Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
This will be a thread strictly about discussing "time", and what we know about it, and maybe also what we don't know about it, or might not know about it as well, etc.

But let's try to keep it on the topic of time, ok.

A certain CF poster posted this here (below), and so I'm going to try and respond to it, or will be using it here to start this off, ok.

I've been aware for a while now of how this works on the larger scales, so I'll discuss it first, ok.

For the record I did state that light, or the speed of light has little to nothing to do with time, etc, and I'm going to try and explain that one here in a minute, etc.

On the larger scales, the universe is the same age, and is therefore set at the same time, equally everywhere, etc. This is evidenced by when we look at places in the universe very, very far away, we're seeing them just as old as they are in the past, as it is light years away from us, and it would be vice-versa from that position observing us very, very far away from where they are at, etc, or they would also be seeing us as many years in the past, as they were the number of light years they were away from us, etc, and this is because either way, or from each reference point, that is the time it takes the light to reach there, but that is not the real or actual picture of how it is now, or how it would be if we were able to travel to it very, very, very quickly, etc. We'd have to account for billions of years of stellar change, if we could travel nigh instantly to something billions of light years away very, very quickly, etc.

But I never thought of applying this to much, much smaller scales, etc. This CF poster pointed out to me very correctly that light travels about 1 foot in a nanosecond of time, etc, and he is very, very correct about that, but didn't agree with me when I said light itself, or the speed of light itself, has nothing to actually do with time, etc. And also in my opinion, he's only halfway correct about events at different places not being able to be simultaneous, or not being able to be happening simultaneously, or at the same quote/unquote "time", etc, and I will try to explain that one here in a minute also, etc.

Two events happening 1 foot apart from one another, etc. Now when one is looking at the other, it takes the light 1 nanosecond to travel to his frame of reference, or reference point, or his eyes, etc. Now you could say they didn't or don't happen at the same time, but what's really happening is that from one of them's reference point, etc, the light took 1 nanosecond of time to get to each the other's reference point, so they are seeing each others events 1 nanosecond in the past, or one nanosecond old, etc, but as far as the "now" goes, they both happened at the same time, or simultaneously if they were truly the same age and/or old, or really did happen at the same "time" once they (those simultaneous events) had passed into "the past" simultaneously, etc. The pictures that we are getting are just older from each one another's reference point or frame, etc.

It is possible for two separate events in different reference frames to happen at the same "time" (and/or simultaneously) if they both happen in the "now" simultaneously, but no observer would be able to observe that unless they were in each others reference frames/points simultaneously, or could be one thing existing at those two places at once simultaneously, etc.

"Now" is how everything is actually at the same age everywhere equally, etc. But you'd have to be the same thing in two places at once to observe that directly. Honestly, it makes much, much more sense on the much larger scales, but it also applies to everything on a much much smaller scale also, like two persons, places, or things being one foot apart, but seeing each other as being one nanosecond old, due to the time it takes the light to reach them in each others reference frames, but that really has nothing to do with the actual time at all, the time it takes the light to reach each others reference frames, etc.

There are two other things that can actually affect how slow time passes for a person, place, or thing, etc. One is speed or motion through spacetime, etc, if it is fast enough for whatever happens to be moving or traveling this quickly through space, time will slow down or go slower for that thing, etc. The other is strong gravitational pulls, etc, if you are close enough to a strong enough one, this will also slow down the flow of time for that thing, etc. Obviously all gravitational pulls, and all speed of motion affects this slightly always, but it's barely measurable until it gets past a certain point in gravitational pull or speed, etc, and then it can start it's increase towards affecting the slowing down of the flow of time for that thing after that increasingly exponentially, etc, to where, like with speed, at the speed of light, anything having any mass, is said to maybe stop the flow of time for that person, place, or thing completely, etc. But everything else in the universe that was not with you in these situations or states, nothing changes for them unless they were with you in these situations or states. Time, and the flow of time, for them, etc, is still the same as it has always been for them always since you left them, or before your own situation ot state changed, etc.

Another thing which might be a third thing that I was researching, was acceleration alone possibly affecting time, or time dilation, but there are varying answers to this, and until I do more research I do not know if acceleration all alone, or all by itself, can affect time, or time dilation, some say it only can indirectly, by changing one of the two other factors just mentioned, but there are also some who disagree, etc, so I haven't been able to get any for sure answers about this possible third factor yet completely.

Anyway, this thread is for "all talk about time", etc, but I would please ask if we could please limit it to just that only please, etc.

I know many of you will probably disagree with a lot of what I just said, and that's more than ok, etc, and that's way, way ok, etc, because most of this is just to get "the talk about time" going, ok.

It came up so much in my other thread, that I had to make this one for it, as it was way, way off-topic in my other thread.

So let's hear everyone's ideas, and let's let "the talk about time" begin, ok.

Take Care/God Bless.

Reactions: BeyondET

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,244.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Note for interested readers:

Just ignore the rambling, confused OP .. and take a look at this very simple, 4 minute YouTube, by popular Physicist, Brian Greene, in order to establish a model in mind, which should make discussions much easier:

Past, present and future coexist. 'Now time' explained easy.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This will be a thread strictly about discussing "time", and what we know about it, and maybe also what we don't know about it, or might not know about it as well, etc.

A certain CF poster posted this here (below), and so I'm going to try and respond to it, or will be using it here to start this off, ok.

I've been aware for a while now of how this works on the larger scales, so I'll discuss it first, ok.

For the record I did state that light, or the speed of light has little to nothing to do with time, etc, and I'm going to try and explain that one here in a minute, etc.

On the larger scales, the universe is the same age, and is therefore set at the same time, equally everywhere, etc. This is evidenced by when we look at places in the universe very, very far away, we're seeing them just as old as they are in the past, as it is light years away from us, and it would be vice-versa from that position observing us very, very far away from where they are at, etc, or they would also be seeing us as many years in the past, as they were the number of light years they were away from us, etc, and this is because either way, or from each reference point, that is the time it takes the light to reach there, but that is not the real or actual picture of how it is now, or how it would be if we were able to travel to it very, very, very quickly, etc. We'd have to account for billions of years of stellar change, if we could travel nigh instantly to something billions of light years away very, very quickly, etc.

But I never thought of applying this to much, much smaller scales, etc. This CF poster pointed out to me very correctly that light travels about 1 foot in a nanosecond of time, etc, and he is very, very correct about that, but didn't agree with me when I said light itself, or the speed of light itself, has nothing to actually do with time, etc. And also in my opinion, he's only halfway correct about events at different places not being able to be simultaneous, or not being able to be happening simultaneously, or at the same quote/unquote "time", etc, and I will try to explain that one here in a minute also, etc.

Two events happening 1 foot apart from one another, etc. Now when one is looking at the other, it takes the light 1 nanosecond to travel to his frame of reference, or reference point, or his eyes, etc. Now you could say they didn't or don't happen at the same time, but what's really happening is that from one of them's reference point, etc, the light took 1 nanosecond of time to get to each the other's reference point, so they are seeing each others events 1 nanosecond in the past, or one nanosecond old, etc, but as far as the "now" goes, they both happened at the same time, or simultaneously if they were truly the same age and/or old, or really did happen at the same "time" once they (those simultaneous events) had passed into "the past" simultaneously, etc. The pictures that we are getting are just older from each one another's reference point or frame, etc.

It is possible for two separate events in different reference frames to happen at the same "time" (and/or simultaneously) if they both happen in the "now" simultaneously, but no observer would be able to observe that unless they were in each others reference frames/points simultaneously, or could be one thing existing at those two places at once simultaneously, etc.

"Now" is how everything is actually at the same age everywhere equally, etc. But you'd have to be the same thing in two places at once to observe that directly. Honestly, it makes much, much more sense on the much larger scales, but it also applies to everything on a much much smaller scale also, like two persons, places, or things being one foot apart, but seeing each other as being one nanosecond old, due to the time it takes the light to reach them in each others reference frames, but that really has nothing to do with the actual time at all, the time it takes the light to reach each others reference frames, etc.

There are two other things that can actually affect how slow time passes for a person, place, or thing, etc. One is speed or motion through spacetime, etc, if it is fast enough for whatever happens to be moving or traveling this quickly through space, time will slow down or go slower for that thing, etc. The other is strong gravitational pulls, etc, if you are close enough to a strong enough one, this will also slow down the flow of time for that thing, etc. Obviously all gravitational pulls, and all speed of motion affects this slightly always, but it's barely measurable until it gets past a certain point in gravitational pull or speed, etc, and then it can start it's increase towards affecting the slowing down of the flow of time for that thing after that increasingly exponentially, etc, to where, like with speed, at the speed of light, anything having any mass, is said to maybe stop the flow of time for that person, place, or thing completely, etc. But everything else in the universe that was not with you in these situations or states, nothing changes for them unless they were with you in these situations or states. Time, and the flow of time, for them, etc, is still the same as it has always been for them always since you left them, or before your own situation ot state changed, etc.

Another thing which might be a third thing that I was researching, was acceleration alone possibly affecting time, or time dilation, but there are varying answers to this, and until I do more research I do not know if acceleration all alone, or all by itself, can affect time, or time dilation, some say it only can indirectly, by changing one of the two other factors just mentioned, but there are also some who disagree, etc, so I haven't been able to get any for sure answers about this possible third factor yet completely.

Anyway, this thread is for "all talk about time", etc, but I would please ask if we could please limit it to just that only please, etc.

I know many of you will probably disagree with a lot of what I just said, and that's more than ok, etc, and that's way, way ok, etc, because most of this is just to get "the talk about time" going, ok.

It came up so much in my other thread, that I had to make this one for it, as it was way, way off-topic in my other thread.

Take Care/God Bless.
Time is simply the observance of aging. Without aging, decay and the such, we would not be able to gauge time. God took away timelessness, aka everlasting life, when Adam and Eve fell from Grace. We are now " bound" by time and we age.
Now Grace has been restored through Jesus Christ of Nazareth. We will once again know timelessness by His promise of everlasting life. This is the restoration of a relationship created by God, destroyed by man, and restored by Jesus Christ of Nazareth.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,244.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
"Time is our perception of .."
Time is simply the observance of ..
Its interesting to note that both perceiving and observing there, are what us humans do ..

I'll argue that without either of those human qualities being a part of a big picture, 'time' ceases to mean anything.

Time, therefore, is a human illusion.

I mean, (as Einstein purpotedly wrote):
'The past, present and future are only illusions, even if stubborn ones.'
Einstein's conclusion stems directly from his special theory of relativity, which denies any absolute, universal significance to the present moment.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Take Care/God Bless.
Time is an illusion .... outside of planet earth there is no time

Time is a function of our relationship with the physical world and although we might rely on it in our everyday lives, it does not exist outside us. Like a ruler or a weighing scale, clocks offer us merely a symbol of reality, not reality itself.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,244.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private

Time is a function of our relationship with the physical world and although we might rely on it in our everyday lives, it does not exist outside us. Like a ruler or a weighing scale, clocks offer us merely a symbol of reality, not reality itself.
Another interesting comment (thank you).

I would say that clocks are, (pretty obviously), designed by humans with the view to appealing to our (human) senses, in order for us to make sense of what we see, hear and feel. Seeing, hearing and feeling, are also our explanations for how we navigate our perceptions .. which is the process producing what we mean by: 'reality'.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Its interesting to note that both perceiving and observing there, are what us humans do ..

I'll argue that without either of those human qualities being a part of a big picture, 'time' ceases to mean anything.

Time, therefore, is a human illusion.

I mean, (as Einstein purpotedly wrote):
'The past, present and future are only illusions, even if stubborn ones.'
Einstein's conclusion stems directly from his special theory of relativity, which denies any absolute, universal significance to the present moment.
Not an illusion but a necessary evil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The past, present, and future are necessary evil? What a bleak outlook on life. Feel free to clarify.
Adam cut us off from everlasting life and introduced time, aka aging. A Spiritual perspective.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for the reply. But, I'm still glad I left Christianity.

For this?

1710804571621.jpeg

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Time doesn't exist outside of planet earth??
Clocks in the form of cosmochronometers not only existed outside of earth but before the earth existed.
²³⁸U is a radioactive cosmochronometer with a half life of 4.47 billion years has been found in very old stars.

uranium.png

The Re-Os (rhenium-osmium) cosmochronometer has been used to date the age of the galaxy.

• Agree
Reactions: SelfSim
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Just ignore the rambling, confused OP .. and take a look at this very simple, 4 minute YouTube, by popular Physicist, Brian Greene, in order to establish a model in mind, which should make discussions much easier:

Given what Green is saying, can one conclude all time is simultaneous or must there be a relation between two moving entities/points of reference for talk of "time" to make sense? Or maybe both thoughts miss the mark of what he's saying?

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

I don't know about being able to see into the future, but with the distances Greene is talking about, the alien is already seeing the past due to however many light years he is away, so if he could see into the future, it might only be a more recent past, etc. But they are both in the "now" both of them are already, but each is already only seeing each others past, however far apart they are from one another, etc. And I don't think, with the distances they would have to be apart from one another to be able to be able to see either each other's future or past, that they would be able to see into one another's futures, but only a more recent past, etc.

The actual "now" is where both of them are already at. Or in other words, the places in the universe are both the same age, no matter where they at, and that is what the "now" or now time is for both of them, etc, regardless of how long the light from each other's different places takes to travel to where the other one is at, which is why they are seeing each other in the past, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't know about being able to see into the future, but with the distances Greene is talking about, the alien is already seeing the past due to however many light years he is away, so if he could see into the future, it might only be a more recent past, etc. But they are both in the "now" both of them are already, but each is already only seeing each others past, however far apart they are from one another, etc. And I don't think, with the distances they would have to be apart from one another to be able to be able to see either each other's future or past, that they would be able to see into one another's futures, but only a more recent past, etc.

The actual "now" is where both of them are already at. Or in other words, the places in the universe are both the same age, no matter where they at, and that is what the "now" or now time is for both of them, etc, regardless of how long the light from each other's different places takes to travel to where the other one is at, which is why they are seeing each other in the past, etc.
@SelfSim

Let's say they were a billion light years apart, and they were each seeing each other a billion years in the past, then the alien goes as fast as he can toward the other so his "slice" gets as angled as much toward seeing the other one's future as possible, etc, then he would only be able to see into the other ones future, only if that effect would excced the billion light years into the other one's past that he is already seeing, etc, and I don't think that effect would ever excced that, etc. Therefore cannot see into the other one's or another one's future no matter what, but only a more recent past, etc.

God Bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0