✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That makes sense, thanks.

It's still not making sense to me with Orlando and Florida saying no cases there. It is the preferred spot for the Chinese for tourism, too. Florida emerges as the preferred US destination for Chinese travelers
Call me cynical, but I'm guessing we're going to start seeing those Orlando numbers soon, maybe after a few weeks with these events and Spring Break ($$$) over.
Florida has 11,500 cases now and is 6th in the US behind NY, NJ, Michigan, California, La, and Mass

Upvote 0

Jok

Jul 9, 2019
Indiana
✟42,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Man there are some sharp pitchforks in this place!
'The scary things that this virus can do': Doctors across NYC share the harrowing reality of caring for oxygen-starved coronavirus patients as equipment runs short

Dr. Trevor Pour, an emergency medicine doctor at Mount Sinai Health System, feels like he has a different job now.

In the ER, Pour would usually see a vast array of health problems: broken bones and scrapes, coughs, stomach woes. This week, none of that. Pour is now a "full-time coronavirus doctor," he told Business Insider.

On Thursday, Pour was headed into a night shift. He said he anticipated that 95% of his cases would be respiratory-related, stemming from breathing problems from COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

"The hospital is basically turning into one giant COVID unit," Pour said.
Man I’ve been putting off a hospital visit for several months. Dragging my feet really cost me! Because I don’t even think about going for it now, it’s an inconvenience for me but nothing major.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
upload_2020-4-5_9-34-36.png

There have been considerable revisions to the data for April 3, now showing 1,045 whereas before it was showing 1,328. Some of the notes suggested that NY data had been revised, on the Worldometers site, but does not give the reason. Perhaps some data was counted twice.

It would be difficult for those making decisions to get a handle on the situation when numbers change constantly, and there may even be different underlying methods for determining cause of death when there are people with severe health conditions who also have COVID 19.

• Informative
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The virus cannot exist if enough coal dust is present in ones lungs already.

Praise be holy coal!

I know it was gallows humor (and appreciated it!) but of course the reality will probably be much worse.

Appalachian Coal Communities Brace For Coronavirus

Generations of miners are faced with a troubling dichotomy. Mines continue to operate during the pandemic, with states like West Virginia and Pennsylvania designating it an “essential” service. This puts workers, whose health may already be compromised, at risk of contracting the coronavirus.

Already in the past week, reports have emerged that two coal miners in Pennsylvania have tested positive for the coronavirus. And as the pandemic continues to spread rapidly, many fear it’s only a matter of time until the virus contributes to a triple-whammy in Appalachian mining communities: a population with elevated health risks, an economy in free-fall and limited health care resources.

“Nobody knows what this virus is going to do when it gets to this area,” said Jimmy Moore, a 74-year-old black lung patient in Shelby Gap, Kentucky, who spent 22 years in the mines before retiring in 2000. His 51-year-old son, he said, has an even more serious case of black lung. “It’s probably just going to wipe us out.”

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The curve in the US is flattening. If this keeps up the worst case scenarios will all be averted.

Not according to this. New York is starting to curve but hasn't gone down yet, but the country as a whole is still going up.

• Informative
Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not according to this. New York is starting to curve but hasn't gone down yet, but the country as a whole is still going up.
Yes, but it is going up at a slower rate, and we have seen that drop in 3 out of the last 4 days. Now I am looking at the deaths, not the cases since that increase could simply be the fact that we have more testing. Also, deaths can go down due to better treatment so there are a number of factors and in my mind it is the simplest number to look at, the most accurate and the most telling.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
upload_2020-4-6_15-22-24.png

Worldometer adds this note:

An estimated additional 180 - 195 deaths per day occurring at home in New York City due to COVID-19 are not being counted in the official figures. "Early on in this crisis we were able to swab people who died at home, and thus got a coronavirus reading. But those days are long gone. We simply don't have the testing capacity for the large numbers dying at home. Now only those few who had a test confirmation *before* dying are marked as victims of coronavirus on their death certificate. This almost certainly means we are undercounting the total number of victims of this pandemic," said Mark Levine, Chair of New York City Council health committee

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but it is going up at a slower rate, and we have seen that drop in 3 out of the last 4 days. Now I am looking at the deaths, not the cases since that increase could simply be the fact that we have more testing. Also, deaths can go down due to better treatment so there are a number of factors and in my mind it is the simplest number to look at, the most accurate and the most telling.

It's not mate. And believe me, I wish it was. I have no particular interest in being a doom and gloom merchant, and boy am I glad I live in a country that seems to have actually flattened the curve. What you are seeing is a brief plateau before the virus takes hold in your other major cities and does to them what it is doing to New York. As @tall73 pointed out, deaths are not being accurately reported, and that's going to get worse, not better.

Pence has said one correct thing in all of this, the model for the USA is Italy and Spain. Which is to say, once you have a full draconian lock down of your entire country, you will see a flattening of the curve after about 3-4 weeks, and a high death rate for that entire time.

As someone said recently, having different rules in different parts of the country at this stage is like having a "peeing section" in a swimming pool.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What you are seeing is a brief plateau before the virus takes hold in your other major cities and does to them what it is doing to New York.

Yes, the USA is a large nation, with each state having its own dynamics. Some of the other areas are now becoming hotspots and will trail New Yorks curve.

Even in NY it is not clear that it is slowing yet. If they cannot test anymore, they don't list all the deaths correctly. As is done with severe flu seasons we may need to look at the overall increase of mortality compared to similar time periods to see trends.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The curve continues to flatten

One thing to keep in mind is that there are many curves for different locations. Since NY has the most cases by far, if the curve flattens there, it makes the curve for the whole US flatten. But that can disguise rising curves in other areas with fewer cases.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes I get that, but from what I can see the entire country is in lockdown. So although they started after NYC I still suspect this is indicative of the social distancing having a positive effect.

What I am far more concerned about is the idea that when the curve does go down they'll release the restrictions too soon causing a second more severe wave. It is difficult to enforce this lockdown when people are dying, imagine how much tougher it will be when they aren't.

I am also concerned that there might be undue pressure from those with financial motivation to hide the numbers from Covid to motivate the easing of restrictions sooner.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The curve continues to flatten
I do not see a flattening curve yet on the chart I am looking at. I think it is to early to be optimistic on that. Even for my state the number of deaths are still going up even though the number of cases is starting to flatten.

But for the country as a whole, I think this week will not be the last bad one.

Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Informative
Upvote 0