Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
We live in the age of fashionable victimhood. No one’s responsible for their own behavior, their own choices in life, because Mommy did this or Daddy did that. “I’m an alcoholic because my parents divorced.” No, you’re an alcoholic because you repeatedly make a conscious choice to drink. Your parents’ divorce decree didn’t pour that booze down your neck; you did.

I knew people growing up who had real problems at home, problems that should have landed one or both parents in prison for a long, long time. So when I hear someone blame their self-destructive choices in life on the fact that their parents got a divorce, it falls on deaf ears. The Bible is pretty big on taking responsibility for our own actions. Perhaps you should reread it starting with Genesis 3 and keep going until you get to the end.

You need to stop pretending that your individual slanted view is somehow a universal truth. It’s not.

The people in the stands always know more about the game than those of us on the field. :clap:
...and God's people said AAAAAAMMMENNNNN!!!

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Elliewaves

Untouchable internet saint
Dec 18, 2011
✟100,814.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
While I agree that people need to think of their children and options before hastily jumping to divorce and try to give their marriage a chance(not everyone does divorce hastily or w/o thinking btw), I don't believe it does any good to ground down divorcees into the ground, refuse to help them or encourage others not to help them, or imply that children of divorce are beyond redemption. I think that's flat out oppposite of what Christ preaches. When your life is messy and hurt and broken (which is ALL of us in humanity for different reasons) we can be redeemed through a savior and God is Father to the fatherless. That counts for something. There is hope and (yes even) redemption for children of divorce. And I'm sure that divorced parents DO love their children and are trying to do the best that they can for them. To imply that there is no love there and that divorced parents are just mindlessly doing whatever is not reality for probably the majority of divorcees.

ETA: I had no idea it was more Christian to NOT try and help single parents (single for whatever reason). Or maybe it's only Christian to help widowed parents, but divorcees and never married parents can slug it out themselves and struggle , struggle hard, b/c it's all their fault they are in that position and their kids deserve no kindness or help of any kind (they should have thought twice before being born into that kind of family). Personally I try to help single parents of all kinds if they need it b/c I thought Jesus would want me to if I can; the whole good Samaritian thing and what you do to the least of these and all. If I can't help them with something, I say no and try to point them to someone who can help them and don't carry a grudge against them for asking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
To imply that there is no love there and that divorced parents are just mindlessly doing whatever is not reality for probably the majority of divorcees.
Agreed...except of course, in some folks' own narrow mind.........

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Well you havent said anything about the effects on her CHILDREN i.e your husband. This is talking about the CHILDREN not the divorcees. Maybe they have a wonderful life after but the children? You havent said ONE word about that. Again the childen are completely ignored.
Fine.

My mother-in-laws's marriage ended early one evening when the good reverend came home to his three daughters , age 12, 10 and 6 were had arts and crafted the dining room to an inch of it's life and his son, age 14 months, was having some sort of very loud meltdown in the midst of it and his wife was doing nothing about either as she was trying to get finish cooking dinner. of course she had no good excuse as to why dinner was late instead telling him what a bad day it had been and dinner would ready as soon as it is ready and his complaining wasn't helping anything and maybe he should go see why his son is having a tantrum. So the good reverend went over to his screaming son, picked him up by a leg and slammed him into the kitchen wall breaking 9 bones in the process. My wife's mother did what any reasonable woman would do in that situation, she used the frying pan in her hand to smack her husband upside the head knocking him out but not for very long. When my future mother in law and her children arrived at the emergency room the police were waiting there for her, handcuffs ready. The good reverend had reported her attack on his son and her attempt to kill her loving husband with a frying pan. She was unstable and prone to drink you know. While trying to work out what happened one of the officers or a nurse (my wife says she really can't remember who asked her sisters what) but does remember it was her oldest sister that dropped the bomb about how dad had been sexually abusing her for as long as she could remember which led my wife and her sister to share they had been victim as well, something the hospital medical staff was able to confirm right there.

Did the lives of the children improve immediately when their father went to jail and the divorce happened? Not immediately. As the reverend's family they lived in the house provided by their church and the congregation refused to believe the charges and they had to leave their home within days of the arrest. But eventually things got much better.

I'm sure you've heard this sort of sob story from selfish divorcees before.

• Prayers
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
A friend and I were discussing a divorcee mutual friend because we are concerned about her daughter that shes been lashing out on her unfairly after the divorce for the daughter being too friendly with her dad.

Friend has said divorcee needs counselling to deal with putting the past behind her and realising divorce hasnt actually resolved anything it seems to have created more issues but she really needs counselling over it, otherwise shes hurting her daughter. But we arent the counsellors, i think she needs to get to the root of the issue, and find it in Her heart to forgive her ex.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think maybe its a pride thing but you wether admit you made a mistake or you made an unwise decision in marrying a liar, cheater or adulterer...and then go on from there, cos well it does take two to marry. People can be incredibly self deceiving. And if you can say well I was stupid and shouldnt have done that I am wiser now thats a big step. Same for divorce..splitting up a home is a BIG thing even for adult children. Not being able to see your parents together IS a big deal.

Its the children that are really paying the consequnces of that unwise choice. How long does it take to maybe just ask a few pertinent questions BEFORE you marry.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
We live in the age of fashionable victimhood. No one’s responsible for their own behavior, their own choices in life, because Mommy did this or Daddy did that. “I’m an alcoholic because my parents divorced.” No, you’re an alcoholic because you repeatedly make a conscious choice to drink. Your parents’ divorce decree didn’t pour that booze down your neck; you did.

I knew people growing up who had real problems at home, problems that should have landed one or both parents in prison for a long, long time. So when I hear someone blame their self-destructive choices in life on the fact that their parents got a divorce, it falls on deaf ears. The Bible is pretty big on taking responsibility for our own actions. Perhaps you should reread it starting with Genesis 3 and keep going until you get to the end.

You need to stop pretending that your individual slanted view is somehow a universal truth. It’s not.

The people in the stands always know more about the game than those of us on the field. :clap:
Uh...my pareents arent divorced.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not an advocate for divorce and hope this post isn't misconstrued to conclude that I am, but I feel compelled to share that it's not always a detriment to children, and can actually in some circumstances be a benefit. It certainly has been for me, because my parents' amicable divorce lead to me being blessed with stepparents who are as devoted to my welfare and happiness, and loving step-grandparents I completely adore and am cherished by as much as I am by my biological family. I've grown up nuzzled by love. My parents have always worked out any disputes, all logistics, and everything of that nature on their own. They've provided me with a stable, united, loving, and good family life. Not once has any of them ever said a malicious word about the other in my presence, or shown anything but respect towards one another. I've been sparred of the conflicts, stresses, and grief that some kids with divorced parents experience.

The only mild negative for me is that having four overprotective parents can lead to far more frustrations for a teen than two, haha.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Look at Genesis 4. Abel and cain. Dont think that abel and cain were not affected by their PARENTS actions and the way they were raised. Were adam and eve even together after the serpent effectively split them up and got them to blame each other? Look again...sin is handed down ..cain asking 'am i my brothers keeper?' Where did he learn that from I wonder?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not an advocate for divorce and hope this post isn't misconstrued to conclude that I am, but I feel compelled to share that it's not always a detriment to children, and can actually in some circumstances be a benefit. It certainly has been for me, because my parents' amicable divorce lead to me being blessed with stepparents who are as devoted to my welfare and happiness, and loving step-grandparents I completely adore and am cherished by as much as I am by my biological family. I've grown up nuzzled by love. My parents have always worked out any disputes, all logistics, and everything of that nature on their own. They've provided me with a stable, united, loving, and good family life. Not once has any of them ever said a malicious word about the other in my presence, or shown anything but respect towards one another. I've been sparred of the conflicts, stresses, and grief that some kids with divorced parents experience.

The only mild negative for me is that having four overprotective parents can lead to far more frustrations for a teen than two, haha.
Hm four parents...if they split up and marry again would you have eight. Are your parents christians why did they divorce? If you dont mind me asking. Did God say to themit was a good idea? Or was it God worked through them depsiteite diovrces.

Im just dealing with the fallout from the many that arent hand,ing it so well. Maybe your parents are well off. Money sems to help in many case for the wealthier marrieds, it can actually be a way to. Move up a class...ive heard of the ohephenomenon of starrter wives.it seem to only work if the ones that split up marry another split up couple. The child then ends up pretty spoiled out of it. But thats really only if the step parents are the wealthy type with cash to spare. I guess depends if you can see that love is more than just having a comfortable lifestyle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I flatted a while with a lady that was split from a partner she had two children with, she had a bf at the time, and her ex he had a gf so, it kind of SEEMED like they were happy since the parents werent solo or single. But still for the children a LOT of disruption and actually the other chikdren of the ex werent allowed to set foot in the other house. Like she would have got a court order on them if they did.

The children then kind of had two dads and two mums but these two dads didnt talk to each other and the two mums didnt either. So when you think about it its weird. Why not...just buy a huge house and all live together then. Save money. And travel expenses.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was just an observer on this weird kind of messed up family. They did seem normal, nice people but I think those two children (whos parents werent married anyway) but later the mum married the bf after having a child..well those two missed out on a lot, the other child of the marriage would have been a bit more stable. However her dad was adivorcee but he didnt have any childrn from the previous marriage. I kind of wondered if that meant anything. It just meant theres a trail of broken homes and hearts needing mending and yes I did witness fights and dramas when it looked like the bf might have withdrawn his support. I think its harder for people to be solo. If they are with children and they dont immrediately latch on to someone else its going to be a hard road. But then again how do we know further down the track whether that marriage will last, whether those children are learning any values. The now wife said she called a PI on her ex at one point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I do think in the end it just came down to money. Some people are like that..see marriage as a deal or business contract, not a covenant. Therefore no harm in liquidating it. Never meant anything in the first place. It was just a venture that didnt work out, now they have a better deal.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I do think that for children..parents ARE responsible. They cannot abdicate responisbility for their vital growing up years which is why Jesus loved them so much, before they even know right from wrong.

People that grow up, like one of my friends did, in an environment where she had no idea if her dad was going to be lashing out at her mum or later if she was ever even able to see him again arent going to be protected when it come to forming own relationships with the opposite sex. When you believe lies your parents tell you from an early age you more prone to believe every other lie when you grow up. I dont know why she chose to starve herself and drink and choose the wrong guys. But going through a trauma like a parents divorce when young i think doesnt help. And then not even able to call on her parents for help and having to effectively parent her parents on top of that well I dont know, thats not a good thing is it?

I think not.

When Joseph was thinking of quitely divorcing Mary cos she was having someone elses child did God think that was a good idea? Um...noooo

Lets see, Mary could have been a solo mum to Jesus or maybe even married someone richer than Joseph, and been better off. Couldnt she?

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hm four parents...if they split up and marry again would you have eight. Are your parents christians why did they divorce? If you dont mind me asking. Did God say to themit was a good idea? Or was it God worked through them depsiteite diovrces.

Im just dealing with the fallout from the many that arent hand,ing it so well. Maybe your parents are well off. Money sems to help in many case for the wealthier marrieds, it can actually be a way to. Move up a class...ive heard of the ohephenomenon of starrter wives.it seem to only work if the ones that split up marry another split up couple. The child then ends up pretty spoiled out of it. But thats really only if the step parents are the wealthy type with cash to spare. I guess depends if you can see that love is more than just having a comfortable lifestyle.

My dad and stepdad are not the sort of men to have "starter wives"; my mom and stepmom are not the type of women to be attracted to men who are. My stepparents have comparable education and socioeconomic statuses to my biological parents. They are all professionals who meaningfully contribute to society, they all have independently earned financial stability, and they are all Christians. They married for love, not for financial or social gain. My parents have been very happily remarried for well over a decade to stepparents I love; I have little concern about them splitting up.

I sort of do mind you asking why my parents divorced, but I'll answer anyway. Catastrophic grief was the primary cause. Their firstborn died, and my prospects for survival had been bleak. Despite taking immaculate care of herself and using all due diligence throughout the pregnancies, my mom went into extremely premature labor with my sister and then later on with me. My sister died as an infant. Time doesn't ever really heal a wound that huge. I was born even earlier than she was, with a host of medical issues, and spent my first few months of life in the hospital. I finally was released and began to slowly flourish. They were given clearance to travel with me to see my grandparents. While there, my older brother's friend exposed me to chickenpox. I was still too young to have received the vaccination for it, so I contracted it from him, and with my body already being weakened it lacked the defenses to fight it off; it had a savage impact. It caused massive sepsis which put me back into the NICU for ages, and caused permanent damage. In addition to that extraordinary stress, my parents also endured multiple miscarriages, both lost very close family members and friends over the course of about seven years, and they dealt with my older brother being in an accident (one he fully recovered from, but was still very draining). All the grief made them sort of like two support beams which had both been severely battered and were weakening; it was hard to hold up the family.

My parents are people of faith, so I'm sure they were in prayer before divorcing. I do feel that my family, with my stepparents and the rest of their extended family as well, is a gift from God. I have no memories of my parents' divorce process, and they've worked together extremely well over the years to ensure that it didn't have a negative impact on my life. I love my stepparents. My stepdad had lost his first wife to cancer many years before he met my mom, and had learned how to find his way through grief. He helped her to make it through as well. My stepmom is very caring and loving, and she's a pediatrician, which has been beneficial with my health problems that plagued me throughout my childhood and are still an issue now in my teens.

I saw that you clicked the prayers button for me. Everyone, and each family can benefit from prayers, so thanks. I promise I don't need any due to my parents' divorce, though. Yes, there are many children who've been devastated by their parents' divorce. There are also many children who've been devastated by their parents' toxic or unhealthy marriage. It's all variable to the family. Money can have an impact on how well kids adapt to divorces and remarriages, but I think what's a greater factor to their peace and stability is the way the parents handle it. There are very wealthy parents who have bitter divorces and hostile custody battles, and there are far less wealthy ones who have amicable divorces and create harmony with their custody arrangements. My parents are genuine friends and have respect for one another. They've always made me and my siblings their priority, and worked together to raise us and provide us with nurturing, happy childhoods.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks for explaining standfordella i am only talkingabout the divorces and effects Ive witnessed among people around me that have been detrimental it doesnt mean to say that everyones experiences are the same. But i think a common factor is yes it is PAINFUL. Especially to witness on children...if your parents divorced amicably when you were too young to even remember that is kind of diifferent scenario but it still has its effects on you since you become quite defensive about it dont you?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ive read of many parents divorcing because of special needs children thinking they would be better off apart. It is really sad because actually being together is unity not being apart and having other people step in to take the burden. Yes take time out to mourn but dont isolate yourself and think it justv easier to fall into the arms of someone else. It might be for a temproary measure but it rarely works out , God tells us love nNEVERfails. Hopes all things, endures all things. jesus had parents coming to them asking him to heal their sick children. He never advocated diovrce for any of these parents unable to cope.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
i know of several parents the mums had miscarriages but that is never a valid reason for divorce. They stayed married and eventually had more children or they stayed married without them...they honored their vows. I do think that is true love when you remain faithful to each other. You may fail at one point like Peter did when he denies Jesus but Jesus forgave him and he became so full of faith after his conversion didnt he? Peterr I recall. Was rash and made a vow not to leave Jesus and follow him all his life. jesus saw this and held Peter to it.

I think this is what God sees even in marriages. You make a vow, you stick to it. If you ask for His help, hes going to help you! I saw this with a couple in my prayer group when it seemed like they were going to split..God brought them back together.

If you make a commitment, whether its to marry, or follow Jesus, God is going to hold you to it and see if you remain faithful to your profession. Calling it quits is not really ever an option. Its just people kind of think it is...well they deal with the consequences.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God tells us love nNEVERfails. Hopes all things, endures all things.

Also in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 God tells us love is kind and does not dishonor others. I'm not sure how kind and honorable it is to look down your nose judgmentally at people you don't even know, in whose situations you've never been. Standfordella was kind enough to answer your questions honestly and with extreme personal detail. And you've now used that to belittle her and her family in three consecutive posts.

If you're going to quote the scripture regarding the nature of Christian love, please first quote it to yourself with some introspection. Have a blessed day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks for explaining standfordella i am only talkingabout the divorces and effects Ive witnessed among people around me that have been detrimental it doesnt mean to say that everyones experiences are the same. But i think a common factor is yes it is PAINFUL. Especially to witness on children...if your parents divorced amicably when you were too young to even remember that is kind of diifferent scenario but it still has its effects on you since you become quite defensive about it dont you?

My parents' divorce led to positive effects on my life. Yes, I'm sure it was painful for them, and I know that it has required continuous effort throughout the years to coordinate their parenting so we experienced no detrimental impacts and instead only derived benefit. I have a much older brother who does vividly remember their divorce, and is not scarred by it in any way. Quite the contrary, he looks back at that time with respect for how well they handled it. He said they also did an excellent job shielding him from the stress, anxiety and grief from my hospitalizations, and that he had a very happy childhood. I have a stepsister who is in her 30s and has also felt blessed by her dad's (my stepdad) marriage to my mom. She was their maid of honor in the wedding, and my mom was the matron of honor in hers last year.

I was mildly defensive because I felt that your post was a bit hurtful and offensive, though I trust that wasn't your intent. I wanted to make it unequivocally clear that my parents' divorce and subsequent remarriages had no social or financial motives, and was done with grace and respect.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.