Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't blame people for being confused about how the masks work. I do blame those who know better and lie about it. Dr. Fauci summed up what was known at the time, and it remains pretty good advice. Some people bad-mouthing him do know better, but hope the rest of us don't.

Don't Panic

Nov 25, 2022
Newfield
✟2,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
I don't blame people for being confused about how the masks work. I do blame those who know better and lie about it. Dr. Fauci summed up what was known at the time, and it remains pretty good advice. Some people bad-mouthing him do know better, but hope the rest of us don't.
reminds me of my time working with aseptic cultures, we caped them with silicone foam. The pores in the foam where way larger than the bacteria we were trying to keep out, but statistically, the probability of a particle getting through the thousands of times the particle diameter was low and so, they worked. Silicone Sponge Closure SKU:2004-00002 - Bellco Glass | Laboratory Glassware Common sense is largely like dirt, it is everywhere but mostly worthless.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Are the far right still going after Faucci and masks??
Beats having to explain why red states who followed right-wing messaging on the pandemic continue to see higher death rates from it.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
reminds me of my time working with aseptic cultures, we caped them with silicone foam. The pores in the foam where way larger than the bacteria we were trying to keep out, but statistically, the probability of a particle getting through the thousands of times the particle diameter was low and so, they worked.
Yes. This is why non-woven materials do a better job when lining woven masks. A tortuous path through the mask makes it much more likely that the microbe will encounter a fiber. I expect that the silicon foam also has random paths that would serve the same purpose.

I once wanted to be a bacteriologist. I have a bachelor's degree in the field. You?

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Turns out, even "drug store masks" are pretty effective at protecting others from people infected with COVID-19. They are somewhat effective at protecting the wearer as well.

If you are wearing a mask and you sneeze or cough, water droplets containing viruses are blocked, reducing risks of high level contamination.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dr. Anthony Fauci couldn’t cite any studies that changed his mind about masking against COVID-19 during a recent deposition, according to lawyers who were in the room.

Fauci, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) director, was among the U.S. officials repeatedly urging people to not wear a mask early in the COVID-19 pandemic unless they were showing symptoms. Among his many public and private statements, he wrote in a Feb. 5, 2020, email that “the typical mask you buy in the drug store is not really effective in keeping out virus, which is small enough to pass through the material.”

About two months later, Fauci and other top officials reversed course and issued widespread masking recommendations, regardless of symptoms.

Asked about the change while under oath on Nov. 23, Fauci couldn’t provide any studies, according to lawyers representing plaintiffs in a case against the federal government.

Here is a study from Stanford Medical showing surgical masks reduce the spread of COVID.
Surgical masks reduce COVID-19 spread, large-scale study shows

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟69,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Of course what's even sadder is that right-wing Christians (TM) who are all about the Bible being right on everything, ignore Leviticus 13

"The person with such an infectious disease must wear torn clothes, let his hair be unkempt, cover the lower part of his face and cry out, `Unclean!'"

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Of course what's even sadder is that right-wing Christians (TM) who are all about the Bible being right on everything, ignore Leviticus 13

"The person with such an infectious disease must wear torn clothes, let his hair be unkempt, cover the lower part of his face and cry out, `Unclean!'"
Funny.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,610.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
In general, I do not have a problem with the NIV - But this needs to be explained.

Leviticus 13:45 And the leper in whom the plague is, his clothes shall be rent, and his head bare, and he shall put a covering upon his upper lip, and shall cry, Unclean, unclean.

To rent or tear your clothing is an expression of sorrow. In the same way, they shave their head to show anguish of the soul with bitter mourning.

The Leper represents sin. Moses had an issue with his sister. She was mocking him and she came down with Leprosy. Moses prayed for her and she did recover.

Also, this was a very highly contagious disease. So people with the disease were obligated to warn others to stay away from them.

I know a pastor who would pray for leper people. He believed God would protect him and he never got sick.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,273.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you have any hard statistics that show that following the CDC's protocols result in more deaths and hospitalizations?

Until then I'll listen to the scientists.

After 2.5 years (and not having taken my third booster yet) I did get COVID after attending a Broadway touring company performance in a crowded theater. My daughter and I both caught it, were sick for about 2-3 days and then recovered rapidly (and I'm 73--a high risk person.)

I am grateful we had our vaccines, and in retrospect we think we probably should have worn masks at the theatre, but hindsight is 20/20.

• Winner
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0