Earth's earliest forest: fossilized trees and vegetation-induced sedimentary structures from the Middle Devonian

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,930.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Fossilized trees discovered by chance in southwest England belong to Earth's earliest-known forest, new research has found. The 390 million-year-old fossils supplant the Gilboa fossil forest in New York state, which dates back 386 million years, as the world's oldest known forest."

Fossilized forest unearthed in the UK is the oldest ever found at 390 million years old

https://geolsoc.figshare.com/collections/Earth_s_earliest_forest_fossilized_trees_and_vegetation-
Here in Australia in 1994 a species of tree believed to be extinct for millions of years, the Wollemi pine was discovered.
It has remained relatively unchanged since it first appeared in Jurassic times 200 million years ago.
It is classified as critically endangered (CR) on the IUCN’s Red List.

I've been investigating whether this living fossil is capable of being propagated from seeds on my property.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But the monster roos will surely eat them to extinction on your property .. (?)
I've noticed over the years kangaroos being grazing animals don't like to reside in long grass.
I have reserved a section of my 10 acre property for growing trees from seed well away from the prying eyes of the long grass and weed* police and have a 100% success rate in avoiding the destruction left by kangaroos and other pests such as rabbits.

In exposed areas kangaroos had this nasty habit of tearing off the plastic barriers which protected the saplings from rabbits and stomped over the saplings in fits of mindless aggression.
Long grass is the place for growing Wollemi pines.

* Weed in this case refers to the non illicit kind.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,112.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
"Fossilized trees discovered by chance in southwest England belong to Earth's earliest-known forest, new research has found. The 390 million-year-old fossils supplant the Gilboa fossil forest in New York state, which dates back 386 million years, as the world's oldest known forest."

Fossilized forest unearthed in the UK is the oldest ever found at 390 million years old

https://geolsoc.figshare.com/collections/Earth_s_earliest_forest_fossilized_trees_and_vegetation-
Somehow fitting that this ancient Devonian forest should be found in the very locale that gave the Devonian its name.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,301.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Here in Australia in 1994 a species of tree believed to be extinct for millions of years, the Wollemi pine was discovered.
It has remained relatively unchanged since it first appeared in Jurassic times 200 million years ago.
It is classified as critically endangered (CR) on the IUCN’s Red List.

I've been investigating whether this living fossil is capable of being propagated from seeds on my property.
The long- extinct ( elsewhere) ginko tree was
" discovered " alive in China by westenrers.

Upvote 0