Do some scriptures hold more value than others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog

Don't Tread on Me
Jan 19, 2004
22 Acacia Avenue
✟8,212.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
Should some scripture be at the focus of our understanding and shape the way we look at others? Is any scripture "superior" in it's value to us? Should we focus on one Testament and interpet the other through it (Old and New)? Does all scriptura hold equal value?

What do you think and why?

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,718.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Bulldog said:
Should some scripture be at the focus of our understanding and shape the way we look at others? Is any scripture "superior" in it's value to us? Should we focus on one Testament and interpet the other through it (Old and New)? Does all scriptura hold equal value?

We call the four Gospels "Word of the Lord", and during Mass we stand when Gospel is read. And we venerate them with incense and lights (see my atavar)

All the other Scripture is call "Word of God", and you can sit when it is read.

It is not that the "Word of the Lord" is above the "Word of God". Simply we are so attached to Christ that everything that is related to Him is extrimly important to us.
We believe in God bc we believe in Christ Risen.

Our Church has a cicle of three years to read all the four Gospels at Masses. Other readings are chosen to explain the Gospel of the day.So the Focus is on the Gospels, bc Christ is the center of our life.

Upvote 0

Wisdom's Child

Seek Wisdom and Understanding
Dec 30, 2003
Trenton, Florida
Visit site
✟9,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Written scripture is only as valuable as it is applied to the life of the reader.
If you read something and then move on unchanged, unmoved and/or unmotivated, then it obviously held little real value.
If you read something that causes you to say "wow" where am I in relation to this? And then you find yourself changing perspective and/or direction then it clearly does have high value.
The Scriptures in of themselves are mere words on paper.

Upvote 0

Bulldog

Don't Tread on Me
Jan 19, 2004
22 Acacia Avenue
✟8,212.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
Wisdom's Child said:
Written scripture is only as valuable as it is applied to the life of the reader.
If you read something and then move on unchanged, unmoved and/or unmotivated, then it obviously held little real value.
If you read something that causes you to say "wow" where am I in relation to this? And then you find yourself changing perspective and/or direction then it clearly does have high value.
The Scriptures in of themselves are mere words on paper.

Thanks for responding, but that's another issue.

Upvote 0

Wisdom's Child

Dec 30, 2003
Trenton, Florida
Visit site
✟9,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ok, then the scriptures from my perspective hold a wide range of values.
Mainly determined by what effect that they have upon my individual walk with God.

It is also a practice of mine to review simular verses along topical lines to help determine what the scriptures are saying. Letting the scriptures interpret scriptures. But foremost is the Holy Spirit. Without His voice the scriptures are meaningless.

This effect is different for each individual. Thus why we have such division in the body. Each has "target fixation" upon a small subset of scriptures which they as individuals deem valuable.

But as a whole I believe that the geneology listings in the first part of Numbers is in all probability the least valued scriptures in the Bible.
(the only section of the Bible that I have not managed as yet to read.....I keep falling asleep)

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,718.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Wisdom's Child said:
This effect is different for each individual. Thus why we have such division in the body. Each has "target fixation" upon a small subset of scriptures which they as individuals deem valuable.

These both your statments are very personal and I dont agree on.

The idea of a different effects is very dangerous. The Truth is only one, as Christ is only one. In other words, there is something right and something wrong.

Each has a "target fixation" upon a small subset of scriptures: also that is wrong: Religion is not like Wallmart where you take what you like: there are lots of passage in the Gospels that we dont like (to deny ourself, to take our own cross...) but that we shall read and meditate them anyway.

But, back to the OP question, I think that we shall start form the Gospels, bc we shall start from Christ.

Many protestants start form Pauline letters (Romans 9, 2Tim3 and so on): that is an other approach.

Yes, also the letters are inspired, but the Very Words of Jesus...are more than simply inspired....

John 1 used the term Word (Logos): we read Jesus, but John choosed to write Logos, not Jesus: surely he wanted to leave an open door to other interpretations.
This is an other inteprestation (that do not cancel the preminent one, word=Jesus): the Word is the Gospel of Him, given by the Lord to us, that dies in a book, and rises in our christian life. The Connection between the Lord and the Word and the Gospel is so very strict: we cannot but start reading the Bible form the Gospels

Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Left the river, made it to the sea
Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bulldog said:
Does all scriptura hold equal value?

Well I would say yes, in a way... There is clearly a seperation between Gospel and Law within scripture and some books and passages may apply to cultural situations that no longer apply. That doesn't mean that some scripture is less inspired but perhaps less applicable to our current life (some portions of Paul's epistles to specific Church's)...

As part of our liturgy, we also call the Gospels the "Word of Our Lord" while the scripture is called the Word of God when read aloud...

Also, certain Epistles like Romans are more powerful than others because of the systematic layout and content of the Epistle... I tend to find Romans much more applicable than say Philippians simply because of content and intent of the epistle...

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2005
SE
✟24,268.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Bulldog said:

2 Timothy 3:16-17

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

CC&E

Upvote 0

themuzicman

Oct 1, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟16,385.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Bulldog said:

I wouldn't say that they have different value as much as having a different purpose. I happen to think that the overarching theme of scripture is God calling to us, saying "Trust me."

Thus, the OT stories are about how various people and nations trusted or failed to trust God. The Old Covenant is God engaging with the nation of Israel, asking them to believe and trust in Him.

Wisdom literature gives us advice for living life in general, and God asks us to trust Him with out daily decisions.

The NT gospels encourage us to believe in Jesus Christ by telling us about His life. Acts encourages us to believe through telling God's stories through the early church.

The epistles were guides and advice to the early church to deal with problems they were having.

Revelation is the ultimate "trust me" as God reveals the end long before it happens.

Muz

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wisdom's Child

Dec 30, 2003
Trenton, Florida
Visit site
✟9,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
a_ntv said:
These both your statments are very personal and I dont agree on.
Yes, Relationships really should be personal.
And, not surprisingly, as human beings we often disagree.

a_ntv said:
The idea of a different effects is very dangerous. The Truth is only one, as Christ is only one. In other words, there is something right and something wrong.

Ideas are dangerous things, and very intimidating.
But you must stop to consider that though the Truth is one, and Christ is one, We are all starting from a position of being utterly lost.
We as a people are not in one place spiritually, and each has a different direction to go to achieve that "one" location.
It's a scary world out there. We each carry our own burdens, and grow in our own times spiritually. You cannot expect different people to react identically to a pre-determined program.
(look at the public school system and tell me every child recieves 4.0 grades and has perfect attendance)
Take the time to read Bunyan's Pilgrims Progress.

a_ntv said:
Each has a "target fixation" upon a small subset of scriptures: also that is wrong: Religion is not like Wallmart where you take what you like: there are lots of passage in the Gospels that we dont like (to deny ourself, to take our own cross...) but that we shall read and meditate them anyway.

Religion is not like Walmart?
You mean that there isn't a marketplace of "brand name" denominations out there seeking to sell their particular version of Scriptural Interpretation and Application?
Shocking....

Also, if you have no hunger or taste for something, why eat it?
Forcing yourself to conform to another's belief or doing something because the "group" expects it of you is not being true to yourself.
God can see through that desception.

You don't like the scriptures on fasting and denial?
You don't like those scriptures on bearing burdens?
I love those scriptures, they provide so much.

I love you just the same

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.