Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What kind of help and treatment do you have in mind?
I found an article this morning on the psychology of mass murderers.
The mass murderer is an injustice collector who spends a great deal of time feeling resentful about real or imagined rejections and ruminating on past humiliations. He has a paranoid worldview with chronic feelings of social persecution, envy, and grudge-holding. He is tormented by beliefs that privileged others are enjoying life’s all-you-can-eat buffet, while he must peer through the window, an outside loner always looking in.

Later the article is pessimistic about prevention
Lots of people fit Dr. Knoll's demographic and psychological profile, but never act out their fantasies. We can easily predict a high-risk group, but have no way to identify the one specific person who will go haywire, and when it will happen. To prevent the act of the killer who winds up pulling the trigger, we would have to seriously violate the civil rights of the hundreds of thousands of others who resemble him, but turn out to be harmless.
The Mind of the Mass Murderer

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It is not easy to foresee how a person will react, unfortunately.

Neighbors to those who have carried out "terrorist" acts have mostly said something like,
"Who would have believed it?"

It may be adding to the pressure the world pressures us with,
but I cannot help but think, we all have a head on our shoulders, why not use it?

It maybe oversimplifying it though.

We cannot choose what happens around us but we can choose how to react.
Scientists are coming to the conclusion that humans do not have freewill. We might "feel" like we are making choices, but we actually are not.

If we want people to choose "good", then we must create the environment that makes that happen.

Another article mentions that mass killers are typically young males. The researchers think that evolution has made males sensitive to loss of manhood, and somehow mass killing becomes the solution for them. ... So I wonder if some of this comes from the Western tradition of romance-based marriages. Apparently arranged marriages work just as well IDK
The evolutionary psychology behind mass shootings - CNN

• Agree
Reactions: Robban
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Scientists are coming to the conclusion that humans do not have freewill. We might "feel" like we are making choices, but we actually are not.

If we want people to choose "good", then we must create the environment that makes that happen.

Another article mentions that mass killers are typically young males. The researchers think that evolution has made males sensitive to loss of manhood, and somehow mass killing becomes the solution for them. ... So I wonder if some of this comes from the Western tradition of romance-based marriages. Apparently arranged marriages work just as well IDK
The evolutionary psychology behind mass shootings - CNN

not to confuse I rated this post as "Agree",

Though the post was not posted, don,t know what happened,
a short while ago the computer thing I,m on, blacked out.

Anyhow, that may be so,

The most biggies in choices are already made,

However, if I have two pair of socks I can choose which pair to wear,

We are not robots

We were made in the image of the Master of the universe, which means,

we, have been endowed with a sense of morality,

the ability to reason,

free choice.

Shifting the blame is an old trick, but in the long run it is not a good idea.

Upvote 0

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How is that not a potential mass murderer?

I suppose it's something that leaders throughout the ages have wrestled with. How much responsibility do the kings, queens, emperors, prime ministers, presidents, etc who have ordered military actions throughout history, have in regards to all the death caused by those wars. I suppose until humanity doesn't feel the need to fight each other anymore, it's something rulers will have to contemplate.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Just a BTW,
The unpredictable Donald has threatened that if things are done not his way,

he has no choice but destroy N Korea, or so he boasts.

How is that not a potential mass murderer?

Come on,
I don't read the news, so I don't worry about these things. I've found that most of it is just a way to get people excited so they read the news and see the advertising. I don't feel like I'm missing much by not reading it.

But coincidentally I've been watching a series of lectures on ancient battles. Warfare is basically a ritual that both nations accept for resolving disputes. To eliminate warfare we simply need to find a different ritual and get everybody to agree to it. Maybe we should see which nation can field the best tap dancers.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I suppose it's something that leaders throughout the ages have wrestled with. How much responsibility do the kings, queens, emperors, prime ministers, presidents, etc who have ordered military actions throughout history, have in regards to all the death caused by those wars. I suppose until humanity doesn't feel the need to fight each other anymore, it's something rulers will have to contemplate.

I suppose that is where the marinalized and oppressed come into the picture.

We all have a voice and we all have the right to be heard.

Weapon industry is a gold mine.

Any one paying attention should know that most countries are fed up with wars.

But warmongers don,t give up that easy,
if there is no enemy, create one.

Upvote 0

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't read the news, so I don't worry about these things. I've found that most of it is just a way to get people excited so they read the news and see the advertising. I don't feel like I'm missing much by not reading it.

I'm the same. I pay attention here and there, but overall I don't let it effect my reality. The 24 hour news cycle is silly and plays havoc with people's minds.

I like what Denzel Washington said..."if you don't read/watch the news, you are uninformed. If you do read/watch the news, you are misinformed."

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm the same. I pay attention here and there, but overall I don't let it effect my reality. The 24 hour news cycle is silly and plays havoc with people's minds.

I like what Denzel Washington said..."if you don't read/watch the news, you are uninformed. If you do read/watch the news, you are misinformed."

I do not follow either, have no newspapers, radio or TV,

while searching for a song, Blueberry hill,
there was a vid with Vladimir Putin singing,

It was an RT vid, now and again I tune in to see if there are any interesting interviews.

That,s about it for me.

I reckon if anything important happens the sirens will sound.

We have a siren system that is tested once a month,

but maybe longer intervall than a month, seems long ago sinceI I heard it.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
We have a siren system that is tested once a month,

but maybe longer intervall than a month, seems long ago sinceI I heard it.
I don't think I have ever heard them test sirens in the US. They used to have a thing on TV late at night "BEEEEEEEEEEEEP. This is a test of the emergency broadcast system. It is only a test. blah blah blah"

I wonder if they have a way to send everybody a text message or a recorded telephone call today?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't think I have ever heard them test sirens in the US. They used to have a thing on TV late at night "BEEEEEEEEEEEEP. This is a test of the emergency broadcast system. It is only a test. blah blah blah"

I wonder if they have a way to send everybody a text message or a recorded telephone call today?

Air raid.

Important message

Danger over

• Haha
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

There has recently been a military exercise here,

I know a skipper on a small vessel,

I asked him how it went,

I could not believe my ears at his answer.

He spoke of sabotage, I was sure he was joking,

But no, he was serious,

Russia of course.

They had spotted a Russian vessel, then all radio contact was broken,
after the Russian had passed contact was resumed again.

What is there to say?

I wonder how some people get to sleep at night.

:)

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There has recently been a military exercise here,

I know a skipper on a small vessel,

I asked him how it went,

I could not believe my ears at his answer.

He spoke of sabotage, I was sure he was joking,

But no, he was serious,

Russia of course.

What is there to say?

:)
I guess I don't understand US foreign relations, so I won't try to understand Sweden.

I think what would help most would be if the US supported the global warming treaties. Those treaties make oil less desirable and that would cause a price drop. Oil exporters like Russia and Saudi Arabia would need to cut back on their foreign meddling. Nuclear power could pick up the slack. Here's an article about small nuclear reactors that could replace small oil reactors.
Small modular reactor - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Russian had their own exercise testing the ECM/Jamming systems on a warship. I'm sure it's nothing new.

As mentioned, it's nothing new. Russia and the West have messed with each other since the Cold War began. You always see news reports of Russian bombers getting close to NATO airspace, etc and everyone's like 'oh my! the Russians!' but stuff like that has always happened. Part of the an old game dating back to the 50's. Just in our current political climate and with a 24hr news cycle to feed, everything gets blown out of proportion.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I guess I don't understand US foreign relations, so I won't try to understand Sweden.

I think what would help most would be if the US supported the global warming treaties. Those treaties make oil less desirable and that would cause a price drop. Oil exporters like Russia and Saudi Arabia would need to cut back on their foreign meddling. Nuclear power could pick up the slack. Here's an article about small nuclear reactors that could replace small oil reactors.
Small modular reactor - Wikipedia

There was a price drop not so long ago it caused havoc.

Solar power I would put my money on, unfortunately here is not so good in the winter time,
too few daylight hours also the sun at too low an angle.

In some parts of Norway it is worse winter time, the sun does not rise above the mountain tops.
I lived in a place when you never saw the sun from about November until April.

We have made ourselves dependant on oil.

Maybe too late to turn back.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There was a price drop not so long ago it caused havoc.
I read that a factor in the fall of the USSR was that Saudi Arabia agreed to keep the price of oil low. I don't know if Russia's exports still depend on oil as much today, but it seems like it might work. Putin will need to get a job as a nightclub singer, because he won't have that oil revenue ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I read that a factor in the fall of the USSR was that Saudi Arabia agreed to keep the price of oil low. I don't know if Russia's exports still depend on oil as much today, but it seems like it might work. Putin will need to get a job as a nightclub singer, because he won't have that oil revenue ;)
It is interesting that if Gorbachev had just ignored the economic turmoil of the 80s, like Andropov, the higher commodity prices of the 90s and onwards would have saved the Soviet Economy. Then we would still have had a planned Soviet Superpower today, with maybe a tripolar world between the US, USSR and China.

But as the old saying used to go: an Optimist learns Russian, a pessimist Chinese.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It is interesting that if Gorbachev had just ignored the economic turmoil of the 80s, like Andropov, the higher commodity prices of the 90s and onwards would have saved the Soviet Economy. Then we would still have had a planned Soviet Superpower today, with maybe a tripolar world between the US, USSR and China.

But as the old saying used to go: an Optimist learns Russian, a pessimist Chinese.
Assuming that low oil prices were a Saudi policy designed to weaken the USSR, then I would guess the policy and the low oil prices would have continued as long as needed? Maybe the USSR could have become more friendly to Saudi Arabia, or maybe they could have reduced the supply of oil by overthrowing the government of one of the OPEC members? Overthrowing more governments through coups or invasions would have been extreme, but the fall of communism was extreme too. If the pro-democracy people had not saved Gorbachev, maybe the USSR would have made it? Sometimes I wonder if Gorbachev was a US agent. I guess that is pretty far-out LOL

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
So what if the marginalized and oppressed are people who are explicitly condemned by God?
Jesus (or his ghostwriters) adresses this when he chooses a Samaritan to illustrate his parable about loving your neighbour.
The Samaritans were reviled as heretics by the audience Jesus addressed. If an American preacher was telling this tale today, he might choose an atheist or a muslim to create a similar effect.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus (or his ghostwriters) adresses this when he chooses a Samaritan to illustrate his parable about loving your neighbour.
The Samaritans were reviled as heretics by the audience Jesus addressed. If an American preacher was telling this tale today, he might choose an atheist or a muslim to create a similar effect.
I think Jesus also had a pattern of helping lepers who were very marginalized (maybe they weren't oppressed though IDK)

Upvote 0