New Britain
✟37,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Luke 13:23-24; Matthew 7:14; Luke 10:2; Matthew 9:37; Matthew 20:16; 1 Peter 3:20 only 8 were saved in the days of Noah.

Does that mean that absolutely everyone other than Noah's family went to Hell? That would have to mean that infants burn in hell....absurd

Yes they were physically destroyed by the flood but what can be said of their eternal destiny?

Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟37,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Only eight people? But didn't Jesus say all of his sheep will have Eternal life? So it cannot just be eight people.

Faith is worthless if only 8 people are saved. Salvation becomes an impossible puzzle that only the wisest can solve. This would be like a particularly cruel jigsaw killer who will only spare those clever enough to escape the "trap" (their own mortal shortcomings).

That doesn't sound like the gospel at all...

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To reiterate again - no one here has or ever would approve of sin in their life after receiving Christ initially.

First, I have talked with Christians in person and online who said they can sin as much as they want and it would not effect their salvation. One man admitted to me that he could mow down a crowd with a sub machine gun and he would still be saved during the process of doing so. Granted, he had no intention of doing so or anything. He just said he would be saved even if he did that.

Second, when you say that a believer will never overcome serious sin in this life when the Bible teaches that it is possible to do so, you are going against what the Scriptures say. It sets a standard of morality that you are going against. Yes, God's grace is there for people who do sin (even later in their faith), but believers do not expect that they are going to sin as it is a matter of fact or fate. This is approval of sin because it is having a mind set that one will sin at some point in the future when the Bible says that this does not have to be this way for us at all.

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." (1 Corinthians 10:13).

You said:
I believe that you and I will both do our best to refrain from sin and that we will both confess and receive forgiveness if we fail.

Do our best to refrain from sin is not the same as God Word's telling you that we as believers can overcome sin (1 Peter 4:1-2, 2 Corinthians 7:1, Galatians 5:24, Ephesians 4:17-27, Romans 6:14, Romans 6:19, Romans 6:22).

You said:
I'm assuming we'll both try our utmost to work out our salvation in all of it's various portions throughout our lives.

I thought you don't believe in working out your salvation? I thought you believe that salvation is in having a belief alone on Jesus as your Savior and that no works are involved?

You said:
The question remains in my mind whether your striving will count as trying to earn the salvation which the Lord paid such a great price for - rather than as faith in what He has done.

As I told you before. I believe Christ saves a person both initially (without works) and ultimately in regards to salvation through faith. This is Justification or the foundation of our faith. But it is not at the exclusion of good works that then come immediately after a person accepts Christ as their Savior. Belief in Jesus as one's Savior is not supposed to stop (even though some have later turned away from Jesus after accepting Him). But in addition to God's saving grace, the Scriptures also teach that Sanctification is the next step or stage in the salvation process. It is about getting rid of sin out of your life. It is about making good on the profession to Jesus that you are sorry about your sins and that you would do them no more. Jesus not only came to forgive us of our past sins, but He came to help us to overcome our sins. 1 John 3:8 says that Christ was manifested to destroy the works of the devil. If a believer commits serious sin again and does not repent of it (followed by the fruits of repentance - which is forsaking their sin), then they need to get their heart right with the Lord. They need to rededicate their life to Christ. They need to make a real committment. Jesus says pick up your cross, deny yourself, and come follow me. For he that shall save his life shall lose it, and he that shall lose his life for Christ's sake will save it. Sanctification is done when somebody is sold out to Christ. It is surrendering to Christ and allow Him to do the good work through you. Actually three persons of the Godhead or the Trinity work through the believer. If this is not the case, then a person is going against the will of God. Sanctification is supposed to compliment Justification. Why? Because Sanctification is a part of living out one's faith and we are saved by grace through faith. By faith, Noah built an Ark. If Noah did not build the Ark, he and his family would have perished along with everyone else. If he had just a belief alone, and he refused to obey God, that type of faith would not have saved him.

You said:
I may well be wrong about the Lord keeping me saved forever. But I don't see any warnings against my believing that He will being,

"Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God; but exhort one another daily, while it is called 'Today', lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin." (Hebrews 3:12-13)

"Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away. For if the word spoken through angels proved steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just reward, how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation? ..." (Hebrews 2:1-3).

"Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come. Therefore, let him who thinks he stands, take heed lest he fall." (I Corinthians 10:11-12).

"Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off." (Romans 11:22).

9 "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God." (1 Corinthians 6:9-10).

"And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (Matthew 7:23).

26 "And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it." (Matthew 7:26-27).

"And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 25:30).

41 "Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal
."
(Matthew 25:41-46).

You said:
as it were, "another gospel".

Well, I showed you verses already that the gospel is tied to righteous actions or living out our faith. You obviously did not look at them closely enough. In addition, Mark 16:15-16 Jesus says to preach the gospel as a part of the great commission. Yet, in Matthew 28:19-20, Jesus tells the disciples to do the following as a part of the great commission.

19 "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen." (Matthew 28:19-20).

Did you catch verse 20? It says that the disciples are to teach others to observe all things that He had commanded them.

So it is more than telling others about the gospel.
In fact, Scripture says there are those who OBEY not the gospel (2 Thessalonians 1:8) (1 Peter 4:17).
How exactly do you obey the gospel?

You said:
However I cannot say the same for your belief system.

Just as you see strong warnings about not living an obedient life before the Lord -- I see strong warnings about a person trying to be justified before the Lord by doing so.

You are ignoring the context that the word "Law" is in reference to the Law of Moses.
Paul said in Romans 3:1, what profit is there in circumcision? Paul says in Galatians 5:2 that if you seek to be circumcisied, Christ shall profit you nothing. Circumcision was of the Old Law and not the New Law (i.e. the commands given to us in the New Testament). Paul never condemned God's Eternal Moral Laws (that existed even before the written Law of Moses). Paul says that loving your neighbor fulfills the moral law (Romans 13:8-10). In fact, Paul says in 1 Timothy 6:3-4 that if a man speaks contrary to the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine of Godliness, he is proud and he knows nothing.
James says God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble (James 4:6).
You are also ignoring the fact that faith without works is dead (James 2:17). True faith always leads to right action. You are ignoring the fact that we are justified by works (James 2:24).

You said:
It's undoubtedly not the best way to put it. But, seriously, I do wish for a good end for you and your view of the salvation process.

Why would you wish me a good end for my view of the salvation process if you disagree with it? Did you forget what Galatians 1:8 says?
Anyways, I believe I am preaching the true and complete gospel (that most are confused about today). Many today do not realize that the gospel is tied to sanctification (i.e. holy living) (See Ephesians 5:28-30 and Titus 2:14).

Last edited:
Reactions: EmethAlethia
Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
when you say that a believer will never overcome serious sin in this life when the Bible teaches that it is possible to do so, you are going against what the Scriptures say.
I never said anything like that.
.....but believers do not expect that they are going to sin as it is a matter of fact or fate.
Some do and some don't I suppose. But not as a normal pattern of life going forward of course.

Maybe you've been a better man than I have during the sanctification period. More power to you if you have. But after failing a couple of hundred times in 60 years of Christian life, as I have, you get to wondering if you will ever get complete victory before passing on or at least something which seems like it.
This is approval of sin because it is having a mind set that one will sin at some point in the future when the Bible says that this does not have to be this way for us at all.
No - it's not "approval" of sin (I don't know where you get such a term:scratch:). It's just a recognition for most of us that we probably will.
I thought you don't believe in working out your salvation? I thought you believe that salvation is in having a belief alone on Jesus as your Savior and that no works are involved?
I have no idea where you got that idea. Perhaps you are the one who sees salvation as just an initial confession. Certainly I never have.
This is Justification or the foundation of our faith. But it is not at the exclusion of good works that then come immediately after a person accepts Christ as their Savior.
No one has said otherwise.
Belief in Jesus as one's Savior is not supposed to stop
No kidding. Did you have the idea that anyone here thought otherwise?
in addition to God's saving grace, the Scriptures also teach that Sanctification is the next step or stage in the salvation process. It is about getting rid of sin out of your life. It is about making good on the profession to Jesus that you are sorry about your sins and that you would do them no more. Jesus not only came to forgive us of our past sins, but He came to help us to overcome our sins. 1 John 3:8 says that Christ was manifested to destroy the works of the devil.
Again - no kidding. Did you have the idea that anyone here thought otherwise?
If a believer commits serious sin again and does not repent of it (followed by the fruits of repentance - which is forsaking their sin), then they need to get their heart right with the Lord. They need to rededicate their life to Christ. They need to make a real committment.
Did you have the idea that anyone here thought otherwise?
Sanctification is done when somebody is sold out to Christ. It is surrendering to Christ and allow Him to do the good work through you.
Again - these things are basic Christian walk 101. Did you have the idea that anyone here thought otherwise?
Sanctification is supposed to compliment Justification. Why? Because Sanctification is a part of living out one's faith and we are saved by grace through faith.
You are, again, stating the obvious.
Jesus tells the disciples to do the following as a part of the great commission.

19 "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen." (Matthew 28:19-20).

Did you catch verse 20? It says that the disciples are to teach others to observe all things that He had commanded them.
Sure - do you think that people who believe in the eternal security of the believer do and teach otherwise?
Why would you wish me a good end for my view of the salvation process if you disagree with it? Did you forget what Galatians 1:8 says?
Of course I haven't forgotten.

I hope that everyone - even those who's doctrine isn't correct - will be admitted into the Father's presence. I just believe that you and some others are skating pretty close to believing and preaching another gospel.
Many today do not realize that the gospel is tied to sanctification (i.e. holy living) (See Ephesians 5:28-30 and Titus 2:14).
Most every believer in eternal security realizes that.

You seem to still be laboring under the misconception that just because a person doesn't believe that they lose and regain salvation (in the basic Heaven vs. Hell sense) every time they sin - they believe in an antinomian theology.

You have been corrected on that several times now.

Many if not most people, who believe Jesus words concerning never again coming into condemnation once having passed from death to life, teach victory over sin and yielding to the Holy Spirit just as much as you do.

The difference, of course, is that they do not believe that their basic salvation depends on a certain degree of victory or it will be lost.

I have no idea where you got the idea you have about people who believe like me "approving" of sin or preaching that God "approves" of sin.

But you are dead wrong. What's worse is that you will not be corrected even when told time and time again that we do not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SparkyKarl

May 23, 2016
United Kingdom
✟12,212.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think people in general make it much more difficult then need be. Fruit of the spirit is important no doubt, we ought to try and be Holy as God is Holy, but God already know's that we've fallen short of his Glory that's why he sent his Son because God knew we couldn't make it on our own. The thief on the Cross next to Jesus is the perfect example, he had lived a life full of sin, but by acknowledging Christ in his final moments was permitted entry into the Kingdom of God. Doesn't this say something?

ALL who believe in his Son will never be condemned, but will have eternal life.

Truly, truly, I tell you, whoever hears My word and believes Him who sent Me has eternal life and will not come under judgment. Indeed, he has crossed over from death to life.

Upvote 0

Von Davidicus

Aug 6, 2013
Somewhere over here
✟20,544.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Matthew 7:22-23 says "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me."

So basically, even if one has confessed and accepted Christ, professed the Lord's name and done His work will be cast out, that one will still be cast out if it's not in the Lord's plan that he or she will be saved. As it says in Ecclesiastes 1:2, what we do here on Earth is meaningless.

Upvote 0

Michael6216

Sep 21, 2016
Illinois
✟8,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What did Jesus mean when he said "few will be saved?" There are billions of Christians out there! Christianity is the largest religion in the world! So surely many will be saved? What are we missing? Discuss.
He never said few would be saved. He said few would find the narrow path.

He evidently revealed this to Paul though.

A7638B31-6787-4236-9536-6021D322864B.jpeg

Attachments

• EC8B14EC-FAB7-405C-8930-1EA045975024.jpeg
    EC8B14EC-FAB7-405C-8930-1EA045975024.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Does that mean that absolutely everyone other than Noah's family went to Hell? That would have to mean that infants burn in hell....absurd

Yes they were physically destroyed by the flood but what can be said of their eternal destiny?
Don't know the time of the Lord? Because an exception for sinners was made for the people before Christ so Grace was extended for them.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
He never said few would be saved. He said few would find the narrow path.

He evidently revealed this to Paul though.

View attachment 209271

That's true. But, I did think he said that few would be saved somewhere in Matthew. Or maybe I'm wrong. I'll check.

Upvote 0

Sine Nomine

Scientist and Christian
Jun 13, 2012
Albany, NY
✟26,489.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
What did Jesus mean when he said "few will be saved?" There are billions of Christians out there! Christianity is the largest religion in the world! So surely many will be saved? What are we missing? Discuss.

If this is Luke 13:23, Jesus doesn't say "few will be saved", he answers the question "will few be saved?". The answer is telling. Jesus says many will try to enter by the narrow door, but then he intimates that only being known by the owner of the house will gain entry. This passage is a critique of the Pharisaic legal system that doesn't result in knowing God.

Will few be saved? How many know the Master?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
havent read the thread but i want to know exactly what verse you are quoting.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟918,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I'm wrong. It was just a question asked to Jesus in Luke 13:23 and Jesus didn't really say "Few will be saved" he said "Many will try to enter through the gate (him) and not be able to".

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
First, I have talked with Christians in person and online who said they can sin as much as they want and it would not effect their salvation. One man admitted to me that he could mow down a crowd with a sub machine gun and he would still be saved during the process of doing so. Granted, he had no intention of doing so or anything. He just said he would be saved even if he did that.

This man gave an ignorant supposition.

A man WHO has committed his Life unto the Lord, has committed his Life unto the Lord!
He IS SAVED forever unto the Lord. Period.

Such a man IS thus, born of the Seed of God, which then can NO LONGER EVER SIN AGAIN.
His STANDING WILL FOREVER BE "WITH" the Lord.

Could such a thing, as this man proposes be true? Yes.

However, to blurt out such ignorance, leaves the listener with an ignorant perspective.

A horrific hypothetical without facts surrounding the hypothetical.

The FACT IS, Gods Spirit dwells in a man, God Power supersedes the mans INTENT.

You say, this man well, had not intentions of doing such a thing. Of course not. The POWER within the man is greater than any "intentions", the mans mind could dream up.

However, what IF, without INTENT, such a thing DID HAPPEN ? The result would be the same. Right?
Injured or killed people, property destroyed. Right? And would this man who caused the harm, be less saved unto God? No.

The man saying; IF HE WANTED TO..... undermines God, IMO.

A man WHO gives His LIFE to GOD.....then pretends He still has control, to WANT to do such a thing INTENTIONALLY, apparently does not realize, what giving His LIFE to God meant.....and his statement,
is a really ignorant example of trying to teach Gods soul saving is permanent.

And BTW - Sin is AGAINST GOD.....not a crowd of people, to which that would be a TRESPASS against those people, to which the man would be AGAINST those people, to which the man would ask for forgiveness of those he harmed.

God Bless,
SBC

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jack Terrence

Fighting the good fight
Feb 15, 2013
✟27,525.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Jesus was speaking about his own generation. His generation was the generation that rejected him. Only a few would be saved.

Heaven will be filled with believers. God promised Abraham that his seed would be innumerable "as the sand on the seashore." The Revelation says that the saved are a "great number which no man can number."

Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Because as most miss the entire point, there is a big difference between those who will rule in heaven with Jesus (144,000) and those who will live on the earth in the paradise it will become.

Don't confuse the few (144,000) with the vast Christian sea that will be resurrected to paradise on earth. Narrow is the gate that leads to heaven, but because one is not part of the 144,000 that will rule as kings and priests, does not mean few will live on earth in paradise when God comes down from heaven to dwell with mankind. The Bible does not say mankind will go to heaven to dwell with God, but that God will descend and dwell with mankind, in the paradise or Eden that He originally intended man to live in. Don't think Satan interrupting that plan means the plan will not be fulfilled.

Upvote 0

cordie

Jul 21, 2015
✟9,972.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think it's important not to take the bible literally. You'll end up making yourself sick over it. Jesus says one thing here, another thing there. No one is recording this. If such a vast humanity was created 4.6 billion years ago, we have had billions of people. I'd hate to think they will all perish. If Luke is speaking to unbelievers I highly doubt unbelievers are reading the literature. I'd think that with all the wakes I have attended whereby the deceased has a rosary positioned around their hands, that all these people will not be saved.

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus was speaking about his own generation. His generation was the generation that rejected him. Only a few would be saved. Heaven will be filled with believers. God promised Abraham that his seed would be innumerable "as the sand on the seashore." The Revelation says that the saved are a "great number which no man can number."
Romans 5:14 but Paul means to say that they are not held responsible by the law of conscience. There ws not a law in the world from Adam to Moses, men were under the general covenant of grace given to Adam, Noah, and specially with Abraham [CLARKE] Romans 5:20-23

Upvote 0