✟18,637.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What To Do Before We Die

Every few weeks, I go to our local library and peruse their book sale tables. Recently, I found 1,000 places to see before you die, by Patricia Schultz. A much-travelled freelance writer, she compiled a list of places that would "impress upon the visitor — and the reader — some sense of the earth's magic, integrity, wonder, and legacy".

In the last twenty years, I've been blessed to travel in many areas of the world, and I love to read about others' travels, so I deposited my quarter and took the book. I was curious to see how many places she chose that I've either travelled to or read about. I didn't agree with all her recommendations, but on the whole, it was enjoyable to see what this travel expert determined were important places to see and experience "before you die" as compared to my own travel and reading experiences.

However, I think that a more important list would be "How to live for Christ before we die", or in other words, how to live with an eternal perspective.

2 Corinthians 4:18 – We look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. (ESV)

James 4:14 – Yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. (ESV)

Ecclesiastes 3:11 – He has put eternity into man's heart. (ESV)

We have a limited time on earth, but what we do with that time affects eternity. This eternal perspective should govern our lives: our interactions with others, the words that we speak, our thoughts, and our behaviour in times of grief and stress. All of this should reflect our confident belief that God is real and faithful and that He is the answer to every need in anyone's life.

Psalm 48:14 – For this is God, our God forever and ever; He will be our guide even to death. (NKJV)

If we trust in Him, He will guide us as we seek to focus on what is most important to do before we die:

list of 5 items
• Acts 16:31 – Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved. (ESV)
• Proverbs 3:5 – Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. (ESV)
• Mark 16:15 – Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel. (ESV)
• 2 Corinthians 9:7b – God loves a cheerful giver. (ESV)
• Galatians 6:9a – And let us not grow weary of doing good. (ESV)
list end

As we enter a new year, let's determine to concentrate on living for Christ and paying attention to our actions and thoughts to make sure that they reflect this eternal perspective.

Prayer: Father, we get so bound up in our daily tasks and events that we forget where our focus should be. Help us to live with an eternal perspective, so much so that it draws others to You. Amen.