• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Featured Eating swine & other unclean animals is a work of the flesh

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Dkh587, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dkh587

Dkh587 David דויד Supporter

+955
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    This thread is not about salvation - it's about a work of the flesh: eating unclean animals.

If you've been eating unclean animals all your life, and you are shown that it is a work of the flesh to do so, all you have to do is repent and stop eating them. Problem solved.

Just like if a man or woman was a homosexual their whole life, and they were shown in the word of God where homosexuality is abominable to God(just like eating unclean animals), the choice is theirs to repent and stop, or keep doing it...

Uncleanness is one of many things that keeps people out of the Kingdom. It's not that hard to stop eating unclean animals. Shouldn't we stay away from the works of the flesh?

2. stuart lawrence

stuart lawrence Well-Known Member

+1,581
    Christian
    Single
    Strange isn't it:

But now, by dying to what once bound us we have been released from the law, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not the old way of the written code
    Rom7:6

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+6,058
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Couldn't the grace of God through our faith in Jesus Christ and His death on the cross and resurrection for our sin nature overcome the fact that we eat an unclean animal?

4. Handmaid for Jesus

Handmaid for Jesus You can't steal my joy Supporter

+27,483
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
    Jesus said it best. That verse has already been posted.
    1John 1:
    7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

See, the blood of Jesus cleanses us of sin, so anything we eat in faith with thanksgiving is ok.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Anguspure

Anguspure Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ Supporter

+1,725
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Single
    Here is a question that you might be able to answer: What is it that makes the unclean animals, unclean. Why did God tell us that these animals are unclean and others are not?

6. GeorgeJ

GeorgeJ <Insert Custom Title Here>

+1,517
    United States
    Deist
    Married
    It's the height of ridiculousness when folks start trying to force their own skewed interpretation of the bible down peoples throats by threatening eternal damnation or not being able to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Wife's making stuffed pork chops tonight....have fun...

7. Dkh587

+955
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Yes, God's grace could, but God doesn't want us eating unclean animals, so to what extent does His grace cover us if we find out that eating unclean animals is a work of the flesh and we keep insisting on eating pork?

8. devin553344

devin553344 I believe in the Resurrection

+2,191
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I thought the issue of clean and unclean animals was about diseases that they could cause to your body, and ham can clog the arteries, but I don't mind, can't live forever :)

9. Dkh587

+955
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    The blood of Jesus does not make pigs clean, no matter how much faith & thanksgiving you have for the pig.

Eating unclean animals is a work of the flesh. Faith and thanksgiving doesn't change that.

10. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+6,058
    Non-Denom
    Single
    It's the reason I consider myself to be non-denominational. It seems like different denominations focus too much on a particular thing and then raise it up in importance. It could be about getting baptized--how to do it, when to do it, importance to salvation, etc.

Or it could be the day your get together with like-minded people to worship God. Some think it's Sunday, others say Saturday, and then claim that so many people will not enter the kingdom of God because they worship on Sunday instead of Saturday.

Of course, there are others that focus on the foods we eat as we are seeing here. But the whole point of the bible, from OT to NT, is to point to Christ coming and making His sacrifice for us. We shouldn't get so hung up on days, foods, or methods.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. salt-n-light

salt-n-light Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,433
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate

Listen, Paul talked about how it doesn't make your body anymore or less defiled to God if you are eating any meat (1 Corinthians 8:7-8) and to Timothy about how the church will try to make a law out of eating unclean meats (1 Timothy 4:1-5). I don't even think any of the new testament verses you mentioned addressed it, and you're using the old testament verses without considering context.

You can make a case that yes, a lot of the manipulation of food going on will affect your body. But telling people that it affects our stand with Him, when the Word is telling us that it doesn't, is deceiving. Stop it.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. Dkh587

+955
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I'm not exactly sure. He just said that they are clean & unclean. And that eating the unclean animals is abominable to him, and that they defile us, and that they make us unclean. For some people, that's a good enough reason. For others, not so much.

Paul later revealed that uncleanness is a work of the flesh. And one way to make yourself unclean is to eat unclean animals.

Does God have to give a reason?

13. LittleLambofJesus

LittleLambofJesus Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git! Supporter

+28,466
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    You have already repeated that same thing dozens of times on this thread.......you are not going to change anyone's mind here concerning food.....
    Don't you have any other topics that you can discuss?

[​IMG]

AMEN!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. Phil 1:21

Phil 1:21 Well-Known Member

+4,328
    Christian
    Married
    Don't stuff them with shellfish and eat them while listening to Christian Metal music and wearing a Halloween mask. That's the trifecta of damnation.

:ahem:<- the fires of Hades are making him sweat.

15. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+6,058
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Why didn't Jesus spend more of His time teaching the people about what foods to eat rather than going on and on about love, forgiveness, patience, and things like that?

16. stuart lawrence

stuart lawrence Well-Known Member

+1,581
    Christian
    Single
    Don't ask him that! He's got hundreds of laws he can choose from!

17. Instrument150

Instrument150 Active Member

+157
    United States
    Messianic
    Widowed
    That's what I think. Because are nature hasn't been changed yet, or as soon as Jesus died on the cross, everyone who was "called" to him would have just been born sinless too and remained that way forever. I DON'T EAT PORK or anything else that is unclean, except on some occasions where it's the only thing around. Like on the pepperoni pizza i had last night that my friend brought over.

And if it's not about salvation .... does not inheriting the kingdom of God consist of exactly what you get from salvation? Or is the power of sin so strong, that it can overcome Jesus's sacrifice? Am I to be saved, and then go to hell?

I don't think I am under any of those bonds of the flesh particularly speaking, until you think smaller and smaller on some of them like idolatry, where the pursuit of money takes up so much of my time and energy.

If I eat pork, I don't feel guilty. If I don't eat pork, I feel like I did something a little bonus for my spiritual awareness and health. And I don't like getting drunk anymore but I do not feel guilty when I'm walking around with a light buzz. As a matter of fact, I have had some of my most profound spiritual revelations in Christ while under the influence of mind altering substances. Of course, when I do this the verse always come to mind Isaiah 5:11

Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!

So I keep myself in check. Am I wrong?

18. Dkh587

+955
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Well, you are certainly welcome to leave the thread and stop participating if it bothers you so much.

And yes, I do. I have another coming soon.

Stay tuned! :)

19. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+6,058
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Do you believe in the blood of Jesus Christ to make us clean?

20. Dkh587

+955
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Who said anything about eternal damnation? I haven't questioned anybody's salvation in here.

Paul warned against the works of the flesh, which include eating unclean animals. Like I said earlier, there are MORE works of the flesh than eating unclean animals, but that's 1 of them...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.