Christchurch
✟3,275.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
There is no questioning of the authority of scripture in my church. But the authority of scripture derives from its divine inspiration, not from any particular literary genre imposed on it. Literal inerrancy doesn't add any authority to scripture. If anything, it makes it more difficult to sustain.
I can't progress any further with this line of discussion because would mean that I would end up preaching Christianity which is not permitted in this forum.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I can't progress any further with this line of discussion because would mean that I would end up preaching Christianity which is not permitted in this forum.
Yes. That you think you have to preach to another Christian ought to give you pause. It wouldn't be the Gospel, and why would you need to preach anything else?

Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Me, too. I was raised (and still am) an Anglican and attended Catholic schools through college, and didn't come across literal inerrancy until well into adulthood. My response was, "They believe what??? about the Bible? Why?" I still don't know why.
Me, too. I didn't even realize that YECs still existed until I moved to a fundamentalist evangelical Christian part of Michigan. The whole reason I became involved in this whole evolution/creationism "debate" was because some local megachurch people were running for the local school board on the platform that they were going to get evolution out of the schools and creationism in. They were soundly defeated (and brought up on voter fraud charges) but it was still a shock to realize creationists still existed.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟927,129.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Becoming familiar with ancient Greek religions would be informative too because they were evolutionist.
Not really. Prometheus and Athena crafted humans out of mud, much like the creation of Adam in Genesis.

Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Becoming familiar with ancient Greek religions would be informative too because they were evolutionist.
You will have to explain to me how Greek mythology (Zeus, Hera, Ares, Hercules, etc.) would be informative on the Theory of Evolution.

Upvote 0

Paul James

Apr 14, 2020
Christchurch
✟3,275.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You will have to explain to me how Greek mythology (Zeus, Hera, Ares, Hercules, etc.) would be informative on the Theory of Evolution.
You'll have to answer that one yourself, because I'm done here.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟927,129.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
You'll have to answer that one yourself, because I'm done here.
That feels like a very rude reaction.

You proposed the link between evolution and Greek mythology, then when people were confused (due to Greek mythology proposing a variation on creation) you abandon the conversation.

Can you at least explain why you think the two concepts are related?

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

Paul James

Apr 14, 2020
Christchurch
✟3,275.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That feels like a very rude reaction.

You proposed the link between evolution and Greek mythology, then when people were confused (due to Greek mythology proposing a variation on creation) you abandon the conversation.

Can you at least explain why you think the two concepts are related?
Not rude at all. Just taking myself back to the Christian only forums.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Not rude at all. Just taking myself back to the Christian only forums.
Good for you. I'm not welcome there; I don't believe the "right stuff" about Genesis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,170.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Maybe because there was lots of god/human action that resulted in demigods. That's a kind of evolution, right?

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,269.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I disagree. Fair debate is not a sign of disrespect. I believe that, in the main, evolution scientists are sincere in their conclusions based on their interpretation of the evidence. I think that the accusation of "disrespect" comes from an intolerance toward anyone who puts a Christian creationist opinion forward as an alternative to the evolutionist view.
Nonsense. The disrespect comes from your unjustified arrogance in thinking your uninformed, ignorant opinion concerning a fossil, deserves the same attention as the educated, informed, validated view of an expert in the field who has devoted his life to the subject. If you are unable to see that, there is nothing more to be said.

Upvote 0

Paul James

Apr 14, 2020
Christchurch
✟3,275.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Nonsense. The disrespect comes from your unjustified arrogance in thinking your uninformed, ignorant opinion concerning a fossil, deserves the same attention as the educated, informed, validated view of an expert in the field who has devoted his life to the subject. If you are unable to see that, there is nothing more to be said.
I don't tolerate personal abuse. Have a nice life. Bye.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I don't tolerate personal abuse. Have a nice life. Bye.
You are overly sensitive. You have been very rude in these threads and then properly criticized for rudeness and ignorance. Complaining about that is rather hypocritical. An apology and a promise to try to do better would have been appropriate on your part.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Not really. Prometheus and Athena crafted humans out of mud, much like the creation of Adam in Genesis.
I guess that’s why Prometheus is like unto Enki (my all time favourite god).

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
Not so much the Greek religions - but some Ancient Greek philosophers had evolutionary ideas e.g. Anaximander, Empedocles, and Lucretius [a Roman Epicurean].

• Informative
Reactions: Paul James
Upvote 0