General Health and Wellness

E

Everlasting33

WHOLE grains..are not 'junk food"..

And Cons is right..all foods ARE "chemicals"..they all have a chemical compostion ..made up of different chemicals..

Dallas

I believe whole grains are a big reason why so many Americans are sick. That and junk food.

I would have to say that the word "chemical" can mean different things. It would seem silly to use that argument to justify eating processed foods.

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't want to minimize chemicals but eliminate them. It's one thing to make something homemade, its another to eat something with anti foaming agents on it.

I applaud you for that..(except I THINK you mean to say 'harmful chemicals)..I have found a balance that in the grand scehme of things..if having some "harmful chemicals" sparingly makes me happy or more fullfilled mentally thats good for me too ..in a different way..

Dallas

Upvote 0
E

Everlasting33

I applaud you for that..(except I THINK you mean to say 'harmful chemicals)..I have found a balance that in the grand scehme of things..if having some "harmful chemicals" sparingly makes me happy or more fullfilled mentally thats good for me too ..in a different way..

Dallas

See, if I want some comfort food, I make it. I dont need to eat something from McDonalds. And, my happiness is not lost. If I can do it, so can you. ;)

Upvote 0

illudium_phosdex

Insert witty title here.
Dec 5, 2005
Alaska
✟14,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why not make your own fries in butter? They taste much better? :)

Well, generally, the biggest reason I end up going to McDonald's in the first place is because I didn't feel like fixing dinner that night. I certainly don't want to be in there for hours slicing and dicing potatoes for home fries. (Which by the way, I do make of a semi regular basis).

I really don't care about eliminating each and every single thing that might possibly be bad for me. Like I said before, I'd rather be happy for fewer years than miserable for more years. Having a little Debbie every once in a while make me happy.

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe whole grains are a big reason why so many Americans are sick. That and junk food.

Well I dont..I dont believe whole grains are what have make so many Americans sick.I think living on a diet that consist of too MANY and not enough of is what has made many Americans sick..and of course certain foods that we should NEVER eat..that some eat as their STAPLE diet..or a consistant part of their diet..

White flour and white (added) sugar..and added oils etc..

Americans arent sick form eating a diet rich in fruits and whole grains..and beans and nuts and veggies..the average Amierican doesnt even EAT a diet like that..

Dallas

Upvote 0
E

Everlasting33

Well, generally, the biggest reason I end up going to McDonald's in the first place is because I didn't feel like fixing dinner that night. I certainly don't want to be in there for hours slicing and dicing potatoes for home fries. (Which by the way, I do make of a semi regular basis).

I really don't care about eliminating each and every single thing that might possibly be bad for me. Like I said before, I'd rather be happy for fewer years than miserable for more years. Having a little Debbie every once in a while make me happy.

Well, that's certainly your choice. And, there are no guarantees in life. A lot of what determines ailments in old age, is what our grandparents/great grandparents ate. But, a lot of people suffer from disease, arthritis, dementia, mood disorders and few people look at nutrition. Why? Because the way we view food has changed. The way the world works has changed.

If we view food differently, a way to nourish and heal us, we may choose foods that support our bodies. Taking the time to make meals will reap a benefit of rewards if we give it time.

Upvote 0
E

Everlasting33

Well I dont..I dont believe whole grains are what have make so many Americans sick.I think living on a diet that consist of too MANY and not enough of is what has made many Americans sick..and of course certain foods that we should NEVER eat..that some eat as their STAPLE diet..or a consistant part of their diet..

White flour and white (added) sugar..and added oils etc..

Americans arent sick form eating a diet rich in fruits and whole grains..and beans and nuts and veggies..the average Amierican doesnt even EAT a diet like that..

Dallas

A lot of my friends and family who get sick eat a lot of whole grains, fruits and beans. If you research it, you will find whole grains is linked to many diseases and ailments. A grain causes inflammation and stress in your gut. Some people are more sensitive to it.

The best example are my in laws. My father in law eats whole grain cereal, low fat milk, and lots of low fat foods. And he battles colds and is overweight. My husband is congested a lot and refuses to give up his whole grain bread.

A lot of people do eat junk food. And, that certainly contributes. But, wheat is everywhere. So are vegetable oils.

I do what works for me. You do what works for you. Just like with religion, we all think we have the right way of doing things. Just the nature of human beings, huh?

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
See, if I want some comfort food, I make it. I dont need to eat something from McDonalds. And, my happiness is not lost. If I can do it, so can you. ;)

:)

I dont "need" to eat anything from Mcdonalds either..in fact I havent eaten anything frm Mcdonalds in probably 2 years or so..Oh no wait..on the trip back from Austin in March of 2011(so what 9 months ago?) we pulled over and I ate a fish sandwich from there..Before that I cant remember..long time though..

When I want french fries..I bake frozen steak fries(Kroger brand) in the oven...I prefer it that way..OH and I use vinegar(malt)..and ketchup and salt and pepper..:thumbsup:

But if I WANTED to..I would have no problem eating a small fry from McdDonalds every six weeks or so..and it wouldnt be my downfall..thats all Im saying..

Dallas

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The best example are my in laws. My father in law eats whole grain cereal, low fat milk, and lots of low fat foods.

well Im fine then..I dont eat dairy(by that I mean not significant)..and I eat plenty of fat..in nuts..and fish..and I use olvie oil..I eat a lots of avocodo..oh and I eat (or am tryign to) an egg or so a week..Thats PLENTY of good fat..I am not sick whatsoever..I have ZERO digestive problems..I go you know what once or twice a day(and its normal)..my skin and hair is healthy...I have ZERO water retention ..or any problmes at all with any inflamtion but for when the weather is very cold I have some slight arthritis developing in one of my hands..(my grandmother and my unlces on that side...bad arthritis thats where Im gettign that..i think my DIET rich in fish iols/nuts and avocodo and olive is helpful for that)

And i eat whole grain everyday..I eat brown rice..whole rye..whole sprouted wheat or whole wheat..I eat corn too..

Fruit?No one will ever tell me..to "cut back on fruit' and not get a a shake from my head..thats ridiculous..

Dallas

Upvote 0

illudium_phosdex

Insert witty title here.
Dec 5, 2005
Alaska
✟14,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm with you, Dallas. There's also some scientific evidence that those who indulge every once in a while live longer lives than those who never indulge ever. It has to do with the happiness factor. So I just go back to everything in moderation.

Heck, you can even overdo the veggies. About 4 years ago I was having some issues with my thyroid. It had swollen up. When testing showed that its function was fine, my doctor asked me about my diet. I was having cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower...) pretty much every day and they were the problem. I've now started having them every other day and started eating seaweed once a week. No more thyroid problem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm with you, Dallas. There's also some scientific evidence that those who indulge every once in a while live longer lives than those who never indulge ever. It has to do with the happiness factor. So I just go back to everything in moderation.

Heck, you can even overdo the veggies. About 4 years ago I was having some issues with my thyroid. It had swollen up. When testing showed that its function was fine, my doctor asked me about my diet. I was having cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower...) pretty much every day and they were the problem. I've now started having them every other day and started eating seaweed once a week. No more thyroid problem.

:thumbsup:

Seaweed is also one of the only (or the only besides soy) with b-12 in it..other than animal sources..I eat kelp/seaweed about once a week with brown rice sushi..:)(my local Kroger thank YOU!)..So its great for vegetarians...or those who eat little meat..in fact I think seafood in general though is good for your thyroid..

It coud be rather than you were eating TOO much cruciferous and that "caused' a thyroid problm..coud be more like since you were fillign up on that..you werent getting ENOUGH of the foods with iodine in it or foods that are good for yoru thyroid..IOW the vegetable wernt the problem ..it was the lack of balance..nt getting enough of other foods..

Its really a no brainer....you can take a food..that NO one(or very few anyway..these days someone can dispute anything..never thought I would live to see the day when someone tries to claim FRUIT is bad for you :doh:)disagrees is GREAT for you ..Now..take that one food and eat 1800 calories of it a day...(like letterally thats all you ever eat)..YOU WILL BE SICKLY ..eventually you will be deficient in SOMETHING and start to get sick..or it will have TOO much of something(or both) that causes a disease from excess..

Dallas

Upvote 0
E

Everlasting33

well Im fine then..I dont eat dairy(by that I mean not significant)..and I eat plenty of fat..in nuts..and fish..and I use olvie oil..I eat a lots of avocodo..oh and I eat (or am tryign to) an egg or so a week..Thats PLENTY of good fat..I am not sick whatsoever..I have ZERO digestive problems..I go you know what once or twice a day(and its normal)..my skin and hair is healthy...I have ZERO water retention ..or any problmes at all with any inflamtion but for when the weather is very cold I have some slight arthritis developing in one of my hands..(my grandmother and my unlces on that side...bad arthritis thats where Im gettign that..i think my DIET rich in fish iols/nuts and avocodo and olive is helpful for that)

And i eat whole grain everyday..I eat brown rice..whole rye..whole sprouted wheat or whole wheat..I eat corn too..

Fruit?No one will ever tell me..to "cut back on fruit' and not get a a shake from my head..thats ridiculous..

Dallas

Well, you certainly are including fish and olive oil which is great. While you may very well feel fine, you might even feel better without grains! ;) I have a hard time believing Dallas is the only one around not affected by grains. Gas and bloating is nearly inevitable with grains. And both are indicative of gut stress.

"The important thing to remember here is that just because humans seem to have no immediate negative effects from grains, doesn’t mean our bodies can handle them or that we can function optimally while consuming them." How Grains Are Killing You Slowly — Wellness Mama

Giving up grains can only help health. I just see more problems associated with it.

"It all boils down to this: Grains are not healthy and are toxic to the body. That is the way they were designed. The non-digestible proteins that wreak havoc in our system allow grains to pass un-harmed through the intestines of animals and emerge victorious and in a pile of fertilizer at the other end. Good for the grains-bad for us! Studies have shown, and I have seen in my own work with clients, that a no-grain diet can lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, reduce inflammation, promote weight loss, alleviate dermatitis or acne, end digestive disturbances like heart disease, increase fertility and dramatically improve energy levels."

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gas and bloating is nearly inevitable with grains. And both are indicative of gut stress.

I dont have "gut stress" is all Im telling you ..and I eat grains everyday..So I'll stand up and say Im one in 7 billion I suppose that eats grains everyday and I have no issues ...

Havign said that..having some gas???its absoultely normal..I would never severely restrict my diet..or eliminate helathy foods such as fruit or whole grain to try and never have any gas in my body..thats ridiculous..we are supposed to have some gas and its normal ...If someone has an ABNORMAL amount of gas and bloating etc..then yes..many foods in EXCESS and HABITS could be the cause..but just having any gas..burping or passng gas out the other end is normal..

In fact AIR in your digestive tract causes gas..what should we do stop breathing to avoid it?

Dallas

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Onions can cause gas...cabbage can cause it..MANY helathy foods can result in having SOME gas..So can chewign gum..and carbonated drinks..eating to fast ..lots of things..I wouldnt eliminate a powerhouse of nutrition such as many vegetables and most fruits to try and keep my body from producign gas...not beans or whole grains either..its silly..Im not "embarrassed" that along with ALL other animal species..eating the foods that keep me HEALTHY and how my body processes them leave sometimes the after affect(by product) of "gas" and maybe a burp here and there..what are we going to do next?call having a bowel movement or needign to urinate(which is the BY PRODUCT of foods and liquids) a "condition" that we need to try and eliminate and just stop eating and drinking all together?

Dallas

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
and I have seen in my own work with clients, that a no-grain diet can lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, reduce inflammation, promote weight loss, alleviate dermatitis or acne, end digestive disturbances like heart disease, increase fertility and dramatically improve energy levels."

I dont believe for one second..that cutting out WHOLE grains would be why you see those results..

Im eating MORE whole grains and have BETTER skin ..have lost weight(evne though I dint have a lot to lose in fact I lost mostly water I think)..(need my cholesterol checked it was HIGH when I wasnt eating many whole grains last year)...my blood pressure went from about 145/90 to about 120/60....

Thats with DRAMATICALLY increasing my daily whole grain intake...havign said that..I at the same time QUIT drinking..have since quit eating ANY meat except fish and occasional egg(abotu 10% of my diet is animal ) and a radical decrease in dairy(cheese/yogurt mainly..I was eating that everyday)..

I eat MORE grains than ever..and have some of the improvements you are listing from cuttign them OUT..I'de be wiling to bet money that my cholesteraol is normal now too..I have to go to the doctor but..it was high ..liek 251..and my HDL (the bad fat one) was over 150 which is very high..but the dramatic blood pressure drop from very high to WELL within normal..my SKIN is in better shape..(I have a skin disorder like eczema that has GREATLY improved)...

If EATING grains CAUSES those how them have mine IMPROVE with an INCREASE(a large one) in WHOLE grain intake?

I have one grandmother still living..she is 98...her diet was probably 75% vegetables and fruit..all her life..and she has always liked milk and yogurt and drumroll CORN BREAD and OATMEAL every day for about the past 40 years that I've been born......my other grandmother who lived to 95..alos a HUGE vegetabel/fruit eater...they ate very little meat..

My grandmother who is alive now..all be it DECREPIDLY OLD...has NO heart disease (never has)..never had ANY kind of cancer(she still by the way has her uterus and ovaries..NEVER had a hysterctomy never needed one)..has NEVER broken a bone..has NO arthritis..she did develop the bone 'shrinkage" startign in her 70's..so she is very very short..never had any problem with thyroid..

My grandmtoehr that died at 95..did the classic 'break the hip' got pheumonia and died form pnuemnia..but she NEVER had heart disease..to my knowledge never had cancer of any kind either..the 2 top causes of death in Americans..both of them were NEVER obese either..

Shoudl I tell my grandmother she better stop eatign fruit and corn bread or she might get ill?OH neither one of them had diabetes either..NEVER..

My grandmother told me one time she wanted to lose wieght(yep ..about 5 lbs) and she started a "sweet tea diet" ...of course she gained weight and felt weak..and stopped that..

anyway..Im not giving up whole grains to improve my health..my health has IMPROVED with adding them in..

Dallas

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Why not make your own fries in butter? They taste much better? :)
My wife makes sweet potato fries with butter. So awesome...

thats my motto..as LONG as we mimimize how many differnt things we "only have a few times a year"..LOL!!..If we have dozens or 100's of things that are absoutley poison for our body's then that makes up a high % of your diet even ...

On occassion I'll pop a few fries ..have the occassional slice of pizza..a slice of apple cobbler..scoop of Ben and Jerrys or Baskin Robins Just not ALL in the same week..and every single week..One cheat a day is too many..maybe once a week I might have one of the above..So it might make up a tiny % of my overall caloric intake over that week..a few hundred claories out of 10,000 caloires of poison is fine with me..LOL!!Kind of like peeing in the ocean is the way to look at it..

Dallas
^_^

Well, you certainly are including fish and olive oil which is great. While you may very well feel fine, you might even feel better without grains! ;) I have a hard time believing Dallas is the only one around not affected by grains. Gas and bloating is nearly inevitable with grains. And both are indicative of gut stress.

"The important thing to remember here is that just because humans seem to have no immediate negative effects from grains, doesn’t mean our bodies can handle them or that we can function optimally while consuming them." How Grains Are Killing You Slowly — Wellness Mama

Giving up grains can only help health. I just see more problems associated with it.

"It all boils down to this: Grains are not healthy and are toxic to the body. That is the way they were designed. The non-digestible proteins that wreak havoc in our system allow grains to pass un-harmed through the intestines of animals and emerge victorious and in a pile of fertilizer at the other end. Good for the grains-bad for us! Studies have shown, and I have seen in my own work with clients, that a no-grain diet can lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, reduce inflammation, promote weight loss, alleviate dermatitis or acne, end digestive disturbances like heart disease, increase fertility and dramatically improve energy levels."
I may try reducing my grain. I do eat a heck of a lot of cereal and I do have quite a bit of gas. As fun as it is to be able to break wind on command and for effect...it gets old!
:cool:

I already switched from cow's milk to almond milk for that cereal and that alone had a positive effect. Much less stomach turmoil. I'm curious to see what the difference would be cutting out the cereal. Any ideas for a good substitute? Right now I eat Cinnamon Toast Crunch (I was eating either some sort of Cheerios or a Whole Foods cereal...my mom had Cinnamon Toast crunch when I visited and I got hooked again! lol) and a banana with an apple for breakfast. I also eat the scraps from my daughter's breakfast which included varying portions of oatmeal, boiled eggs and english muffin with peanut butter.

pulses make me gassy. You don't want to be any where near me after I've had spinach dahl.
^_^
I'm a spinach dahl person too. Love that stuff.

Upvote 0

illudium_phosdex

Insert witty title here.
Dec 5, 2005
Alaska
✟14,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
:thumbsup:

Seaweed is also one of the only (or the only besides soy) with b-12 in it..other than animal sources..I eat kelp/seaweed about once a week with brown rice sushi..:)(my local Kroger thank YOU!)..So its great for vegetarians...or those who eat little meat..in fact I think seafood in general though is good for your thyroid..

It coud be rather than you were eating TOO much cruciferous and that "caused' a thyroid problm..coud be more like since you were fillign up on that..you werent getting ENOUGH of the foods with iodine in it or foods that are good for yoru thyroid..IOW the vegetable wernt the problem ..it was the lack of balance..nt getting enough of other foods..

Its really a no brainer....you can take a food..that NO one(or very few anyway..these days someone can dispute anything..never thought I would live to see the day when someone tries to claim FRUIT is bad for you :doh:)disagrees is GREAT for you ..Now..take that one food and eat 1800 calories of it a day...(like letterally thats all you ever eat)..YOU WILL BE SICKLY ..eventually you will be deficient in SOMETHING and start to get sick..or it will have TOO much of something(or both) that causes a disease from excess..

Dallas

Yeah, that's about the size of it. I don't really like salt that much and as I've gotten older, dairy products tend to make my tummy hurt so I don't have a lot of that either. So I wasn't getting a whole lot of iodine in the first place and then couple that with all those cruciferous veggies and yeah, you definitely have a recipe for goiter. But I've got a better handle on that now. I take a multivitamin with iodine most days and then the seaweed once a week. Every thing in moderation. :) That's pretty much my mantra.

Upvote 0