.

I hope this helps!
Doubting ourselves and having healthy fear when we sin, if and when we fail to love IOW in persistent and serious manner, has nothing to do with placing ourselves back under the law, as if overcoming sin, and acknowledging that we must, has nothing to do with walking in the Spirit. Again:
“Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.” Rom 8:12-13

“for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified”
Rom 2:13

The real point is that we can refuse God’s overtures to us in the beginning, or reject Him and His grace at any point along our walk later on. That walk involves a series of daily choices, of picking up our cross and following Him. Or turning back to Him if we’ve strayed off the path and fallen away.

None of this is simply a matter of resolving to believe rightly, but a matter of who we are, who we’ve become by the fellowship with God that faith has established.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Doubting ourselves and having healthy fear when we sin, if and when we fail to love IOW in persistent and serious manner, has nothing to do with placing ourselves back under the law, as if overcoming sin, and acknowledging that we must, has nothing to do with walking in the Spirit. Again:
“Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.” Rom 8:12-13

“for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified”
Rom 2:13

“Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

The above scripture: Apostle Paul is explaining who we are in Christ. He is saying because we are in Christ, we are not debtors to the flesh. He is saying, we don't live after the flesh, we live after the Spirit.

The part of the scripture that says, "if we put to death the deeds of the body, you will live, relates to a command in Romans 6:11, "Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin but alive unto God."

We have already been crucified with Christ. Nothing can change that. We are to recon ourselves dead, that's to know and believe our death with Christ has already taken place. This removed guilt, worry, and fear. God put us in Christ on the Cross. Therefore, we are in HIM. So, in Christ our sins have been washed away. We might make missteps, and sin, as we grow, but we are not judge sinners because of Christ. This clears our conscience. We just do what's being commanded in the gospel; put off the old man, which allows the Holy Spirit to work through us, so that we can walk holy before God, and to be doers of the law through the strength of God and not our own.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The part of the scripture that says, "if we put to death the deeds of the body, you will live, relates to a command in Romans 6:11, "Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin but alive unto God."
We need to stop reading through the lens of a skewed theology. Read with the understanding that the righteousness given to us is real, and necessary, but still optional, not guaranteed.:

“To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.”
Rom 2:7

“…just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
Rom 5:21

“For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— because anyone who has died has been set free from sin.” Rom 6:6

“Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?” Rom 6:16

"And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit." Rom 8:3-4

"...not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ--the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith." Phil 3:9

“Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.”
1 John 3:7-8

"Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Gal 6:7-9

We're only to count ourselves dead to sin because we are dead to sin, not just because we imagine it to be so. Christianity is not about imagination-but truth. And we know whether or not we sin- in thought and deed-whether or not the cup is clean on the inside IOW. The outside fruits eventually tell all.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sidon is right about grace, i had fallen from grace for a long time.

I think that your confusing things. Im going to call it grace with active faith, and grace with non-active for an explanationary example.

Grace with non active faith...
This is what your seeing, and understanding That we believe Jesus died for our sin, and now you can do whatever you want, you can break the law and sin, it dont really matter. Which is no wonder that your weary of this.

Grace with active faith

Grace with active faith is more, you come to the realization that you cannot leave sin behind yourself no matter how hard you try. If you manage to overcome one, more and more keep coming. You cant seem to love others enough, the love is always lacking.

Then you let go of it all completely and let Jesus take over, you start to turn to pray for cleansing of mind and heart, and ask Jesus to work his righteousness in you, rather then do it yourself.

You start to develop a much stronger love for God and others, which starts to affect every part of your life, your thoughts become alot more on God and ways to show love to others, while before it was more focused on sin.

Then the law starts to be fullfilled in you through faith and love, not be self effort but because Jesus has started working inside of you.

Each day you start to understand God and Jesus more and more, and you really start growing in Christ.

Hope this helps clear things up a little.
And that makes sense. Because then faith is considered useless unless it leads to righteousness, to more faith, along with hope, and, most importantly, love- to put it another way. When our state of actual justice or righteousness-with the fruits that would follow-is divorced from faith, we have a problem. And then our righteousness should be evident by that fruit born of love.
"The only thing that counts is faith working through love." Gal 5:6

And if it's not evident, if that love isn't present, then we're nothing, just straw.

Upvote 0

Chris35

May 27, 2018
Melbourne
✟56,154.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then this starts to set in...

4You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5For through the Spirit we eagerly await by faith the righteousness for which we hope.

Not that i am perfect now, I still sin, however so much less then before. Jesus has weeded out some nasty roots in my heart. He is giving and teaching me how to love others the way he does, and it is such a beautiful love. That I eagerly await by faith, for him to work more, to bring in me the righteousness that i hope for.

And thats what you were talking about before.

fhansen said:
So if one is made righteous, does this mean they can't sin anymore? And does the term made righteous mean they now possess the righteousness of God?

They are both wanting righteousness, and are worried that they havent been given it, or havent reached it yet, and it is the same righteousness that we eagerly await by faith, that Jesus will work into us or bring to us.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Then this starts to set in...

4You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5For through the Spirit we eagerly await by faith the righteousness for which we hope.

Not that i am perfect now, I still sin, however so much less then before. Jesus has weeded out some nasty roots in my heart. He is giving and teaching me how to love others the way he does, and it is such a beautiful love. That I eagerly await by faith, for him to work more, to bring in me the righteousness that i hope for.

And thats what you were talking about before.

fhansen said:

They are both wanting righteousness, and are worried that they havent been given it, or havent reached it yet, and it is the same righteousness that we eagerly await by faith, that Jesus will work into us or bring to us.
It’s a process IOW, one that’s not over until we meet the Just Judge and He gives His verdict. Meanwhile our confidence must never be divorced from a realistic assessment of our fruit, of how we live our lives regarding righteousness. We can have a strong assurance based on Gods trustworthiness together with good fruit in our lives but not absolute perfect certainty. That’s His province, and humility, alone, in light of human limitations, weaknesses, and sin demand that it’s not ours.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How does your construction, 'spiritual likeness', necessarily include absolute sovereignty of the creature, contrary to good logic which admits to only one absolute sovereign?

Do you paint ?
If you do then you are the creator.

God paints with LIFE, the colors of existence.
So, man is one of God creations.....among others.

Where this becomes interesting, is that Man is created with Free will, and chose to use it in a way that separated them from their Creator.
So, The Creator, came to man, as a Man, and offers restoration, reconciliation, and forgiveness, so that by the shed Blood of God, ......man is able to return to God.

This "blood atonement' is God's Gift to man that allows Him to rejoin God's Spiritual Family.

This is the "preaching of the Cross". This is the "gift of Salvation".

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Adam’s nature was sinful. So no, being made in God’s image has nothing to do with Adam’s nature.

Adam became the '"adamic nature after he sinned, or was disobedient to God's word.
However, prior to this, Adam was the same Nature as God, as God made Adam.

The SIN, was not from the beginning, as you find with Satan as from the Birth of Adam, He has the same Righteousness as God.
When a person is born again, they receive the righteousness of the 2nd Adam, as if they were always this, same.
This is to become "MADE Righteous"...>"The Gift of Righteousness".

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s a process IOW, one that’s not over until we meet the Just Judge and He gives His verdict.

The "verdict" for your sin, if you are born again, was already delivered while you were alive.

The born again become "the righteousness of GOD on earth"..

That's their "verdict".

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again what your saying sounds exactly like this statement “surely you will not die”. So exactly what does it mean to be in Christ?
‬‬

Christ is God.
So, to be "IN Christ" is the same as this...."One with God and Christ".

To get there, "you must be born again".

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Adam became the '"adamic nature after he sinned, or was disobedient to God's word.
However, prior to this, Adam was the same Nature as God, as God made Adam.

Adam never had the same nature as God. God is perfect in every way, Adam was far from perfect, not even comparable to God.

Upvote 0