Vancouver
✟16,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My mother is 81. I haven't spoken to her in 13 years--nor has she spoken to me or been there for me when I had surgery, when I learned my husband was cheating on me and spending us into extreme debt, when I got divorced and was left as a single parent to 6 kids still at home, when both my daughters were in surgery on the same day. Etc. She'll see me at the grocery store and turn her nose up and walk past me. Yet the family story is that I am not talking to her, that this is all one-sided. Early on, I invited her to a couple of parties for kids' events & she arrived and 'ate my meat and drank my wine' and ignored me the whole time. As a result, I quit inviting her.

I have just learned she has tongue cancer. My first thought was, if I were a writer I couldn't come up with more perfect karma. My mother TALKS. Talking is what she does. She trash talks other people. She has spent my 50+ years trash-talking my grandmother, my father's entire side of the family, the way her mother was unfair to her 65 years ago. She has trash-talked me to many other people since I was 4 or 5 (I believe because she was covering up inappropriate behavior on my father's part, making sure no on believed me) and there are people who will always think badly of me as a result, not based on who I am but on who they think I am as a result of her lies about me. She has trash-talked me literally to my high-school friends when I was in high school and walked out of the room, to my new mother-in-law the first time she met her (and I saw the permanent change that day in how my MIL treated me), to my siblings, to her friends, to people in my/our church.

She has spent hours and hours talking at me about how angry she is with the world, how much she dislikes other people. And never in those hours of her talking at me has she ever shown the slightest interest in who I am or what I think...yet she goes on to tell other people what I really think, or why I really did something, despite what I actually told her.

I give this much detail to say: she has spent her life demonstrating the Biblical principles about the power of the tongue and the evil use of the tongue, using the tongue to hurt others, to turn people against each other, to tear people down, to drive wedges between people, to break down relationships, to damage other people.

My first thought on finding she cancer of the tongue, was: KARMA. If I were an author this is how I would have written the story of someone who has continually gossipped and turned people against each other with lies and gossip.

But I also need to ask myself: What is the CHRISTIAN response to learning (from a third party because your parents won't tell you themselves) that your mother has cancer? My personal response is: Thank God maybe her gossiping and turning people against each other is finally coming to an end.

What should be the Christian response? I don't necessarily think it's evil or wrong or unloving to see the strong correlation between how she has used her TONGUE for 7 decades to divide people and having tongue cancer. But I also seek the Christian response on my own part.

By_the_Book

Life lived by the Bible is life worth living.
Jul 25, 2022
St. Augustine
Visit site
✟30,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Are you kidding with this....

"But I also need to ask myself: What is the CHRISTIAN response to learning (from a third party because your parents won't tell you themselves) that your mother has cancer? My personal response is: Thank God maybe her gossiping and turning people against each other is finally coming to an end."

This is your mother you're talking about, the person who gave you life.

Find some mercy for your day will come.

Reactions: Wyatt A.
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But I also seek the Christian response on my own part.
She is your mother so may I suggest that you reach out to her, offer her your support etc.
Yes she hasn't done any of that for you but you can show her Christian love.
Oh when she starts trash talking other people, tell her you are not interested. remind her of that old adage, ' If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.'
Set ground rules, you will visit, support her, help her etc, but that is conditional on two things.
No trash talk.
and you do a basic Christian bible study and prayer time.

Do pray for her, for healing, for a change in attitude, for her conversion.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My mother is 81. I haven't spoken to her in 13 years--nor has she spoken to me or been there for me when I had surgery, when I learned my husband was cheating on me and spending us into extreme debt, when I got divorced and was left as a single parent to 6 kids still at home, when both my daughters were in surgery on the same day. Etc. She'll see me at the grocery store and turn her nose up and walk past me. Yet the family story is that I am not talking to her, that this is all one-sided. Early on, I invited her to a couple of parties for kids' events & she arrived and 'ate my meat and drank my wine' and ignored me the whole time. As a result, I quit inviting her.

I have just learned she has tongue cancer. My first thought was, if I were a writer I couldn't come up with more perfect karma. My mother TALKS. Talking is what she does. She trash talks other people. She has spent my 50+ years trash-talking my grandmother, my father's entire side of the family, the way her mother was unfair to her 65 years ago. She has trash-talked me to many other people since I was 4 or 5 (I believe because she was covering up inappropriate behavior on my father's part, making sure no on believed me) and there are people who will always think badly of me as a result, not based on who I am but on who they think I am as a result of her lies about me. She has trash-talked me literally to my high-school friends when I was in high school and walked out of the room, to my new mother-in-law the first time she met her (and I saw the permanent change that day in how my MIL treated me), to my siblings, to her friends, to people in my/our church.

She has spent hours and hours talking at me about how angry she is with the world, how much she dislikes other people. And never in those hours of her talking at me has she ever shown the slightest interest in who I am or what I think...yet she goes on to tell other people what I really think, or why I really did something, despite what I actually told her.

I give this much detail to say: she has spent her life demonstrating the Biblical principles about the power of the tongue and the evil use of the tongue, using the tongue to hurt others, to turn people against each other, to tear people down, to drive wedges between people, to break down relationships, to damage other people.

My first thought on finding she cancer of the tongue, was: KARMA. If I were an author this is how I would have written the story of someone who has continually gossipped and turned people against each other with lies and gossip.

But I also need to ask myself: What is the CHRISTIAN response to learning (from a third party because your parents won't tell you themselves) that your mother has cancer? My personal response is: Thank God maybe her gossiping and turning people against each other is finally coming to an end.

What should be the Christian response? I don't necessarily think it's evil or wrong or unloving to see the strong correlation between how she has used her TONGUE for 7 decades to divide people and having tongue cancer. But I also seek the Christian response on my own part.
My concern would be for you, you are tearing yourself up with the anger you feel, Please go talk to your pastor get set free from this or it will certainly destroy you a little at a time.

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Having been abused as a child I can understand and sympathize with distancing yourself from someone who desires to hurt you. I found that letter writing was a way to reach out to parents who I had hoped had mellowed a little with age before they died.

If your mother were a stranger you might feel compassion for someone so wound up with hatred. She may only be echoing the hurt she received in her life from her parents or others. Consider the verse that says out of the fullness of the heart, the mouth speaks. If she has so much hurt in her heart that she twists truth in order to hurt others, she may never come to salvation.

Letter writing might be a way to explore the opportunity to open a channel. You never know if she might soften her heart as she nears the end.

Upvote 0

Renewed24

Oct 17, 2022
Vancouver
✟16,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My concern would be for you, you are tearing yourself up with the anger you feel, Please go talk to your pastor get set free from this or it will certainly destroy you a little at a time.
No, I'm not tearing myself up with anger. I'm stating details so the reader understands the story. Very different from being angry. I've long ago accepted that this is who she is and to make a life away from those she influences.

Reactions: LesSme
Upvote 0

Renewed24

Oct 17, 2022
Vancouver
✟16,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Do pray for her, for healing, for a change in attitude, for her conversion.
I have been praying for her for a time. I will continue and increase that. She has ignored me plenty of times in the past when I've made small efforts so I don't think she wants anything to do with me now.

Upvote 0

Renewed24

Oct 17, 2022
Vancouver
✟16,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Are you kidding with this....

"But I also need to ask myself: What is the CHRISTIAN response to learning (from a third party because your parents won't tell you themselves) that your mother has cancer? My personal response is: Thank God maybe her gossiping and turning people against each other is finally coming to an end."

This is your mother you're talking about, the person who gave you life.

Find some mercy for your day will come.
How is it unmerciful to be relieved that someone's cruel and evil deeds that have harmed so many will finally end? Now if I said I hope she pays for all she's done, you'd be right, but I didn't and it's not what I hope for. I have never wished ill on her.

Reactions: LesSme
Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm.... given your mother has continually rebuffed your efforts to be there for her, pray for her, try to reach out 1 more time to let her know you're there for her if she needs anything, keep your ear to the ground about how she's progressing if she refuses to speak with you, and just forgive her and bless her ( maybe you already have but just keep doing so for your own healing). I've dealt with similar evils within my family, so I know it's hard, and I understand. You can only help someone as much as they allow you and given that she's been rebuffing you for so long, mainly continue to pray for her and wait for an opportunity to show love. And may God heal you, restore you, and recompense you for what you have suffered in this life. That was hard to live through, I know. God bless you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟840,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When it comes to raw feelings, there is no way you “should” feel. There is only what you feel, or do not feel. Whatever you feel or don’t feel is allowed. Nobody should be guilted or shamed merely on the basis of their emotions.

Actions and attitudes are a different matter. They don’t have to follow from, or be determined by, your feelings. Rather than putting too much thought into how you should feel, I recommend considering how you should respond. And that would be, as Christlike as possible.

Which could include doing as Christ did with the rich young ruler who didn’t want to give up his possessions and follow the Lord. Jesus just watched him walk away. Didn’t go chasing after him, or try to convince him, or anything like that.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To add to what LovebirdsFlying wrote:

2 Tim 1-5, was written for people who think of themselves as Christian. I'm with Paul on this, (and everything else too),

1 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!

As others have mentioned, extend mercy and all the beatitudes, but, from a distance where possible and pray. Then pray some more.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟756,718.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately you'll have to try to forgive her. It won't be easy and it will take time. You may find you're still trying to forgive her even if she dies from this cancer.

There are a couple of things though. The forgiveness may actually be for your sake, not hers.

I've said this ad infinitum, but the night my father died way back in January 1979, he appeared in my room. We talked and argued and at the end he gave this terrifying scream and disappeared.

Now in his own words on the night he died he admitted "I've been an absolute mongrel to you!" (ie. me).

But at one point he also said "Son, you've got to forgive me!"

I snarled back "You treated me like dirt for 20 years and now you want forgiveness!"

He replied "Son, it's not for me. It's too late for me. It's for you. All I was expected to do was to look after my own family and I didn't even do that!"

When he could see that I was sceptical, he went on "Son, you've got to believe me. If you don't (forgive me) you'll destroy yourself!".

As far as I'm concerned he went to hell. If you'd seen and heard the terrifying scream just before he disappeared into eternity, I think you'd agree.

Whether I forgive him or not isn't going to make any difference to him. His fate is cast. But it will and can affect my own attitude.

And I think a similar situation applies in your case.

Keep trying to forgive her. You may be correct in that the cancer of the tongue is part of God's judgment on her, but on the other hand she was going to die from something anyway as will all of us. For all we know you and I could both die of cancer of the tongue as far as that goes.

I'd be less inclined to judge her as "She had it coming" and just concentrate on doing what God wants YOU to do, namely forgive her.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟790,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Whether you like it or not, or mean to do it or not, you are judging her—it's pretty much unavoidable; and I don't say it to criticize you, but to remind you that your standard will be used to measure you. (Just as what I say here will be used to measure me.)

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟351,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I am sorry for your pain, God bless. I am praying for you.

• Friendly
Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YeshuaFollower

Veritas vos liberabit
Dec 6, 2022
eastern townships, Quebec
✟17,234.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Without Love we are nothing, give your mother the best support you can, always.

Deu 5:16 Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

JFF

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not engaging and going low contact is a valid response to a narcissistic and abusive parent. It is okay to feel relieved that your abuser will no longer be able to harm you and others soon. Don't feel guilty about acknowledging your feelings there. Your response is normal.

If you want to, you can arrange for your mother to be taken care of appropriately in the end, and still maintain your distance from her. You absolutely do not owe her your presence.

As a Christian you should pray for her salvation and seek to forgive her. Forgiving doesn't mean making yourself her victim again. Please understand that her abuse of you is NOT your fault and never has been.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AJHnh

Jul 4, 2021
New Hampshire
✟10,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

You reach out to your mother. First because all that you are thinking she probably is thinking that herself. The wasted years, the separation etc. Secondly and perhaps a bit selfishly is if you don't you will regret it.That is almost a guarantee. If you reach out and she says no, well you can rest knowing you tried. As far as the Christian thing to do, well you already know that answer.

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Wyatt A.

Apr 23, 2022
Baywood-Los Osos
✟31,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
If you could let your church know and somehow get some people to call her or at least send her texts and write her. No matter how hard or tough people seem, everyone wants to know that someone cares about them. This may be the point in her life when she finally encounters a merciful God. Unmerciful people need mercy the most. If you want to really get back at her, start a post for prayer for her.

Last edited:
Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0