Evolution becomes theory, theory becomes word (Word becomes guide)

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am interested in what you mean by fulfilled prophecy, brother: that is a strong Word you have put forth!
A prophecy becomes a fulfilled prophecy when that prophecy comes true.

For example we see a prophecy given here ...

1 Kings 13:1 And, behold, there came a man of God out of Judah by the word of the LORD unto Bethel: and Jeroboam stood by the altar to burn incense.
1 Kings 13:2 And he cried against the altar in the word of the LORD, and said, O altar, altar, thus saith the LORD; Behold, a child shall be born unto the house of David, Josiah by name; and upon thee shall he offer the priests of the high places that burn incense upon thee, and men's bones shall be burnt upon thee.

And then we see that prophecy fulfilled 340 years later here ...

2 Kings 23:20 And he slew all the priests of the high places that were there upon the altars, and burned men's bones upon them, and returned to Jerusalem.

As Adam Clarke puts it ...

"This is one of the most remarkable and most singular prophecies in the Old Testament. It here most circumstantially foretells a fact which took place three hundred and forty years after the prediction; a fact which was attested by the two nations. The Jews, in whose behalf this prophecy was delivered, would guard it most sacredly; and it was the interest of the Israelites, against whom it was levelled, to impugn its authenticity and expose its falsehood, had this been possible. This prediction not only showed the knowledge of God, but his power. He gave, as it were, this warning to idolatry, that it might be on its guard, and defend itself against this Josiah whenever a person of that name should be found sitting on the throne of David; and no doubt it was on the alert, and took all prudent measures for its own defence; but all in vain, for Josiah, in the eighteenth year of his reign, literally accomplished this prophecy."

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
The best way to have a lack of confidence in your lineage, is to do consistently smarter,, not provoke those attempting the same to forget their ancestor's way.

In other words, as you contributed AV1611VET, the better way to maintain the future is to prophecy those things which God has ordained to happen, such that others may prophecy with you - which would be the ultimate expression of a meaningful science.

I would have started with your post AV1611VET, but I was so vexed about what would help that I thought it might make sense to consolidate my thoughts first (fortunately, I did not just delete my thoughts, once I had thought them through).

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In other words, as you contributed AV1611VET, the better way to maintain the future is to prophecy those things which God has ordained to happen, such that others may prophecy with you - which would be the ultimate expression of a meaningful science.
That is correct.

God validates His word through prophecy fulfillment.

The power of prophecy is in its coming to pass.

In other words, no matter how hard you try, you can't PREVENT it from coming to pass.

This is Adam Clarke's point.

As far as science is concerned, when the events of Revelation start coming to pass, one of the most spectacular things will be the ORDER in which they come to pass.

Upvote 0

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As far as science is concerned, when the events of Revelation start coming to pass, one of the most spectacular things will be the ORDER in which they come to pass.

Can we get an ETA on that? Your God is really taking his time, isnt't he?

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can we get an ETA on that?
Jesus' arrival will be seven years after the Rapture.
Skreeper said:
Your God is really taking his time, isnt't he?
God works on a timetable.

And what's your rush to see the Antichrist persecute the Jews?

Oh ... that's right ... you're an academian.

Nevermind.

Upvote 0

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Jesus' arrival will be seven years after the Rapture.God works on a timetable.

And what's your rush to see the Antichrist persecute the Jews?

Oh ... that's right ... you're an academian.

Nevermind.

What's the rush? I want front row seats for Armageddon during my lifetime, not after.

Fighting against the army of heaven in the endtimes? Sounds like fun!

• Haha
Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What's the rush? I want front row seats for Armageddon during my lifetime, not after.

Fighting against the army of heaven in the endtimes? Sounds like fun!
Then you don't want Armageddon, chief.

You want the Final Battle.

Revelation 20:7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,
Revelation 20:8 And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.
Revelation 20:9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
I think what I am aiming at is: the possibility that I change so little, I fail to qualify for an Evolution.

Like, there is so little in the way of a stricture to follow for Evolution's sake, that I am not likely to pass the grade for an Evolution - as I have nothing of Evolution to carry out?

My species will not be able to tell that I am gone?

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think what I am aiming at is: the possibility that I change so little, I fail to qualify for an Evolution.

Like, there is so little in the way of a stricture to follow for Evolution's sake, that I am not likely to pass the grade for an Evolution - as I have nothing of Evolution to carry out?

O, we'll be able to tell that you're gone alright...

In any case: species evolve - over many generations - individuals do not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

As I'm sure you have been told many times, individuals don't evolve, populations evolve over many generations.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That is correct.

God validates His word through prophecy fulfillment.

The power of prophecy is in its coming to pass.

In other words, no matter how hard you try, you can't PREVENT it from coming to pass.

This is Adam Clarke's point.

It's easy to make prophecies come to pass when they predict events that are going to happen anyway, when they are so vague that they can be interpreted to fit some event, or when the prophecy was written AFTER the event that is said to have fulfilled it.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A prophecy becomes a fulfilled prophecy when that prophecy comes true.

For example we see a prophecy given here ...

1 Kings 13:1 And, behold, there came a man of God out of Judah by the word of the LORD unto Bethel: and Jeroboam stood by the altar to burn incense.
1 Kings 13:2 And he cried against the altar in the word of the LORD, and said, O altar, altar, thus saith the LORD; Behold, a child shall be born unto the house of David, Josiah by name; and upon thee shall he offer the priests of the high places that burn incense upon thee, and men's bones shall be burnt upon thee.

And then we see that prophecy fulfilled 340 years later here ...

2 Kings 23:20 And he slew all the priests of the high places that were there upon the altars, and burned men's bones upon them, and returned to Jerusalem.

As Adam Clarke puts it ...

"This is one of the most remarkable and most singular prophecies in the Old Testament. It here most circumstantially foretells a fact which took place three hundred and forty years after the prediction; a fact which was attested by the two nations. The Jews, in whose behalf this prophecy was delivered, would guard it most sacredly; and it was the interest of the Israelites, against whom it was levelled, to impugn its authenticity and expose its falsehood, had this been possible. This prediction not only showed the knowledge of God, but his power. He gave, as it were, this warning to idolatry, that it might be on its guard, and defend itself against this Josiah whenever a person of that name should be found sitting on the throne of David; and no doubt it was on the alert, and took all prudent measures for its own defence; but all in vain, for Josiah, in the eighteenth year of his reign, literally accomplished this prophecy."

Whoops.

If you have a look at 1 Kings 13:32, it references the cities of Samaria, a term that wasn't used until after the Assyrians captured that kingdom in 721 BCE. And since the two books of Kings (which were originally one) were compiled after 566 BCE, while Josiah died in 609 BCE, the prophecy was made after the prophesied event, and was, therefore, not a prophecy at all. (Source: New Oxford Annotated Bible, OT:446; Oxford Companion to the Bible, 411)

• Winner
Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
O, we'll be able to tell that you're gone alright...

In any case: species evolve - over many generations - individuals do not.

No, technically: I am an individual, you can't tell how I've evolved?

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Not to take a tangent unnecessarily but I was thinking about Evolution and a question arose in my mind "what is it that Evolution does to be likeable?"

You may not like my choice of word, alternatively it could be "what is it that Evolution does to be liveable?"

The thing the faith does: is give a choice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Technically, you don't seem to be knowing what you are talking about.

Evolution is a process that necessarily happens over generations of populations. As in, a passing by of x amount of generations is a requirement for evolution to take place.

Individuals don't evolve. Populations do. Over generations.

• Winner
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not to take a tangent unnecessarily but I was thinking about Evolution and a question arose in my mind "what is it that Evolution does to be likeable?"

Wheter you "like" a process of nature or not, is an irrelevant personal opinion.

You may not like my choice of word, alternatively it could be "what is it that Evolution does to be liveable?"

I don't understand that question. Evolution isn't an entity that lives. It's a process that happens.

Ok. Not sure what your point is, no clue actually, but ok. I guess.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Yes, you are an individual, and you will not evolve.

But if you had children, and your children had children, and so did they, and so on for many generations, then little by little little changes would appear between the generations.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,883.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

You can't judge the validity of an idea by how likeable it is.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Just to add a thought briefly (I will read your replies in a moment):

What about the Evolutionary importance of "Transference"?

Is it possible you expect your theory of Evolution to be reciprocated? But you haven't theorized it in the way that it can?

Upvote 0