Senior Contributor
Jun 17, 2005
✟20,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
coolstylinstud said:
Ok but i just happen to think that genesis is literal. Im sorry if i came off as questioning peoples beleifs
It's not a matter of faith.

Believing something to be true doesn't make it so.

Science deals with the observable. In other words, it doesn't concern itself with religious belief.

Consider this. If I told you I could fly, and went to the top of a ten story building to test my faith, what would you do? I would hope you would try to stop me. People can't fly, and gravity can be deadly. We know this from observation.

In the same manner, we can show a literal interpretation of Genesis to be incorrect. That's all there is to it. It's not faith; it's not religion; it's not a belief system. It's cold, hard science.

Science doesn't concern itself with your religious beliefs. If your faith is strong, you have nothing to fear from studying God's creation. As a Christian, and if you're receptive to education, you will likely be awed by the Creator's work in your studies.

Give it a try. Take some classes. Everything in science makes perfect sense; much of it will become intuitive after awhile. The only way it can threaten your faith is if you allow it to.

Upvote 0

coolstylinstud

Senior Veteran
Jun 19, 2005
✟9,346.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's not a matter of faith.

Believing something to be true doesn't make it so.

Science deals with the observable. In other words, it doesn't concern itself with religious belief.

Consider this. If I told you I could fly, and went to the top of a ten story building to test my faith, what would you do? I would hope you would try to stop me. People can't fly, and gravity can be deadly. We know this from observation.

In the same manner, we can show a literal interpretation of Genesis to be incorrect. That's all there is to it. It's not faith; it's not religion; it's not a belief system. It's cold, hard science.

Science doesn't concern itself with your religious beliefs. If your faith is strong, you have nothing to fear from studying God's creation. As a Christian, and if you're receptive to education, you will likely be awed by the Creator's work in your studies.

Give it a try. Take some classes. Everything in science makes perfect sense; much of it will become intuitive after awhile. The only way it can threaten your faith is if you allow it to.

Thank you for that

Upvote 0

BeamMeUpScotty

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Kanagawa, Japan
✟18,437.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
coolstylinstud said:
The lord GOD formed man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living being

From the Books of Bokonon:

Verse 1: All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies. [ 4 ]

Verses 2-4 (?): In the beginning, God created the earth, and he looked upon it in His cosmic loneliness.

And God said, "Let Us make living creatures out of mud, so the mud can see what We have done." And God created every living creature that now moveth, and one was man. Mud as man alone could speak. God leaned close as mud as man sat up, looked around, and spoke. Man blinked. "What is the purpose of all this?" he asked politely.

"Everything must have a purpose?" asked God.

"Certainly," said man.

"Then I leave it to you to think of one for all this," said God.

And He went away. [ 118 ]

From Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeamMeUpScotty

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Kanagawa, Japan
✟18,437.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
coolstylinstud said:
Since when was my signature a conversation piece and that whole thing is a lie

Don't be so defensive. I was merely putting some levity in this thread. I should have realized that you're probably in about the 8th grade, and that you probably haven't read much, if any, Vonnegut. The quote is not an attack on the Bible, but rather it's from a piece of literature that comically examines religious belief. The "author" of the "Books of Bokonon" is claiming from the outset he isn't writing a "bible".

Read the book and enjoy a good read.

Upvote 0

Nymphalidae

Jun 16, 2005
not telling
✟9,913.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
coolstylinstud said:
Why is it when i dont beleive your beleifs im a stupid, arrogant, immature 14 year old but when you dont beleive my beleifs you are scholars and genuisis you are being just as arrogant as me

Here's the difference: I don't believe what you believe, but I have taken the time to learn about your beliefs. I have done my research on both sides of the issue. You don't believe what I believe, but you haven't taken the time to learn anything about why I think the way I do. If you have done any research at all, it is not apparent from any of your posts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BeamMeUpScotty

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Kanagawa, Japan
✟18,437.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
A4C said:
There is absolute surety of hell as here is of heaven Do you have a problem with this concept?

I have no problem with your belief in the concept, I was just laughing that a Christian would use such a phrase in this environment given that the phrase is colloquially used and often irritates Christians (it sure irritated my grandmother).

Upvote 0

nvxplorer

Senior Contributor
Jun 17, 2005
✟20,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
A4C said:
Only God was before creation and yes sure as hell He wasn't a party to evolution
Well, this doesn't address my point, but let me elaborate.

The Hubble telescope has observed galaxies which are hundreds of millions of light years away. That means the light has been travelling much longer than 6000 years. What you are claiming is sacrilegious. You see, Jesus said "I am the light," and you want to claim he's been travelling far shorter than he actually has been.

Upvote 0

A4C

Secrecy and Christ likeness cannot co-exist
Aug 9, 2004
✟3,626.00
Faith
Christian
BeamMeUpScotty said:
I have no problem with your belief in the concept, I was just laughing that a Christian would use such a phrase in this environment given that the phrase is colloquially used and often irritates Christians (it sure irritated my grandmother).
Well perhaps your grandmother didn't appreciate the truth that is in the words :) and that some people need to hear some truth

Upvote 0

BeamMeUpScotty

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Kanagawa, Japan
✟18,437.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
A4C said:
Well perhaps your grandmother didn't appreciate the truth that is in the words :) and that some people need to hear some truth

I don' think you're at all qualified to know what my grandmother did or didn't appreciate, even if you did use the qualifying "perhaps". Even if she believed in a literal hell, she would think the manner in which you expressed yourself could have been done differently without using profanity. Again, I was just expressing amusement of the irony of your word choice in that many Christians wouldn't feel the same way you do. Maybe this is a thread for GA?

[Jack Nicholson]You can't handle the truth[/Jack Nicholson]:cool:

Upvote 0