Dinosaurs and Humans Coexisting! (My Thoughts on the Creation Museum)

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Claiming there is no evidence, when evidence is all around you, is intellectually dishonest.

You claim there is evidence, but the "evidence" you present has never withstood any rigorous scientific testing.

And claiming evidence, when you're actively fighting the evidence is worse yet.

Show me that it deserves to be counted as evidence and I'll consider it. Until then, it's a book of old fables, not evidence.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Because all of the scientific evidence out there supports the theory of evolution. Either God purposefully misled everyone into believing the theory of evolution is correct or life evolved. There is no scientific evidence for creationism. The evidence tells us that we evolved. Since your God would have had to have made the evidence if it is not accurate that would make him a liar.

That is why scientists that are Christians tend to accept the theory of evolution.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Until then, it's a book of old fables, not evidence.
Book?

I'm talking about much more than the Book.

I'm talking about Christian edifices, holidays, iconography, martyrs, holidays, documentation, and other things.

Reactions: sethrak
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
My understanding is that #2 isn't a deception on the part of God, it implies that human beings have misunderstood the scientific data.

I still think its a stretch but I believe it reconciles better with science than #1, which says that science must be directly challenged in the interests of having a Christian faith.

If one believes that God created a mature universe, with an extensive back story embedded into it, it's akin to saying that God created Adam fully formed with a lifetime of memories, of being a child, having a mom and dad, friends, etc; false memories put there by God.

I don't think the intent is to say God is deceitful, but it's the inevitable conclusion one reaches if taken seriously and thought out. It's why the Omphalos Hypothesis should be considered not just bad science, but also bordering on heretical because of what it ultimately says about God.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
  1. The earth is young and God created it in 6 literal days. Modern science is not wrong. It's right. However, God created a mature world with apparent age. God created trees with rings. Adam appeared 30 years old when in reality he was only 1 day old. God created the earth with oil deposits in it. And God created the world with dinosaur bones in it. But dinosaurs did not actually walk the earth.
That idea still isn't consistent with what we observe -- assuming you mean that humans began as a single pair less than 10,000 years or so ago. Human genetic variation could not have come from a single couple. You will have to invoke one or more later miracles to explain the data, in addition to the original creation of a mature world.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One can accept reality and still be a Christian. One does not have to read Genesis literally. It still fits the verse on being "profitable for instruction".
Inerrancy does not mean 'literally'. The Bible uses many forms of writing styles. Jesus didn't mean that the Jewish leaders were literal vipers. Revelation is not talking about literal scorpions, etc.
So one can still believe that the Bible is inerrant in it's original manuscripts while accepting that some of the scriptures use symbolism, poetry, etc. and other scriptures are literal historical facts exactly as they are written.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I promise to go back and read fully the posts that have come before.

I think: A thousand years are as a day to the Lord~that man and the big animals called dinosaurs were here at the same time~ I believe they died because of man, weather, the flood and maybe because of a happening I've not though of or mentioned~that the earth is 12-20,000 years old, older of younger~not the millions, billions or trillions or older spouted by those we've taught in our schools. Annnnd I think the history in buried bone of everything from smallest to the largest animal shows that. And that God created all that is, that God always was, that there is Good which is God and Evil which has been described to us in and we have spoken of and sometimes written.

That Our God came here to us and He lived with us and gathered us in His Yegyegetsi Church that the Evil also has churches, tho they are maybe not called churches.

I believe in One God, The Father Almighty, The Son, The Holy Spirit as one~I don't plan to say the Creed here~

seth

Does the World’s Top Weed Killer Cause Cancer? Trump’s EPA Will Decide
The Lord owns all the cattle on 10,000 hills. Are there only 10,000 hills? Does the Lord own all cattle or just some?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

TBDude65

Fossil Finder (TM)
Dec 26, 2016
Tennessee
✟26,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Both positions are equally absurd and equally devoid of evidence to back them up. The remaining option is that the earth is actually ~4.56 billion years old and that life has slowly evolved through time, with humans and non-avian dinosaurs separated by ~65 million years worth of time

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The remaining option is that the earth is actually ~4.56 billion years old and that life has slowly evolved through time, with humans and non-avian dinosaurs separated by ~65 million years worth of time
Either that, or God embedded age into His creation, giving it maturity without history.

Reactions: sethrak
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because all of the scientific evidence out there supports the theory of evolution.
The OP has a particular subject matter, he does not mention the pros and cons of evolution, there are plenty of threads about that.
The subject matter here is about dinosaur bones found in the earth, the Bible, and God. Not the much larger subject of evolution.
You don't believe in God so how can you even help in this discussion?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,856.00
Faith
Atheist
You don't see how planting false evidence is deception? What would be the purpose, to cause confusion? You know God is not a god of confusion.
Maybe it's just there for us to exercise our God-given curiosity. You can get a very satisfying circular argument out of it: God plants false evidence to give our curiosity something to explore, and gives us curiosity so that we can explore the false evidence He's planted. No loose ends - except 'why?' which can be swept under the rug of theological ignorance by GWIMW (God Works In Mysterious Ways) ;)

ISTR someone here once suggesting that the skills we learn in this life are a form of practice for the 'next' life - how he knew this, or what use they'd be, he couldn't say...

Upvote 0

TBDude65

Fossil Finder (TM)
Dec 26, 2016
Tennessee
✟26,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The OP has a particular subject matter, he does not mention the pros and cons of evolution, there are plenty of threads about that.
The subject matter here is about dinosaur bones found in the earth, the Bible, and God. Not the much larger subject of evolution.
You don't believe in God so how can you even help in this discussion?
All of the scientific evidence also points to an old earth where no human ever coexisted with non-avian dinosaurs

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That idea still isn't consistent with what we observe -- assuming you mean that humans began as a single pair less than 10,000 years or so ago. Human genetic variation could not have come from a single couple. You will have to invoke one or more later miracles to explain the data, in addition to the original creation of a mature world.

Why is this?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You don't see how planting false evidence is deception? What would be the purpose, to cause confusion? You know God is not a god of confusion.

I don't claim to know God's secret purposes. Why are dinosaur bones "false evidence"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If one believes that God created a mature universe, with an extensive back story embedded into it, it's akin to saying that God created Adam fully formed with a lifetime of memories, of being a child, having a mom and dad, friends, etc; false memories put there by God.

I don't think the intent is to say God is deceitful, but it's the inevitable conclusion one reaches if taken seriously and thought out. It's why the Omphalos Hypothesis should be considered not just bad science, but also bordering on heretical because of what it ultimately says about God.

-CryptoLutheran

If a tree in the garden would have been cut down a few days after creation, would it have had rings?

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why is this?
Because you're talking about a young population that started with a single pair and then expanded rapidly. In that kind of population, all genetic variation (that is, all genetic differences between individuals) either has to have been present in the original couple (e.g. Adam had a copy of a gene variant that causes blue eyes) or have occurred as new mutations since then.

The first kind of variant -- ones inherited from Adam and Eve -- will be found in a large fraction of the population. But there's lots of genetic variation in humans, and the bulk of it is at low frequency, e.g. it's found in 1% of the population, or 0.1%. So we don't get it from Adam and Eve. New mutations, on the other hand, couldn't have produced all the variation we see in a few hundred generations.

The argument can be made more precise and mathematical, but that's the gist of it. There are millions of genetic variants in the modern population at frequencies of less than 5%. How did they get there if the population is young?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't claim to know God's secret purposes. Why are dinosaur bones "false evidence"?
They are real bones and now even real fossilized skin and tissue. If these animals were never living, as other bones, skin, and tissue are only from animals who were/are living and were just planted there what would be the purpose?
If someone were to plant biological evidence at a crime scene which leads the investigation in the wrong direction that would be 'false evidence'. It is not evidence that leads to the correct solution to the crime. That evidence is not credible.
So your conclusion is that God planted evidence of an animal that never really existed is saying that God planted evidence that would lead to a false conclusion. His evidence is not credible and cannot be trusted.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Because you're talking about a young population that started with a single pair and then expanded rapidly. In that kind of population, all genetic variation (that is, all genetic differences between individuals) either has to have been present in the original couple (e.g. Adam had a copy of a gene variant that causes blue eyes) or have occurred as new mutations since then.

Why could not a large amount of variation have been present in our first parents?

The first kind of variant -- ones inherited from Adam and Eve -- will be found in a large fraction of the population. But there's lots of genetic variation in humans, and the bulk of it is at low frequency, e.g. it's found in 1% of the population, or 0.1%. So we don't get it from Adam and Eve. New mutations, on the other hand, couldn't have produced all the variation we see in a few hundred generations.

Why could not new mutations have produced all the variation we see in a few hundred generations?

The argument can be made more precise and mathematical, but that's the gist of it. There are millions of genetic variants in the modern population at frequencies of less than 5%. How did they get there if the population is young?

Thanks for giving me the nutshell.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
They are real bones and now even real fossilized skin and tissue. If these animals were never living, as other bones, skin, and tissue are only from animals who were/are living and were just planted there what would be the purpose?

I do not claim to know the secret purposes of God.

If someone were to plant biological evidence at a crime scene which leads the investigation in the wrong direction that would be 'false evidence'. It is not evidence that leads to the correct solution to the crime. That evidence is not credible.

Agreed. Especially if their intention was to deceive investigators. But creation is not a crime scene and God's intention is not to deceive.

So your conclusion is that God planted evidence of an animal that never really existed is saying that God planted evidence that would lead to a false conclusion. His evidence is not credible and cannot be trusted.

Just because human beings make wrong conclusions based on what they observe does not mean that God intended for them to draw these conclusions. General revelation is certainly obscured by sin and finitude. Furthermore, God has spoken clearly in his word in order to clear up any confusion. So I don't see this as deceitful.

Upvote 0