SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Derek Chauvin Sentenced for Murder of George Floyd
A Minnesota judge will sentence Derek Chauvin for the murder of George Floyd — a punishment that is being closely watched, with prosecutors requesting a 30-year sentence.

In April, a jury found the former Minneapolis police officer, who is white, guilty of murdering Floyd, who was Black, last year. The killing triggered massive protests against racial injustice and also prompted reviews of the police use of force — including how much the law should protect officers when someone dies in their custody.

Chauvin's punishment will be announced Friday afternoon; you can watch a livestream of the proceedings on this page. The sentencing hearing begins at 2:30 p.m. ET, but the judge won't announce his decision until after Floyd's loved ones have made victim impact statements in court.

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
It seems that MN law is you serve 2/3rds of your sentence in prison, the remaining 3rd on parole.
That is on the provision that the prisoner adheres to good conductm while incarcarated, does it not?

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is on the provision that the prisoner adheres to good conductm while incarcarated, does it not?
Not that I am aware of. Though crimes committed in prison could extend his sentence I'd assume, and if he's not behaving in prison I doubt he'd follow the rules while out on parole, so he'd be back in.

• Useful
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you have a reference for this?
Just what I've heard on the news and twitter. When they announced it, the panel on CNN was discussing how he'll only serve 2/3rds in prison as per MN law.

Also to note, IIRC, there are still federal charges he has to contend with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
If Larry Lawton's stories are anything to go by, then he's in for two decades of sheer and utter hell.

If I were him, I'd befriend the bible and maintain a low profile.

I'm pretty sure that he will be kept out of the general population.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The sentence is in keeping with the depraved indifference to human life he demonstrated. Especially as there were multiple witnesses begging him to stop.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

THIS THREAD NEEDS CLEANING!

th

LET'S WORK TOGETHER TO KEEP IT THIS WAY!

MOD HAT OFF

241642_7b806f26bb6b356d6acfdbc3b2ca67ff_thumb.jpg

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
For what? 2nd degree murder? Guess he's lucky he didn't commit the offence in Pennsylvania, then.
One has to be careful since the definition of the various degrees of murder vary by state. In Pennsylvania he may not have been accused of 2nd degree murder. But 15 years of actual prison time does seem to be on the low end to me.

Upvote 0