Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
By popular demand, I decided to bring my posts from the Christians only section to another part of the forum accessible to non Christians as well.

Old Earth Geology

Old Earth Geology Part 2 (The Grand Canyon)

I figured I would open an area of dicussion here for non Christians and YECs of this area to comment if they would like. Part one goes as follows....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I figured I would make a thread on the geology of New York, to see what Young Earth Creationists might think.

The discussion begins with the diagram below.
Fig-2-Geological-cross-section-of-the-Oatka-Creek-Formation-OCF-and-the-Geneseo.png

Genesee Group (NYDg;4)
Sonyea Group (NYDs;5)
Angola and Rhinestreet Shales (NYDwf;4)
Machias Formation (NYDcy;4)

At the base, limestone. Limestone largely consisting of microscopic carbonaceous shells. Derived from deep sea shelled organisms. These are rocks formed at great depths.

Dark carbonaceous shales (identified in the figure as black shale facies) are rich in organics. Formed in anoxic environments without oxygen for decomposition. With higher amounts of organic material, shales take on a dark black color. With less oxygen, oxygen poor environments yield precipitation of sulfide minerals.

These dark shales form in an environment also of a deep sea, but with influence from nearby deposition of sediment.

Above the black shale facies are mudstone-sandstone facies. Shales again, but with higher oxygen content. Shallow waters allow for circulation of oxygen forming minerals like hematite (FeO2) and Magnetite (FeO3). The rocks take on a lighter hue. Sandstones, formed in shallow marine and terrestrial environments (much like the sandy beaches of today).

These are the rocks of shallow marine and a terrestrial beach like environment.

Above these rocks still, the Catskill Devonian red beds. Highly oxidated. Lithologies found in fining upward sequences with turbidites, sorted by density, with conglomerates (rocks formed in tumbling depositional environments).
-----------------------------------------------------
Collectively, we have 5 groups of rock, each group having the sequence of rocks above.

Beyond that further, atop the Devonian shale is glacial till (unsorted, not deposited by water), glacial moraines, drop stones, glacial striations, lakes in a north to south direction (carved by glaciers moving in a north to south direction)

These are traits of Pleistocene ice ages.
Glacial+Till.jpg

14972692967_734beb03c6_b.jpg

FingerLakes_tmo_2013126.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------
Uniformitarianism has a simple explanation. The Acadian Orogeny.

As continental crust advances from the ocean in a western direction into what was then central america, mountain ranges are eroding, depositing sediment. Deltas form along the mountain range. Sea level rises, deeper waters give rise to anoxic carbonaceous shales. Sea level drops, the sea becomes aerated, more oxidized minerals form, rocks change color and chemistry.

Fast forward to the pleistocene epoch, ice comes down from the north, carves the great lakes and finger lakes, then deposits unsorted glacial till as it melts away.

And the fossils match. No dinosaurs in NY as the rocks are twice as old as the earliest dinosaurs. No mammals, no birds. Tetrapods are present (as predicted, tetrapods are of the devonian period). No bunny rabbits. Just devonian tetrapods and fish.
--------------------------------------------------------------
How could such a complex geology ever be explained as something to have formed within 6000 years?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 2, goes as follows

I enjoyed Old Earth Geology (Part 1)
Old Earth Geology

Old Earth Geology Part 1 was written as a challenge to young earthers. I requested some sort of feasible explanation from a young earth point of view for the geologic qualities seen in New York.

Young earthers were unable to explain the geologic features of New York. So, I decided to make another post, Part 2. And Part 1 is still open for discussion for anyone who would like to take on the challenge.

Part 2.

The East Kaibab Monocline and Butte Fault.
View attachment 213665
265036_040a6a70e6ef11762456d3ff9de251d3.png

The Part 2 challenge for young earthers is simple. Explain how young earth flood geology can account for the sequence, offeset, and unconformities of the above diagram.

I suppose at a later time i could give the uniformitarian explanation.

But I would like to hear the young earthers explanation for the above diagram, and how such an area could form during a global flood.

Also, these are all paleozoic rocks by the way, they superpositionally predate the K-T boundary and the mesozoic.

265041_db0a13d738a76304b56d099daa1691d7.png

265196_67dbfa69d18ae5b818105b0636e4be13.png

From an old earth perspective, the stages of development at the east kaibab fault are pretty straight forward.

265036_040a6a70e6ef11762456d3ff9de251d3.png

Both old and young earth creationists recognize an order of operations, involving deposition of layers on the bottom, prior to layers on the top. And with that...

To begin, we have deposition/formation of
PCb
PCh
PCs
PCd
PCc
PCn
PCg and
PCk
These were hardened, solidified strata, and the eastern side of the diagram was uplifted relative to the left side. These layers were also offset, and at some degree, were tilted toward the east.
The top layers were eroded away, evenly, down to PCg on the right side.
Then we have the deposition and formation of
Cl
Cba
Cm
Otb
Mr
Ps
Pe
Ph
Pc
Pt and
Pk
Trmo
Trc
Tm
Jk
Jn
Jc
Je
Kd
Kt
Ksc
Kw
The right side was then uplifted during compressional faulting. Faults propogated up to the cretaceous. All of these layers must have been hardened and solidified for the occurrence and development of propogating reverse slip faulting, which brought the east side of the fault back down (but not as far as it was previously uplifted) and also resulted in the formation of synthetic and antithetic faulting beyond the primary fault.

This kind of faulting doesnt occur in soft layers of wet or saturated flood sediments, this type of fracturing occurs in solid rock. These rocks, just as those previously faulted, were hardened, solidified, rocks. Not mushy, quick deposited, flood mush.

Then you have deposition of Kk.

All the while, during this recent phase of uplift, you have extensive erosion and deposition caused by uplifted streams and rivers across the region of the grand canyon and beyond.

This is your relative dating order of operations for the diagram in the original post. This is already something that is far beyond the capabilities of a global flood or a young earth to account for. And, this is without even discussing the qualities of each of the above listed formations, things like what they are made of, and what fossils are present within them.

And people seem to somehow believe that a flood did this, or that it happened in 1 year.

And all of this happened, superpositionally before the K-T extinction. There are dinosaur tracks, dinosaur nests, ya know, there is evidence that dinosaurs lived and walked and did dinosaur things throughout these layers.

So, I would ask anyone, where does a global flood that resulted in the extinction of the above mentioned dinosaurs, fit into this picture?

Last edited:

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
So, I would ask anyone, where does a global flood that resulted in the extinction of the above mentioned dinosaurs, fit into this picture?

The Global Flood completely dissolved Adam's Earth in Lake Van, Turkey 11,000 years ago. As Adam's firmament sank, it released the 450 ft long Ark, which contained the FIRST Humans on this Earth, into the Lake. Human civilization can be traced to the Arks arrival in the mountains of Ararat.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I see no problem with the charts depicting the fault lines and layers of sediment etc.
The problem old earthers have is timing: archeologists do not find, for instance in the Grand Canyon, any evidence of deterioration in the layers as would be if each layer were exposed to millions or even just thousands of years of "weathering" erosion.

I personally believe there were types of dinosaurs on the Ark. They died off in time due to the change in the atmosphere perhaps, that layer of thick cloud that produced rain for the first time to create the flood, gone. There are dinosaur toys found in children's tombs in Egypt, and pictograms of dinosaurs in the Mayan ruins.

God created everything with age: no baby Adam, no baby animals to parade by him to name, no seeds to plant and wait to eat at harvest, no light to take forever to get here... it was all. just. spoken. into being.

• Winner
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Wakalix

Sep 21, 2017
Wisconsin
✟18,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The Global Flood completely dissolved Adam's Earth in Lake Van, Turkey 11,000 years ago. As Adam's firmament sank, it released the 450 ft long Ark, which contained the FIRST Humans on this Earth, into the Lake. Human civilization can be traced to the Arks arrival in the mountains of Ararat.
...Adam's Earth/firmament? What is that? And how can a "firmament" be dissolved in water? Is it water-soluble?

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟295,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I see no problem with the charts depicting the fault lines and layers of sediment etc.
The problem old earthers have is timing: archeologists do not find, for instance in the Grand Canyon, any evidence of deterioration in the layers as would be if each layer were exposed to millions or even just thousands of years of "weathering" erosion.

I personally believe there were types of dinosaurs on the Ark. They died off in time due to the change in the atmosphere perhaps, that layer of thick cloud that produced rain for the first time to create the flood, gone. There are dinosaur toys found in children's tombs in Egypt, and pictograms of dinosaurs in the Mayan ruins.

God created everything with age: no baby Adam, no baby animals to parade by him to name, no seeds to plant and wait to eat at harvest, no light to take forever to get here... it was all. just. spoken. into being.

Archeologists do not study the earth or features in deep rock (geologists do). Archaeologists study artifacts of human history, which is why they may not be aware of disconformities, non conformities, paraconformities and angular unconformities in the grand canyon.

But, this is why I made this post. Feel free to take a stab at explaining the development and formation of the depicted geologic features, through a young earth view, and/or with use of a global flood.

Upvote 0

Wakalix

Sep 21, 2017
Wisconsin
✟18,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
They don't? The Grand Canyon is six million years of weathering! We find it by looking at the big hole in the ground.
Wait, there was a large cloud layer containing enough water to flood the entire Earth to a height above the highest mountain? That's 4.0908 quintillion cubic meters of water! Assuming the thick layer was as dense as the thickest clouds on Earth, that would be 1.3 times as voluminous as Earth! The cloud would have a radius of 6.24385×10^7 meters. While that's only 16% of the way to the Moon (so it wouldn't have caused problems there), the atmospheric pressure would be... less "magic life-lengthening" and more "everything is dead of crushing". This is totally unrealistic and where did it all go? The Earth doesn't have any room inside for 4.0908 quintillion cubic meters of water - it's already full of magma.
Why would he create something that looks old when he could just... not deceive us?

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Archeologists do not study the earth or features in deep rock (geologists do). Archaeologists study artifacts of human history, which is why they may not be aware of disconformities, non conformities, paraconformities and angular unconformities in the grand canyon.

But, this is why I made this post. Feel free to take a stab at explaining the development and formation of the depicted geologic features, through a young earth view, and/or with use of a global flood.

Yes indeed I misspoke... but archeologists haven't found any such evidence either. Geologists do not find the erosion even on the top of each/any layer thereby disproving long term exposure to elements.

Either you have studied young earth viewpoints or you haven't; either way, you choose not to believe it. I think this thread is not meant for a good discussion but a snarky one, so I'm out.

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟295,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes indeed I misspoke... but archeologists haven't found any such evidence either. Geologists do not find the erosion even on the top of each/any layer thereby disproving long term exposure to elements.

Either you have studied young earth viewpoints or you haven't; either way, you choose not to believe it. I think this thread is not meant for a good discussion but a snarky one, so I'm out.

Well im a geologist, and...indeed there are erosional surfaces, commonly known as unconformities, in the grand canyon.

Archaeologists dont work with geology. They...typically dont know anything about geology, though sometimes geologists and archaeologists work together on mutual projects. I work with a number of archaeologists and they dont know anything about rocks.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
How could such a complex geology ever be explained as something to have formed within 6000 years?

Wrong question leads to biased thought.
Geologically, it is not likely to be formed in such a short period of time.
But, how is this related to God and creation? Is that what you are asking?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
...Adam's Earth/firmament? What is that? And how can a "firmament" be dissolved in water? Is it water-soluble?

Adam's Earth was inside the firmament which was made the SECOND Day. Gen 1:8
The present Earth (Rock) was made the THIRD Day. Gen 2:4

Adam's small Earth (miles in diameter) was "clean dissolved" in the flood. Isa 24:19
The present Earth has NEVER been destroyed in Water. It will be burned. 2Pet3:10

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,892.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Wrong question leads to biased thought.
Geologically, it is not likely to be formed in such a short period of time.
But, how is this related to God and creation? Is that what you are asking?
KomatiiteBIF has provided two moderately detailed field examples that strongly contradict the claims of Young Earth Creationists. He is providing a platform for any YEC to explain the observations from those two examples in YEC terms. So far no YEC has even attempted to do so. (The best we have is an immoderate remark by a fourm ambassador who cannot distinguish bewteen a presentation of solid science and reasonable question on the one hand and a snarky remark on the other.)

Would you care to attempt a YEC explanation of the observations? Any one?

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,892.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
What is YEC?
Seriously? You've been participating in these discussions for longer than I have and you haven't previoulsy encountered the term? Young Earth Creationist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
KomatiiteBIF has provided two moderately detailed field examples that strongly contradict the claims of Young Earth Creationists.

False, since all matter fits into God's view in Genesis IF you have the proper understanding. God has but 6 Days/Ages and the 7th is Eternity. YECs have been telling mankind the Truth for thousands of years by FAITH. In the end, you too will see. God Bless you

Upvote 0