Dealing with Objectors to the Ten Commandments of God

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="woobadooba, post: 71523458, member: 123414"]Just because someone emphasizes the importance of keeping the Ten Commandments of God, it doesn't mean he or she is in bondage to a salvation by works theology.

The nonsense of accusing people of being legalistic for being in favor of keeping God's Ten Commandments, needs to stop.

Instead of jumping to conclusions about that person's relationship with God, ask questions for clarification.

Yes, we are saved by grace through faith, not by works (Eph. 2:8-9); but let's not forget that we were created for good works (v. 10).

When I look at God's Ten Commandments I see something good, not evil.[/QUOTE

How many times does YHWH SAY TORAH is GOOD, WONDERFUL, etc etc etc
in PSALMS, PROPHETS, TORAH, AND NEW TESTAMENT ? ? (I think several dozen times in the Old Testament AND in the NEW TESTAMENT).

Why does the devil hate TORAH ?

Why do those whose guilt and shame is still inside them, enclosed in darkness (hiding) hate TORAH ? (JESUS bore ALL THE GUILT and SHAME, along with all the sin of all those who are HIS, BEFORE HE sat at the RIGHT HAND of the FATHER'S THRONE in HEAVEN)

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The commandments in the New Testament were never called the ten commandments by the apostles. That is one of the great deceptions in historical Christianity.
Did you know that the words, "Ten Commandments," only appears three times in the Old Testament of the NKJV? Ex. 34:28; Deut. 4:13, 10:4

Yet the word, "commandments," appears 126 times in the Old Testament of the NKJV.

Do you mean to tell me that just because it says, "commandments," it is not possible that the "Ten" were included? In other words, do you believe that the only place where the "Ten" were included in the Old Testament was when the expression, "Ten Commandments," was used?

That doesn't make sense.

Likewise, it makes no sense to me that just because the word, "Ten," doesn't appear in verses where we see the word, "commandments," in the New Testament, that it means the "Ten" were excluded.

I think that there was a general understanding among Jews that God's commandments included the "Ten". Therefore, it wasn't necessary to use the word, "Ten," in every reference to God's commands.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This makes it easier as Paul puts it

Romans 13:9 For this, (These in "the big ten") Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Romans 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This makes it easier as Paul puts it

Romans 13:9 For this, (These in "the big ten") Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Romans 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
The commands referenced here specifically address what it means to love your neighbor. It is in the context of loving one another that Paul wrote these words (see verses 8, 10). Therefore, the verses you quoted cannot be used as evidence to support the belief that the rest of the ten (not mentioned) have been done away with.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The commands referenced here specifically address what it means to love your neighbor. It is in the context of loving one another that Paul wrote these words (see verses 8, 10). Therefore, the verses you quoted cannot be used as evidence to support the belief that the rest of the ten (not mentioned) have been done away with.

What does that have to do with the title of the thread?
I don't see Paul objecting to the commandments there he touches upon them there
You are looking for verses that support killing, stealing, coveting and the like?
I don't believe the law or sound doctrine supports those things

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The Son is not the definition of Logos. I gave you the definition; why do you not see it?

What I'm concerned about is that these are things that you seem to have not been taught in your church. Has no one ever taught you any of this before? This is really basic Christian teaching here.

Jesus is the Incarnate Logos. The Logos is not "words spoken by God", the Logos is the Same as the Son, the One begotten of the Father before all ages; the Logos is not an abstract concept, but a Divine Person.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does that have to do with the title of the thread?
I don't see Paul objecting to the commandments there he touches upon them there
You are looking for verses that support killing, stealing, coveting and the like?
I don't believe the law or sound doctrine supports those things
You totally took what I said the wrong way. I am in full support of keeping the Ten Commandments.

Maybe I didn't understand you correctly, but it seemed like you were making an argument that the commands which Paul referenced were the only ones believers have to keep.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You totally took what I said the wrong way. I am in full support of keeping the Ten Commandments.

Maybe I didn't understand you correctly, but it seemed like you were making an argument that the commands which Paul referenced were the only ones believers have to keep.

The Counsel of Jerusalem has already addressed this matter.

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As with SO many things.. take the as of now 7 pages. Whos right? Which one is GOD going to pick and then when you stand before Him.. ask you WHY you never listen to (lets pick the 1st one I see WOOBADOOBA) hehe.. why did you not FOLLOW Woobadooba? or PICK one. You see where I am going.

My 1st thought was about this "work out your own salvation". What YOU personally get when YOU read the word .. yeah.. I am NOT held accountable to GOD for that. As in.. WHY didnt you follow so and so as GOD pointing His finger at me. The way the truth the life is not ME or YOU. Its HIM and this HIM wow IS REAL! WHY so many dont seek HIM ask HIM see what HE says.. I say it SO many times when I post.. I DONT see many if any saying the same "JESUS IS REAL!" No.. more real then MOM and DAD then spouse then girl friend boy friend.. pastor. YES.. there is a COST.. you pray.. you seek you ASK! You as you did with JOHN 3:16.. BELIEVE. You have to BELIEVE. Sorry..

So.. the 10 commandments. Nope..don't read them.. can I list them? Truth? No.. Not sure why they STOP at 10.. what it STOPPED there what about the other 613 (all) something like that. Do all or none. See God said.. one day HE will wipe away all sin and not remember it any more HELLO JESUS! And would write on our hearts what? So..yeah.. Jesus is LORD praise GOD GLORY TO JESUS of my life. So I love the lord my God with all my heart and soul and mind. I love my neighborer as my self..on and on.

Its not something I FEEL I have to do. No.. for me..its IN ME. I WANT to do it. And what hurts HIM hurts me. We are ONE. He is REAL! If you married have kids..or just best best friend someone you love.. if someone hurts them.. its the same as hurting you. This is Him.. HE IS REAL! See for me I dont answer to you. Your not my judge. I only answer to Him. I an not here to please man.. to only please Him. If He loves all..I do.. if He was the servant to all.. I am on and on. So the 10.. is IN ME.. I as we all should ..want to do ANYTHING EVERYTHING to please HIM.. its just as we all know.. this FLESH.. REALLY gets in the way. I pray I at least touched on the sub

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

No I'm not even arguing, besides Paul also said in the verse ....
and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

And Paul even says,

1 Ti 1:8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

1 Ti 1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

1 Ti 1:10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

And theres another "and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine"

So those things are contrary to sound doctrine

1 Ti 1:11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.

So the law is perfect it just made nothing perfect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello woobadooba.

When the word 'commandments' appears in the New Testament text, can we safely assume that it is referring directly to the ten commandments?
Did you know that the words, "Ten Commandments," only appears three times in the Old Testament of the NKJV? Ex. 34:28; Deut. 4:13, 10:4
Yes.
Yet the word, "commandments," appears 126 times in the Old Testament of the NKJV.
Yes and usually in the form, commandments, statutes, and ordinances.

For the Jews, every law was a commandment anyway, a sorcerer was stoned just the same as an adulterer. All the law identified sin and sin meant death.
Do you mean to tell me that just because it says, "commandments," it is not possible that the "Ten" were included?
The problem you have with your interpretation is a subtle alteration in the meaning of the word, 'commandments', in the New Testament.

Acts 15
29 that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication.

The word the apostles used above is, 'fornication', and not the word adultery. From this point onwards it is impossible to apply the law to a Gentile.

1 Thessalonians 4:3
For this is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality.

Once again, the word that the apostle used is, 'sexual immorality', and not the word adultery. This further cements the alteration in the meaning of the word commandments.

So were the apostles quoting the commandment, thou shall not commit adultery to the Gentiles, they were not.
In other words, do you believe that the only place where the "Ten" were included in the Old Testament was when the expression, "Ten Commandments," was used?
No I do not believe that, there were more than the ten commandments even in the Old Testament.

Matthew 22
36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’

Proof that the ten commandments were merely a section of the law, and that other commandments were contained in the law. It should be noted that these other commandments were considered even more important than the ten commandments.
That doesn't make sense.
It should be very clear to you.
Likewise, it makes no sense to me that just because the word, "Ten," doesn't appear in verses where we see the word, "commandments," in the New Testament, that it means the "Ten" were excluded.
You need to read the entire New Testament and especially the instructions given to the Gentiles.
I think that there was a general understanding among Jews that God's commandments included the "Ten". Therefore, it wasn't necessary to use the word, "Ten," in every reference to God's commands.
Utterly incorrect, a failure to understand the text of the New Testament.

Romans 6:14
For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

Romans 7
4 Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You need to read the entire New Testament and especially the instructions given to the Gentiles.
Your language towards me is condescending. If you want to make a difference in someone's life, then be humble. A prideful spirit pushes people away.

Having said that, since I don't see this dialogue with you as fruitful, I think it is best for me to walk away. Goodbye.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Brian Mcnamee
Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your language towards me is condescending. If you want to make a difference in someone's life, then be humble. A prideful spirit pushes people away.

Having said that, since I don't see this dialogue with you as fruitful, I think it is best for me to walk away. Goodbye.
bro I used to judge debate and he did not speak to you in a condescending manner what he did do was systematically refute your claims in the context you gave them. I do not think it was personal. If you still feel you are right or he misunderstood you then you should have another go at it but it looks like he might have and won in a way that made you feel bad like your pride got hurt. Its good to get clobbered in an argument if you are wrong, if you are wise you can learn from it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums