✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The bible says:

Rom 8:28 And we know that to them that love God all things work together for good, even to them that are called according to his purpose.

God always has good plans for His children.

God's plan work together with our responses. When David sinned God said:

2Sa 12:7-8 And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith Jehovah, the God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul; and I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would have added unto thee such and such things.

God would have blessed David much more, but David's own sin prevented his own blessing. We need to be consistent in well doing:

Gal 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

So basically as we follow God, removing sin from our lives, God will bless us.
Thanks for the reply, Future. I italicized the last line of your post. Seems to me you're position is that free will (mostly regarding sin) is contingent on God's plan being executed. The passage you quote about David would certainly support your claim, but personally I think it's up for debate that God blesses the just with earthly things in our lifetime. I'm adding that one to my list of topics for posting.

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
1. Jeremiah 29:11. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Thanks for the response, Clint. This quote is pretty straightforward. The only thing that might be debateable is whether this quote applies to all or only to the OT population it was delivered to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Bible to me is clear, that there is hell. But His word does say it is not God's desire for anyone to so perish >

God "is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance." (in 2 Peter 3:9)

So, we should not be hoping or glad or expecting for anyone to go to hell!

Our Heavenly Father does not desire that anyone goes to hell, and He is our example, for how we need to love any and all people. So, no matter what explanation there might be about hell . . . I need to love any and all people, and have hope even for any evil person, at all > love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7).

After all, Christ on the cross so suffered and died with hope for any person. And He is our example of how to love >

"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." (Ephesians 5:2)

And so, then, this is included in God's plan . . . for Christians! :) This is the love meaning of scripture and hell and the cross. Jesus suffered and died like that, partly because He knows about hell and He considered it quite worthwhile . . . quite logical . . . to suffer that much so we don't go there.

So, our attention needs to go to feeding on the love meaning of God's word, not first to jumping to intellectual conclusions and explanations when we haven't got all the facts.

So, I would say be careful about just drawing logical conclusions while we don't know everything. If you felt the trunk of an elephant and started to draw conclusions, then and there, you could conclude an elephant is like a snake or you might think an elephant is like a vacuum cleaner tube!!

The therefore of scripture, then, is not first or only explanations of ideas and theories. But God is personal, loving, kind; and so comes our "Therefore" >

"Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." (1 Timothy 2:1-4)

So, yes God has this in His plan for every person who obeys God's word.

And He has us doing what He means by this > Philippians 2:13, Colossians 1:28-29. So, I would say He must have His plan for timing when and how we so pray, while we discover all else He has us doing to love and care for any and all people.

But what about ones who do not obey? Ones in pride can claim God does not have puppets, and then they run around getting themselves to do whatever they see fit. But God does have His plan in this life for ones who do things in their own egos >

"God resists the proud" > in James 4:6 and also in 1 Peter 5:5.

So, yes we all have God personally relating with every one of us . . . in the plan of His grace, or in the personal communication of His resistance.
thanks for the reply, comfy. You kinda lost me with the paragraph using the "elephant trunk" analogy, but other than that I would take you to mean that you believe God has an overall plan (which you'd almost have to believe if you're Christian), but I'm not taking you to mean that one's individual fate/destiny is controlled or even determined by God. Free will/choice required.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,400.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well if Jesus planned to save all sinners- He failed for even He said the super majority go to the lake off ire for eternity.

Yes Gods desire is none should persih, but the most do!

His plan is for only those He foreknows.

We're not supposed to debate in the "Christian advice" forum so I'm not going to answer.
But I disagree.
Start a thread in another forum and I'll tell you why.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,400.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the response, Clint. This quote is pretty straightforward. The only thing that might be debateable is whether this quote applies to all or only to the OT population it was delivered to.

We're not supposed to debate in the "Christian advice" forums, so I'll just say that I believe that applies to all, but it is taken out of context.

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
God has a plan for us, in the sense that God wants us to live in the way that Jesus showed us, a life of compassion and forgiveness. I think that God can imagine a version of PloverWing who is not corrupted by all of the sins I struggle with, a PloverWing who perfectly embodies the love and image of God, and God can work in me to perfect me in this way if I am open to God's presence in my life.

I don't think, though, that God's plan normally includes the many non-ethics-related choices we make: where to go to college, what city to live in, which house to buy, whom to marry. These are our free choice. I think God gives us freedom to explore the world, and the differences of choices we make adds to the delightful diversity of the world.

(I feel I should add a couple of disclaimers. 1) Once in a while, God tells someone to do something specific, like Abram leaving his homeland for a new land. If that happens, follow the instructions. 2) Some choices do have ethical issues hidden in them. If I choose a profession that profits by underpaying workers, or if I choose to live in a segregated, or integrated, neighborhood, choices like that can have ethical components. So pay attention to details. But generally, these kinds of choices are freely our decision.)
Thanks for the reply, Plover. I'll put down you for "free-will". I seem to be getting a lot of responses that include the sentiment of your first sentence. I think it's implied(and/or accepted) for all Christians that God has an overall plan. I'm looking for how much of one's individual life is determined/controlled by God. Which you've answered, so thanks, again.
Btw, I wish God would tell me to do something specific. Then I wouldn't need to be searching for answers.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,360.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

We're not supposed to debate in the "Christian advice" forums, so I'll just say that I believe that applies to all, but it is taken out of context.

Maybe the thread could be moved if the OP agrees.

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This post reminds me of the song "Turn Turn Turn" by The Byrds, which is based on Ecclessiastes 3:1-8. I know it does not really apply to your question though, being about a specific time for everything, not why God made each of us in the first place.

The Bible certainly does say everyone has a purpose in life. Jeremiah 1:5 is an example. God conceived a boy specifically to make him a prophet, not just let Jeremiah decide he wanted to be a prophet.
thanks for the reply, CFC. I'm familiar with the song, but not so familiar that I know the lyrics well (also must confess I'm not all that familiar with the passage referenced- no link and I'm short on time at the moment). I'm pretty sure Crosby is an atheist so if he had anything to do with the writing I'd be surprised if the passage is presented in a good light. The Jeremiah 1:5 quote is an excellent reference to support your position, I think.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Full lyrics of Turn Turn Turn by The Byrds:

To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time to every purpose, under heaven

A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep

A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together

A time of love, a time of hate
A time of war, a time of peace
A time you may embrace, a time to refrain from embracing

A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time for love, a time for hate
A time for peace, I swear it's not too late

Ecclesiastes 3 NIV (See 1-8)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Do you mean a particular plan for each one of us? Like, God's plan for Bob is that he should be a lawyer, husband to Cheryl, a father of five children, a hobby gardener, drive a blue Chevy Suburban, and serve as a Sunday School teacher in his church? Or do you mean God's general will for all of us: Love God with all you are, love your neighbor as you love yourself, live a holy life, honor Christ, etc?

In the record of Scripture, when God had a particular plan for someone, He was typically very direct and plain about communicating that plan to them. Think Gideon, or Abraham, or Moses, or Elijah, or Paul, for examples. God had particular plans for them - but not, though, at every turn of their entire lives. And we don't read in the OT that God acted so directly with everybody else in Israel, do we? Not every Christian in the NT had a Damascus Road experience, did they? So, God may have some particular thing or things He may want you to do, and if He does, He'll make it very plain to you what they are (if Scripture is anything to go by). Generally, though, I think He has given us all the commands, principles, wisdom and truth of His word - His general will for us all - by which we are to navigate through life.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
Psalms 119:104-105
Psalms 1

Free will. (In my view, what is known as soft libertarianism.) No one truly loves God who has been programmed or compelled by Him to do so. When God gives us the capacity to truly love Him, that is, to choose freely to love Him, He necessarily also gives us the capacity not to do so. And when we choose to love ourselves rather than God, well, the result is sin, judgment and death (eternally in Hell, for many). God certainly doesn't desire this for anyone, but He will not compel anyone into loving Him. That's a nonsensical idea, on its face.

In an overarching sense, God controls everything. That is, however chaotic things may seem from our perspective, everything is working to the end God wants. But just as a master chessplayer doesn't need to order everything I might do in a game of chess with him in order to win against me, God doesn't need to ordain every little thing I do in order to see His purposes fulfilled in and through my life.

www.soteriology101.com
www.reasonablefaith.com (search Molinism)
Thanks for the reply, Aiki. Yes, I do mean a particular plan like for Bob to be a lawyer. Which I take you to answer with a "no". Unless you happen to be one of the chosen ones in which case the plan will be plainly communicated to you by, well God's voice, if I'm to use the Biblical figures you present as an example. But for just a "slob like one of us, stranger on a bus...", no.(Joan Osborne song reference if you're not familiar) Our choices determine our fate (free will).
In an overarching sense, God controls everything. That is, however chaotic things may seem from our perspective, everything is working to the end God wants.
Forgive me, but for some reason I'm drawn to the parallels I'm seeing in this thread to a book written by James Allen called "Mastery of Destiny" and keep wanting to refer to it. He doesn't appear to be Christian in the way that we are, but he also doesn't come off as this staunch antichrist.
He basically subscribes to what you're saying, yet he doesn't attribute to God specifically, but rather to the laws of the universe (physics, death, etc..). His assertion is that the laws are designed towards good and justice and cannot be altered, that evil will not work and will ultimately reduce one to his own misery. God forgive me, but this is making sense to me, so I try to attribute these laws of the universe as created by God.

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Unlike a dog or a cat, who always fulfill their purpose, always doing God's will in their little way while unconscious of that fact, or like a flower that blossoms into it's full purpose and destiny without playing a part in that event, a human is like a flower that does play a role in determining whether or not it will blossom. While we don't create the plan, and while we don't define or even know what our blossoming will ultimately consist of or look like, we can stubbornly resist and refuse God's plan, and never reach the potential, the perfection, He created us for.
thanks for the reply, fhansen. I'll put you down for free-will as opposed to a specific plan. Cats, dogs and flowers not included.

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
From one aspect I think God's plan is the same for everyone, to lead us to repentance and faith in Christ (John 3:16). The problem is we don't always do what God calls us to, so there will be loss. God always wants the best for us, and that is not always what we by worldy standards like to call "the best".

We can be called for a purpose, then because of money, fame, women/men, cowardness or simply worldly love fail to live God's purpose for our life. It can be a scary thought, but well worth to remember.
Thanks for the reply, zoidar. I'll put you down for free-will as opposed to a specific plan for every individual. I like to think that it's understood/accepted by all Christians that God has an overall/general plan beyond each individual (referring to your first sentence).

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the reply, CFC. I'm familiar with the song, but not so familiar that I know the lyrics well (also must confess I'm not all that familiar with the passage referenced - no link and I'm short on time at the moment). I'm pretty sure Crosby is an atheist so if he had anything to do with the writing I'd be surprised if the passage is presented in a good light. The Jeremiah 1:5 quote is an excellent reference to support your position, I think.

I did not see the name Crosby anywhere. He must have sung it after The Byrds did. He did not write Turn Turn Turn.

The lyrics are not exact, but very close to Ecclessiastes 3:1-8.

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yes, God has a plan for us. But He didn't create us as pre-programmed robots who can do only His will and follow only His plan. He created us with the gift of free will, the right and ability to make our own choices. He clearly described His plan, the way to follow it, and the result of following it or rejecting it. But He allows us to accept His teaching and His instructions, or reject them.
Thanks for the reply Paul. I'll put you down for "free-will". Most responders seem to be pointing out that God has a plan for the universe, which I think all Christians would almost have to agree to. Although I don't know if you're implying (in your first sentence) that God has a specific plan for each individual that we can reject or adhere to. I.e. if I decided to not go to that job interview did I reject God's plan for me work for that particular company?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TedT

Member since Job 38:7
Jan 11, 2021
Vancouver Island
✟85,846.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God has a plan for you. I hear this as a Christian all the time. Is this supported in the Bible? Do you believe this is so?
Yes:
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Psalm 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.

And if it is so, why would anyone end up in Hell? Doesn’t seem that would be God’s plan for anyone.
Exactly!!

Philippians 2:13...for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

Isaiah 46:10 "... saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:"

The idea that HE created some evil just to go to hell not only against HIS loving righteousness and justice, it denys a number of verses:
Ezekiel 18:32 For I take no pleasure in anyone's death, declares the Lord GOD. So repent and live!
1 Timothy 2:4...who wants everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
No, no one is in hell because GOD wants them there or needs evil or hell for any reason. They are there because they made a free will decision to sin the unforgivable sin in full knowledge of the consequences but proceeded against HIM putting their faith in the idea that HE was a liar and a false god. For free will to mean anything it must be sacrosanct from being changed because GOD thought it was a bad choice. Since they became sinners, enslaved by sin, they had no power to repent in themselves and, having freely rejected any and all help from YHWH, they sealed their own fate.

(...But the need for a Hell could be a topic for another discussion.)
There was NO need for hell whatsoever. The light has no need or use for darkness. If a theology contains evil and hell as a necessity of creation, not the sinners free will, then it is wrong, imC0.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I did not see the name Crosby anywhere. He must have sung it after The Byrds did. He did not write Turn Turn Turn.

The lyrics are not exact, but very close to Ecclessiastes 3:1-8.
David Crosby (CSNY fame- but Y was the heavy hitter in that ensamble, Imo) was with the Byrds for a while. Maybe he'd already left the band by the time the song was written.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
thanks for the reply, fhansen. I'll put you down for free-will as opposed to a specific plan. Cats, dogs and flowers not included.
I was speaking in broad brushstrokes there, as to what applies across the board. But any gift, whether faith or love or the gift of prophecy, teaching, etc come from God but are accepted and acted upon by us-or not. So you can put me down for man freely cooperating with God's will in any case-because, yes, I believe He has specific plans tailored to our personalities, abilities, opportunities, etc, that may include our humble housecleaning job as well as feeding the hungry, encouraging the doubtful and hopeless, witnessing to our faith (all should do that but some are better at it than others), visiting the sick or imprisoned, the monastic life, art, science, etc, etc.

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It is no contradiction. James does not say salvation is a result of works. To say, "faith by itself is not enough" begs the question --not enough for what? James is not saying it is not enough for salvation. He is saying that if the faith happens without works, it is dead faith.
well, Ok. That could work. Thanks for helping try to sort this one out. I'd have to take a closer look at James, though. Because, yes, I did take him to mean for salvation.

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I haven't read him, but look at the logic here. If everything (short of First Cause, of course) is a result of cause and effect, you do NOT initiate the cause. You do indeed cause, though, (and maybe that is all you meant.) --most effects are not dead-end; they also cause further effects.
I'm not following the distinction you're trying to make between "you do not initiate" and "you do indeed cause". I get the feeling that maybe that is all I meant, though.

Upvote 0