Northeast
✟180,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First, if keeping the law is legalism to you...
It isn't, necessarily.

...how is it no big deal to keep the law as legalism is attempting to obey God throughour own power.
Right, don't get into legalism :)

And why have you been telling me this for the entire time we have been discussing scripture?
Telling you what, exactly? Mostly what I've been doing is asking you questions.

I do say that the entire law is fulfilled in the instruction to love your neighbor as yourself

It makes no sense to me.
I'm not sure if I'm following you.
Your post so far doesn't really make sense to me, either :)

Second, why do you take 1 Corinthians 10: 27 so far out of context? The entire context is about eating food offered to idols.

Paul goes on to the end of the chapter speaking of foods offered to idols
Yes, and what kind of food was offered to idols? And if you were eating at the house of an unbeliever, do you have to be concerned about whether the food was offered to idols?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It isn't, necessarily.

Right, don't get into legalism :)

Telling you what, exactly? Mostly what I've been doing is asking you questions.

I do say that the entire law is fulfilled in the instruction to love your neighbor as yourself

I'm not sure if I'm following you.
Your post so far doesn't really make sense to me, either :)

Yes, and what kind of food was offered to idols? And if you were eating at the house of an unbeliever, do you have to be concerned about whether the food was offered to idols?
It doesn't matter as Paul ate only clean meats and his advice was not to eat food offered to idols. The idea of eating unclean meats was not on his horizon, or the Jerusalem council members, as the instructions from the Jerusalem council was only about eating foods offered to idols

Yeah you've been mainly asking me questions but the thought behind them is legalism bad, not literally obeying the 4th commandment good.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't matter as Paul ate only clean meats and his advice was not to eat food offered to idols.
It matters a great deal. Weren't we just talking about how blood has to be drained very carefully in order to be removed from meat? I don't think the pagan priests were doing that, or following the instructions in the law of Moses about the handling of meat.

The idea of eating unclean meats was not on his horizon, or the Jerusalem council members, as the instructions from the Jerusalem council was only about eating foods offered to idols
One of the reasons why food sacrificed idols was a question was that it almost certainly wasn't going to be clean imo.

Yeah you've been mainly asking me questions but the thought behind them is legalism bad,
We both agree with that :)

...not literally obeying the 4th commandment good.
No, I don't think that. A person can obey the letter of the fourth commandment if they wish. I don't think it's required.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It matters a great deal. Weren't we just talking about how blood has to be drained very carefully in order to be removed from meat? I don't think the pagan priests were doing that, or following the instructions in the law of Moses about the handling of meat.

One of the reasons why food sacrificed idols was a question was that it almost certainly wasn't going to be clean imo.

We both agree with that :)

No, I don't think that. A person can obey the letter of the fourth commandment if they wish. I don't think it's required.
That still doesn't make sense sense from my perspective. Not everything offered as a sacrifice as an animal. The poor had to be able to bring a sacrifice too and to some of them an animal would have been too expensive. Just like the Jewish offering system the poor didn't have to bring a lamb. Sometimes all they could afford was a meal offering and I can't imagine the pagans all being wealthy enough to afford an animal.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That still doesn't make sense sense from my perspective. Not everything offered as a sacrifice as an animal. The poor had to be able to bring a sacrifice too and to some of them an animal would have been too expensive. Just like the Jewish offering system the poor didn't have to bring a lamb. Sometimes all they could afford was a meal offering and I can't imagine the pagans all being wealthy enough to afford an animal.
Well... Vegetables and grains can become unclean through improper handling.

But about the pagan sacrifices, my impression was that wealthy people or the city itself would pay for animals to be sacrificed at the temples. One of the important Greek myths is that Prometheus told their ancestors they could just put the skin and the bones on the altar, the gods couldn't tell the difference. So now the Greeks were free to eat the meat.

The meat that had gone through the sacrifice system was cheaper than that which was just brought by a farmer into the marketplace attempting to make a profit. That's what I heard.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well... Vegetables and grains can become unclean through improper handling.

But about the pagan sacrifices, my impression was that wealthy people or the city itself would pay for animals to be sacrificed at the temples. One of the important Greek myths is that Prometheus told their ancestors they could just put the skin and the bones on the altar, the gods couldn't tell the difference. So now the Greeks were free to eat the meat.

The meat that had gone through the sacrifice system was cheaper than that which was just brought by a farmer into the marketplace attempting to make a profit. That's what I heard.
I sometimes wonder about you and your inability to think. Sorry, it just had to be said. So pagans who worship demons, for that Paul calls them, have enough love in them to pay for the sacrifices of others?

1Co_10:20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

Is it any wonder that the Jerusalem council forbade the eating of things sacrificed to idols?

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I sometimes wonder about you and your inability to think. Sorry, it just had to be said.
:heart:
So pagans who worship demons, for that Paul calls them, have enough love in them to pay for the sacrifices of others?
They weren't paying for the sacrifices of others, as I understand it. They were trying to get a blessing from the god. There was meat left over. The temple would then sell that meat.

Is it any wonder that the Jerusalem council forbade the eating of things sacrificed to idols?
Right, it's forbidden in Acts, but then Paul says you can buy whatever in the marketplace. There's a real chance some of that will have been sacrificed to idols. That leads me to believe that the instruction in Acts were for a particular time and place.

Also, you can go to the house of an unbeliever and eat whatever they're having. Again, sold out the back of a temple is a real possibility. But there's no need to ask any questions.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
:heart:

They weren't paying for the sacrifices of others, as I understand it. They were trying to get a blessing from the god. There was meat left over. The temple would then sell that meat.

Right, it's forbidden in Acts, but then Paul says you can buy whatever in the marketplace. There's a real chance some of that will have been sacrificed to idols. That leads me to believe that the instruction in Acts were for a particular time and place.

Also, you can go to the house of an unbeliever and eat whatever they're having. Again, sold out the back of a temple is a real possibility. But there's no need to ask any questions.
That is not Paul's meaning nor what he said. He's referring to matters of conscience, and how to keep their conscience clean.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is not Paul's meaning nor what he said. He's referring to matters of conscience, and how to keep their conscience clean.
He says to eat whatever they're having. I think that's very much his meaning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul is saying don't ask.
Cool! And the meat could have been sacrificed to idols, right?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Cool! And the meat could have been sacrificed to idols, right?

Well the food anyway. It;s not like all people eat is meat.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Not absolutely, that's true. But it's the common meaning. Is it important? Is it okay to eat vegetables sacrificed to an idol?
Only according to Paul;s instructions.

• Friendly
Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0