General Health and Wellness

B

blythe_ann

Steeler, not disagreeing just trying to understand, why do you cap your cardio at under 30 minutes? That is the first I've heard of someone doing that... I've heard of going UNTIL 30 at least. Just wondering what your reasoning is and source of that info?

I ask because while I do weight training and yoga, I also do quite a bit of cardio as a runner. Now, I don't necessarily do it just for the heart benefits but I am often running for far longer than a half hour. I probably won't change this, as I love it and feel amazing, but I'd like to hear differing opinions on the matter.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've cut out all meat except fish about 2 or 3 times a week..and most dairy(dairy woud be about 5% of my diet now verses 15 or 20 %)..I do not eat (or lets say rarely and I avoid it BUT for occassion)..all white flour and white rice..and processed foods..no added sugar(again on sparing occassions like occassional cookie..or some dark chocolate I do "binge" I admit..but its short lived)...

My goal is to eat WHOLE ..and as many fresh fruits and veggies as I can..LOTS of apples banans blueberies strawberries pineapple canteloup honeydew you name it..I make a meal out of hummus and whole rye bread to dip it..beans galore..brown rice..sardines and salmon...spinach and all kinds of greens...

Im 44 years old and weigh 103 lbs currently..(at 5"2)..(yes I just gave my measruements? LOL)..the biggie is I QUIT drinkig FAR TOO much alcohol which was KILLING me ...and I have always ironically been into "healthy eating' but drinking along with the obvious horrible health consequences(physically mentally spirtually) I would not eat..then CRAVE horrible foods like boxed mac and cheese..fried chicken ..LOTS of cheese and bread etc...

What I NEED to do is excersize more..cut back on caffeine which I have an on again off again love affair with..

Mentally?I have learned and succeed more and more such things as LIMIT t.v and listen to MORE music..anything I like..GET INTO IT...I dance..I dance sitting in the car..I dance in my kitchen..I dance whenever the mood hits me and I SING out loud..I IGNORE people who obviously hate me..or dont like me and thier blatant insults I take the view they are fools thinking they can hurt me as Im SECURE that Im at my core 'good"..NO ONE can take that from me..I CHERISH my friends and soak up their encouragement..THEY I trust to honestly tell me if Im being a 'female dog"LOL>.others?do NOT matter ..seriously they dont..I READ..I keep my mind BUSY learning anything i can..I do MATH now just as a mental excersize(need to do MORE..simple stuff like multiplication in my head..heard it helps prevent alszheimers tee hee)...

I give THANKS many times a day to God..I talk to God I think of God probably 150 times a day...almost always Hes somewhere around me I feel it..I accept I dont understand everything and I never will and thats O.K..Whats life with no mystery?

I LAUGH a lot..many things if you loook at it..are FUNNY..lots of things that seem irritating are actually funny..at least for me they are..even in an absurd sort of way..people are funny things..I enjoy them..

I allow my self to FEEL..everything..so I can LET in the joy...AMEN!

Dallas

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I've cut out all meat except fish about 2 or 3 times a week..and most dairy(dairy woud be about 5% of my diet now verses 15 or 20 %)..I do not eat (or lets say rarely and I avoid it BUT for occassion)..all white flour and white rice..and processed foods..no added sugar(again on sparing occassions like occassional cookie..or some dark chocolate I do "binge" I admit..but its short lived)...

My goal is to eat WHOLE ..and as many fresh fruits and veggies as I can..LOTS of apples banans blueberies strawberries pineapple canteloup honeydew you name it..I make a meal out of hummus and whole rye bread to dip it..beans galore..brown rice..sardines and salmon...spinach and all kinds of greens...

Im 44 years old and weigh 103 lbs currently..(at 5"2)..(yes I just gave my measruements? LOL)..the biggie is I QUIT drinkig FAR TOO much alcohol which was KILLING me ...and I have always ironically been into "healthy eating' but drinking along with the obvious horrible health consequences(physically mentally spirtually) I would not eat..then CRAVE horrible foods like boxed mac and cheese..fried chicken ..LOTS of cheese and bread etc...

What I NEED to do is excersize more..cut back on caffeine which I have an on again off again love affair with..

Mentally?I have learned and succeed more and more such things as LIMIT t.v and listen to MORE music..anything I like..GET INTO IT...I dance..I dance sitting in the car..I dance in my kitchen..I dance whenever the mood hits me and I SING out loud..I IGNORE people who obviously hate me..or dont like me and thier blatant insults I take the view they are fools thinking they can hurt me as Im SECURE that Im at my core 'good"..NO ONE can take that from me..I CHERISH my friends and soak up their encouragement..THEY I trust to honestly tell me if Im being a 'female dog"LOL>.others?do NOT matter ..seriously they dont..I READ..I keep my mind BUSY learning anything i can..I do MATH now just as a mental excersize(need to do MORE..simple stuff like multiplication in my head..heard it helps prevent alszheimers tee hee)...

I give THANKS many times a day to God..I talk to God I think of God probably 150 times a day...almost always Hes somewhere around me I feel it..I accept I dont understand everything and I never will and thats O.K..Whats life with no mystery?

I LAUGH a lot..many things if you loook at it..are FUNNY..lots of things that seem irritating are actually funny..at least for me they are..even in an absurd sort of way..people are funny things..I enjoy them..

I allow my self to FEEL..everything..so I can LET in the joy...AMEN!

Dallas
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes..they are the BEST..(according to my mother anyway LOL)..but I will say..ANYONE who advocates as the norm or in general to eat LESS fruit I raise an eyebrow to...A variety of FRUIT as part of your diet is extremely good for your body from most every source imaginabele to try and glean from..includign the American Diabetic Association ..and so are BEANS..in fact beans are ESPECIALLY good for someone with diabetes from every(lets say overwhelmingly) source I can find..they help your body regulate insulin for MANY hours after you eat them...

This is just ONE source..of information on ONE bean..(black beans)..anyone saying not to eat beans I would liek to see the evidence..SUPPORTING they are harmful to your helath..and im not talking about someone with some obscure and rare allergy..or a medical condition that makes beans bad for them..my mother had to take what amounts to RAT POISON to thin her blood for a heart condition ..MANY foods that are othersise AWESOME for your body..due to the rat poison the drs gave her to prevent her from having a heart attack were RESTRICTED..INCLUDING green leafy veggies..

WHFoods: Black beans

BEANS are good for MOST people..As PART of thier diet..Thats my opinion based on all the info I have read off the internet...I eat beans everyday almost ..my blood sugar is completley normal(I have the test kit my husband has diabetes)..my blood pressure is normal..my bowels..are REGUALAR and normal..

Fruit?As far as your skin?Give me a break..my skin is BETTER than it has been in YEARS since I made lots of changes in my diet(including cutting our meat except for fish and MOST dairy) and I have INCREASED my fruit intake..I eat about 3-5 servigns of fruit everyday..my skin is better than ever..(I used to get breakouts..every month since i have been a teenager it never completely went away)...

Fruit many fruits are a powerhouse of antioxidents..MANY vitamings and loads of good fiber..eaten in variety and MODERATION with OTHER foods..is GOOD for you not bad for you ..

Now fruit juice?Not good for you in general..all the fiber and with it (the pulp and skin) you have remeoved much of the vitaims..and mostly the water and sugar remain and that loads into yoru system vey quickly causing a spike in blood sugar that will stress yoru body out..thats my understanding..

Dallas

Upvote 0
E

Everlasting33

Steeler, not disagreeing just trying to understand, why do you cap your cardio at under 30 minutes? That is the first I've heard of someone doing that... I've heard of going UNTIL 30 at least. Just wondering what your reasoning is and source of that info?

I ask because while I do weight training and yoga, I also do quite a bit of cardio as a runner. Now, I don't necessarily do it just for the heart benefits but I am often running for far longer than a half hour. I probably won't change this, as I love it and feel amazing, but I'd like to hear differing opinions on the matter.
Thanks!

I need to clarify something because I didn't thoroughly communicate my thoughts in the best way. I dont believe in long distance running or high intensity for long periods of time. Walking for hours is fine. But, because I go along with the "caveman" diet, I do short bursts of sprints with more walking. Strength training is crucial, too. I like this website and my views align with a lot on here:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/did-humans-evolve-to-be-long-distance-runners/#axzz1jO41E6p9

Upvote 0

illudium_phosdex

Insert witty title here.
Dec 5, 2005
Alaska
✟14,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Look up the ingredients list for fries on McDonald's website. A lot of chemicals. Think about what that is doing to your body?

I don't care. I have them less than once a month. So I fully intend to enjoy them the few times a year I do have them.

Reactions: JaneFW
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't care. I have them less than once a month. So I fully intend to enjoy them the few times a year I do have them.

thats my motto..as LONG as we mimimize how many differnt things we "only have a few times a year"..LOL!!..If we have dozens or 100's of things that are absoutley poison for our body's then that makes up a high % of your diet even ...

On occassion I'll pop a few fries ..have the occassional slice of pizza..a slice of apple cobbler..scoop of Ben and Jerrys or Baskin Robins Just not ALL in the same week..and every single week..One cheat a day is too many..maybe once a week I might have one of the above..So it might make up a tiny % of my overall caloric intake over that week..a few hundred claories out of 10,000 caloires of poison is fine with me..LOL!!Kind of like peeing in the ocean is the way to look at it..

Dallas

Upvote 0
E

Everlasting33

Interesting read. My opinion varies from that, but interesting regardless, thanks for sharing :).

Well the primal diet is not very popular, especially in the 21st Century. Health officials advocate whole grains, low fat, lots of cardio, little meat, and junk food is as common as dirt.

I am on board with it now so later when I am older, I hope not to suffer from all these ailments associated with whole grains and low fat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
E

Everlasting33

thats my motto..as LONG as we mimimize how many differnt things we "only have a few times a year"..LOL!!..If we have dozens or 100's of things that are absoutley poison for our body's then that makes up a high % of your diet even ...

Dallas

I don't want to minimize chemicals but eliminate them. It's one thing to make something homemade, its another to eat something with anti foaming agents on it.

Upvote 0