Faith Plus Works

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are looking into another language. The definition of repent fits the usage of every scripture you posted.

1) to change one's mind, i.e. to repent

2) to change one's mind for better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one's past sins"Repentance (metanoia, 'change of mind') involves a turning with contrition from sin to God; the repentant sinner is in the proper condition to accept the divine forgiveness." (F. F. Bruce. The Acts of the Apostles [Greek Text Commentary], London: Tyndale, 1952, p. 97.)

Which verse doesn’t fit this definition?

I will say it one more time. If you don’t give me a word for word commentary on the verses written in the English, we have nothing more to talk about. I showed you clearly in the English that repentance means to seek forgiveness with God. If you don’t believe your English Bible by every word that it says, I cannot help you.

For I follow the Holy Bible (that is holy or divine) and not the holey Bible that has holes or errors within it.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I will say it one more time. If you don’t give me a word for word commentary on the verses written in the English, we have nothing more to talk about. I showed you clearly in the English that repentance means to seek forgiveness with God. If you don’t believe your English Bible by every word that it says, I cannot help you.

Please all I’m asking is to show me which verses don’t fit the definition of metanoia. I’m riding in a very bouncy dump truck right now on my way to a job site and I would like to avoid having to comment on verses that obviously fir the definition. Just please give me your best examples that don’t fit the definition.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please all I’m asking is to show me which verses don’t fit the definition of metanoia. I’m riding in a very bouncy dump truck right now on my way to a job site and I would like to avoid having to comment on verses that obviously fir the definition. Just please give me your best examples that don’t fit the definition.

Please stop referring to the original languages and or a Lexicon and just use your Bible alone for a change. Why? Well, many poor believers in the past who had just a Bible alone did not have Lexicons. Also, James says God chooses the poor of this world to be rich in faith, too. Jesus says to beware of the scribes. The scribes were those who tran-scribed the Law or the Scriptures.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please stop referring to the original languages and or a Lexicon and just use your Bible alone for a change. Why? Well, many poor believers in the past who had just a Bible alone did not have Lexicons. Also, James says God chooses the poor of this world to be rich in faith, too. Jesus says to beware of the scribes. The scribes were those who tran-scribed the Law or the Scriptures.

Yes and that’s probably why the reformation made so many mistakes. The idea was good but their understanding of the scriptures was very incorrect. The Roman church didn’t understand Greek and neither did Martin Luther or John Calvin. Your misinterpretation of James is a prime example. Works cannot play a part in our salvation otherwise grace is not a free and unmerited favor of God. Grace would cease to be grace because we must work to earn it. That’s why when James says Abraham and Rehab were justified by their works he must be referring to the second definition of justified because Paul specifically says that Abraham was justified by his faith and not by his works.

“Abraham was, humanly speaking, the founder of our Jewish nation. What did he discover about being made right with God? If his good deeds had made him acceptable to God, he would have had something to boast about. But that was not God’s way. For the Scriptures tell us, “Abraham believed God, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith.” When people work, their wages are not a gift, but something they have earned. But people are counted as righteous, not because of their work, but because of their faith in God who forgives sinners. David also spoke of this when he described the happiness of those who are declared righteous without working for it: “Oh, what joy for those whose disobedience is forgiven, whose sins are put out of sight. Yes, what joy for those whose record the Lord has cleared of sin.” Now, is this blessing only for the Jews, or is it also for uncircumcised Gentiles? Well, we have been saying that Abraham was counted as righteous by God because of his faith. But how did this happen? Was he counted as righteous only after he was circumcised, or was it before he was circumcised? Clearly, God accepted Abraham before he was circumcised! Circumcision was a sign that Abraham already had faith and that God had already accepted him and declared him to be righteous—even before he was circumcised. So Abraham is the spiritual father of those who have faith but have not been circumcised. They are counted as righteous because of their faith. And Abraham is also the spiritual father of those who have been circumcised, but only if they have the same kind of faith Abraham had before he was circumcised. Clearly, God’s promise to give the whole earth to Abraham and his descendants was based not on his obedience to God’s law, but on a right relationship with God that comes by faith. If God’s promise is only for those who obey the law, then faith is not necessary and the promise is pointless. For the law always brings punishment on those who try to obey it. (The only way to avoid breaking the law is to have no law to break!) So the promise is received by faith. It is given as a free gift. And we are all certain to receive it, whether or not we live according to the law of Moses, if we have faith like Abraham’s. For Abraham is the father of all who believe.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭4:1-16‬ ‭

Abraham was rendered righteous by his faith and shown to be righteous by his works.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is why I am really against a person going to a Bible school. However, God’s Word is taught plainly to us by the Spirit and not by a Lexicon or some Bible school.

Ive never been to a bible school. I do concrete demolition for a living. Never even been to college.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ive never been to a bible school. I do concrete demolition for a living. Never even been to college.

Well, you are approaching the Bible the wrong way. If on any level you read the Bible in the English at any point, you cannot pick and choose out words you prefer to accept or to reject in the Bible by looking in the Greek based upon some made made religious dictionary to understand God’s Word. That is cheating. Either the Bible is your authority or the Lexicon is your authority. It cannot be both. Lexicons are not divinely inspired works of the Lord. The 66 books of the Bible are.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not reading anything you have to say unless you adresss in the English the words in the verses I shown. No Greek please.

I posted Romans 4 in English. Why would you close your eyes to something which might show your in error brother? I am confident that you are a truth seeker and would agree that we must test our beliefs.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, you are approaching the Bible the wrong way. If on any level you read the Bible in the English at any point, you cannot pick and choose out words you prefer to accept or to reject in the Bible by looking in the Greek based upon some made made religious dictionary to understand God’s Word. That is cheating. Either the Bible is your authority or the Lexicon is your authority. It cannot be both. Lexicons are not divinely inspired works of the Lord. The Bible is.

They are both the Bible just one is more accurate than the other. You are reading a filtered version not the original.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They are both the Bible just one is more accurate than the other. You are reading a filtered version not the original.

I disagree. There is no understanding of God’s Word as a cohesive whole in the way that you suggest.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, you are approaching the Bible the wrong way. If on any level you read the Bible in the English at any point, you cannot pick and choose out words you prefer to accept or to reject in the Bible by looking in the Greek based upon some made made religious dictionary to understand God’s Word. That is cheating. Either the Bible is your authority or the Lexicon is your authority. It cannot be both. Lexicons are not divinely inspired works of the Lord. The 66 books of the Bible are.

Surely you must agree that your understanding of Abraham being justified by his works cannot be correct otherwise Romans 4 is incorrect. By your interpretation both cannot be correct. By mine they are.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Surely you must agree that your understanding of Abraham being justified by his works cannot be correct otherwise Romans 4 is incorrect. By your interpretation both cannot be correct. By mine they are.

Is circumcision something of the Old Testament Laws or is it something of the New Testament commands given to us by Jesus and His followers?

I say this because Romans 3:1, Romans 4:9-12, Galatians 2:3, Galatians 5:2, Galatians 6:15, etc. talk about how Paul was fighting against the heresy of "Circumcision Salvationism." Also see Acts of the Apostles 15:1, Acts of the Apostles 15:5, Acts of the Apostles 15:24. So when you read about how Paul talks about the Law, we then realize he is talking about the Old Law (the 613 Laws of Moses) because he is fighting against "Circumcision Salvationism." We know Paul is not speaking about how we are not under the Moral Law or the commands of Christ because he essentially says elsewhere that if a person breaks the Moral Law, they will not inherit the Kingdom of God (See 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Galatians 5:19-21) and he also says that any person who speaks contrary to the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine according to godliness, they are proud and they know nothing (1 Timothy 6:3-4). Are you speaking against the words of Jesus in Matthew 6:15? Are you speaking against the words of Jesus in Matthew 5:28-30? Are you speaking against the words of Jesus in Matthew 12:37? Are you speaking against the words of Jesus in Matthew 25:31-46?

Well, I know by believing 1 Timothy 6:3-4 that If a person were to speak against these words of Jesus, they are proud and they know nothing. James 4:6 says God resists the proud, and he gives grace to the humble. Again, none of these verses make any sense in your belief unless you were to change them in some way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus says,

26 "And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it." (Matthew 7:26-27).

full

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
Noah was naked in his tent and not in public. The Bible only records Noah getting drunk one time and he paid dearly for that sin. Noah is called a preacher of righteousness. You cannot be a preacher of righteousness unless you are living righteously.

While there are men of God who partaken in some serious sins, it was not without repentance and a change of life afterwards.

Besides, we are under a New Covenant that has different commands for His people.

'You cannot be a preacher of righteousness unless you are living righteously.'
We know a righteous person in God's eyes, nevertheless, cannot be perfect in this life.
It's a matter of degree, isn't it - as well as of repentance.

The command to love is more stringent, not less. 'Take up your cross daily, and follow me,' is entailed by true love of God and neighbour. There are a lot of young people today who proudly proclaim that they are as good as in heaven already. They don't have to do/suffer a tap. Jesus has made sure it's 'in the bag'. Apparently, it is a misunderstanding of Calvinism, as well as Christianity more generally. Roger Bacon generalised the matter in these terms : 'The blessing of the Old Testament is prosperity ; the blessing of the New Testament is adversity.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
If I want to do good works and be obedient to Yahweh out of my own choice does it make me a legalist?

Jason, I think Loren is pointing you to Jesus' own words to the effect that we must do or at least strive to do what we are commanded to, yet still recognise that we are 'unprofitable servants'. Everything is from God, isn't it ? Evil is his absence.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
Well, works done out of love and gratitude is the Catholic position as I've demonstrated. Salvation, however, is not achieved by faith alone (James 2:24).

But God is not too proud to stoop to use both 'carrot' and 'stick' to save us from ourselves. Although if Jesus had Jesus wished to attract the 'naked power'-lovers, he could clearly have perfomed his greatest miracles before them regularly, instead of solely (I think) in the raising of Lazarus from the dead.

He checked the wind and the waves (rebuking them !) among only a few of his Apostles, and enabled only Peter, James and John to see him transfigured in the company of Elijah and Moses. There is nothing he could not have done to prove his power, and I guarantee you that Caiaphas, Herod and Pilate would have clamoured to be his best buddies.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
'Abraham was justified by his faith and not by his works.'

Faith in the Christian context implies commitment. It is not mere 'belief' (still less 'credulity'). As James assures us, the devils believe and tremble. We have to understand that, like all the deepest truths, even in physics, the predestination/free will precept is a paradox, a mystery, not expressible as a kind of mathematical formula.

Upvote 0