Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Has anyone here collected fossils or have purchased them? I believe you can post multiple pictures in threads and if so we could maybe post some of our own pictures. I don't have any "expensive" fossils. I do have a nice trilobite, several different dinosaur teeth (the smaller teeth), a beautiful fish fossil and some nice insects in amber. Most are from trusted dealers but I have a good collection of aqua fossils which I collected myself in southern Minnesota.

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I have a small fish fossil that someone gave me.

I was on vacation and found a huge trilobite fossil in a store. I didn't buy it, but I took a picture because it was so big. Maybe they're all that size, but I didn't think so.

Attachments

• 100_4707.JPG
    100_4707.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I was on vacation and found a huge trilobite fossil in a store. I didn't buy it, but I took a picture because it was so big. Maybe they're all that size, but I didn't think so.

That is a pretty good sized trilobite. I'll try to take some pictures and attach them as thumbnails later.

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
  • T Rex Tooth from Africa
  • Triceratops tooth from Montana
  • Spinosaur tooth from Morocco
  • Raptor tooth from Morocco
  • Spinosaur tooth from Morocco
  • Mosasaur tooth from Morocco
  • Edmontosaurus tooth from Montana
  • Trilobite from (need to find info)
  • Amber various insects from Columbia
  • Fish fossil from Wyoming
Sorry to burst your bubble, Project86, but there are no T. rex fossils known from Africa, the Moroccan spinosaur teeth are likely fossil croc teeth (they're hard to tell apart without a microscope, so they're usually just passed off as spinosaur teeth).

That said, how does everyone here feel about purchasing fossils and the independent fossil trade? Is it always admissible?

(And here's a big trilobite for ya, FallingWaters:

_964027_tril300a.jpg
) :)

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry to burst your bubble, Project86, but there are no T. rex fossils known from Africa, the Moroccan spinosaur teeth are likely fossil croc teeth (they're hard to tell apart without a microscope, so they're usually just passed off as spinosaur teeth).

Sorry to burst your bubble Mallon but it is a real Spinosaur tooth. Of course what do I know, I'm a creationist. ;) You are right about the African T Rex though. I should have paid closer attention. It is a Carcharodontosaurus tooth from Morocco. I will correct my original post.

That said, how does everyone here feel about purchasing fossils and the independent fossil trade? Is it always admissible?

(And here's a big trilobite for ya, FallingWaters:

_964027_tril300a.jpg
) :)

Is that your fossil or one you just found on the internet? As for fossil purchasing and trading it should always be done honestly and legally. I am picky about where I get my fossils from so Mallon stop thinking I'm some ignorant sap.

Upvote 0

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I don't understand the question. It appears to be political in nature. What are the issues involved?

PS: Thanks for the picture.

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Sorry to burst your bubble Mallon but it is a real Spinosaur tooth.
How do you know, out of curiosity? Like I said, spinosaur teeth are often confused for croc teeth from northern Africa.

Is that your fossil or one you just found on the internet?
Off the Internet. It's the largest trilobite in the world (from Manitoba).

As for fossil purchasing and trading it should always be done honestly and legally. I am picky about where I get my fossils from so Mallon stop thinking I'm some ignorant sap.
Please don't be so sensitive. I never implied you were an ignorant sap. But I do think that the pros and cons of the fossil market is something all fossil collectors should consider and I thought it might be worth discussing here. Because every fossil sold privately is (a) one fossil taken from the public and (b) one fossil lost to science. These things are worth considering. Especially when it comes to rare beauties nearly lost to science like this one:
img200409081094658891.jpg

Upvote 0

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

According to wiki, the average trilobite fossil is 1 to 3 1/2 inches, so the one I saw was on the larger end of that.

Upvote 0

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
As far as buying fossils goes, I am under the impression that there are billions and billions of fossils all over the earth. I think it's good for science that average people get to own a piece of history and earth science. I see no harm in people owning fossils that are common and in abundant supply.

However, I would hope that people would do the honorable thing and make sure that rare fossil finds are brought to the attention to people in authority and preserved by museums for study and the public good. I see nothing wrong with making sure those people are paid well for their find. I think that would discourage alternative market activity to a certain degree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How do you know, out of curiosity? Like I said, spinosaur teeth are often confused for croc teeth from northern Africa.

When someone deals in hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of fossils yearly and is trusted by many people and he says he knows it is a Spinosaur tooth I'll trust him. If you want to fly out here free of charge with a microscope though feel free! I'll try to post a picture later on. As I mentioned though it isn't one of the larger teeth since my pocket book isn't that large.

Off the Internet. It's the largest trilobite in the world (from Manitoba).

Ahh, ok. I have seen some large ones in person but not that big. Didn't realize that is the largest one.

Please don't be so sensitive. I never implied you were an ignorant sap. But I do think that the pros and cons of the fossil market is something all fossil collectors should consider and I thought it might be worth discussing here. Because every fossil sold privately is (a) one fossil taken from the public and (b) one fossil lost to science. These things are worth considering. Especially when it comes to rare beauties nearly lost to science like this one:

Only if you promise to stop being so insensitive (please don't take that too serious)! I am trying to keep this thread light hearted and evolutionists are more then welcome to post here if it is posts such as yours but please don't jump the gun and think my fossils are not what they are listed as unless you have proof. As you mention fossils are to be enjoyed by all. That is one reason I take my collection serious and show them off to all the people I know. To me these fossils even have more importance. They are a reminder of the flood and God's judgment. They are the remains of some wonder creatures that God created that are no longer around. Minor fossils like teeth and trilobites are pretty abundant so dealing them is no problem. The bigger fossils I have seen being sold by dealers are typical on display for all to enjoy. No need to pay $10 to the museum when I can go to the local store here and I can see some nice collections. Any collector that is in it just for the money I would be against. Of course in our fallen world you will find people like that all over.

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As far as buying fossils goes, I am under the impression that there are billions and billions of fossils all over the earth. I think it's good for science that average people get to own a piece of history and earth science. I see no harm in people owning fossils that are common and in abundant supply.

However, I would hope that people would do the honorable thing and make sure that rare fossil finds are brought to the attention to people in authority and preserved by museums for study and the public good. I see nothing wrong with making sure those people are paid well for their find. I think that would discourage alternative market activity to a certain degree.

I would agree. I would like to add fossil collecting is a great learning experience and I hope to make it part of our family's home schooling. Collecting fossils you find yourself is even more rewarding. There are several places in Minnesota you can go that are legal. You won't find any dinosaurs but I have found Cephalopods (Orthocone) and hundreds of Brachiopods.

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Who would pay for the find, though? I doubt very much if the museums could afford it. They're underfunded as it is.

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Only if you promise to stop being so insensitive (please don't take that too serious)! I am trying to keep this thread light hearted and evolutionists are more then welcome to post here if it is posts such as yours but please don't jump the gun and think my fossils are not what they are listed as unless you have proof.
Relax. I'm not telling you that your fossil is a fake. I'm simply warning you that most teeth to come out of Morocco are fossil croc teeth, and sold as spinosaur teeth -- something any fossil collector should be wary of. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to, but this info comes from palaeontologists who have worked Morocco.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Molal

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2007
United States of America
✟38,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Being a structural geologist, the only good fossil is a deformed fossil :)

But, on a serious note, I do not collect fossils, and if I do happen to come across one that is particularly rare, I drop it off at my local university for analysis.

Upvote 0

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Being a structural geologist, the only good fossil is a deformed fossil :)

But, on a serious note, I do not collect fossils, and if I do happen to come across one that is particularly rare, I drop it off at my local university for analysis.
That is a good idea. I would do the same. Though I will probably never find a rare fossil since I don't look for them.

Upvote 0

Molal

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2007
United States of America
✟38,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
That is a good idea. I would do the same. Though I will probably never find a rare fossil since I don't look for them.
Although I do collect deformed rocks :) I have several deformed band iron formation specimens. They are very cool and originate from the great lakes region in the US.

I suppose you could call these fossils since they record the tectonic history of our planet. Just fossils of another kind.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.