Jan Volkes

Jun 24, 2015
UK
✟2,674.00
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
If that's true then all religions are internally and externally cohesive with reality because they are all saying virtually the same thing, every one of them are about seemingly non-existent supernatural beings affecting our lives and the world we live in.
That statement just shows your ignorance of religions in the world, but that just confirms what I already knew.
Do religions not claim deities exist?
It's easier for to you answer like that than confront the question, I completely understand.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ahahahahaha
The disciples followed Christ, He was killed. He rose from the dead. Now if that was false, why would they be willing to die for it? They followed Christ, He was killed, he didn't rise from the dead...it was a lie and they would know that...why would they die for it? Show me anyone ever that has died knowing that what they were claiming was a lie.

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
The disciples followed Christ, He was killed. He rose from the dead. Now if that was false, why would they be willing to die for it? They followed Christ, He was killed, he didn't rise from the dead...it was a lie and they would know that...why would they die for it? Show me anyone ever that has died knowing that what they were claiming was a lie.

Oh holy crap ahahahahaha..... Oh god

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What a dignified and rational response...not.
Remember, sis, most of these guys go with Mark Twain's definition of faith:

"Faith is believing what you know ain't so."

So according to Mark Twain, there is no such thing as true martyrs.

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,984.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
Provide some examples please.

People will die if they believe something is true, few if any will die if they know something is a lie.
You say about the early Christians being killed for their beliefs, but, according to the Bible the only one of Jesus's immediate followers who was killed for his faith was James the brother of John, who was killed by Herod (Acts 12:2). (This is not confirmed by Josephus, who tells us a great deal about the life of 'Herod' (King Agrippa I).)

Ananias and his wife Sapphira were struck dead for their belief that they could keep some of the money from the sale of their property, not because of their belief in the Resurrection (Acts 5:1-10), and Judas Iscariot killed himself (Matthew 27:5, Acts 1:18) before Jesus rose from the dead, so their deaths don't count as evidence that the story of the Resurrection is true. Stephen was lynched (Acts 7:58), so he didn't have any chance to recant. Anyway, Stephen wasn't one of the first followers of Jesus so presumably he believed what he had been told; he had no way of knowing whether what he had been told was true.

Apart from these, the Bible doesn't tell us anything about how the first Christians died; it is only the Apocryphal books that give the stories of their martyrdoms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

whois

rational
Mar 7, 2015
✟3,336.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Remember, sis, most of these guys go with Mark Twain's definition of faith:
"Faith is believing what you know ain't so."
somehow, i don't think this definition reflects truth of the situation.
there is a difference between rational faith, and blind faith.
rational faith is faith that the sun will rise tomorrow, there is reason to suspect it will.
blind faith is the belief or non belief in a god, there is no reason at all for either.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You say about the early Christians being killed for their beliefs, but, according to the Bible the only one of Jesus's immediate followers who was killed for his faith was James the brother of John, who was killed by Herod (Acts 12:2). (This is not confirmed by Josephus, who tells us a great deal about the life of 'Herod' (King Agrippa I).)

Ananias and his wife Sapphira were struck dead for their belief that they could keep some of the money from the sale of their property, not because of their belief in the Resurrection (Acts 5:1-10), and Judas Iscariot killed himself (Matthew 27:5, Acts 1:18) before Jesus rose from the dead, so their deaths don't count as evidence that the story of the Resurrection is true. Stephen was lynched (Acts 7:58), so he didn't have any chance to recant. Anyway, Stephen wasn't one of the first followers of Jesus so presumably he believed what he had been told; he had no way of knowing whether what he had been told was true.

Apart from these, the Bible doesn't tell us anything about how the first Christians died; it is only the Apocryphal books that give the stories of their martyrdoms.
http://magazine.biola.edu/article/13-fall/did-the-apostles-really-die-as-martyrs-for-their-f/

Historian Michael Licona captures the key point in his book The Resurrection of Jesus: A New Historiographical Approach: “After Jesus’ death, the disciples endured persecution, and a number of them experienced martyrdom. The strength of their conviction indicates that they were not just claiming Jesus had appeared to them after rising from the dead. They really believed it. They willingly endangered themselves by publicly proclaiming the risen Christ.”

While the evidence of martyrdom is far better for some of the apostles than others, the evidence for Peter is particularly strong. The earliest evidence is found in John 21:18–19, which was written about 30 years after Peter’s death. Bart Ehrman, in his book Peter, Paul, & Mary Magdalene: The Followers of Jesus in History and Legend, agrees that Peter is being told he will die as a martyr. Other evidence for Peter’s martyrdom can be found in early church fathers such as Clement of Rome, Ignatius, Dionysius of Corinth, Irenaeus, Tertullian and more. The early, consistent and unanimous testimony is that Peter died as a martyr.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
somehow, i don't think this definition reflects truth of the situation.
there is a difference between rational faith, and blind faith.
rational faith is faith that the sun will rise tomorrow, there is reason to suspect it will.
blind faith is the belief or non belief in a god, there is no reason at all for either.
I don't believe that blind faith is a part of Christianity other than that to trust God in directing your life. Evidence is abundant for His existence and we don't have to accept that due to that with anything close to blind faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

whois

rational
Mar 7, 2015
✟3,336.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I don't believe that blind faith is a part of Christianity other than that to trust God in directing your life.
we can't even define what a god is.
it certainly cannot be some kind omnipotent, holy, and righteous entity.
what kind of righteous being would allows the suffering of his creations?
what kind of god would allow people like stephen hawking to be born and call it justice?
i am not asking you to defend your faith, i'm just pointing out some of the basic facts here.
OTOH, i have been of the receiving end of what some would call miracles.
i've been is situations that by all rights i should have been dead.
Evidence is abundant for His existence and we don't have to accept that due to that with anything close to blind faith.
i just don't know.
what would be the purpose of creating all this stuff. life and the universe?
to make a bet with the devil?
to see which side humanity will go to?
sounds to me like this entity isn't as "all knowing" as we think.
what is he doing?
experimenting with us like rats in a maze?
he gives us feelings, then watches silently while some experience pain until they pass out.
he watches as young lovers can't deal with their emotions and commit suicide.
he just stands there while people like hawking wonder "will i ever be truly loved".

i submit that if there is truly a god, then the human race is it.
if that is the case, then it's easy to see how the bible can be the work of satan himself, to make you believe there is an outside entity when in fact it comes from humanity itself.

-the ramblings of an old hag.

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
we can't even define what a god is.
it certainly cannot be some kind omnipotent, holy, and righteous entity.
what kind of righteous being would allows the suffering of his creations?
what kind of god would allow people like stephen hawking to be born and call it justice?
i am not asking you to defend your faith, i'm just pointing out some of the basic facts here.
OTOH, i have been of the receiving end of what some would call miracles.
i've been is situations that by all rights i should have been dead.

i just don't know.
what would be the purpose of creating all this stuff. life and the universe?
to make a bet with the devil?
to see which side humanity will go to?
sounds to me like this entity isn't as "all knowing" as we think.
what is he doing?
experimenting with us like rats in a maze?
he gives us feelings, then watches silently while some experience pain until they pass out.
he watches as young lovers can't deal with their emotions and commit suicide.
he just stands there while people like hawking wonder "will i ever be truly loved".

i submit that if there is truly a god, then the human race is it.
if that is the case, then it's easy to see how the bible can be the work of satan himself, to make you believe there is an outside entity when in fact it comes from humanity itself.

-the ramblings of an old hag.

Motorcycle wreck?

Upvote 0

Zosimus

Non-Christian non-evolution believer
Oct 3, 2013
Lima, Peru
✟17,000.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
No, it isn't. In every aspect of my life, I use technology that would not be possible without the rigorous application of the scientific method. You obviously use it during your free time quite extensively, and if I may be so bold, do you walk to work, and did your job exist in its current form 500 years ago? In every single part of my life, the results of the scientific method are at work, and I can check and test them to see if they are or not. What do you want from me, exactly? What do you expect me to do, demonstrate all of modern science from the ground up?
It is no secret that I am a GMAT Instructor and work for Chicago GMAT Prep. As for whether my job existed 500 years ago, obviously not. The GMAT test was started in 1953.

Please explain how this proves how wonderful science is. I'm dying to know.

Upvote 0

Jan Volkes

Jun 24, 2015
UK
✟2,674.00
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
I guess you are right.
Keep telling each other that, Satan is behind all those people who are against God,
Rule one is 'God is always right', if ever God is shown to be wrong please defer to rule one.
It beggars belief what some people are prepared to believe, you could not make it up.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.