Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm pretty sure that a good lawyer would put not an inconsiderable amount of time into considering what sort of person they will be representing. That's why Trump ends up with the clowns that he has.
He seems to want his lawyers to work the cameras. He seems more interested in the court of public opinion rather than the justice system. Maybe he has a plan for insurrection 2.0.
I'm sure if he is the Republican candidate and loses the election he will claim wide spread voter fraud and will be doing all he can to get Republican election officials to flip the outcome.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Now we've learned that her lawyer knew the judge...possibly quite closely in a mentor/mentee relationship which wasn't disclosed.

Don't be surprised if it's all thrown out on appeal.
This just in...

While it is true that Attorney Roberta Kaplan and Judge Lewis Kaplan (no relation) worked at the same law firm for less than two years, 30 years ago, they never actually met or interacted at all during that brief period. So there was no "mentor/mentee relationship" whatsoever.

Habba heard this from some anonymous source, and never tried to verify it before throwing it out there.

-- A2SG, so much for that....

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The best way to appeal this lawsuit will be on the grounds that the defense lawyers were refused by the judge to allow evidence from the defense team to be adequately heard and considered by the jury.
I am thinking that Trump should hire a better lawyer before the appeal is considered and judged in court.
If only F. Lee Bailey was still around.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Looks like Roberta Kaplan is firing back against Habba's claims about the supposed "close personal relationship" with Judge Lewis Kaplan. To the point where she may be seeking sanctions against Habba, and Habba has been forced to pen a very swift retreat from her positions. (Not that this is entirely unexpected. Habba has plenty of experience with court imposed sanctions due to her behaviour on behalf of Mr Trump).

It's a fairly blatant attempt to smear the verdict as tainted, by claiming a conflict of interest and bias in the system.

The only problem is, this is a conflict of interest in the same way that ice water is an iceberg.

They worked in the same large, legal firm. 30 years ago. For an overlap of 2 years. Roberta Kaplan says she has no recollection of ever having world with Lewis Kaplan. She maintains that the only time they have interacted was in the court room (for the Trump cases and one other).

This is all just a part of the standard Trump-world lawyer playbook though.

Look at the attempted smears of the judge and clerk in the New York fraud case, or in the prosecutors in the Federal and Georgia criminal cases. With vanishingly few arguments, and even fewer that have legal merits, team Trump pivots to go after the people involved.
Rule 11. She's been sanctioned before in Miami for frivolous filings.

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The best way to appeal this lawsuit will be on the grounds that the defense lawyers were refused by the judge to allow evidence from the defense team to be adequately heard and considered by the jury.
I am thinking that Trump should hire a better lawyer before the appeal is considered and judged in court.
Was there a specific piece of evidence you had in mind?

• Optimistic
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Was there a specific piece of evidence you had in mind?
Trump's lawyer is either very inexperienced or incompetant, or The D Trump strategy is to go to the media and portray bias and injustices against them even though they knew they weren't any injustices against them.

Haba has made lots of apparent basic mistakes in representing D Trump.

She failed to tick the box asking for a jury
To get a ruling on the issue, Trump’s lawyers could have filed a jury demand and then litigated their right to one, according to Law.com and Snopes.com.

She failed to submit evidence, and just tried to sneak it in without going through the correct process
Newsweek has contacted Habba by email to comment on this story.

Habba appeared to make a mistake on Wednesday when referring to documents that had not been put into evidence. Kaplan ordered a recess in proceedings so that she might "refresh" her memory on how to.

"No, we are not going to read out loud a document not yet in evidence," he said. "We are going to take a break here and you're going to refresh your memory about how you get a document into evidence."

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe that's what Trump likes about her.

I think there are two reasons Mr Trump hired Habba. First and foremost is her image. (She's a good looking gal). And the other reason is she said "Yes, I'll be your attorney". I'd hope my hypothesis is wrong, but from the evidence I've seen...

• Agree
Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think there are two reasons Mr Trump hired Habba. First and foremost is her image. (She's a good looking gal). And the other reason is she said "Yes, I'll be your attorney". I'd hope my hypothesis is wrong, but from the evidence I've seen...
In addition to that, she seems to go wherever her boss tells her to. Trump was campaigning and fundraising during the trials. Tacopino had the sense to bow out of this particular mess.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Trump's lawyer is either very inexperienced or incompetant, or The D Trump strategy is to go to the media and portray bias and injustices against them even though they knew they weren't any injustices against them.

Haba has made lots of apparent basic mistakes in representing D Trump.

She failed to tick the box asking for a jury
To get a ruling on the issue, Trump’s lawyers could have filed a jury demand and then litigated their right to one, according to Law.com and Snopes.com.

She failed to submit evidence, and just tried to sneak it in without going through the correct process
Newsweek has contacted Habba by email to comment on this story.

Habba appeared to make a mistake on Wednesday when referring to documents that had not been put into evidence. Kaplan ordered a recess in proceedings so that she might "refresh" her memory on how to.

"No, we are not going to read out loud a document not yet in evidence," he said. "We are going to take a break here and you're going to refresh your memory about how you get a document into evidence."
Unfortunately for team Trump, having a bad lawyer is not grounds for appeal in civil cases.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It may also be that she'll "help" Trump, even at the possible expense of her career. It appears that a waitress at Trump's Bedminster club was possibly going to sue for sexual harassment (which appears to have been an issue with the man in charge at the club). Alina Habba offered to "help" her, claiming she was an independent party -- the waitress was acquainted with her since Habba was a member at the club. Habba convinced the waitress to remain silent and got here a small settlement -- it appears to have been a sweetheart deal for Trump. The waitress is now suing, and is wanting Habba to be reported to the New Jersey Office of Attorney Ethics for basically representing herself as "independent" yet at the same time convincing her to remain silent, not to sue, and getting her almost nothing for the harassment.

It is unclear, but it appears Habba may have used that experience to "audition" for Trump and to show she would do whatever Trump wanted -- and that is why he hired her. It will also be interesting how that plays out in the New Jersey court system, as if the waitress' claims are true it could possibly cost Habba her ability to practice law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It may also be that she'll "help" Trump, even at the possible expense of her career. It appears that a waitress at Trump's Bedminster club was possibly going to sue for sexual harassment (which appears to have been an issue with the man in charge at the club). Alina Habba offered to "help" her, claiming she was an independent party -- the waitress was acquainted with her since Habba was a member at the club. Habba convinced the waitress to remain silent and got here a small settlement -- it appears to have been a sweetheart deal for Trump. The waitress is now suing, and is wanting Habba to be reported to the New Jersey Office of Attorney Ethics for basically representing herself as "independent" yet at the same time convincing her to remain silent, not to sue, and getting her almost nothing for the harassment.

It is unclear, but it appears Habba may have used that experience to "audition" for Trump and to show she would do whatever Trump wanted -- and that is why he hired her. It will also be interesting how that plays out in the New Jersey court system, as if the waitress' claims are true it could possibly cost Habba her ability to practice law.

Wow, I did not know about that. It certainly doesn't surprise me at all. Mr Trump's life seems to be a series of malfeasance followed by hush money payments and NDAs. It's likely only a matter of time before the Donald gets charged for illegally stealing money from his campaign or superPac too. I'm not convinced that man has any honesty in him at all. He's been the ruin of many a poor lawyer haha.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Wow, I did not know about that. It certainly doesn't surprise me at all. Mr Trump's life seems to be a series of malfeasance followed by hush money payments and NDAs. It's likely only a matter of time before the Donald gets charged for illegally stealing money from his campaign or superPac too. I'm not convinced that man has any honesty in him at all. He's been the ruin of many a poor lawyer haha.
But amazingly he's managed to convince almost half of USA that the problem is the DOJ, the courts, the police, the media etc.
It's not that he is a molester of women, a financial crook, an extorter, a grifter who has committed many, many crimes.
The problem is the "deep state and RHINOS" that are all coming after him in a witch hunt.

No other politician could have anywhere near these guilty convictions and charges in court and allegations and still be a front runner for their party.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But amazingly he's managed to convince almost half of USA that the problem is the DOJ, the courts, the police, the media etc.
It's not that he is a molester of women, a financial crook, an extorter, a grifter who has committed many, many crimes.
The problem is the "deep state and RHINOS" that are all coming after him in a witch hunt.

No other politician could have anywhere near these guilty convictions and charges in court and allegations and still be a front runner for their party.

Well, that republican party was needing an overhaul before Donald came along. It's why he has been successful in taking control. That party desperately needs competent and respectable leadership. The politicians have been lying and manipulating their voters for quite a long time. There will be a price the politicians will have to pay before earning our respect again. They will need to focus on reality for a while after Mr Trump is finally out of the picture. Those politicians know the party will take a hit at the ballot box when they start being honest with us again. It's why they keep procrastinating the honesty they need to become respectable again.

If only their voters understood how to create turnover in congress to give them motivation to work for US. The politicians have them trained to vote for their letter and lazy voters are unwittingly the bane of progress in America. The tribalism will backfire on politicians one day when voters wake up. I should say if haha.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In addition to that, she seems to go wherever her boss tells her to. Trump was campaigning and fundraising during the trials. Tacopino had the sense to bow out of this particular mess.
For Trump, there are basically two people in his world: sycophants or sworn enemies. If you're not the former, you're the latter.

Just look at how he treats sycophants who turn on him, especially when they're asked to do something illegal or unethical (see Mike Pence).

-- A2SG, some prefer the highway to Trump's way....

Upvote 0