USA
✟480,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think it’s important to note that God separated His laws from the very beginning. Many want to lump all laws and commandments as one, when God did not. This is an important distinction because once we get to the New Testament we see what exactly ended when Christ became our sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins we won’t make the mistake of claiming “all laws” ended, when they did not.

Genesis 26:5
because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws.”

Nehemiah 9:13
“You came down also on Mount Sinai, And spoke with them from heaven, And gave them just ordinances and true laws, Good statutes and commandments.

2 Chronicles 33:8
and I will not again remove the foot of Israel from the land which I have appointed for your fathers—only if they are careful to do all that I have commanded them, according to the whole law and the statutes and the ordinances by the hand of Moses.”

So here we have ordinances, law, statues and commandments. And Moses gave the ordinances by his “hand”.

When we get to the New Covenant God writes His laws in our hearts and mind- so they didn’t end in the New Covenant. Jeremiah 31:33 Hebrews 8:10-12

I hope and pray for those seeking to do the will of God if you are going to write out obeying God’s commandments you would have clear scripture stating so, if one is seeking to do the will of God and not our own.

I have yet to see one verse that says when Jesus died all laws have ended at the cross which some teach.

This is what ended from scriptures:

Col 2: 14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

God’s Ten Commandments is God-written- the finger of God Exodus 31:18 and this includes Ten Commandments Exodus 34:28 not nine or eight. God’s law is holy, just and good Romans 7:12 and not grievous 1 John 5:3

What ended was only the law of Moses contained in ordinances. Eph 2:15 that was handwritten not God-written by Moses 1 Cor 33:8

When Jesus died He became our perfect sacrifice for sins, so we no longer are required to sacrifice blood and food offerings as shown in Hebrews 10 because Jesus took the place.

Does this mean that all laws have ended? Of course not and shown throughout the entire scripture. Lawlessness (without law) in unbiblical. The definition of sin is lawlessness 1 John 3:4 and the law just points out sin so we know what to keep. Romans 3:20, Romans 7:7 and breaking one of the commandments is like breaking them all. James 2:10-12

Jesus did not come to destroy God’s law He came to magnify (make greater not lesser). Isaiah 42:21 Matthew 5:17-30 He showed us an the example how to live our lives (without sin)

1 Peter 2: 21 For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps: 22 “Who committed no sin, Nor was deceit found in His mouth”

The scripture states the Holy Spirit will teach us all things. John 14:26 We receive the Holy Spirit to convict us of sins (lawlessness) John 16:8 (those who have not harden their hearts). Jesus gives us the Holy Spirit when we want to keep the commandments John 14:15-18 so we don’t have to do it on our own and the Spirit is given when we obey. Acts 2:38, Acts 5:32 so if you want to truly understand scripture we need to obey and the Holy Spirit will be our guide to teach us all things. The Holy Spirit will never guide you away from God’s law. That spirit does not come from God.

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

Who do you think wants us to sin (lawlessness- without law-breaking God’s law). Scripture tells us:

He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8

I hope those seeking God in Truth and Spirit which is how we are called to worship Him John 4:23-24 will prayerfully read the scriptures in this post and ask the Holy Spirit to guide us in all Truth and ask God to replace our will, for His will, because when Jesus comes we don’t want to hear these words…

Matthew 7:
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’(Without law).

Last edited:

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,923.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think there is the law and then there is the spirit of the law. Although strict adherence to law as cited in the Old Testament may have passed away, I believe the spirt of the law remains. Those things God likes, He still likes. Those things he didn't like, He still doesn't like.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Ten Commandments of Exodus 34:12-26 are a quite different than Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5.
Thats because God was speaking in Exodus 20. Moses was repeating them in Deuteronomy 5.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think there is the law and then there is the spirit of the law. Although strict adherence to law as cited in the Old Testament may have passed away, I believe the spirt of the law remains. Those things God likes, He still likes. Those things he didn't like, He still doesn't like.

I think if one is keeping the Spirit of the law, the letter is automatically kept. Jesus came to magnify the law Isaiah 42:21, which means make greater, not destroy and used an example of this by quoting from the Ten- Murder begins in the heart. Matthew 5:17-30 The whole point of the scripture is to have a changed heart, which is what the New Covenant is about and why the laws are written in the heart. Hebrews 8:10 When we change our thoughts and feelings of hate and anger towards our neighbor to ones of love and compassion, the thought of murder won't enter our minds, so the literal commandment "thou shalt not murder" would automatically be kept. This is living by the Spirit, and we can test ourselves by breaking any one of the commandments. There is a spiritual aspect to everyone of the Ten Commandments that when living by the Spirit the letter is also kept.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,271.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thats because God was speaking in Exodus 20. Moses was repeating them in Deuteronomy 5.
It was the tablets in Exodus 34 that Moses chiseled and put in the ark. Was it not?
Have you read them?

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It was the tablets in Exodus 34 that Moses chiseled and put in the ark. Was it not?
Have you read them?
The tablets in the ark are found here Exodus 20 Exodus 34:28, written by the finger of God. Exodus 31:18. Only these commandments are in the ark of the covenant in the Most Holy of God's Temple where He dwells and is revealed in heaven. Revelation 11:19

• Useful
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,923.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think if one is keeping the Spirit of the law, the letter is automatically kept.

I don't entirely disagree, except to say that adherence to the law alone is no longer the sole basis for one's salvation. Yet, there was a reason those things were law, and because of that we should still pay attention to them. I suspect God doesn't change his mind very often.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't entirely disagree, except to say that adherence to the law alone is no longer the sole basis for one's salvation.

I agree, salvation is by grace through faith. None of us deserve grace because we all have sinned, thats why its a gift. The gift of grace is available to all who has faith. Faith is not passive. The fruit of a man is what shows if one has faith.

Scripture shows us the fruit of a saved person.

Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

Being obedient to God and His law is not what saves. It’s our faith in Him and we want to obey Him through our faith because we have a changed heart. This is a fruit of a saved person. Jesus promises we don’t have to do this alone, for those who want to obey He provides us with the Holy Spirit. John 14:15-18, Acts 5:32. If we stumble and fall, we can go directly to Jesus who is just and will forgive us when we repent. We repent because we are sorry and want to have a changed heart. When we commit ourselves to Christ and want to walk with Him in obedience thats when we should be baptized as a symbol of a new birth in Christ. Acts 2:38

Yet, there was a reason those things were law, and because of that we should still pay attention to them. I suspect God doesn't change his mind very often.

I agree. The law is perfect converting the soul Psalm 19:7-14. God's law is God's will for us Psalms 40:8 and we obey because this is love to God and we have a changed heart. Exodus 20:6, John 14:15. 1 John 5:3. God's law reflects the character of God and He is the same yesterday, and today and forever Hebrews 13:8 so I agree. God bless!

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,271.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The tablets in the ark are found here Exodus 20 Exodus 34:28, written by the finger of God. Exodus 31:18. Only these commandments are in the ark of the covenant in the Most Holy of God's Temple where He dwells and is revealed in heaven. Revelation 11:19
So we can disregard some of the ones in Exodus 34 such as

8 “Celebrate the Festival of Unleavened Bread. For seven days eat bread made without yeast, as I commanded you. Do this at the appointed time in the month of Aviv, for in that month you came out of Egypt.

19 “The first offspring of every womb belongs to me, including all the firstborn males of your livestock, whether from herd or flock. 20 Redeem the firstborn donkey with a lamb, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem all your firstborn sons.

“No one is to appear before me empty-handed.

22 “Celebrate the Festival of Weeks with the firstfruits of the wheat harvest, and the Festival of Ingathering at the turn of the year. 23 Three times a year all your men are to appear before the Sovereign Lord, the God of Israel. 24 I will drive out nations before you and enlarge your territory, and no one will covet your land when you go up three times each year to appear before the Lord your God.

25 “Do not offer the blood of a sacrifice to me along with anything containing yeast, and do not let any of the sacrifice from the Passover Festival remain until morning.

26 “Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the Lord your God.

“Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.”

Even though listed right with you the others?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So we can disregard some of the ones in Exodus 34 such as

8 “Celebrate the Festival of Unleavened Bread. For seven days eat bread made without yeast, as I commanded you. Do this at the appointed time in the month of Aviv, for in that month you came out of Egypt.

19 “The first offspring of every womb belongs to me, including all the firstborn males of your livestock, whether from herd or flock. 20 Redeem the firstborn donkey with a lamb, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem all your firstborn sons.

“No one is to appear before me empty-handed.

22 “Celebrate the Festival of Weeks with the firstfruits of the wheat harvest, and the Festival of Ingathering at the turn of the year. 23 Three times a year all your men are to appear before the Sovereign Lord, the God of Israel. 24 I will drive out nations before you and enlarge your territory, and no one will covet your land when you go up three times each year to appear before the Lord your God.

25 “Do not offer the blood of a sacrifice to me along with anything containing yeast, and do not let any of the sacrifice from the Passover Festival remain until morning.

26 “Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the Lord your God.

“Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.”

Even though listed right with you the others?
We follow the New Covenant, the only laws that ended as per the scriptures are the law of ordinances/ceremonial laws found in the law of Moses. Colossians 2:14 Hebrews 10. This includes all the sacrificial system of food and animal offerings for the forgiveness of sin which pointed to Jesus when He became our perfect Sacrifice for our sins and sanctification. Circumcision ended and baptism replaced it as a symbol being cleansed from our sins when we choose to walk with Christ in His Spirit. What has not changed are the commandments of God as Paul clearly tells us Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters. 1 Cor 7:19

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,271.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We follow the New Covenant, the only laws that ended as per the scriptures are the law of ordinances/ceremonial laws found in the law of Moses. Colossians 2:14 Hebrews 10. This includes all the sacrificial system of food and animal offerings for the forgiveness of sin which pointed to Jesus when He became our perfect Sacrifice for our sins and sanctification. Circumcision ended and baptism replaced it as a symbol being cleansed from our sins when we choose to walk with Christ in His Spirit. What has not changed are the commandments of God as Paul clearly tells us Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters. 1 Cor 7:19
You sure make it complicated.

These are not sacrificial and they are not ordinances. They are commands listed with some, but not all of the others. :

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You sure make it complicated.

These are not sacrificial and they are not ordinances. They are commands listed with some, but not all of the others. :

These are the ceremonial yearly festivals that include food and drink offerings that all point to Christ.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,271.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
These are the ceremonial yearly festivals that include food and drink offerings that all point to Christ.
Well, in all honesty, most everything points to Christ..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well, in all honesty, most everything points to Christ.
Not everything has ended. For example, the Sabbath does not point to Christ on the cross is points to Creation as a memorial of everything our God has created for us "Remember", the Sabbath day to keep it holy" pointing to Genesis 2:1-3

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,271.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not everything has ended. For example, the Sabbath does not point to Christ on the cross is points to Creation as a memorial of everything our God has created for us "Remember", the Sabbath day to keep it holy" pointing to Genesis 2:1-3
It most certainly points to Christ.

And it is a memorial of liberation from slavery.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This thread is not intended to debate the 4th commandment specifically so please do not discuss/debate the Sabbath in this thread as it is not allowed per the forum guidelines. The intent of this thread is to look at what laws if any ended at the cross. I think it’s important to note that God separated His laws from the very beginning.

Many want to lump all laws and commandments as one, when God did not.

That's what many people say.
The first issue is that the Bible is not needed to know God's intent.
It's not even mentioned below.

Romans 1:20
For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

Romans 1:19
For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them.

Isaiah 40:26
Lift up your eyes on high and see: who created these? He who brings out their host by number, calling them all by name, by the greatness of his might, and because he is strong in power not one is missing.

Psalm 19:1-6
To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge. There is no speech, nor are there words, whose voice is not heard. Their voice goes out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them he has set a tent for the sun, which comes out like a bridegroom leaving his chamber, and, like a strong man, runs its course with joy.

Psalm 33:6-9
By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and by the breath of his mouth all their host. He gathers the waters of the sea as a heap; he puts the deeps in storehouses. Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him! For he spoke, and it came to be; he commanded, and it stood firm.

Psalm 8:3
When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,

Romans 2:15
They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them

And second, there is support for the key to all scripture:

Matthew 5:17
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

“Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
“This is the first and great commandment.“And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.“On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets” Matt. 22:37–40

also
Gal. 5:14
14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Thats a clear summation or foundation.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It most certainly points to Christ.

And it is a memorial of liberation from slavery.

Yes, we are all a slave in a world full of sin waiting to be delivered by our Savior and only Jesus through His Word and instructions can deliver us into our promise land, just like He did for the Israelites. Many of them did not make it to the promise land due to disobedience Hebrews 4:6 and we are warned not to come short of entering His spiritual rest Hebrews 4:1 which is why the keeping of the Sabbath remains for the people of God Hebrews 4:9 and to enter into the spiritual rest in Christ one must also cease from their work (Sabbath- Exodus 20:8-11) just like God ceased from His work on the Sabbath day Genesis 2:1-3. Hebrews 4:10

Last edited:
Upvote 0