GrenAce
May 10, 2005
Oakley, California
✟18,998.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Republican
Aldous Huxley published a book of essays entitled "the education of an amphibian" (or something like that). in one of the earlier essays, he makes an interesting observation: people often approach issues in life with preconceived ideas. occasionally, people are exposed to points of view that challange their long-held views of the world. most people tend to think about these new ideas for a little while, and then forget them. ultimately, most people forget new points of view that they've heard, and go back to living their old lives. new stimulating ideas seldom have an effect on anyone. so, my first two questions:

1. is there any one here that has had their views significantly altered by what they have read on this website, or have your views been modified only slightly, or at all?

2. if your views have been altered, have they been so to the extent that you would actually change your actions in any real world situations (like voting on an issue, dating or business practices, etc)?

---the second part---

i have found some topics on this site to be interesting. i must admit though, that the reason i came here in the first place was to try to change the views of christians to more "rational" ways of looking at things (i'm sure this was the motivation of others as well). it seems that the same christians always read what is in the forums that are open to non-christians. these christians are open to new points of view, and are hence not the people that i hoped to communicate with. i had hoped to communicate with christians that are very set in their ways, or at least a larger audience, so that we could learn from each other. it seems to me that "converting" anyone away from christianity, or at least toward a more moderate form of it simply will not happen. so, my final question:

3. have any of the non-christians posting here felt that they have had any luck convincing christians to discard their beliefs in favor of other, more open, ways of looking at the world?

tocis

Warrior of Thor
Jul 29, 2004
Northern Germany
✟10,966.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Grengor said:
3. have any of the non-christians posting here felt that they have had any luck convincing christians to discard their beliefs in favor of other, more open, ways of looking at the world?

Not here, and not all on my own... but I have been participating in "deconverting" people, so to say. Though these were usually the people I'd have had the least trouble with if they had remained christians... and in fact, those who did deconvert were the ones I never wanted to get out of their faith. Oh well, there's always a catch to everything... :D

Sadly, the ones I would have loved to see leave the fold have never done so.

Upvote 0

PKJ

Aug 30, 2005
Montreal
Visit site
✟9,493.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Bloc
The key is to deprogram christians live, not on a forum.

On the web they have lots of time to think it out, find the right tape among all the pre-made christian answer cassettes, and mentally copy-paste it. When talking in person, it becomes much tougher for them.

Plus, you can always use the "can you say that again without laughing?" argument when debating in person. Works well against the "voice in my head" type of arguments.

I also noticed that most christians will agree that hell is not a fair punishment when debating live (and in private), although they would not say so on a forum.

Upvote 0