Dinosaurs and Humans Coexisting! (My Thoughts on the Creation Museum)

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I had the privilege of spending the day at the Creation Museum recently. Here's my thoughts...

It should first be noted that every view in relation to Genesis 1 and making sense of it in light of modern science has problems - including views that allow for theistic evolution.

While I hold to the "Regular Day View" (the days in Genesis 1 correspond to normal days), I do not see eye-to-eye with the Creation Museum. There are really only two routes to go if one holds to the RDV. The CM goes one way and I go another. Either:
  1. The earth is young and God created it in 6 literal days. Modern scientific consensus is profoundly wrong. But science, when done properly with YEC assumptions, actually shows a young earth. Dinosaurs co-existed with mankind and there were dinosaurs on Noah's ark.

OR

2. The earth is young and God created it in 6 literal days. Modern science is not wrong. It's right. However, God created a mature world with apparent age. God created trees with rings. Adam appeared 30 years old when in reality he was only 1 day old. God created the earth with oil deposits in it. And God created the world with dinosaur bones in it. But dinosaurs did not actually walk the earth.
Both of these views have some level of absurdity, but I think that route (1) above is most absurd of the two. Since I hold to the RDV I am forced to admit that (2) above is the case, although it also has some absurdities of its own.

Anyway, the Creation Museum has further convinced me that there is no way that (1) above is true.

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And God created the world with dinosaur bones in it. But dinosaurs did not actually walk the earth.
I don't think God is a trickster and that is exactly what this would be, a deception.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟917,196.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
That both interpretations require that humans are inherently fallible, but your personal interpretation of the Bible to be inerrant is problematic.

However, isn't the second option depicting your God as a trickster and deceiver?

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If one holds to biblical inerrancy then it's the most cogent view.

I hold to biblical inerrancy and don't have to cling to RDV. it is not cogent to hold to the RDV due to the nature of the bible and humans.

i'm just saying, your assumption is RDV. what does your assumption look like without RDV?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I had the privilege of spending the day at the Creation Museum recently. Here's my thoughts...

It should first be noted that every view in relation to Genesis 1 and making sense of it in light of modern science has problems - including views that allow for theistic evolution.

While I hold to the "Regular Day View" (the days in Genesis 1 correspond to normal days), I do not see eye-to-eye with the Creation Museum. There are really only two routes to go if one holds to the RDV. The CM goes one way and I go another. Either:
  1. The earth is young and God created it in 6 literal days. Modern scientific consensus is profoundly wrong. But science, when done properly with YEC assumptions, actually shows a young earth. Dinosaurs co-existed with mankind and there were dinosaurs on Noah's ark.

OR

2. The earth is young and God created it in 6 literal days. Modern science is not wrong. It's right. However, God created a mature world with apparent age. God created trees with rings. Adam appeared 30 years old when in reality he was only 1 day old. God created the earth with oil deposits in it. And God created the world with dinosaur bones in it. But dinosaurs did not actually walk the earth.
Both of these views have some level of absurdity, but I think that route (1) above is most absurd of the two. Since I hold to the RDV I am forced to admit that (2) above is the case, although it also has some absurdities of its own.

Anyway, the Creation Museum has further convinced me that there is no way that (1) above is true.
So you believe in a dishonest God that told a story with the Earth that he made that is not true.

Both of your creationist views are wrong. Like it or not the theory of evolution is demonstrably correct.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Then perhaps you should drop your "biblical inerrancy" beliefs.

he does not have to drop them like an atheist would, he can have a better understanding of what that means and he would be fine.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
he does not have to drop them like an atheist would, he can have a better understanding of what that means and he would be fine.

One can accept reality and still be a Christian. One does not have to read Genesis literally. It still fits the verse on being "profitable for instruction".

Upvote 0

ubicaritas

sinning boldly
Jul 22, 2017
Orlando
✟68,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
My understanding is that #2 isn't a deception on the part of God, it implies that human beings have misunderstood the scientific data.

I still think its a stretch but I believe it reconciles better with science than #1, which says that science must be directly challenged in the interests of having a Christian faith.

Upvote 0

sethrak

Aug 7, 2017
El Dorado County, California
✟49,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I promise to go back and read fully the posts that have come before.

I think: A thousand years are as a day to the Lord~that man and the big animals called dinosaurs were here at the same time~ I believe they died because of man, weather, the flood and maybe because of a happening I've not though of or mentioned~that the earth is 12-20,000 years old, older of younger~not the millions, billions or trillions or older spouted by those we've taught in our schools. Annnnd I think the history in buried bone of everything from smallest to the largest animal shows that. And that God created all that is, that God always was, that there is Good which is God and Evil which has been described to us in and we have spoken of and sometimes written.

That Our God came here to us and He lived with us and gathered us in His Yegyegetsi Church that the Evil also has churches, tho they are maybe not called churches.

I believe in One God, The Father Almighty, The Son, The Holy Spirit as one~I don't plan to say the Creed here~

seth

Does the World’s Top Weed Killer Cause Cancer? Trump’s EPA Will Decide

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟917,196.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
My understanding is that #2 isn't a deception on the part of God, it implies that human beings have misunderstood the scientific data.

I still think its a stretch but I believe it reconciles better with science than #1, which says that science must be directly challenged in the interests of having a Christian faith.
The common comparison is to the creation of Adam, given that he was a grown man who could talk, but had recently been created.

However, the level of detail recorded in the Earth, like the remains of rivers, oceans, the bones of vanished plants and animals is more akin to creating Adam with a faded tattoo, an appendix scar, memories of going fishing with his father and playing tag with his siblings.

I'm not saying that anything is impossible for an omnipotent deity, but planting fake evidence of a detailed history can not be interpreted in any other way than deception.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Reactions: sethrak
Upvote 0

sethrak

Aug 7, 2017
El Dorado County, California
✟49,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh, like 24hours~times 6~that makes~I think more as I've written~a day is as a thousands a bit more or less. I'll tell you about Mount Saint Helen some time`in a thread.
Glad you came by~

• Friendly
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0