Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The 25-county region surrounding Houston had reported fewer than 950 confirmed coronavirus cases among its 9.3 million residents as of Monday. But on that same day, there were 996 people hospitalized in the region with confirmed or suspected cases of COVID-19, according to the advisory council count. That figure is not cumulative and does not include patients with COVID-19 who were hospitalized and released before Monday.

Dr. Peter Hotez, an infectious disease expert and dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, said the disconnect between the number of positive test results and the number of people hospitalized for COVID-19 suggests that a significant majority of coronavirus cases are going undetected here.

“We know that about 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 COVID-19 patients needs to be hospitalized, so what you’re seeing in hospital admissions would suggest that the actual number of cases could be 5 to 10 times higher in Texas than what’s been reported to this point,” he said.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Anti-government extremist Ammon Bundy led a meeting last week where he agitated for Idahoans to physically defy the state’s stay-at-home order, which is meant to slow the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.

If a business owner decides to keep their business open in violation of the state order, Bundy said, he would organize a group to “surround them and protect them.”

In addition to legal and political advocacy, he said, “we will also, if necessary, provide a physical defense for you so that you can continue in your rights.”

Political action to oppose the governor’s step was necessary, Bundy said at the meeting,

But, he said, “when I say ‘political,’ it’s not calling up my legislators and saying, ‘I don’t like this, I think you should vote this way.'”

“It is all of us going to the governor’s house, right? Literally, and saying ‘You will not do this.” We’re going to his house. We’re going to this director of Health and Welfare’s house. Okay?”

The room applauded.

• Informative
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anti-government extremist Ammon Bundy led a meeting last week where he agitated for Idahoans to physically defy the state’s stay-at-home order, which is meant to slow the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.

If a business owner decides to keep their business open in violation of the state order, Bundy said, he would organize a group to “surround them and protect them.”

In addition to legal and political advocacy, he said, “we will also, if necessary, provide a physical defense for you so that you can continue in your rights.”

Political action to oppose the governor’s step was necessary, Bundy said at the meeting,

But, he said, “when I say ‘political,’ it’s not calling up my legislators and saying, ‘I don’t like this, I think you should vote this way.'”

“It is all of us going to the governor’s house, right? Literally, and saying ‘You will not do this.” We’re going to his house. We’re going to this director of Health and Welfare’s house. Okay?”

The room applauded.

While I understand their desire, this virus does not care. I am sorry this is happening next door to my state.

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we tested every single American how many do you think would test positive, today? I think over 10,000 would. It’s either way way harder to spread than they have been telling us, or the death rate is ridiculously over estimated and millions of people have it worldwide by now. It makes no sense how it could only have slightly over 100,000 cases worldwide after all this time IF it spreads as easily as they say. One part has to be false, otherwise people would be dying all over the place by now.
Coronavirus: Nearly 1,500 Americans killed in 24 hours, the worst single-day death surge in the world

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Why these 8 Republican governors are holding out on statewide stay-at-home orders
Just eight US governors have decided against issuing statewide directives urging their residents to stay at home as the outbreak of the coronavirus escalates and spreads across the country, the last holdouts in the nation.

In doing so, they've collectively ignored the stay-at-home pleas of Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, who said in a CNN interview: "If you look at what's going on in this country, I just don't understand why we're not doing that."

Absent a nationwide order, which President Donald Trump once again on Friday declined to give, a patchwork of rules has emerged in all corners of the country that offer conflicting guidance for how citizens should protect themselves and their families from coronavirus.

"I leave it up to the governors. The governors know what they are doing," Trump said at his daily White House briefing.

Article goes on to say what the 8 governors have said, but I didn't find it very illuminating.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Fl governor kept beaches open

Speaking of keeping beaches open...

Georgia governor opens beaches a day after issuing statewide stay-at-home order
Many Georgia beach communities decided to close down their waterfronts due to concerns over coronavirus, but under a statewide stay-at-home order issued Thursday, all beaches are opening back up -- whether the communities want to or not.

Several communities, including Tybee Island, had implemented local ordinances forbidding public access to their beaches, WJCL reported, but they are all superseded by Gov. Brian Kemp’s latest order.

The beaches reopened when the stay-at-home ordinance went into effect at 6 p.m. Friday, according to an administrative order signed by the Department of Natural Resources Commissioner Mark Williams.

The Governor’s Executive Order suspends the enforcement of any local ordinance or order adopted or issued since March 1, 2020, that relates to COVID-19,” said Josh Hildebrandt, director of public and governmental affairs for DNR. “This Executive Order thus lifted any local ordinances or orders that had closed or restricted access to Georgia beaches.”

Petrea said that although the beaches are reopening, social distancing will be enforced, no congregating is allowed, and Rangers will be on patrol to ensure rules are followed.

• Informative
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
'The scary things that this virus can do': Doctors across NYC share the harrowing reality of caring for oxygen-starved coronavirus patients as equipment runs short

Dr. Trevor Pour, an emergency medicine doctor at Mount Sinai Health System, feels like he has a different job now.

In the ER, Pour would usually see a vast array of health problems: broken bones and scrapes, coughs, stomach woes. This week, none of that. Pour is now a "full-time coronavirus doctor," he told Business Insider.

On Thursday, Pour was headed into a night shift. He said he anticipated that 95% of his cases would be respiratory-related, stemming from breathing problems from COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

"The hospital is basically turning into one giant COVID unit," Pour said.

Upvote 0