• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Do Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxers1

Jan 11, 2007
✟15,245.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It still blows my mind that the key to coping with our horrible obsessive thoughts is to Do Nothing and let them happen...basically don't try to get rid of them, just get used to them and say "ok whatever" (even if you think you just went too far- you're still supposed to say "ok whatever." I tried for years to fight these thoughts, renounce them, pray over them etc....That just doesn't work for the OCDr. But doing NOTHING works. I find the paradox quite amazing from a psychological standpoint, but so HARD nonetheless to execute personally. So when I'm in church on Sunday nobody but me will know how many times I just had to say "ok whatever." So often it is my little secret that I rarely share unless I am talking on this forum. I am so grateful to all of you that I can tell you these things.
Boxers1

marcb

May 4, 2006
California
✟8,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are right, Boxers1. I have really begun to do this and it works rather quickly to my surprise. I restarted my meds so I can actually have the fortitude to do this. I sometimes "bring them out," but am beginning to realize that whether they intentional or ocd is even irrelevant. The "theme" of the thoughts will speak for itself as to whether or not it is ocd.

This is truly a leap of faith. Jumping into this knowing that God will catch us, that He never leaves or forsakes us. Things get kinda crazy, but after a few times of really doing this, I started to realize that the thoughts are absurd, contrary to my beliefs, and do not damage my faith. This evening I found myself praying for others with a clear focus for the first time in a few days (I was upside down this week - thank God the meds are working quickly).

I know what you mean about it being a "secret." I've decided not to let others in on this (except for ocd'ers) because it doesn't make sense to them and they don't understand.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.