JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This looks like a good place to post this. Just grabbed this off Facebook.
Princeton University - A sweet problem: Princeton researchers find that high-fructose corn syrup prompts considerably more weight gain

It's not about grain, but how obesity is increased by high fructose corn syrup.
High fructose corn syrup is evil! :mad:

A more relevant comment about grain. I'm sure people in those days didn't over-indulge like we do with bread. We have sedentary lifestyles increasingly and that contributes. It's one thing to eat bread. It's another to eat a lot of processed (I know all bread is processed, I'm talking about the stuff with all sorts of additives and junk) bread with pretty much everything and then just sitting around. Even with doing martial arts three times a week, I don't get nearly enough exercise. So I am an example of someone who does this.
Yes. A healthy lifestyle enables people to eat most foods in moderation. :) You can find very simple, healthy breads if you search hard enough. I can't stand bread that is loaded with sugar. When I first tasted American bread, I just gave an almighty YUCK. In fact, it was a tuna sandwich in American bead, and the tuna was YUCK too because it had that stuff in it, I dunno, some vegetable 'soup' they put in with tuna here. Of course, if I pay 1.80 per can, I can get the low sodium tuna with no vegetable soup, so that's what I do. Sigh. I pay 50c to get an ingredient removed. How about that? Most off-the-shelf American breads - yuck. I have to specifically search for the bread that doesn't have that sweet taste, and has 3-4g of fiber per slice, and is natural, whole wheat, with as few chemicals as possible. It can be done. Try your health food store.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
High fructose corn syrup is evil! :mad:

Yes. A healthy lifestyle enables people to eat most foods in moderation. :) You can find very simple, healthy breads if you search hard enough. I can't stand bread that is loaded with sugar. When I first tasted American bread, I just gave an almighty YUCK. In fact, it was a tuna sandwich in American bead, and the tuna was YUCK too because it had that stuff in it, I dunno, some vegetable 'soup' they put in with tuna here. Of course, if I pay 1.80 per can, I can get the low sodium tuna with no vegetable soup, so that's what I do. Sigh. I pay 50c to get an ingredient removed. How about that? Most off-the-shelf American breads - yuck. I have to specifically search for the bread that doesn't have that sweet taste, and has 3-4g of fiber per slice, and is natural, whole wheat, with as few chemicals as possible. It can be done. Try your health food store.
I grew up on that "American" white bread. Wonder was my favorite. At one point, I had a friend whose father worked for Wonder and gave me free bread. I can't eat it now. I know it's super-processed and it tastes gummy to me now. I much prefer something much more basic or a local bread if I can get it.

I've found that my old favorites like peanut butter and jelly and ham and cheese are so much better on *real* bread.

And yes, HFCS is evil.
:thumbsup:
I wasn't there, but over the holidays my BIL was actually making an argument that HFCS was just fine. So I sent him that link this morning.
;)

Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hear ya on the bread and corn syrup. Going to get allergy tested (foods too) as I think I'm having some problems. The main thing going on with me right now is migraines. Every day for about two months and meds that kill the pain but don't stop the migraine. Trying to find one now and after a mandatory trial of three meds that the insurance company requires you do before you are eligible for Botox, I am hopefully going to either have something work that has few side effects or have the Botox shots in various areas of my head that relieve migraines in some people. God bless.

Upvote 0

LoisGriffin

I am not a sheep! I follow only one!
Jul 1, 2008
United Kingdom
✟10,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I eat loads of carbs. Complex of course. I need the fuel for running up to 3 hours.

Weight wise I am about 10lbs lower than I thought was possible and health wise I am off all meds.

Healthy living is pretty important to me. I know what it feels like to be overweight and it was not fun. Was barely a life to be honest. Cant beat getting fresh air.

The only thing I think I need more of is protein. Going to be looking into some good protein shakes to help recovery.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
What do you guys think about a juice fast? I'm talking fruits/veg-made-in-a-juicer type diet?
I heard a 10-15 day juice fast can really help de-tox and kick start your metabolism.
Thoughts?

Peace,
-Niffer
Haven't heard of that one. Sounds better than just water tho.
:)

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can't do juice much - it gives me serious heartburn - just be careful of "fasts", especially Niffer if you are nursing. You need your calories!

I just finally got a kettlebell DVD. That is some hard work! I have had kettlebells for a while, but didn't know everything I could be doing with them. I know now ..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

illudium_phosdex

Insert witty title here.
Dec 5, 2005
Alaska
✟14,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yesterday I started running again!
:thumbsup:

I've just recently tried to start running again, too! I'm doing the Couch to 5k program but because I'm very out of shape, I'm slowing even that down a bit. Right now, I'm running about 30 second intervals with 90 second walking in between. It takes 42 minutes to do a full 5k right now which is a bad, bad time. I want to get it down to 30 minutes and I'll be happy.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I tried running too but I found after running about 10 miles in a day I don't lose weight. THen again I am doing the running in a video game. :p I love biking and being out but my body's health conditions make it so hard to even bike now. Its the one thing left I loved doing in terms of exercise.

Upvote 0