fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Welcome! Your right. If God has a plan for everyone, then a lot of things would not really make sense like, God planned for one person to be saved and not the other. This is not in God's character as His wish would be that all be saved. This requires one to accept the free gift of salvation.
Be blessed.
Thanks, Maria. I'll put you down for "free-will".

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I never liked the version used on this site anyway and bookmarked Bible Hub, where I can read any Bible version I want. The verse numbers are links on chapter pages. You can do it here:

Bible Hub: Search, Read, Study the Bible in Many Languages

If good works were the key to entering heaven, nobody would need to know God is real to get there.
Thanks for the link, CFC. I'm finding here that there is more variety in, I'm struggling for the right word- not necessarily interpretation, maybe "choice of wording" , between versions of the Bible than I was aware of. I find that unsettling.

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
God does have a plan for you, and yes that is supported by scripture, but the overwhelming majority of people who say that, don’t actually believe it.
thanks for the response, marty. So no such thing as fate or chance concerning your destiny/lot in life, then? All controlled by God?

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
God surely has a plan for everyone and it does not include the lake of fire. However, that is plan A. Plan B is when people foolishly reject plan A. Plan B means the lake of fire. No born again believer entirely misses plan A. However, it is possible to miss out on fulfilling plan A to a greater or lesser degree. God gives us the choice. That is as plain as day from God's word. It is really simple. Every individual is the sum total of what he/she chooses to be.
thanks for the reply, Aussie Pete. I'll put you down for "free will".
Dangit. There it is again. I'm going to annoy anyone who is reading my responses because I keep referring to James Allen. I don't want to promote the dude here because he doesn't exactly line up with Christianity, but your last sentence is the whole essence of his book "As A Man Thinketh".

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Proverbs 16:4

God knows who would choose Him and who would reject Him from the beginning. The plan for those who reject Him, is yes, torment in Hell. The evil that they do in the world will be turned towards God's overall plan of redemption somehow, for the good of God's people in the end.
But for themselves.. it doesn't pan out well.
Thanks for the reply, Jamdoc.
Heh-heh. Doesn't pan out well indeed. Harsh. I'm getting responses that cover both ends of the spectrum. Your response goes to the very top (side?) of the spectrum on the "yes, God does have a specific plan for you" side. I'm taking you to mean that yes, some people are just born to go to hell. And your reference certainly seems to support this. Hope I'm not one of those poor b***trds. I guess Judas could be a shining example to make your point. I think Jesus even says somewhere that it'd have been best if he wasn't born at all.

Upvote 0

TedT

Member since Job 38:7
Jan 11, 2021
Vancouver Island
✟85,846.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
thanks for the response, marty. So no such thing as fate or chance concerning your destiny/lot in life, then? All controlled by God?
Yes I agree with this. Andno, I'm not contradicting my earlier post. Free will is an absolute necessity to fulfill GOD's purpose for us but not here, not now...sinners have no free will.

GOD has predetermined our LIVES (not our FATES) because we are sinners here on earth and therefore have no free will until after our rebirth. HE has predetermined our lives in accordance with the sinful choices we chose before our conception when HE elected some to be HIS Bride and passed over the others as unfit for HIS purpose and so were condemned.

All life on earth is HIS perfect response to the sin of the sinful good seed, the sinful elect, to bring them back to their Shepherd from whom they went astray, 1 Peter 2:25 For "you were like sheep going astray," but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I don't reject God.
but I still missed out on plan A. God crippled me to tell me "no, I don't want you to do that even though i can understand why you'd think it'd be a good thing"
so maybe I'm on plan B, but I don't think it's the lake of fire. Just.. not as good of a plan as the original plan He was trying to guide me to and I wasn't a good listener.
I lack the resources or physical condition to carry out anything I actually have any God given talent for now.. so yeah.. I'm pretty sure I missed it.
well if you feel like you've missed out on some opportunities in life you might find some comfort (or not) in knowing that you're not the only one.
That's why I've posed this question. I feel like God could have helped me enjoy those opportunities with a break here or there, but the ball always seemed to bounce in the wrong direction. And every time it did I told myself, "trust in God, he'll help you with this". But he never did and now I'm suffering for it and wondering if this is God's plan or was it my own undoing?

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I've been hearing this for years too - "God has a plan for you/this might not be God's will for you". And I used to feel fearful in case I missed his will or messed up his plan for my life.
But while I believe that God can call us to anything he pleases, and it might be that he calls us to live in certain places or go to a certain church, I don't believe that God has a detailed plan for us and we mess things up if we don't discover and follow it.
I'm not certain that God minds too much whether we choose to become a scientist in a lab or a science teacher, an engineer or a plumber, a teacher or a nurse - I think the important thing is that we belong to him, live for him, be salt and light in the communities that we find ourselves and glorify him by using the gifts that he has given to us and by being the people he has called us to be.

Because some people choose not to know, obey, or even think about God -some feel they just don't need/want him.

I don't think hell was designed for humans - I think that God wants all those whom he created in his image, to know him.

If God wanted to "control" us at all I think he would have made us like robots, to always worship and love God, never to sin and obey him because we were programmed in that way and could do nothing else.

I had M.E for 18 years.
I don't believe it was sent by God, nor do I believe that I was "destined" to get it. I don't think it was even "chance" that I got it and not my brothers. It was no one's fault, but there were a number of contributing factors - suspected glandular fever as a child, a weakened immune system, a stressful job and series of events.
I believe strongly that God was at work during that time - he didn't send it to teach me stuff or as a punishment, but I learned a lot through it, and what it meant to trust him for strength. I also believe that he answered prayer and healed me, literally overnight, from it.
thanks for the reply, Strong.
I'm taking you to be pretty much in the "free-will" category, that God does not have a specific plan for us. I like that you addressed the "hand of fate" portion of the question. Most who respond with "free-will" overlook it. Free-will for the most part would imply that we determine our fate/destiny through our actions, but what about disease/illness? That's certainly not something that one chooses. It appears that the laws of this world as it pertains to percentages dictates that bad luck (illness) is going to land on a portion of us. I guess the question then becomes is God (beyond creating them) involved in these laws. (i.e. does God already know or determine beforehand if it's going to be heads or tails). You say God did not send your disease so I would draw the conclusion in a belief that the hand of fate is simply just that- the hand of fate.

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
God has a plan for everyone who walks this earth. Every action in history was foreknown and foreordained by God. The bible supports this all over the place but, I'll make my point in 3 verses. Just take a look at the Lamb's book of life where the saved are contained in its very pages. See Revelation 21:26-27:

26 They will bring into it the glory and the honor of the nations. nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, 27 but only those who are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

The Lamb's book of life was written before time began, before Adam and Eve were created and before any part of the universe was formed. Paul proves this when he wrote his letter to the Ephesians.

Ephesians 1:4

even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him.

And King David when he wrote Psalm 139:16:

Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
And in Your book were all written
The days that were ordained for me,
When as yet there was not one of them.

The "unsaved" were not chosen by God but their destinies were determined by God from before he formed the Earth. You should not be asking the question, "How is this fair?" you should be on your hands and knees praising God for his grace and mercy.

Why? God didn't have to choose even one of us, every last one of us deserves God's wrath and punishment. I do, you do, we all do. God showed extreme love and mercy for his people when while we were yet sinners? God DIED for us so that we could be reconciled TO him. He didn't die for Satan or his demons who equally deserve the same punishment we do for the same crime but, he died for US because he chose us, he loves us more than anything in the whole world and he foreordained us and took us out of the world and said "You are mine."

He also didn't die for one person, twenty, a thousand, or even a million people. He died for an innumerable amount of people from across the globe. From every tribe, people, and nation.

If that doesn't show God's love, I don't know what could.
Wow. I just submitted a reply to someone stating that he was at the farthest end of the spectrum in the "Yes God has specific plan for you" category, but you're right there with him. I'm taking you also to mean that some people are just destined by God for hell. And like the other poster, you offer some convincing references. I'd have to check context on the Revelations reference though. At first glance I would assume that people would earn their way into the book of life as opposed to them being listed before time began. And your references to support this don't really specify the book of life, although the David quote days say "Your book" so maybe you're right. I was telling the other poster I hope I'm not one of the unsaved. Guess I'll have to wait to find out, or....?

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The question that you pose is an interesting one and I am undecided on the answer., However, I am going to surprise some here by relating a story about my late great uncle. He was a very devout Baptist. Still, he once told me that he felt it was fine for someone to become a pastor, if that is what they desired. However, he did not believe that God called anyone into the ministry. He did not say whether his premise applied to all areas of our lives or not. If pressed, I would say that God probably does not have specific plans for our lives, but I leave the door open for such a possibility.

As for salvation, I certainly do not believe that God totally decides who will and who will not be saved. If this is true, then we are but puppets on a string.
thanks for the reply, Basil.
If I was to offer a list of multiple choice of all possible answers for this question I do believe all of the boxes would have been checked by at least one responder. Including "Undecided" which is where you seem to be on this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
God has a plan for His children, not for those who are not!

Gods will is the same for every believer, but His plan is unique to each and every one who is a believer.
Philippians 2:12-14
King James Version

12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

God has no relationship with th elost so there is no plan for them.
Thanks for the reply, nolidad.
I'm taking you to say that God does have a specific plan for individuals, but only those who believe. Non believers are on their own. You don't say if this means non-believers are bound for hell or misfortune on earth, but I guess that doesn't matter. In the spirit of my question/post I guess you could be pressed to explain if you believe God's children/believers are predertimined by God..i.e. are you one of God's children(or not) because that's part of his plan?

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
We're not supposed to debate in the "Christian advice" forums, so I'll just say that I believe that applies to all, but it is taken out of context.
I'm new here. Is "debate" a bad word? Guess I coulda use "discussable" but I'm not sure that's even a word.

Upvote 0

Steve Husting

Jan 1, 2021
Fountain Valley
Visit site
✟10,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
God has a plan for you. I hear this as a Christian all the time. Is this supported in the Bible?

God's plan is found in several places in the Bible. You can read Romans 8:29, that we would be formed into the image of Jesus. That's part of His plan.

1 Corinthians 1:8 tells us that He wants to make us blameless for when He comes back.

Galatians 5:22-24 tells us that He wants a crucified people who will bear the fruit of the Spirit.

Philippians 2:5-8 tells us that God's plan is that we have the mind of Christ who humbled Himself to obey God, even to death.

Colossians 1:27 tells us that God wants us to know Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Every book in the NT enlarges upon God's wonderful plan for His children.

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Maybe the thread could be moved if the OP agrees.
I'm new here, so I don't know what OP stands for. If that's me, I don't care what you guys want to do with this thread. I only posted here per the advice of a member when I introduced myself. Seems unecessary, though. Can't we just pretend I used the word "discuss" as oppossed to "debate"? Again, I'm new (my first post), so forgive me if that last sentence is offensive/uninformed due the history of this site.

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yes:
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Psalm 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.

Exactly!!

Philippians 2:13...for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

Isaiah 46:10 "... saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:"

The idea that HE created some evil just to go to hell not only against HIS loving righteousness and justice, it denys a number of verses:
Ezekiel 18:32 For I take no pleasure in anyone's death, declares the Lord GOD. So repent and live!
1 Timothy 2:4...who wants everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
No, no one is in hell because GOD wants them there or needs evil or hell for any reason. They are there because they made a free will decision to sin the unforgivable sin in full knowledge of the consequences but proceeded against HIM putting their faith in the idea that HE was a liar and a false god. For free will to mean anything it must be sacrosanct from being changed because GOD thought it was a bad choice. Since they became sinners, enslaved by sin, they had no power to repent in themselves and, having freely rejected any and all help from YHWH, they sealed their own fate.

There was NO need for hell whatsoever. The light has no need or use for darkness. If a theology contains evil and hell as a necessity of creation, not the sinners free will, then it is wrong, imC0.
thanks for the reply, Ted.
The first line of your response made me think you were in the "God has an unalterable plan for you" category, but it appears you believe in "free-will".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I was speaking in broad brushstrokes there, as to what applies across the board. But any gift, whether faith or love or the gift of prophecy, teaching, etc come from God but are accepted and acted upon by us-or not. So you can put me down for man freely cooperating with God's will in any case-because, yes, I believe He has specific plans tailored to our personalities, abilities, opportunities, etc, that may include our humble housecleaning job as well as feeding the hungry, encouraging the doubtful and hopeless, witnessing to our faith (all should do that but some are better at it than others), visiting the sick or imprisoned, the monastic life, art, science, etc, etc.
So, blessed with abilities/opportunties by God, but free-will to use them?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My view on this has always been that God had a plan for a few people in the bible, but for the most part, there is no personal plan.

A guess he figures just making it to heaven is enough of a job for most of us, and if there is something more we'd like to do for God, we'll make our own plan.

Why do people constantly make the claim, God has a plan for you? No idea. I guess they say it because others say it, or because it's something they would like to believe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
God's plan is found in several places in the Bible. You can read Romans 8:29, that we would be formed into the image of Jesus. That's part of His plan.

1 Corinthians 1:8 tells us that He wants to make us blameless for when He comes back.

Galatians 5:22-24 tells us that He wants a crucified people who will bear the fruit of the Spirit.

Philippians 2:5-8 tells us that God's plan is that we have the mind of Christ who humbled Himself to obey God, even to death.

Colossians 1:27 tells us that God wants us to know Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Every book in the NT enlarges upon God's wonderful plan for His children.
Thanks for the reply, Steve.
But I'm wondering about God's plan for an individual. That's usually how the phrase is presented, particularly to someone who is complaining about misfortune. "I didn't get the job", or "I have diabetes". "Well,God has a plan for you, so take heart". I think all Christians would almost have to believe that God has a plan in his overall creation of things. What I'm wondering is was it God, fate, or his own actions that caused him to not get the job?

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
thanks for the reply, Aussie Pete. I'll put you down for "free will".
Dangit. There it is again. I'm going to annoy anyone who is reading my responses because I keep referring to James Allen. I don't want to promote the dude here because he doesn't exactly line up with Christianity, but your last sentence is the whole essence of his book "As A Man Thinketh".
Yes. I think it is an insult to both man and God to deny that man has free will. It's way more complex than just that statement, but it is true nonetheless.

Upvote 0

Hanging by a Thread

Jan 31, 2021
fulton
✟15,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My view on this has always been that God had a plan for a few people in the bible, but for the most part, there is no personal plan.

A guess he figures just making it to heaven is enough of a job for most of us, and if there is something more we'd like to do for God, we'll make our own plan.

Why do people constantly make the claim, God has a plan for you? No idea. I guess they say it because others say it, or because it's something they would like to believe.
thanks for the reply, Kenny.
pretty straightforward. free-will.

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0