Logan City
✟757,786.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not American, so I'm not going to comment on the justice system or the sentence.

Even after he gets out, life will be a struggle. He'll have a criminal record for murder, the criminal underworld and the black population will know who he is, and it will be very difficult for him to find work.

Some former inmates reoffend just to get back inside - that way they know they'll get three square meals a day.

I remember seeing a very frustrated ex-prisoner on the TV here. He was tough, and he said that in prison he was "somebody" - he was feared. Outside he was nobody, couldn't get a job and struggled to live.

It's not surprising that a lot of them gravitate back to their old lifestyle - it's all they know, and they have no other prospects.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not American, so I'm not going to comment on the justice system or the sentence.

Even after he gets out, life will be a struggle. He'll have a criminal record for murder, the criminal underworld and the black population will know who he is, and it will be very difficult for him to find work.

Some former inmates reoffend just to get back inside - that way they know they'll get three square meals a day.

I remember seeing a very frustrated ex-prisoner on the TV here. He was tough, and he said that in prison he was "somebody" - he was feared. Outside he was nobody, couldn't get a job and struggled to live.

It's not surprising that a lot of them gravitate back to their old lifestyle - it's all they know, and they have no other prospects.

bad place for it...but the way you put it and what he did, sounds like he will reapply to the academy and go back to jail for shooting someone else on the force.

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
Certainly a random act of the environment caused it

Wasn't Floyd a reformed criminal who was active in his church and in charitable causes?

After Floyd's release, he became more involved with Resurrection Houston, a Christian church and ministry, where he mentored young men and posted anti-violence videos to social media.[9][15][41][35] He delivered meals to senior citizens and volunteered with other projects, such as the Angel By Nature Foundation, a charity founded by rapper Trae tha Truth.[42] Later he became involved with a ministry that brought men from the Third Ward to Minnesota in a church-work program with drug rehabilitation and job placement services.[15] A friend of Floyd acknowledged that Floyd "had made some mistakes that cost him some years of his life," but that he had been turning his life around through religion.[35]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Floyd

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

Wasn't Floyd a reformed criminal who was active in his church and in charitable causes?

Floyd struggled with drug addiction and a complicated past, I think that's the most charitable thing that can be said about the matter. He was trying to make his life better, but like alot of Americans in the past year he found himself caught up in overwhelming circumstances. None of that means he deserves the treatment he got.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

Frankly I find it difficult to understand how Mr. Chauvin could be worthy of anyone's pity or consideration.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Frankly I find it difficult to understand how Mr. Chauvin could be worthy of anyone's pity or consideration.
His sentence did reflect some consideration and pity. It could have been far worse. He got off rather lightly considering what he did.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

At least Floyd not a murderer. But a cop, that murder him is. No excuses to defend the murder cop.

Upvote 0