Measles erupts in Fort Lauderdale-area school where 11% of kids are unvaccinated

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To be clear, I wasn't trying to call Oregon a red state - just pointing out that they have a significant deeply conservative population (and that conservative population tends to be of the libertarian/minimal government variety - i.e. the kind most likely to object to mandatory vaccinations). In other words, they're a poor foil for Florida on this issue.
But with regards to vaccination attitudes (specifically pertaining to the MMR vaccine which is the one applicable to this story), it doesn't follow the traditional partisan breakdowns that the covid vaccine situation did. So putting any extra animus on FL leadership for the current measles situation (because of past covid grievances) is misplaced...that is, if people are actually more concerned about the actual measles aspect, and not specifically the "here's why DeSantis is bad" aspect.

This article was specifically pertaining to the routine childhood vaccines

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But with regards to vaccination attitudes (specifically pertaining to the MMR vaccine which is the one applicable to this story), it doesn't follow the traditional partisan breakdowns that the covid vaccine situation did.
You're the one who brought in the partisan aspect by comparing Florida's vaccination rate to "much more progressive Oregon". All I was doing was providing some context.
So putting any extra animus on FL leadership for the current measles situation (because of past covid grievances) is misplaced...that is, if people are actually more concerned about the actual measles aspect, and not specifically the "here's why DeSantis is bad" aspect.
Perhaps, but people aren't always logical and, as already pointed out, there are legitimate concerns about Florida's response to this measles outbreak outside of any past grievances.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The determining factors are not in man's control in the world.
Choosing vaccination is within our control, at least here in the US where they are universally available.

Measles was declared eliminated (absence of continuous disease transmission for greater than 12 months) from the United States in 2000. This was thanks to a highly effective vaccination program in the United States, as well as better measles control in the Americas region.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
it was only responsible for 500 deaths per year
It always baffles me how USAians seem to handwave away deaths as not enough.

In 2022 there was one death in the US due to measles.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It always baffles me how USAians seem to handwave away deaths as not enough.

In 2022 there was one death in the US due to measles.
It's called pragmatism.

We can't structure a society around a "even one death is too much" mentality and expect to function. It can be a nice thing to strive for, but it shouldn't be a realistic expectation.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
No worries.
Large outbreaks have been all along all around the world , regardless of 'status' or 'money'.
The determining factors are not in man's control in the world.

People who learn for themselves about all things, instead of trusting unreliable world opinions ; people who long ago learned what to do and those who not only learn what to do but also continue doing what is right and what makes for a healthy long life .... well, some people seek a healthy long life.... most people do not.
That is simply gibberish.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Choosing vaccination is within our control, at least here in the US where they are universally available.

Measles was declared eliminated (absence of continuous disease transmission for greater than 12 months) from the United States in 2000. This was thanks to a highly effective vaccination program in the United States, as well as better measles control in the Americas region.
Choosing to abstain from over-indulging in alcohol is within our control as well, it'd save a lot of lives, it's free to make that choice.

I'm not naive as to think that it's even within the realm of possibility that everyone will follow that advice.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps, but people aren't always logical and, as already pointed out, there are legitimate concerns about Florida's response to this measles outbreak outside of any past grievances.
I understand that, but why is it coming across from sources (not referring to you) as if it's "selective concern" --meaning "I'm super concerned about it when a political opponent exhibits Trait XYZ after never really acting all that concerned about it in previous instances"

And it's not as if Florida doesn't have the correct recommendation on their state website about it

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Really? Try to publish the cures that were frequently used and effective prior to the 1950's that did not involve any synthetic or manmade substances at all. See what happens. For those who are seeking , keep seeking - while they may be found (elsewhere). They are not permitted here on this forum except in some weird sections.
Post away. I'm sure the 'cures' of which you speak will be of great interest to people who don't already know what they were.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I understand that, but why is it coming across from sources (not referring to you) as if it's "selective concern" --meaning "I'm super concerned about it when a political opponent exhibits Trait XYZ after never really acting all that concerned about it in previous instances"

Ok? You're free to read whatever you like into it. I and others have given multiple potential reasons for the difference in response though.
And it's not as if Florida doesn't have the correct recommendation on their state website about it
As they should, but that's a bare minimum level of competency. When the state surgeon general's official communications say that no quarantine is necessary - flying in the face of CDC guidelines - that's a problem. And when the health department is providing incomplete information on where cases are located and whether cases are linked, that's concerning. Florida may be under more scrutiny due to past grievances, and people may be more sensitive to vaccine-related issues due to COVID, but that doesn't change the reported problems with their handling of this outbreak.

Upvote 0