Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A movie about barroom brawls is your online behavior model towards fellow Christians? The problem for me is that tends to rub off and I start fighting fire with fire, so I'm gonna have to say via con Dios. Happy clobbering :)
And here I was trying to be nice. You just reminded me of POTUS PJ totally misrepresenting my post. I most certainly was not modeling my online behavior after "a movie about barroom brawls". I merely gave credit for a phrase that I used, I "play nice until it is time to not play nice." I might be just as well that you bow out since you seem to have a problem with misrepresenting other posters. However after saying that I will continue to monitor such posts as I choose in particular those posts which misrepresent the beliefs/practices of others.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And here I was trying to be nice. You just reminded me of POTUS PJ totally misrepresenting my post. I most certainly was not modeling my online behavior after "a movie about barroom brawls". I merely gave credit for a phrase that I used, I "play nice until it is time to not play nice." I might be just as well that you bow out since you seem to have a problem with misrepresenting other posters. However after saying that I will continue to monitor such posts as I choose in particular those posts which misrepresent the beliefs/practices of others.

I wasn't being serious over a movie quote. But all the same, I find you too adversarial for my taste.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For a good number of Christians, hell isn’t just a tragic shadow cast across one of an otherwise ravishing vista’s remoter corners; rather, it’s one of the landscape’s most conspicuous and delectable details.

I know whereof I speak. I’ve published many books, often willfully provocative, and have vexed my share of critics. But only recently, in releasing a book challenging the historical validity, biblical origins, philosophical cogency and moral sanity of the standard Christian teaching on the matter of eternal damnation, have I ever inspired reactions so truculent, uninhibited and (frankly) demented.

Opinion | Why Do People Believe in Hell? (Published 2020)

What do we think about this?
I'm 2/3 the way through David Bentley Hart's new book: That ALL Shall be Saved.

Well-written, and a good read. He even has his own translation of the NT available. So, he is well-informed of the NT Greek.

Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟36,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
  • Informative
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think Hart aligns more with the historic orthodoxy of the early church. Universalism has its origins in the eastern church.

"The Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge"
by Schaff-Herzog, 1908, volume 12, page 96
German theologian- Philip Schaff writes :

"In the first five or six centuries of Christianity there were six theological schools, of which four (Alexandria, Antioch, Caesarea, and Edessa, or Nisibis) were Universalist, one (Ephesus) accepted conditional immortality; one (Carthage or Rome) taught endless punishment of the wicked. Other theological schools are mentioned as founded by Universalists, but their actual doctrine on this subject is not known."

Reactions: Lazarus Short
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
An Online Orthodox Catechism » Catechism » OrthodoxEurope.org
Looks like you had dig through archives in Europe to find something to use against the American.

Looks like a copyright violation as well. But perhaps you had prior written permission from the author?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Copyright by the author

All rights reserved. No part of this text may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the author.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Looks like you had dig through archives in Europe to find something to use against the American.

It is a standard online catechism of the Orthodox Church that has been posted for over 15 years. Whether it is published in America, Europe, Middle East etc. it is basic Orthodoxy. As far as Hart’s being American or not, what of it? I am American descended from Arabs & American colonists.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Looks like a copyright violation as well. But perhaps you had prior written permission from the author?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Copyright by the author

All rights reserved. No part of this text may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the author.

Thank you for the copyright notification; I did not see it. Problem adjusted with info still accessible.

Upvote 0

East of Eden

Feb 20, 2021
Albuquerque
✟36,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have noticed that somewhere, somehow, everything, EVERY THING is rebutted, denied, refuted and contradicted by someone. Damnation, annihilation and universal reconciliation have all been both proven and disproven. It's like Schrodinger's theology...

Yes, it is a debate forum.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Saint Steven said:
I think Hart aligns more with the historic orthodoxy of the early church. Universalism has its origins in the eastern church.
"The Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge"
by Schaff-Herzog, 1908, volume 12, page 96
German theologian- Philip Schaff writes :
"In the first five or six centuries of Christianity there were six theological schools, of which four (Alexandria, Antioch, Caesarea, and Edessa, or Nisibis) were Universalist, one (Ephesus) accepted conditional immortality; one (Carthage or Rome) taught endless punishment of the wicked. Other theological schools are mentioned as founded by Universalists, but their actual doctrine on this subject is not known."
Ah yes, the ubiquitous quote from "Schaff-Herzog" presented as if it settles the matter once and for all. Unfortunately that is all there is to it, no, zero, none historical evidence supporting the claim.
Just because a scholar makes a claim that does not make it true. What is necessary is credible, verifiable, historical, grammatical, lexical etc. evidence. I have read the Schaff-Herzog article there is no evidence only the unsupported claim of a scholar.
Here is a link to the encyclopedia, try to prove me wrong.
Work info: New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge, Vol. XII: Trench - Zwingli - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,632.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm 2/3 the way through David Bentley Hart's new book: That ALL Shall be Saved.

Well-written, and a good read. He even has his own translation of the NT available. So, he is well-informed of the NT Greek.
You would trust a translation by a single, biased individual, rather than teams of experienced translators from different backgrounds striving to avoid bias?

• Haha
Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You would trust a translation by a single, biased individual, rather than teams of experienced translators from different backgrounds striving to avoid bias?

I recall Robert Heinlein's dictum/joke that a committee is a creature with at least six legs...and no brain. Seriously, a team of "experienced translators" cannot avoid bias if each member has attended the usual seminary schools.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A camel is a horse built by committee. - lol

Reactions: Lazarus Short
Upvote 0