• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Does Doctrine play any role in Salvation?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Jair Crawford, Mar 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FreeGrace2

FreeGrace2 Senior Veteran

+1,225
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Are you kidding me? I don't need an extremely lengthy post to "prove" what you think Jesus did.

If the Bible says He went to Hades before He died, then there should be a single verse or passage that says so.

What you've done is go "all over the map" in your way too long post.

apparently, you don't have any proof. If you did, you would have just presented the relevant single verse or single passage that says so.

2. FreeGrace2

+1,225
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Wow. You accuse me of not reading your posts and here you go again, totally misreading mine.

When Abraham died, where did his soul go? To paradise. When Lazarus died, where did his soul go? To paradise. And, Jesus described that as "Abraham's bosom".

And I gave the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia's statement on "Abraham's bosom", which you can take or leave.

Yeah, what do they know? They're just scholars.

Well, speak for yourself. Those with a more robust knowledge of Scripture all know that all the believers who died in OT times went to paradise.

But since you seem to have a different opinion, please share where their souls did go.

Yeah, that was Hades. Where Abraham was. And the rich man.

I can only hope you had a typo about the chapter in Luke. The correct chapter is 16.

And while the passage doesn't label where Abraham was, why don't you educate all of us about where that was, if not paradise.

[/QUOTE]Not only are you not reading carefully what people on this forum are writing; you're not even correctly quoting Scripture![/quote]
    You mean like citing Luke 17 when ch 16 is where Lazarus is? :bow:

Do you not grasp the meaning of "not left in hell" (Hades)?

It's a bad theory, for sure. I do agree that Hades has compartments, but 3, not 2. The 3rd compartment, called Tartarus, is where fallen angels are chained in darkness.

3. Hawkins

Hawkins Member Supporter

+172
    Christian
    Married
    It's a parable, because it's not to illustrate what Abraham's Bosom is, it is the use of it to explain something else! It is the use of simple terms such as Abraham's Bosom and Hades, both are physical in concepts of ancient Jews (from the fundamental concepts of Pharisees), to illustrate something else!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  4. The Righterzpen

The Righterzpen Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm

+496
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    How do you think they knew He was the Messiah to begin with. There wasn't just one verse of "prophecy" that said "LOOOK HERE"!

:scratch::swoon:

The whole flipping Old Testament is full of explanations of how Jesus is the Messiah. How does one establish doctrine? By comparing Scripture with Scripture "line upon line, precept upon precept". Isaiah 28:9-13

The Bereans searched the Scriptures. Be a Berean.

5. The Righterzpen

+496
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    Show me Scripture verse that says specifically "Abraham went to paradise upon death!"

Well 12 apostles and Jesus Christ never went to seminary either.
    Still - show me Scripture verses!

Give me verses! I'm making an assumption that because you can not find verses that say specifically "Abraham's bosom" is the same place as "paradise"; you don't have any Scriptural evidence for your belief.

Show me where Hades is in "the third haven"!

You're correct - you caught that. I did give you the wrong chapter! Now have you actually read in Chapter 16 what was said? Tell me the story of the rich man and Lazarus. Are you going to quote it to me correctly now?

Apparently you don't think I do - so please explain it to me.

LOL - This the theory you're espousing (and don't you even see that)? LOL. You say "Abraham's bosom" is part of Hades. Do you not? Am I misunderstanding you?

6. FreeGrace2

+1,225
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Of course it wasn't to "illustrate what Abraham's Bosom is". I never said it was.

But it isn't a parable. Jesus never named actual persons in any of His parables. But in the account of Lazarus, he mentioned 2 actual people by name.

So, what "else" was Jesus explaining?

7. FreeGrace2

+1,225
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I asked for a single verse or passage that supports your claim, and you failed to do so.

Do you have any verses that actually tell us that He "went to Hades before He died"?

That's exactly what I do, and have been doing for the past several decades.

That's also why I have asked for a specific verse or passage that actually says what you are claiming.

And, unlike the Berean's, you can't produce any.

Be a Berean. Prove your claim.

8. The Righterzpen

+496
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    "It is finished." John 19:30. There's the verse that tells you Jesus went to Hades before He died. He wouldn't declare "it is finished" if it wasn't finished.

OK, I showed you a verse, now show me a verse that says He went to hades after He died.

If those who will be cast into the lake of fire to atone for their own sin, do so as whole individuals, than how would Jesus not atone for the sin of believers as a whole individual?

OK - I produced one verse! Do you believe me now? LOL

P.S. - i'm still waiting on a verse that proves Hades is in the 3rd heaven.

9. Saint Steven

Saint Steven You can call me Steve

+1,815
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    You love to complicate matters. Why?

10. Saint Steven

+1,815
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    It is when you try to explain it. Zzzzzzzz….

11. Saint Steven

+1,815
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Is there any other kind of faith?
    What differentiates one kind from another? That's what I don't get.
    You say "saving faith", as opposed to what?

12. Saint Steven

+1,815
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I'm not denying anything.
    Does that give you the right to question my salvation?

13. Saint Steven

+1,815
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I recommend you switch to decaf.

14. Saint Steven

+1,815
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The topic is whether a person needs doctrine to be saved.
    You have gone off in a different direction.

15. Saint Steven

+1,815
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    You are the only person I know who holds that view.
    Maybe you should start your own religion?

16. The Righterzpen

+496
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    The context of this passage is assuming someone has been in the faith a while and has been taught doctrine. If they don't continue in the fundamentals of faith; that is evidence that they never had it to begin with.

Saint Steven - your respondent here is speaking of those who have not learned anything yet.

We don't have to come to God understanding a lot. A legitimate spiritual awakening often takes place outside of our knowledge as well as outside of our awareness. This is what seems to me Steven is referring to.

"God I need You. My life is a mess. Nothing else has worked....."

Faith can certainly start on grounds that are that simple. The details get filled in later.

17. Saint Steven

+1,815
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Here you go.

Ephesians 4:8-10
    This is why it says:
    “When he ascended on high,
    he took many captives
    and gave gifts to his people.”
    9 (What does “he ascended” mean except that he also descended to the lower, earthly regions?
    10 He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.)

18. StephenDiscipleofYHWH

StephenDiscipleofYHWH Well-Known Member

+302
    United States
    Apostolic
    Single
    It is one of the definitions of the word Paradise, it is what the Jews of time thought was the abode of the righteous souls in Sheol. This is easily found fact that I never added to scripture(and to the words definition), so yes I do indeed follow the process of comparing scripture with scripture and letting the word of God interpret the word of God.

19. StephenDiscipleofYHWH

StephenDiscipleofYHWH Well-Known Member

+302
    United States
    Apostolic
    Single
    Yes I did, I read everything you wrote. And then I responded.

20. GodsGrace101

GodsGrace101 Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,614
    Italy
    Christian
    Married
    I believe Jesus went to Hades after He died and before resurrection....

What I'd like to ask you is WHY He went to Hades?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.