JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Onions can cause gas...cabbage can cause it..MANY helathy foods can result in having SOME gas..So can chewign gum..and carbonated drinks..eating to fast ..lots of things..I wouldnt eliminate a powerhouse of nutrition such as many vegetables and most fruits to try and keep my body from producign gas...not beans or whole grains either..its silly..Im not "embarrassed" that along with ALL other animal species..eating the foods that keep me HEALTHY and how my body processes them leave sometimes the after affect(by product) of "gas" and maybe a burp here and there..what are we going to do next?call having a bowel movement or needign to urinate(which is the BY PRODUCT of foods and liquids) a "condition" that we need to try and eliminate and just stop eating and drinking all together?

Dallas
Yes. I was reading about the cruciferous vegetables and thinking 'wow, I'm surprised you didn't explode from all that stuff.' ^_^ Those veggies give me gas, and so do nuts. I truly cannot eat more than a few nuts once a week. Any more than that and I will get appalling gas AND diarrhea. And yet nuts in moderation are considered to be healthy. Grains don't do that to me. Cruciferous vegetables do.

I would not avoid any healthy foods just on the basis that they occasionally give my body a hard time. It's just silly to do so. Vegetables are such a wonderful source of vitamins and health, as is fruit, and while I am less on the grains, I'm not going to quit it entirely.

It's moderation that is the key. I have seen the studies on the damage done to the body by eating a lot of animal products. High instances of colonic cancer being one of them. I have made the decision - for moral and health reasons - to no longer eat meat. Other than that, it's moderation for me on everything else. :)

ETA - it is my theory that the human gut changes over time. In my childhood I ate copious amounts of salted peanuts - I mean, I cannot even count how many, because my grandparents would buy huge quantities and I would snack on them every weekend at their house. Now, I could not eat more than a dozen. Same thing with chocolate. It will give me diarrhea if I eat too much. Maybe the body's tolerance changes, or it's just a normal aging process. Dunno.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. I was reading about the cruciferous vegetables and thinking 'wow, I'm surprised you didn't explode from all that stuff.' ^_^ Those veggies give me gas, so do NUTS. I truly cannot eat more than a few nuts once a week. Any more than that and I will get appalling gas AND diarrhea. And yet nuts in moderation are considered to be healthy. Grains don't do that to me. Cruciferous vegetables do.

I would not avoid any healthy foods just on the basis that they occasionally give my body a hard time. It's just silly to do so. Vegetables are such a wonderful source of vitamins and health, as is fruit, and while I am less on the grains, I'm not going to quit it entirely.

It's moderation that is the key. I have seen the studies on the damage done to the body by eating a lot of animal products. High instances of colonic cancer being one of them. I have made the decision - for moral and health reasons - to no longer eat meat. Other than that, it's moderation for me on everything else. :)
I'm awful at chewing my food. I was wondering if chewing doesn't have an impact on these kinds of foods that produce a lot of...wind.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm awful at chewing my food. I was wondering if chewing doesn't have an impact on these kinds of foods that produce a lot of...wind.
Yeah, you are supposed to eat slowly, chew every mouthful thoroughly because "inhaling" food is not good for you. That said, I could chew a nut for an hour and it would still irritate my gut.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There are herbs that help support our digestive system in order to metabolize our foods better....so we don't experience all the gas.

Agastache tops, crataegus fruit, hoelen sclerotium, magnolia bark, oryza fruit shen-chu whole plant, citrus peel, gastrodia rhizome, ginseng root, typhonium rhizome, atractylodes rhizome, cardamon fruit, platycodon root, ginger rhizome and licorice root are a few.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
There are herbs that help support our digestive system in order to metabolize our foods better....so we don't experience all the gas.

Agastache tops, crataegus fruit, hoelen sclerotium, magnolia bark, oryza fruit shen-chu whole plant, citrus peel, gastrodia rhizome, ginseng root, typhonium rhizome, atractylodes rhizome, cardamon fruit, platycodon root, ginger rhizome and licorice root are a few.
I might have to visit my local alchemist to pick up some of that!
^_^

(you Skyrim players will know what I'm talking about there...;))
Skyrim:Ingredients - UESPWiki

Reactions: Lilymay
Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes no matter what it is ..we need to chew it more..not just ot break it up with our teeth.but our saliva has digestive enzymes that starts to chemically break it down before it hits our tum tums..Also I have read this and it makes sense..we shoudlnt drink any liquids with our food not even water(WITH th emeal..before and after is fine) because the water DILUTES our digetive enzymes and weakens there concentration ..

Anyway yeah ..I think we can individually be more or LESS 'tolerant" on a varying degree from very tolerant to intolerant of different foods..I know my grandbaby moma cant tolerate onions..you can expect SOME gas from onions..but she gets bothersome stomach cramps..and excessive bloating and gas from just a small/ moderate amounts of onions..so yeah she should avoid them..I on the other hand..can eat RAW onions..cooked onions etc..in moderate portions with no obvious bad side affects..So..onions are GOOD for me..I like them..and i eat them whenever I feel like it..DUH! LOL!!

What I have to "minimize is hot peppers like jalepenia...those buggers I LOVE going down..NOT so much out the other end..OUCH!!I still will eat them..just not in large amounts and infrequently...its a "trade" off when I do...

Dallas

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Yes no matter what it is ..we need to chew it more..not just ot break it up with our teeth.but our saliva has digestive enzymes that starts to chemically break it down before it hits our tum tums..Also I have read this and it makes sense..we shoudlnt drink any liquids with our food not even water(WITH th emeal..before and after is fine) because the water DILUTES our digetive enzymes and weakens there concentration ..

Anyway yeah ..I think we can individually be more or LESS 'tolerant" on a varying degree from very tolerant to intolerant of different foods..I know my grandbaby moma cant tolerate onions..you can expect SOME gas from onions..but she gets bothersome stomach cramps..and excessive bloating and gas from just a small/ moderate amounts of onions..so yeah she should avoid them..I on the other hand..can eat RAW onions..cooked onions etc..in moderate portions with no obvious bad side affects..So..onions are GOOD for me..I like them..and i eat them whenever I feel like it..DUH! LOL!!

What I have to "minimize is hot peppers like jalepenia...those buggers I LOVE going down..NOT so much out the other end..OUCH!!I still will eat them..just not in large amounts and infrequently...its a "trade" off when I do...

Dallas
I've been told not to drink until about 20 minutes after you eat. I try to observe that, but I do like to at least rinse my mouth with water.

Upvote 0

Sailor_A

Jun 7, 2011
Earth
✟8,352.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe whole grains are a big reason why so many Americans are sick. That and junk food.

I would have to say that the word "chemical" can mean different things. It would seem silly to use that argument to justify eating processed foods.

I looked at your no grains site. There seem to be a lot of recipes with diary products. My body in general does not agree with diary products. I get a lot of gas lol. If I exclude all grains then I'd probably just be eating fruits and vegetables. Only you said fruits were bad too since they have sugar...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Perhaps add eye of newt?

Upvote 0

Athene

Grammatically incorrect
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
✟42,546.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I looked at your no grains site. There seem to be a lot of recipes with diary products. My body in general does not agree with diary products. I get a lot of gas lol. If I exclude all grains then I'd probably just be eating fruits and vegetables. Only you said fruits were bad too since they have sugar...

And beans too..so no fruit, no beans(I forgot are nuts against our nature?)..NO grains..(that woud be rice, oats, wheat ) so what does that leave?MEAT and dairy(and Im NOT going to eat meat or dairy besdides some fish and occassional eggs very limited cheese )..

So for me?all I would get to eat is vegetables...and fish and eggs..but wait..not all vegetables..none of the ones that might cause gas..which is about half of them..

I would be starving..with all kinds of vitamin deficiencies..if I ate like that..Especially becasue Im nto goignot eat fish every single day or eggs..so sounds liek most days I woud be stuck with a bowl of mixed greens and maybe a potato..Im sure I coudl live off of that..but Im certainly not going to being that there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO cut out foods that are good for me..and that have MINIMAL impact in a negative way on the enviroment unlike meat..

Dallas

hmm...NO THANKS..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sailor_A

Jun 7, 2011
Earth
✟8,352.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And beans too..so no fruit, no beans(I forgot are nuts against our nature?)..NO grains..(that woud be rice, oats, wheat ) so what does that leave?MEAT and dairy(and Im NOT going to eat meat or dairy besdides some fish and occassional eggs very limited cheese )..

So for me?all I would get to eat is vegetables...and fish and eggs..but wait..not all vegetables..none of the ones that might cause gas..which is about half of them..

I would be starving..with all kinds of vitamin deficiencies..if I ate like that..Especially becasue Im nto goignot eat fish every single day or eggs..so sounds liek most days I woud be stuck with a bowl of mixed greens and maybe a potato..Im sure I coudl live off of that..but Im certainly not going to being that there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO cut out foods that are good for me..and that have MINIMAL impact in a negative way on the enviroment unlike meat..

Dallas

hmm...NO THANKS..

I think I agree. It is hard as there are many conflicting messages about what is healthy. I think eating too much meat can be bad for you. I hardly eat any. I do not wish to further restrict my diet. It seems sensible to eat from all food groups but maybe in different proportions. I may limit my intake of fruit from now on because I seem to forget about the sugar.

Upvote 0
S

susie1979

Sailor_A said:
I think I agree. It is hard as there are many conflicting messages about what is healthy. I think eating too much meat can be bad for you. I hardly eat any. I do not wish to further restrict my diet. It seems sensible to eat from all food groups but maybe in different proportions. I may limit my intake of fruit from now on because I seem to forget about the sugar.

I eat small meals. It good to have some meat but not alot..I think alot of ppl don't realize their portions tht they serve are 2-3 servings

Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

Dallas, forgive me if you have already mentioned this, but when you eat the fruit as a whole, you get the fiber with i, so the sugar content doesn't effect you the same way it would if it were a juice, or even worse, refined sugar.

Something else too, that I am not sure whether it has been mentioned or not, is that eating whole fruits may well have benefits that haven;t even been discovered yet. What I mean is that many nutrients are catalysts for other nutrients. In order for them to be effective, they need those catalysts. They are discovering more and more of these all of the time. So, unless the fruit in question, is discovered to be the forbidden fruit, ;) then I would not rule out the fruit as being nutritious.

Upvote 0