Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Woman Falls Into Fountain While Texting; 'Fountain Lady&#039...

Cathy Cruz Marrero, 49, was texting, and fell into a fountain at the Berkshire mall in Pennsylvania. Somehow, the video of her fall was uploaded to the Internet, and suddenly, she became a web sensation, with millions watching the 'fountain lady' video.

I heard today that she is suing.

She is upset that no one checked on her. In the video she walks away quickly.
She claims to be embarassed, but goes on the t.v blitz?

I also heard today that she has several charges against her. Theft and fraud, if I remember correctly.

Lets see,
she does something stupid in public, claims that she was not offered assistance, and that she is publicly humiliated.

She can't sue because she did something stupid.
The video shows her walk away, thus aid was not needed.
Publicly humiliated? She made it even more public.

I think she is hoping this is her McDonald's coffee.

Sorry, you do something in public, the video of it is public.
If the mall or security makes money of the video, then she might have a case.
If your embarrassed, don't step into the public eye to cry about it.
She was just a picture on a video until she stepped forward.

Everyone looking to make a buck.

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hilarious! I would've died of laughter if I'd seen this. If she's so humiliated, why go on Good Morning America exposing your identity? I also think it's slly a security guard was fired. He was only human, and can therefore be expected to laugh, after all- and his job is to stop theft, not help people too involved in texting out of fountains...

Upvote 0
D

DesertSky

You watch, some lawyer will argue that there should be a warning in big red letters all around the fountain just in case someone is looking down while walking.

This is sort of like the people struck by lightening in a storm on a hill that wanted more warning signs about the dangers of a lightening strike, or the idiots who got attacked by a bear in Yellowstone that wanted more warning signs.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You watch, some lawyer will argue that there should be a warning in big red letters all around the fountain just in case someone is looking down while walking.

This is sort of like the people struck by lightening in a storm on a hill that wanted more warning signs about the dangers of a lightening strike, or the idiots who got attacked by a bear in Yellowstone that wanted more warning signs.
There are bear warning signs in Yellowstone aren't there?
I don't think the bears can read them though.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

Woman Falls Into Fountain While Texting; 'Fountain Lady'...

I heard today that she is suing.

She is upset that no one checked on her. In the video she walks away quickly.
She claims to be embarassed, but goes on the t.v blitz?

I also heard today that she has several charges against her. Theft and fraud, if I remember correctly.

Lets see,
she does something stupid in public, claims that she was not offered assistance, and that she is publicly humiliated.

She can't sue because she did something stupid.
The video shows her walk away, thus aid was not needed.
Publicly humiliated? She made it even more public.

I think she is hoping this is her McDonald's coffee.

Sorry, you do something in public, the video of it is public.
If the mall or security makes money of the video, then she might have a case.
If your embarrassed, don't step into the public eye to cry about it.
She was just a picture on a video until she stepped forward.

Everyone looking to make a buck.

The difference between this and the McDonald's Coffee Case is that in the McDonald's case, McDonald's arguably did something negligent that arguably caused some demonstrable injury. In this case, there is neither.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the whole thing was fraud.

The employee who posted it to youtube got fired, too bad, but you're not supposed to post security feed on-line. She was not identifiable on that clip, so who would've known it was she if she hadn't come forward? Perhaps she is in league with the employee.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think the whole thing was fraud.

The employee who posted it to youtube got fired, too bad, but you're not supposed to post security feed on-line. She was not identifiable on that clip, so who would've known it was she if she hadn't come forward? Perhaps she is in league with the employee.
possibly.

I never noticed sound on security video, sound in the viewing room that is.
So why add a laugh track to silent pictures?
hmmm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
possibly.

I never noticed sound on security video, sound in the viewing room that is.
So why add a laugh track to silent pictures?
hmmm.

They didn't post the video feed itself, they posted a video of people watching the recorded feed; the laugh track is the viewers laughing. Which means they were watching it well after the fact.

I'm not sure how the video surveillance works, but I think it's likely that there's not someone watching every second of video closely all the time. Her fall might not have even been seen as it was happening, but only later. Also, since she got up and walked away under her own power, what was the security guard (or whoever might have been watching at the time) supposed to do? Run from the security office and try to find her wherever she might be in the mall? Chances are she would be out of the mall by the time he got there, since I don't expect she'd just carry on shopping if she was soaking wet.

Upvote 0

Brak

Jan 12, 2011
✟16,544.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I hate the fact that she was recorded on camera at all. Now big brother releases a humiliating video on the internet? The reason we are told we are on camera, every minute of the day, is "in case a crime happens". Well...no crime happened. So this video should have never seen the light of day.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
I hate the fact that she was recorded on camera at all. Now big brother releases a humiliating video on the internet? The reason we are told we are on camera, every minute of the day, is "in case a crime happens". Well...no crime happened. So this video should have never seen the light of day.

Correct. Which is why the person who released it was terminated.

But that has to do with distribution of security footage, not the taking of security footage in the first place.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Not big brother, rent a cop --- and really... was it that humiliating? I would be laughing hysterically at myself if I did that, and until she decided to be interviewed I'd say she handled it quite well, she fell in, bounced out, and walked away.. heck if I fell in a fountain I'd be floundering around in there for 20 before I got myself organized enough to get out. Then I'd probably see something shiny in the fountain and get distracted ...oooh shiny....^_^

Don't come knocking on my door (or walking through my little bit of a yard) if you think everyone with a security camera is big brother, cause you'll be on my security feed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums