• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

COVID-19 Has Hit The Amish Community Hard. Still, Vaccines Are A Tough Sell

Discussion in 'Current News & Events (Articles Required)' started by Michie, May 8, 2021.

1. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+40,358
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    The Amish communities of northeast Ohio engage in textbook communal living. Families eat, work and go to church together, and through the pandemic, mask-wearing and social distancing have been spotty. As a result, these communities have experienced some of the state's highest rates of infection and deaths.

Nevertheless, health officials are struggling to get residents vaccinated. Holmes County, where half of the population is Amish, has the lowest vaccination rate in Ohio, with just 10% of its roughly 44,000 residents fully vaccinated.

Less than 1% of Amish have received any doses of vaccine, according to Michael Derr, the county's health commissioner.

In an effort to increase that number, health officials are holding vaccination clinics in rural areas. They've also reached out to bishops and community leaders to spread the word about the safety of the vaccines. Still, few Amish residents are showing up to the health department's clinics.

Marcus Yoder, who lives in Holmes County, was born Amish and is now Mennonite and still has close ties to the Amish community. He says the few Amish who are getting vaccinated are doing so privately through doctors' offices and small rural clinics – and they are keeping it to themselves.

Continued below.
    COVID-19 Has Hit The Amish Community Hard. Still, Vaccines Are A Tough Sell

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Wolseley

Wolseley Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu

+2,974
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    There is a large Amish/Mennonite community close to where I live; they have a small food store that we go to for things that you literally can't find anywhere else in this day and age. Never once, during the whole course of this pandemic, did I walk in there and see any of the staff wearing masks. The customers mostly did, but not the staff themselves.

3. paul1149

paul1149 that your faith might rest in the power of God Supporter

+5,189
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Others
    According to that map, there are counties in Ohio with almost double the infection rate of Holmes County, yet which are not known for high Amish population.

4. Wolseley

Wolseley Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu

+2,974
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Amazing, isn't it? It's sort of like this:

lunacy.jpg

5. paul1149

+5,189
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Others
    It's NPR, after all.

6. Old Lady

Old Lady ...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me Supporter

+10,438
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    I thought NPR was a radio station. What are you referencing?

7. paul1149

+5,189
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Others
    It's a radio network.

8. honestal

honestal New Member Supporter

+71
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    My wife and I live in the VERY northeast tip of Ohio-- five minutes from PA and five minutes from Lake Erie.

We have a pretty big Amish community near us and we know many of them because of our health business. Also, we're particularly close to three Amish families (father and two married sons) that have done a lot of carpentry work for two of our children that live in the area. Whenever they do work for my kids I usually drive them to and from the job. (They did some work for my son just last week.) I've asked them about Covid among them. They said there's been hardly any.

They're very old order Amish and very communal.

The father and two sons that I haul around pretty much think the whole Covid thing is a big government scam. They hate the mask mandate. (As do I.)