Austin
✟26,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I guess I'm getting sensitive about it...

For instance, I've noticed a new trend at the grocery store.

Even though I walk up to the counter carrying my two bags myself, and unload (and sometimes re-load them), invariably I'll get asked if I need help carrying them out, or if I need a cart. My impulse is to declare, "what do I look like, an invalid?" Instead I just smile and say, "I got it." Though I admit they are getting heavier these days.

Another thing is when I pay for meds at the pharmacy. The directions on the card reader are pretty darn clear, but the clerk unfailingly feels the need to guide me through each step: "now enter your date of birth, now click 'ok', ect". I want to interrupt and say, "what do I look like, a complete moron?" But instead I just grin and bear it. Maybe it's because I'm squinting to read the dang thing causing them to offer assistance, I dunno.

I figure if I ever actually speak up I'll be betraying good Christian conduct, after all they are just being kind. But still! Sigh...

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hey Joseph (@Joseph G), I appreciate the fact that there are still some people out there who are kind enough & still care enough to take the time and effort to offer help to others who they think may need it :) (even though, like you, I don't need them to, not yet anyway). So, I just let them do their thing, and then I thank them profusely for helping me (of course).

I think that it's better to encourage rather than stymie this kind of behavior whenever possible, because the next person who comes along may be someone who really does need their help :oldthumbsup:

--David

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I couldn't agree with you more, David. Exactly why I pray continually for the Lord to guard my lips when I am tempted to be too easily offended!
Yes, how vital self-control is (ESPECIALLY for believers), and how wonderful it is to finally possess it, most of the time anyway ;) (due to the Holy Spirit's fruit and ongoing effort in us to make us more and more Christlike throughout our lives here :amen:).

God bless you!!

--David

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Even though I walk up to the counter carrying my two bags myself, and unload (and sometimes re-load them), invariably I'll get asked if I need help carrying them out, or if I need a cart. My impulse is to declare, "what do I look like, an invalid?" Instead I just smile and say, "I got it." Though I admit they are getting heavier these days.

Another thing is when I pay for meds at the pharmacy. The directions on the card reader are pretty darn clear, but the clerk unfailingly feels the need to guide me through each step: "now enter your date of birth, now click 'ok', ect". I want to interrupt and say, "what do I look like, a complete moron?" But instead I just grin and bear it. Maybe it's because I'm squinting to read the dang thing causing them to offer assistance, I dunno.

I figure if I ever actually speak up I'll be betraying good Christian conduct, after all they are just being kind. But still! Sigh...
I have a little sympathy for the staff. Often, they are required to go through the motions of offering help, even if they don't believe it is necessary. If one person complains, which is highly likely these days, then the staff member is in trouble. I laugh it off. "It's ok, I had my weeties for breakfast. Either they laugh, if they've seen the ad, or back off, thinking I'm a nut. Either way, the issue goes away.

We don't have the same card system as you do. I don't like giving out my D.O.B as it's used to I.D. people a lot. Perhaps you need a 'T' Shirt saying, "I'm old, not stupid" or something like that.

I know someone who has been using a debit card for years. She still asks if it is ok to pay with it. Drives me nuts, let alone the person the other side of the counter.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I hear ya. The folks that assume you musn't know anything about technology are the worst, especially for me when that's been my career for 35 years.
I'm the old person who is baffled by tech! I hate the handicap!

Upvote 0

John G.

Feb 2, 2024
N. Ireland
✟9,790.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Divorced
I, for one, am grateful when I meet a polite and helpful store assistant however I keep noticing that I'm getting grumpier by the day.
I hope God understands this weakness in His children after all: look how grumpy Martin Luther got in his old age.

Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟26,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I, for one, am grateful when I meet a polite and helpful store assistant however I keep noticing that I'm getting grumpier by the day.
I hope God understands this weakness in His children after all: look how grumpy Martin Luther got in his old age.
Do tell. I'm not familiar with much about Martin Luther, other than he experienced some pretty intense spiritual warfare - which I can relate to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Martin Luther is to be admired for taking on the corrupt Catholic church and bringing us back to the Bible however, in his latter years, he became anti-Jewish and anti-peasant.
Luther was human just like us.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I am regularly impatient with other peoples' actions. I am regularly tempted to do or say things that violate commands in the scripture to love people beyond their ability to receive it. I have to daily exercise faith in God to help me resist the temptations to call people idiots or to get angry when they assume I'm one. At times I want to tell people their "help" is no help at all. Yet, since I don't belong in this world, I try to keep on treating others with respect and kindness regardless of what they do or say. I belong in the New Jerusalem, so I practice the same kind of language and behavior that will be practiced there, even though now I live in a fallen world.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I appreciate it must be difficult for those of you who understand tech! I'm the opposite - the old dear who asks if I just tap the card or "Does it go in this way round?" Recently I confused myself, and the shop assistant, when my pin didn't register at the self-service checkout until I realised that I was using the wrong card. "Oops, senior moment" helps me get out of various difficulties and playing up the generational differences leads to a lot of kind help.

But I can get grumpy over some things. Telling a machine why I am phoning that company and then speaking to someone at head office when I simply want to tell the local store why I can't pick up my parcel today makes me annoyed. Sometimes I just long for the 50s and 60s again! (Btw is it a sin to get angry with a machine? :D)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What's your point? Do you think Luther became anti-Christ?
I don't judge Luther. I've barely read anything about him. Do you have a problem with my statement? If so, please explain.

Upvote 0