Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
we can't even define what a god is.
We must define something if it is to exist? Who made that rule?
Can you in your imagination think of anything more powerful than the concept of God?
it certainly cannot be some kind omnipotent, holy, and righteous entity.
what kind of righteous being would allows the suffering of his creations?
A righteous Being that wants people to be able to freely choose to be with Him? A righteous Being that has such righteousness that He can't be in the presence of any unrighteousness. A righteous Being that is the defender of and judge against all evil perpetrated by His creation. If someone does evil against us and goes free here, we know that they will either come to God for forgiveness or be punished for their sins against others. A righteous Being that gave us intelligence so that we could see His design in the universe and understand that He exists and of His power.

what kind of god would allow people like stephen hawking to be born and call it justice?
God set up a system where we are all unique and have free will to choose to do right but also the ability to do wrong. Not one of us are as righteous and good enough to be at God's standard of God but He made a plan that wipes clean all unrighteousness and evil.

i am not asking you to defend your faith, i'm just pointing out some of the basic facts here.
OTOH, i have been of the receiving end of what some would call miracles.
i've been is situations that by all rights i should have been dead.
Maybe He is giving you time to recognize His existence?

i just don't know.
what would be the purpose of creating all this stuff. life and the universe?
to make a bet with the devil?
to see which side humanity will go to?
sounds to me like this entity isn't as "all knowing" as we think.
what is he doing?
experimenting with us like rats in a maze?
How do we know joy if we do not understand sadness? How do we know pain without experiencing it? How do we know love if there isn't hate? How do we know well being if we never suffer? If we never suffer how do we become strong?

he gives us feelings, then watches silently while some experience pain until they pass out.
he watches as young lovers can't deal with their emotions and commit suicide.
he just stands there while people like hawking wonder "will i ever be truly loved".
I don't know if people don't take the time to hear Him, or even listen for Him but my son was depressed and suicidal for years. I prayed for years that God would take him from the darkness and show Him the light. My son had become an atheist. God did bring him into the light and the things that God did for him took my breath away. He is now a strong person who knows he wants to live. God does care and will with prayer answer.

i submit that if there is truly a god, then the human race is it.
if that is the case, then it's easy to see how the bible can be the work of satan himself, to make you believe there is an outside entity when in fact it comes from humanity itself.
So you would believe satan exists but not God? That is rather strange.

-the ramblings of an old hag.
You see the intelligence in all life, in all the universe. Humans did not create the universe; we did not create life but you clearly see the intelligence in everything. It is not there as an illusion as some would claim.

Reactions: justlookinla
Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Keep telling each other that, Satan is behind all those people who are against God,
Rule one is 'God is always right', if ever God is shown to be wrong please defer to rule one.
It beggars belief what some people are prepared to believe, you could not make it up.
If God did as we claim create the universe and everything in it, don't you think that He should be given the credit? Don't you think that He would probably be right considering the complexity we see in life and the universe much of what we barely understand?

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It is no secret that I am a GMAT Instructor and work for Chicago GMAT Prep. As for whether my job existed 500 years ago, obviously not. The GMAT test was started in 1953.

Please explain how this proves how wonderful science is. I'm dying to know.

It all comes down to the same thing I keep on saying: without the advances of the scientific method, virtually no part of your life would exist as you know it. Your cushy job, your means of getting to and from that job, where you live, what you do in your free time, whether you actually have free time, all of it can be traced back to the scientific method. And you can bring up your comparisons with "Oden's air" all you want, but unlike your examples, we can actually demonstrate how science is involved in your day-to-day life, whereas yours are literally appealing to myths and legends and claiming they have some intangible impact on something that exists regardless of them. It's not comparable. It's like looking at chemotherapy, saying, "See, look at this untested, unproven placebo he took, you can tell that this has nothing to do with his improving health, therefore there's no reason to believe the chemo worked".

This tiresome anti-science crusading just gets me mad. I wish I had the power to reach into your life and take away every advance science gave you. Because that's the only difference between you and a man living in Europe in the dark ages some 500 years ago. You have no idea how privileged you are.

Upvote 0

Jan Volkes

Jun 24, 2015
UK
✟2,674.00
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
If God did as we claim create the universe and everything in it, don't you think that He should be given the credit? Don't you think that He would probably be right considering the complexity we see in life and the universe much of what we barely understand?
If, If, If, how can live your life on an If? why make stuff up? what are you hoping to gain?
If Tinker Bell did it we would know as much about her as we do about religions Gods.

Upvote 0

whois

rational
Mar 7, 2015
✟3,336.00
Faith
Non-Denom
We must define something if it is to exist? Who made that rule?
Can you in your imagination think of anything more powerful than the concept of God?

A righteous Being that wants people to be able to freely choose to be with Him? A righteous Being that has such righteousness that He can't be in the presence of any unrighteousness. A righteous Being that is the defender of and judge against all evil perpetrated by His creation. If someone does evil against us and goes free here, we know that they will either come to God for forgiveness or be punished for their sins against others. A righteous Being that gave us intelligence so that we could see His design in the universe and understand that He exists and of His power.

God set up a system where we are all unique and have free will to choose to do right but also the ability to do wrong. Not one of us are as righteous and good enough to be at God's standard of God but He made a plan that wipes clean all unrighteousness and evil.

Maybe He is giving you time to recognize His existence?

How do we know joy if we do not understand sadness? How do we know pain without experiencing it? How do we know love if there isn't hate? How do we know well being if we never suffer? If we never suffer how do we become strong?

I don't know if people don't take the time to hear Him, or even listen for Him but my son was depressed and suicidal for years. I prayed for years that God would take him from the darkness and show Him the light. My son had become an atheist. God did bring him into the light and the things that God did for him took my breath away. He is now a strong person who knows he wants to live. God does care and will with prayer answer.

So you would believe satan exists but not God? That is rather strange.

You see the intelligence in all life, in all the universe. Humans did not create the universe; we did not create life but you clearly see the intelligence in everything. It is not there as an illusion as some would claim.
i'm not really in a position to argue for or against a god.
i feel that humanity needs such a thing, sort of a moral compass.
i see certain things that point to some sort of intelligence at work.
i've been the recipient of what some would call miracles.
i simply cannot outright say there is, or there isn't, a god.

i also believe that the vast number of people will say essentially the same thing.
this isn't any surprise though, because humanity has been grappling with this concept for centuries.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Where did you get this information?

Is this a copy-paste from who-knows-where?
Stephen was lynched ...
Not really.

Acts 7:58 And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul.
Acts 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
Astrophile said:
... so he didn't have any chance to recant.
Are you kidding me?

Acts 7:60 And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

In fact, it was witnessing Stephen's martyrdom that led to Saul of Tarsus' conversion.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Clearly, this is not true.
If it were true, then there wouldn't be more christian denominations then there are sentences in the bible.
There are seven churches in the Book of Revelation.
I have no reason to believe there are more then seven churches today.

upload_2015-8-18_21-2-50.jpeg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also seven hills of Rome.

Think about it!
We are told that Satan has his counterfeits.

The seven heads are seven mountains on which the woman sits,10and they are seven kings; five have fallen, one is, the other has not yet come; and when he comes, he must remain a little while.…Rev 17:9

Upvote 0

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This tiresome anti-science crusading just gets me mad. I wish I had the power to reach into your life and take away every advance science gave you. Because that's the only difference between you and a man living in Europe in the dark ages some 500 years ago. You have no idea how privileged you are.

The 'science is the answer to everything' crusading doesn't make me mad, it simply disappoints me. Personally, I'm thankful for science, but it's not the answer to everything.

Upvote 0

justlookinla

Mar 31, 2014
✟20,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Heres another relevant link
Enjoy.

Enjoy? Are you aware of the forum rules?

"All discussions with the intent of belittling or mocking Christians or Christianity will be promptly removed.
  • All discussions belittling Christians by calling them mentally inferior, ignorant, bigoted, etc. will be promptly removed."

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
How do you calculate the probability? How can you say, for example, that based on your experience that it's more (or less) likely that dragons or unicorns exist?

I make estimates based on life experiences. Having never experienced a dragon or a unicorn, never met another who has, and having noticed that they are often creatures of fiction; and seeing no credible evidence in their favor; I assign the probability so high as to go ahead and place my faith in the conclusion there are no dragons or unicorns.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.