Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,996.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you think you can have the fruit of The Spirit if you don't love Yahweh or you decide to kill, steal, etc. ?

We're not talking about man made rules and guidelines. Guess it puzzles me why some want to disregard something written by the finger of Yahweh (Exo 31:18).

Last edited:
Reactions: woobadooba
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you saying being under grace means I am free to break the Ten Commandments of God? Can I now be lawless and do as I please with impunity because Jesus died for my sins?

You'll find your answer in how you keep the 4th commandment.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What sense is there in talking about a "Law" by which to live if there are no commands to observe?

Even though I said I wasn't going to participate any more, this arrived in my e-mail and I feel compelled to respond. Why?

This shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the difference between the two covenants between God and his people. Under the Old Covenant people needed external commands to tell them how to behave and what the consequences would be if the covenant was violated. Knowing how to behave was understood by the mind.

Under the New Covenant, Christians have received the Holy Spirit. He lives inside of us and guides our behavior. There is no need for external rules to be understood and obeyed; the motivation to love God and to love others comes from within. It becomes part of our character, who we are as people.

If you need commands, you are still a "spiritual child". If you are mature, living according to God's will is motivated from within.

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just because someone emphasizes the importance of keeping the Ten Commandments of God, it doesn't mean he or she is in bondage to a salvation by works theology.

The nonsense of accusing people of being legalistic for being in favor of keeping God's Ten Commandments, needs to stop.

Instead of jumping to conclusions about that person's relationship with God, ask questions for clarification.

Yes, we are saved by grace through faith, not by works (Eph. 2:8-9); but let's not forget that we were created for good works (v. 10).

When I look at God's Ten Commandments I see something good, not evil.
Hi I am not going to beat around the bush on this this is all about keeping the Sabbath day.
All other commandments including honor thy mother and father deal with immoral behavior. There is no neutral with your parents so this could be stated do not dishonor thy parents. The Sabbath in the new testament is not a once a week command. Here is Col 2 16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

again romans 14 on this subject
5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord;[fn] and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks. 7 For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself. 8 For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s. 9 For to this end Christ died and rose[fn] and lived again, that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living. 10 But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
Here is you consider that we should still keep the Sabbath go ahead and keep it but do not judge your brother who does not agree with you.

In Mark 7 And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. 28 Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.”

You see Jesus is the rest of the Sabbath as Hebbrews 3,4 teach about entering into the rest in Christ.

Gal 1 speaks about anyone coming to you with another gospel let them be accursed and I have had friends who went with 7th Day Adventist who target people already going to church rather than the unsaved to join them based on their view of the Sabbath. This group is one reason why the scriptures warn not to be led by every wind of doctrine. They start off with very basic Biblical truth and get you nodding yes yes and then introduce topics that you take in along with many very true statements. They teach that Sun Sabbath is the mark of the beast. They would never start you off with that but once you have been following that path you will end up there. The substance is Christ and the Lord Jesus is the rest we enter into.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the difference between the two covenants between God and his people.
No, what it shows is you still aren't willing to listen.

Words have no meaning without rules. Think about that...

Do you have more respect for a Stop sign than you have for the Ten Commandments?

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi I am not going to beat around the bush on this this is all about keeping the Sabbath day.
No, it's about keeping God's Ten Commandments, and not having a bad attitude towards those who emphasize their importance.

Don't derail the thread.

Upvote 0

Seymore Bell

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2017
Jackson, MS
✟49,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
And these characteristics have nothing to do with the Ten Commandments?
Do you think you can have the fruit of The Spirit if you don't love Yahweh or you decide to kill, steal, etc. ?

We're not talking about man made rules and guidelines. Guess it puzzles me why some want to disregard something written by the finger of Yahweh (Exo 31:18).

And these characteristics have nothing to do with the Ten Commandments?

Chap. Bell

These characteristics deal with the FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT.
Each Christian should have all of the nine virtues which is singular.
It's either, "Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, self-control. . . Or sour-face, judgmental, arrogant, self-righteousness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, it's about keeping God's Ten Commandments, and not having a bad attitude towards those who emphasize their importance.

Don't derail the thread.
Sorry there is no one on this thread that advocates lying, stealing, killing coveting or breaking any of the 10 commandments. So this does boil down to how one interprets keeping the Sabbath. I shared scriptures that clearly speak specifically on this issue. The substance is Christ he is Lord of the Sabbath we keep the Sabbath every day because we have entered into His rest. Also my point about those who make this the big issue fill their churches up not with converts through the gospel but through preaching the Sabbath and 10 commandments. I have experienced this several times along the way. You are convinced to keep Sat Sabbath and go ahead and remember not to judge others who do not agree with you. So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Ten Commandments are meant for people living under the Old Covenant. They have no bearing on the lives of those living under the New Covenant. We are not under law but under grace.

That's from Paul. And he needed over and over to address the Pharisee attitude that works and law were the means to obtain salvation.

Instead it is only given to us by His grace, from our faith.

But Paul also wrote to you and said -- “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ” (Galatians 6)

So, we are under the Law of Christ, even though we are only saved by grace and that only through faith.

Christ said "24“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

You might imagine some various things "great crash" means -- I think it means loss of faith, and thus loss of salvation, but you might think some other thing -- in any case, no matter which, I know I don't want to have my house collapse on my head! Sounds very bad. I will strive to obey Him instead.

Upvote 0

Seymore Bell

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2017
Jackson, MS
✟49,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I am done with this discussion. Your doctrine doesn't agree with scripture. Keep believing what you will, but I know the truth: we are dead to the law and alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Chap. Bell

How true this is:
"we are dead to the law and alive to God in Christ Jesus." Rom. 7:4
Now, "But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law."
Rom. 5:18

(Ye can not be under two tutors at the same time, this is an impossibility. The Law or the Spirit; I, myself choose the Spirit.

My GOD bless you!

Upvote 0

jannikitty

wise ole owl
Nov 22, 2011
Pacific NW.
✟28,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The ten commandments as in the Hebrew scriptures (Old Testament) are to yet be kept even though we are under a new covenant of Love because of Jesus's dying on the cross. Even unbelievers respect and follow them. Many of our current laws today are based on their principles, especially judicial even though they may not be quoted as such. They still are as such because of what they say. A basic example of that is "Thou shall not kill." In the days of ancient Israel surely the ten commandments were much more significant than all of the regulatory laws in the OT..like certain traditions, common societal practices, etc. And as many people including those who consider themselves Christians yet remain unprincipled and unguided we should continue to honor, share, teach, and emphasize them, especially "Honor Thy father and mother."

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There were 613 commandments which God gave Israel.

The Church has historically recognized and used the Decalogue as a helpful guidance for God's Law. Which is why we do not observe the Jewish Sabbath (because it was for the Jews only), but we recognize within this command the importance of rest for the people of God; the author of the Hebrews has said that there remains for the people of God a rest which is today, in Christ (Hebrews ch. 4). The external, gross sense does not concern us in the Church as it was given not to us but to those who came before us prior to the coming of our Lord Jesus.

Those who would say that Christians are obligated to observe this commandment violate the word of God in which the Holy Apostle tells us that we are to have no one judge us over matters of food, drink, sabbaths, new moons, or days of observance; for these were shadows and the substance is Jesus Himself.

If one so desires, by his Christian freedom, to set aside Saturday then let him do so to the glory of God; but let no one judge anyone who is in Christ if they don't do the same: for God does not command it of us. For the same reason He does not command that we abstain from mixed fabrics, or that we provide offerings of flesh or grain, or any of the other external ordinances of the Children of Israel.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No, what it shows is you still aren't willing to listen.

Words have no meaning without rules. Think about that...

Do you have more respect for a Stop sign than you have for the Ten Commandments?

What?? I'm not willing to listen to you because you are wrong. I gave you a clear understanding of the difference between the two covenants and you rejected it.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
In your mind you think this is the only logical conclusion, but there are other ways of looking at it. But based on what I have read from you thus far, I don't think you are willing to listen.

Biblically there's no difference between the 10 and the other 603 mitzvot. The Torah is not a buffet table.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Seymore Bell

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2017
Jackson, MS
✟49,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Not helpful to the discussion.

Not helpful to

Don't derail the thread.

the discussion.
Are you saying being under grace means I am free to break the Ten Commandments of God? Can I now be lawless and do as I please with impunity because Jesus died for my sins?

Chap. Bell

No! because being under grace doesn't give you liberty to break
GOD's Decalogue "God forbid." Can you keep around 613 laws, offending one point make you a transgressor of all. James 2:10
As born again believers we should love our brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus, and stop fighting each other over small different in doctrines, our fight is with our common enemy Satan and his demons, not with believers.

Father our Creator in heaven, I pray for these that they may see the truth, your truth. LORD this is a proving ground for us; how can we live in heaven together. When we can't live together on earth. LORD! Bless Them, and your Servant, so we my become a blessing to others in Christ Jesus name I ask. Amen, Amen and Amen.

atherng among oursleves

Upvote 0