✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);65911051 said:
More than understand.:) There are several differing views on the issue which I've engaged in - I have my inclinations toward the Old Earth Creationist model even though I'm very for the simplicity of anything noting that there is a God who is Love and created the entire world while sending His Son to redeem it later. <snip>

Thanks. :)

I tend to Old Earth Creationist too (though I may not remember what all is advocated with that - but the simplest aspects of my views could be described by those words). But I'm not dogmatic about anything.

And I know the gophers are a little more involved. Didn't want to go too far down a rabbit-trail (gopher trail? ;) ). It was always a topic I was interested in, and got to learn more hands-on when I had a farm up until last year. We were very - self-contained. I didn't use pesticides - I used ducks and other "predators". I didn't use fertilizer - I composted manures and other waste. The grazing of goats and llamas, managed properly, cleared what I wanted cleared and made the plants I wanted to keep healthier. Our patch of desert turned into a park-like setting in a few years. Of course, much of it used dynamics I'm not suggesting for the Garden of Eden.

The biggest problem I see (and at least one person mentioned it here) is how to reconcile "death entered by one man" if evolution is the backdrop.

You can redefine death - death to humans only? Death of the creatures drawn from evolution and made human? Spiritual death?

But if you have evolution, you can't deny death. You can get around death of plants as food in Paradise, imo. But you can't have millions of years of evolution without death of both plants and animals.

So either you have to redefine death, or redefine the parameters (perhaps it was only Eden? Or only mankind? etc.). Or you have to make the Scriptural statement mean something else. Or you have to give up evolution. You can't make them ALL fit, imo.

Redefinition of some form is the easiest way, but I'm not sure it's all that intellectually honest.

And I guess I'm just not that invested in it. Because I DO believe "God created" no matter the means He used. And I do believe we die as a result of sin, no matter the mechanism. I believe God's word is true, and every man a liar if necessary. Scripture need not bow to evolution, no matter how convincing it may seem. I will allow for it, but I won't make it paramount.

I don't think I'm adding to the discussion at this point. Never looked closely into how gorillas, for example, are adapted, btw, but they have sharp teeth and are vegetarians. ;)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thanks. :)

I tend to Old Earth Creationist too (though I may not remember what all is advocated with that - but the simplest aspects of my views could be described by those words). But I'm not dogmatic about anything.

And I know the gophers are a little more involved. Didn't want to go too far down a rabbit-trail (gopher trail? ;) ). It was always a topic I was interested in, and got to learn more hands-on when I had a farm up until last year. We were very - self-contained. I didn't use pesticides - I used ducks and other "predators". I didn't use fertilizer - I composted manures and other waste. The grazing of goats and llamas, managed properly, cleared what I wanted cleared and made the plants I wanted to keep healthier. Our patch of desert turned into a park-like setting in a few years. Of course, much of it used dynamics I'm not suggesting for the Garden of Eden.
Cool to know..
The biggest problem I see (and at least one person mentioned it here) is how to reconcile "death entered by one man" if evolution is the backdrop.

You can redefine death - death to humans only? Death of the creatures drawn from evolution and made human? Spiritual death?

But if you have evolution, you can't deny death. You can get around death of plants as food in Paradise, imo. But you can't have millions of years of evolution without death of both plants and animals.
So either you have to redefine death, or redefine the parameters (perhaps it was only Eden? Or only mankind? etc.). Or you have to make the Scriptural statement mean something else. Or you have to give up evolution. You can't make them ALL fit, imo.

Redefinition of some form is the easiest way, but I'm not sure it's all that intellectually honest.
I can definitely see where you're coming from.

There are, of course, many within Orthodoxy who've spoken on the issue. Specifically, - and thankfully, there are many articles and books by Orthodox Christians who have either accepted and written or spoken on the theory of evolution charitably for what it is.

Breck, Archpriest John V. "Ex Nihilo" Life in Christ, February 2008 #1. Ex nihilo (1) - Orthodox Church in America

Fritts, Kevin Basil, "On the Dogma of Creation" On the Dogma of Creation | Kevin Basil

Hallam, Fr. Gregory, "Orthodoxy and Creationism" Antioch Abouna: Orthodoxy and Creationism

Kalomiros, Dr. Alexandre, "The Six Dawns" http://www.zephyr.gr/stjohn/sixdawn1.htm

Maletis, John P., "Let There Be Light: An Orthodox Christian Theory of Human Evolution for the 21st Century". Theandros Vol. 5 No. 3. Green Smoke Coupon Codes for (10-50% OFF) in Savings at GreenSmoke.com

Mileant, Bishop Alexander of Buenos Aires and South America (ROCOR). The Origins of the World and Mankind: An Attempt to Reconcile the Biblical Account with Scientific Discoveries. Transl. by Karyn and Michael Grigoriev. Ed. by Natalia Semyanko. Holy Trinity Orthodox Mission, La Canada, California, 2004. http://www.orthodoxresearchinstitute.org/articles/patrology/metallinos_faith_and_science.htm

Nicozisin, Fr. George, "Creationism versus Evolution" Creationism Versus Evolution

On what was noted, Evolution was never about denying death - and others have noted that what generally happens (when understanding the argument) is that death has differing levels. Things being made MORTAL in the world (unless one tries to make the argument that even animals themselves were immortal and ate from the Tree of Life as Man did ) is a matter of dealing with how only man had special priveleges.

And that's where the irony lies - people claiming that you can't have evolution and deny death do not realize where death is still present even for others who DO NOT support evolution since the text of scripture from Genesis alone does not say all creatures died when Adam ate the Forbidden Fruit - nor does it say that all the animals in the sea/oceans God made ate herbs and food. The text NEVER advocates such. As said before, the statement given by the Lord to beasts eating plants, if saying it was a commandment forbidding animals from killing, CANNOT apply to all creation....for the creatures of the SEAS/great deep are not included in the command.

Gen. 1:21 says that on the fifth day of creation week God created &#8216;great sea creatures&#8217; (&#8216;great whales&#8217; (KJV) / &#8216;great sea monsters&#8217; (NASB)) along with all the other moving living things in the oceans. (Scholars inform us that in the original Hebrew this would have been their word used to describe specifically a monster, particularly a &#8216;huge marine animal&#8217; or a &#8216;hideous land animal&#8217;.) . The Levitithan/great monstets of the waters and other creatures.....the Bible declares that &#8220;The darkness, the sea, the leviathan ....all good things for which God is praised&#8221; ( Psalm 104:4, Job 41:1-3 / Job 41, Psalm 74:13-15 /Psalm 74 , Isaiah 27:1-3 , etc ).

But the command of Genesis 1 for eating herbs/fruit was given to the LAND-DWELLING animals alone - nothing was ever said of other creatures in differing realms eating meat. Thus, you can't argue for no death according to the text and really be complete.

And it never says Adam and Eve were ever made IMMORTAL from Day One - so you're still dealing with issues of mortality even before anything of evolution comes on the scene.

Thus, people tend to redefine death whenever they assume that no animals or creatures on the planet could die in order to tackle what they see in Romans 5 when it speaks of death entering the world through Adam. The entire story of Romans (especially when seeing Romans 6) was centered on the death that comes from living for self - and the life that comes to living for Christ. And before there were chapters added much later, it was one flowing letter with every chapter building upon itself.

And there's nothing saying St. Paul was speaking of sin in regards to the animals when he was talking on new life for the believers. It all goes back to actually seeing how the Apostles and Jesus defined death to begin with - many noting, in consistency with Matthew 16 on dying to self being the path to life, that the DEATH Adam brought was the death that comes from not dying to self......something Christ changed. But it was not focused on all animals or plants dying since the context never supported that.

Moreover, it is a false scenario claiming evolution only deals with death - if that's the case, that one needs to cease saying mankind was able to grow/develop new skills and technologies as time went on. As said elsewhere,
I think what many tend to struggle with is the concept that believing God to gradually develop things isn't counter to God making something "perfect" - there are stages and process.

Man was made in God's image (not a physical image). So his nature, his psyche and spirit comes from God's breath. Yes, "God formed man of the dust of the ground". The word "formed" implies a process, and we need not see God forming man like we would put together a gingerbread man. "Out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field". The same word "formed" is used and the human body has the physics of the universe in it.

The word formed could refer to cellular ancestry. However, the inbreathing of God clearly refers to man's spiritual nature which separates him decisively from the animals. biologically, man is a type of animal and always has been. To do otherwise would not be logical as many believers in the sciences have always noted, as man doesn't cease being a Mammal (a type of creature/animal) simply because he is made in the Image of God. Moreover, saying that man did not develop in stages doesn't really deal with the Biblical text since Man was not made fully all at once. God first formed man from the dust of the ground (just as He did with the beasts of the field), then he breathed life into Him...and man became a living being. The Image of God was something that God blessed man with upon creation--but it could have easily taken time time.

God made Adam and Eve perfect - yet they were still able to develop/grow in WISDOM and knowledge (no different than Christ in Luke 2 when he grew up in wisdom/understanding gradually). One doesn't assume that man didn't grow over time when the evidence points otherwise - to take dominion over the entire planet, you need to be resourceful. They did not have airplanes, media technology, dams for rivers/lakes, space ships designed to go into space (as well as mathematical formulas for creating the designs and understanding physics of the world), crop rotation and using tools...or boats to travel the seas.....or even making MUSICAL instruments and iron-working (as Genesis 4:20-22). Yet those things were developed in time. We don't say "Man is IMPERFECT" because he creates/develops new skills and abilities over the centuries - that is a process of development....trial and error.

We have to actually be honest with the text if we're going to deal with it on its own terms.

And I guess I'm just not that invested in it. Because I DO believe "God created" no matter the means He used. And I do believe we die as a result of sin, no matter the mechanism. I believe God's word is true, and every man a liar if necessary. Scripture need not bow to evolution, no matter how convincing it may seem. I will allow for it, but I won't make it Weparamount.
Of course - and in the same way one leans that way, others note that scripture need not be pitted against evolution in order to support the Word of God. Others believes we die as a result of sin - but others also believe God's Word also notes where not all forms of death are a result of sin. Thus, one cannot do the "I stand for the Word of God" dynamic as if others are not of the same mindset - what is present is one disagrees on interpretation of God's Word.
I don't think I'm adding to the discussion at this point. Never looked closely into how gorillas, for example, are adapted, btw, but they have sharp teeth and are vegetarians. ;)
Yep - and of course, so do chimps (even though chimps eat meat and other monkeys) AND other species without sharp teeth still prey on others.;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The best way to learn about how the Eastern Orthodox Church believes in the area of evolution is to

a) ask your local priest/bishop/clergy
b) email priests and clergy about it
c) only listen to the views of Eastern Orthodox Christians in this forum on the matter, not Protestants, Catholics, Coptic/Orientals, or any other group as they are not in communion with the Holy Orthodox Church
d) read solid Orthodox websites to find the general view
e) better yet: read the Fathers on Creation/Genesis and the views from Orthodox clergy over the past 100 years

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);65907415 said:
Hi Dorothea..:)

Thanks for letting me know - it is my hope that what's shared here will make more sense for you on the matter and seem more clarified. I am glad we're on the same page with the dynamic of spiritual death. Yes, Physical death in other forms certainly did enter - but the primary focus was on the spirit and man's relationship to God. However, to be clear, I recall where it was the Tree of Life which the Lord prevented man from partaking of - for after he ate of the Tree of Knowledge of Good/Evil, he became aware/self-autonomous and distant from the Lord. Knowing things ahead of time he should not have known outside of God teaching him...

Genesis 2:17

Life in God&#8217;s Garden
8 The Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden, and there He put the man whom He had formed. 9 And out of the ground the Lord God made every tree grow that is pleasant to the sight and good for food. The tree of life was also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

....15 Then the Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it. 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, &#8220;Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; ...but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.&#8221;​
Right. Both Trees were in the Garden.

God doesn't seem afraid of man eating the Tree of the Knowledge of Good/Evil. However, he does seem VERY concerned with them accessing the Tree of Life:

[COLOR="ENT][U][I][B]Genesis 3:22[/B][/I][/U]
22 Then the Lord God said, &#8220;Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the [B][I][U]tree of life[/U][/I][/B], [U][I][B]and eat, and live forever[/B][/I][/U]&#8221;&#8212; 23 therefore the Lord God sent him out of the garden of Eden to till the ground from which he was taken. 24 So He drove out the man; and He placed cherubim at the east of the garden of Eden, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to guard the way to the tree of life. [/COLOR][/INDENT]
[/COLOR]
As seen in Genesis 3, there were severe consequences for eating of the Tree of Life---not many times (as in habit)...but only ONCE, as if when eating of that tree, it was a done deal/man became truly immortal. For if man had been eating of the Tree of Life continually, then it'd seem odd that somehow to think that it had yet to make them immortal---with them continually having to keep eating it and later having the effects wear off in time till they had their next session of eating from the Tree. [/quote]
The way I understand it is that God warned them not to eat of the Tree of Good and Evil at that time because they were not spiritually mature enough to partake. If they had obeyed Him, He would have allowed them to partake of it later on, (don't know how that works in the Garden....if that's in God's Time or if that level of the Garden since it's not really in Heaven (where God resides), they are in some linear time? Interesting to think about. The Tree of Knowledge seems to have been more about eternal life. Yes, I agree with you on that. But having read over the Animals and Man book while reading over what I typed, I see the answer is the free will choice. Yes, makes sense.

[quote]It seems that in Genesis 3, there's an indicator that the fruit was so strong that once one ate of it ONE TIME, that'd be it......................immortality for all seasons/reasons.

IMHO, the Tree of Life couldn't of been available to man to eat of since the day he was in the Garden (unless, of course, like all trees that one took extensive time to grow/develop until it was ripe for eating).

It seems reasonable to think the Tree of Life was something that was intended to be given to Him later on/seal him into immortality within the state of perfection he was developed into. Tree of Life was something special that both God and the Enemy knew of-------and that as man grew up, that tree would a reward..........much like a teenager with his father going out to buy his own car due to his development/maturity, even though prior to that transportation was given to the indiviudal since he was a child (for his own safety) before he grew into adulthood. [/quote]
The reward of reaching spiritual maturity and wisdom I would think, and being even more in union with God.

[quote]And that same tree is present later on in Revelation:

[COLOR="DarkRed"]
Revelation 22
[ The River of Life ] And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding from the throne of God and of the Lamb. In the middle of its street, and on either side of the river, was the tree of life, which bore twelve fruits, each tree yielding its fruit every month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. And there shall be no more curse, but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it, and His servants shall serve Him. ...​

Interesting. I just looked up the footnotes in my OSB to see what it had to say about that passage. Here's the explanation:

22:2, 3 The tree of life, a symbol of Christ Himself, gives immortality. It fulfills the tree of life in Paradise (Gen. 3:22) and the other tree of life, the Cross of the Savior, the tree of obedience (1 Pt. 2:24), a tree of curse (Gal. 3:13). But there is no more curse (v. 3) in the Holy City: a reversal of the curse of Gen. 3:16-19. The fruits and leaves of the tree are completely and universally therapeutic, reversing the effects of the fruit of the tree of disobedience (Gen. 3:16).

It's explained there that the Tree of Good and Evil is the tree of disobedience. Interesting.

Revelation 22:14-15
Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city. 15 But outside are dogs and sorcerers and sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.
Some of what I'm thinking of goes into the concept of Theosis--the process of growing in relationship with the Lord/becoming like him. And reading this in Lossky he states:

&#8220;Can one say that Adam, in his paradisaical condition, was really immortal? &#8216;God did not create death,&#8217; says the book of Wisdom. For archaic theology&#8211;St. Irenaeus for example&#8211;Adam was neither necessarily mortal nor necessarily immortal: his nature, rich in possibilities, malleable, could be constantly nourished by grace & transformed by it to the point of surmounting all the risks of aging & death. The possibilities of mortality existed but in order to be made impossible. Such was the test of Adam&#8217;s freedom. The tree of life at the center paradise & its nourishing of immortality offered therefore a possibility: thus our Christo-ecclesiastical realities, the Eucharist, which heals us, nourishes & fortifies us, spiritually & bodily. One must feed oneself with God to attain freely deification. And it is this personal effort that Adam failed.&#8221; (Orthodox Theology: An Introduction, pp77-78)​

Sounds good to me.

I hope this makes sense...

I can understand where you're coming from. As an aside, it is interesting to consider how Origen thought that souls were created before bodies and were put in bodies as a punishment for earlier sin, which didn't mean that bodies were bad, necessarily, but did mean that souls didn't need bodies and so the body wasn't seen as intrinsic to human nature.
That sounds off... Not sure about that. Need to check up on some stuff on that, but it doesn't sound right.

On the issue, Clement of Alexandria and Theodore of Mopseustia held that human death was part of God&#8217;s plan before the Fall - in addition to holding the mindset that Adam was created immortal from day one as a part of his nature.
I don't believe God created man for death or to die. I believe He knew all that would happen before the beginning of the world, but that doesn't mean that was His intention. That was the acts of free will of his created beings.

I went to go get my Animals and Man book since it talks lots about the creation and Genesis and the soul, etc. When you said above about the soul was created first and then the body, were you meaning something like what is mentioned here in the book:

Man is composed of body and soul. The earthly body is visible and destructible, the soul invisible and indestructible. Man was created to be a liaison between the angelic, spiritual realm and the earthly, material realm.

God created first the invisible world and then the visible one "in order to reveal the greater wisdom and the manifold purpose of nature." (St. Gregory the Theologian)

To me, that's talking about the fact that God created the angelic beings before the human beings.

Btw, I found the next sentence interesting as well:

According to St. Caesarius, the brother of St. Gregory the Theologian, Adam was forty days in Paradise.

Fascinating.

It says further:

God created only man in "His image." What is the image of God? It is the direct reflection of all God's attributes. Man bears the image of God in the highest qualities of the soul, such as the soul's immortality, freedom of will, reason, the capacity for pure love, and spiritual power.

While according to physical ability man is among the weakest of the creatures in the universe, only he has the gift of a spiritual nature. Man's soul is immortal not by its nature, but by the Grace of God.

Man's physical body was created to serve his spiritual life. It is the temple of the Holy Spirit. Thus, the body participates in all the life-giving energies of Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Had to break up the two posts:

G said:
Theodore notes in his treatise Against Those Who Assert That Men Sin by Nature and Not by Will:

Whether God did not know that Adam was going to sin: this should be the response for these exceedingly wise men, that it is most insane even to consider this notion. It is obvious that [God] knew he was going to sin, and that on account of this he would, without a doubt, die. How then is it not suggestive of extreme madness to believe that first [God] made him immortal, for six hours, &#8230; but appointed him to be mortal after the sin? Because it is certain that if [God] had wanted him to be immortal, not even the intervention of the act of sin would have changed the divine decree, for God did not reduce the devil from immortality to mortality, and he was the originator of all evils!​

To be clear, this argument by no means surrenders the foundational theological principle that death is a punishment for sin, but on the contrary, it assumes it. What it tries to safeguard, however, is divine sovereignty: for if God had created Adam immortal, Theodore argues, he should have remained immortal even in his post-lapsarian state, forever under the punishment of death, with no possibility of redemption&#8212;just like the devil. Essentially, what is on the line is not just Adam&#8217;s ontological transformation, but God&#8217;s justice and sovereignty as well. It was in God&#8217;s justice that death is the appropriate punishment for Adam&#8217;s sin and also the means of deliverance.
Adam is immortal as long as He is obedient to God is my understanding. But here's another excerpt from Animals and Man on this:

When God breathed upon Adam, Adam's soul was given life-giving power over his body, thus uniting God with man and the spiritual realm. Adam was created as the crown of God's creation--sinless, passionless, and holy. But his nature was created alterable, and only with God's help could he stay steadfast in the Lord.

It also says this about the Tree of Good and Evil:

God gave Adam the commandment to not eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil so that he might know that he was alterable and changeable, and might freely choose to live in a divine state. God gave Adam and Eve everything inside and outside Paradise through grace, requiring nothing in return either for His creation of them or for the glory in which He clothed them.

Here it continues with a written quote from Fr. Michael Pomazansky from his book Orthodox Dogmatic Theology:

Man was created immortal in his soul, and he could have remained immortal also in body if he had not fallen away from God. The Wisdom of Solomon says: God did not make death (Wis. 1:13). man's body, as was well expressed by Blessed Augustine, does not possess the "impossibility of dying," but it did possess "the possibility of not dying," which it has now lost. The writer of Genesis informs us that this "possibility of not dying" was maintained in Paradise by eating the fruit of the Tree of Life, of which our first ancestors were deprived after they were banished from Paradise.

There is where we talked about the Tree of Life being about eternal life.

As said best elsewhere, Mortality is at once the consequence of sin and an aspect of humanity&#8217;s original state.

As stated by Theodore of Mopsuestia on the need for death:

God did not place death upon man either unwillingly or against his better judgment, neither did he provide access to sin for no good purpose; for he was able, if he did not wish this to be so, to do otherwise. But he knew it was beneficial for us, nay more, for all rational creatures, at first to have access to evils and inferior things, and thereafter for these to be blotted out and better things introduced.

Therefore God divided the creation into two states, the present and the future. In the latter he will bring all to immortality and immutability. In the former he gives us over to death and mutability. For if he had made us at first immortal and immutable, we should not have differed from irrational animals, who do not understand the peculiar characteristics by which they are distinguished.

Augustine held views similar to that:

"God, who is supremely good in his creation of natures that are good, is also completely just in his employment of evil choices in his design, so that whereas such evil choices make a wrong use of good natures, God turns evil choices to good use. . . . Evil things are allowed to exist in order to show how the righteousness and foreknowledge of the Creator can turn even those very evils to good account."

City of God 11.17; 14.11.

On the issue, holding the view that Adam and Eve were created mortal and were to become immortal after a period of probation in the garden was held by Theophilus of Antioch, Second Century Bishop (more shared in CHAPTER XXVII.&#8212;THE NATURE OF MAN. from Fathers of the Second Century and here and here). He felt that we were created neither mortal or immortal ...

As he said:

CHAP. XXVII.--THE NATURE OF MAN.

"But some one will say to us, Was man made by nature mortal? Certainly not. Was he, then, immortal? Neither do we affirm this. But one will say, Was he, then, nothing? Not even this hits the mark. He was by nature neither mortal nor immortal. For if He had made him immortal from the beginning, He would have made him God. Again, if He had made him mortal, God would seem to be the cause of his death. Neither, then, immortal nor yet mortal did He make him, but, as we have said above, capable of both; so that if he should incline to the things of immortality, keeping the commandment of God, he should receive as reward from Him immortality, and should become God; but if, on the other hand, he should turn to the things of death, disobeying God, he should himself be the cause of death to himself. For God made man free, and with power over himself. That, then, which man brought upon himself through carelessness and disobedience, this God now vouchsafes to him as a gift through His own philanthropy and pity, when men obey Him. For as man, disobeying, drew death upon himself; so, obeying the will of God, he who desires is able to procure for himself life everlasting.

To Autolycus, Book II

Augustine held to a variation of this view in which the bodies of Adam and Eve, though created mortal, were preserved from decay and lustful desires by being able to feed on the Tree of Life. Exclusion from the Tree of Life after the Fall therefore resulted in human death. Had Adam and Eve not fallen they would have received what we know as resurrection bodies.

I think the reason why God gave Adam and Eve choices has to do with the gift of free will all humans (and angels) have to choose God or not. That way, a human freely chooses to love Him.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
St. Basil, On the Origin of Man 2:6-7
‘Nevertheless, these beings, submitting to the law of natures, were nourished by fruits. But when man changed his way of life and departed from the limit which had been assigned him, the Lord, after the Flood, knowing that men were wasteful, allowed them the use of all foods; “eat all that in the same was as edible plants” (Gen. 9:3). By this allowance, the other animals also received the liberty to eat them.

‘Since then the lion is a carnivore, since then also vultures watch for carrion. For the vultures were not yet looking over the earth at the very moment when the animals were born; in fact, nothing of what had received designation or existence had yet died so that the vultures might eat them. Nature had not yet divided, for it was all in its freshness: hunters did not capture, for such was not yet the practice of men; the beasts, for their part, did not yet tear their prey, for they were not carnivores … But all followed the way of the swans, and all grazed on the grass of the meadow …
I agree with all of that, except I hadn't heard of this eating of animals and animals eating animals not happening until after the Flood?

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Gxg (G²);65910102 said:
Flintstones would be amazing to see in reality with dinosaurs and man living together. I don't think it's impossible - especially when considering how not all dinosaurs lived at the same time and others which did die out early on were not the same as those living in the era of man like other prehistoric creatures like the Haast Eagle, Megalania, Giant Snakes and other creatures.
Yes, it seems possible to me, too.

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
The best way to learn about how the Eastern Orthodox Church believes in the area of evolution is to

a) ask your local priest/bishop/clergy
b) email priests and clergy about it
c) only listen to the views of Eastern Orthodox Christians in this forum on the matter, not Protestants, Catholics, Coptic/Orientals, or any other group as they are not in communion with the Holy Orthodox Church
d) read solid Orthodox websites to find the general view
e) better yet: read the Fathers on Creation/Genesis and the views from Orthodox clergy over the past 100 years
I couldn't agree more.

Upvote 0

Columba7

Apr 7, 2014
✟15,249.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is wonderful for someone to find out what their faith teaches on evolution, but if they don't look into evolutionary theories themselves they are doing themselves a disservice.

If a Mormon is taught that the ancestors of the Native Americans were Middle Easterners who established a grand Jewish New World civilization should the Mormon disregard genetic and archaeological evidence simply because it challenges their faith? As painful as it may be for some people maybe they need to acknowledge that evolution might be true, and this may require them to reassess their Christian faith. Now, I'm not claiming that evolution is or isn't true, but only that something shouldn't be dismissed solely because it contradicts whatever ideological paradigm you happen to hold. Such behavior would be intellectually dishonest.

Again, this is why I think it would be more interesting to consider evolutionary theories themselves apart from what the church teaches. Maybe we can actually find some philosophical or methodological issues with said theories.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I recommend looking at the articles listed in the orthodoxwiki article on Evolution. They are written by and for Orthodox Christians and have plenty of patristic work on both sides - I particularly recommend the Bouteneff and Fr Pat Reardon books.

As for understanding evolution itself, I highly recommend doing so. There are a number of books on amazon or a similar service explaining evolution. Read one of the ones by actual scientists as a textbook.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sure, he might, but is that how a person ought to behave?

I would say yes. a person who picks and chooses when their faith is dogmatically sound and when it can be fudged is pagan, because his God is himself. the Mormon God in your post is only followed when the Mormon deems it. so the Mormon is the one who is really at the top.

Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sure, he might, but is that how a person ought to behave?

What Matt said.

The problem is that you have faith mostly not in what you yourself have seen, but in what others tell you that somebody has seen, and from there accept their conclusions with only superficial questioning.

Even if you ARE a professional scientist this is so. Most scientists accept the dogmas they were taught in school without having themselves gone through every step of every process and thought through every conclusion. True, experimentation is generally done in good science classes, but that hardly adds up to completely going through all processes, stages and levels - the only way to be able to say that one is NOT acting on faith in others, and a thing that quickly becomes impossible, anyway.

In short, either you have done literally EVERYTHING yourself (not possible), or you have faith in others. Ergo, you are offering us faith in other human beings (alone) INSTEAD of human beings who admittedly sought the guidance of the Holy Spirit (and whom we believe the Holy Spirit actually guided).

Upvote 0

Columba7

Apr 7, 2014
✟15,249.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What Matt said.

The problem is that you have faith mostly not in what you yourself have seen, but in what others tell you that somebody has seen, and from there accept their conclusions with only superficial questioning.
You reach this conclusion solely because I said people should consider the veracity of ideologies that may or may not conflict with their own?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What Matt said.

Even if you ARE a professional scientist this is so. Most scientists accept the dogmas they were taught in school without having themselves gone through every step of every process and thought through every conclusion. True, experimentation is generally done in good science classes, but that hardly adds up to completely going through all processes, stages and levels - the only way to be able to say that one is NOT acting on faith in others, and a thing that quickly becomes impossible, anyway.

In short, either you have done literally EVERYTHING yourself (not possible), or you have faith in others. Ergo, you are offering us faith in other human beings (alone) INSTEAD of human beings who admittedly sought the guidance of the Holy Spirit (and whom we believe the Holy Spirit actually guided).

Very true and well said.

When one is going through an education, there is generally only enough time to try to memorize everything handed to you. There isn't time enough to examine it, even if one had the equipment and expertise necessary to do so.

By the time you finish your degrees, you're too invested to WANT to disprove it. It costs a lot to toss out everything you've worked for up to that point.

The other alternative is what I did, to attempt to better prove it. I found out that wasn't actually possible, which led to questioning.

I'm not anti-science. Evolution MAY even be true, and perhaps only includes a few errors. But I am willing to accept there may be larger errors as well. I'm just no longer invested in proving or disproving it. I got just far enough along that I no longer need submit to it.

But no, scientists routinely accept a LOT of background information in the process of education, and then the work that proceeds out of that doesn't usually try to reinvent the wheel either.

Some sciences are much less likely to fall into this trap, but evolutionary science is one of the more inclined to these situations, since nothing in it can be replicated anyway, and that's not the angle they are coming from.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Best post I've read all day

What Matt said.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"In short, either you have done literally EVERYTHING yourself (not possible), or you have faith in others. Ergo, you are offering us faith in other human beings (alone) INSTEAD of human beings who admittedly sought the guidance of the Holy Spirit (and whom we believe the Holy Spirit actually guided)."

That could be said about you too Rus. Again, this is coming across as judgmental and its indicating a very thorough lack of understanding and appreciation of the scientific research process.

You simply don't know us, what we've been through, what short guidence we've taken, etc. because you are interacting with us via a computer screen and typing pixels. Sorry, but I cannot and will not accept what you said in your last comment as having any validity.

You are coming across as if you are saying that you're the one that's got it all together spiritually because you have the proper understanding of Orthodoxy. If anyone opens their minds to the possibility that some aspects of evolution might be true then they are not as Orthodox as you are.

Interesting that some here reject macro evolution but admitted they accept microevolution. That's inconsistent because both macro and micro evolution requires the death of the organism.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You reach this conclusion solely because I said people should consider the veracity of ideologies that may or may not conflict with their own?

oh I think you can consider and think about them. we are not talking about removing critical thinking. but, when you encounter the living God and come to know Him, certain things follow.

Upvote 0