RisenInJesus

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟34,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just because someone emphasizes the importance of keeping the Ten Commandments of God, it doesn't mean he or she is in bondage to a salvation by works theology.

The nonsense of accusing people of being legalistic for being in favor of keeping God's Ten Commandments, needs to stop.

Instead of jumping to conclusions about that person's relationship with God, ask questions for clarification.

Yes, we are saved by grace through faith, not by works (Eph. 2:8-9); but let's not forget that we were created for good works (v. 10).

When I look at God's Ten Commandments I see something good, not evil.
I agree the ten commandments are good, not evil. They are from God and God is good. I think the problem lies in trying to live up to the standard of the commandments and the law because we all fall short. Attempting to live under the law puts one under a heavy bondage and it becomes a work of the flesh, as Paul addressed so often. The point and freedom of a new life in Christ is that HE ALONE lived up to God's perfection as articulated in the ten commandments. When a person has died to self and daily desires to live in Christ the burden is lifted and the life one lives complies with the ten commandments and so much more IN CHRIST, not ourselves.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just because someone emphasizes the importance of keeping the Ten Commandments of God, it doesn't mean he or she is in bondage to a salvation by works theology.

The nonsense of accusing people of being legalistic for being in favor of keeping God's Ten Commandments, needs to stop.

Instead of jumping to conclusions about that person's relationship with God, ask questions for clarification.

Yes, we are saved by grace through faith, not by works (Eph. 2:8-9); but let's not forget that we were created for good works (v. 10).

The Ten Commandments still inform us with regards to righteousness and holiness. It's when you think superficially that it turns your religion into a white washed tomb. Take for instance covetousness, that's a sin you can commit every day all day long and only you will know.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

additionally the 10 commandments are mostly just a list of sins or just things that are always good to do when you look at it and sins and good deeds such as obeying your parents don't change.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

When I was in Israel, I was pulled over by a police officer for driving in a Jewish neighborhood on the Sabbath. Most Jews do not drive on the Sabbath for that is a form of work. An elevator in one of the hotels where I stayed stopped on every floor during the Sabbath so one would not have to push the elevator button. In another hotel where there was no elevator, people walked up and down hotel stairs on the Sabbath. They may light a candle before sunset, but not during the Sabbath. Some will not even turn a light switch on during the Sabbath. In a Galilean town, a siren sounded at sunset Friday to mark the beginning of the Sabbath. Shops and restaurants were closed on Sabbath and stayed closed Saturday. They are allowed to work Saturday night, but most wait until Sunday morning to open their shops and start working again. Sunday is the first day of the week.

In John 5, Jesus was caught working on the Sabbath. He stated not only was he working on the Sabbath, but his Father was working seven days a week also.

If you want to obey the Sabbath law like the Jews do, you may do so. Others may choose differently.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree the ten commandments are good, not evil. They are from God and God is good. I think the problem lies in trying to live up to the standard of the commandments and the law because we all fall short. Attempting to live under the law puts one under a heavy bondage and it becomes a work of the flesh, as Paul addressed so often. The point and freedom of a new life in Christ is that HE ALONE lived up to God's perfection as articulated in the ten commandments. When a person has died to self and daily desires to live in Christ the burden is lifted and the life one lives complies with the ten commandments and so much more IN CHRIST, not ourselves.

I agree with this except for one small but important point. One doesn't have to desire to live in Christ; we are in Christ always. Aside form this small point everything else you wrote is 100% correct.

Reactions: RisenInJesus
Upvote 0

Seymore Bell

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2017
Jackson, MS
✟49,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't see this statement in Scripture. What do you mean by, "Jesus is the fulfillment of the Law"?

Chap. Bell

Matthew 5:17: "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill."

Jesus is the fulfillment of the law: Jesus makes it perfected clear, He did not come to do away with the law, nor is the good news in opposition to the law.
Meaning, Jesus was taking the law to it maximum spiritual purpose of the law.

I hope this help.
God bless.

Upvote 0

RisenInJesus

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟34,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with this except for one small but important point. One doesn't have to desire to live in Christ; we are in Christ always. Aside form this small point everything else you wrote is 100% correct.
Well, I agree with you. As new creation believers we are always in Christ. I guess what I was getting at was that sometimes our desires don't line up with our position in Christ and at such times we can follow worldly or fleshly desires.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Biblically there's no difference between the 10 and the other 603 mitzvot. The Torah is not a buffet table.
Why then were the Ten the only ones placed inside the ark?

1 Kings 8:9 (NKJV) "Nothing was in the ark except the two tablets of stone which Moses put there at Horeb, when the LORD made a covenant with the children of Israel, when they came out of the land of Egypt."

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

1 Kings 8:9 (NKJV) "Nothing was in the ark except the two tablets of stone which Moses put there at Horeb, when the LORD made a covenant with the children of Israel, when they came out of the land of Egypt."

The ten commandments are a basic set of rules written by God himself that anyone can understand and follow. They were holy because they had been engraved by God. That is why they were placed in the ark.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Because two tablets of stone fit into a box fairly easily I imagine.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Don't forget that the tablets that Moses placed in the ark at Horeb were not the originals. The ones in the ark were the "second edition" as Moses, in a fit of rage, had smashed the originals.

And he lived to serve God until he died. What would you have done to Moses after he had broken the originals?

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Which answer do you prefer?

1) The ten commandments are a basic set of rules that anyone can understand and follow.

2) 603 laws would require a lot of tablets and an enormous "ark" to hold all of them.

How about preferring what Jesus said?

Matthew 22
36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”
37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind."
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’
40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Who has problems keeping two commandments?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In Hebrews it says, "In this ark were the golden urn containing the manna, Aaron’s rod that budded, and the stone tablets of the covenant." These were three objects in which God had direct, personal involvement. Kinda' changes the emphasis that woobadooba is trying to place on the contents of the ten commandments, doesn't it?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
In Hebrews it says, "In this ark were the golden urn containing the manna, Aaron’s rod that budded, and the stone tablets of the covenant." These were three objects in which God had direct, personal involvement. Kinda' changes the emphasis that woobadooba is trying to place on the contents of the ten commandments, doesn't it?

Right, the contents of the ark were sacred relics of importance; signifiers of God's glory revealed to Israel.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The ten commandments are a basic set of rules written by God himself that anyone can understand and follow. They were holy because they had been engraved by God. That is why they were placed in the ark.
You missed the point of the question.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right, the contents of the ark were sacred relics of importance; signifiers of God's glory revealed to Israel.

-CryptoLutheran
Wrong answer. There is a distinction between the Ten Commandments and all others. But you don't want to hear that.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Wrong answer. There is a distinction between the Ten Commandments and all others. But you don't want to hear that.

If the Decalogue were the most important, or of greater significance than the other 603, then I suppose we'd have to say that Jesus gave the wrong answer to the question, "What is the greatest commandment?"

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
And these characteristics have nothing to do with the Ten Commandments?

Do you understand that more than half the people who have ever lived will die and tell God how they've fulfilled the law, right?

This is the central theme of the entire Bible. It's Christianity 101.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Only one of those has ever lived, He also happened to be the eternally begotten Son of God.

-CryptoLutheran
Yes, Jesus kept the commandments perfectly. But I never asked that question. You aren't listening, and that is why you don't have the right answers.

Luke 1:5-6 (NKJV) "There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the division of Abijah. His wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth. And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless."

Perhaps you will say Luke didn't really mean what he said.

Upvote 0