A massive Texas wildfire is now the largest on record in the state (1 million+ acres burned)

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's what the man caused climate change proponents want you to believe. I don't believe it.

I do believe climate change has been happening since the end of the ice age. It's a natural phenomenon and we can't do anything about it except figure out ways to adapt to it. We aren't going to stop it.
Belief doesn't come into it. Follow the evidence. The change in the climate has been going on since the Ice Age, true. The issue is that there has been a catastrophic acceleration in the global rise in atmospheric and oceanic temperatures. All the data shows this to be the case.

Even if it is unconnected to the great increase in greenhouse gas emissions this global phenomenon needs a response. Adapting to the conditions that seem imminent won't be enough.

"Science is real!" - They Might Be Giants

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

Many homes burned in the Texas wildfires weren’t insured, creating a steep path to recovery

Rural Texans are more than twice as likely to go without homeowners insurance than their urban peers.

Abbott said Friday he is waiting on a full assessment of the damages before requesting a declaration from the federal government.
As far as I'm concerned, they gambled by not taking on insurance, and now they lost and can pull themselves up with their own bootstraps.

• Agree
Reactions: MotoToTheMax
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As far as I'm concerned, they gambled by not taking on insurance, and now they lost and can pull themselves up with their own bootstraps.
I’m sure they wouldn’t stoop to talking dirty federal money, could be spiked with vaccines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,533.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I agree. We taxpayers should not be restoring their houses. That's what I surance is for, not us. I feel that way about people building in hurricane, earthquake, flooding country. If you choose to build in an area and refuse to buy homeowners insurance why should I pay?

Now I wouldn't have a problem with offering them insurance where private insurance won't do it. But at least at that point they are paying into the program just like they do in private insurance. But I do t think in the Texas case private insurance refused to allow coverage there.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I agree. We taxpayers should not be restoring their houses. That's what I surance is for, not us. I feel that way about people building in hurricane, earthquake, flooding country. If you choose to build in an area and refuse to buy homeowners insurance why should I pay?

We The People have decided that FEMA can lend some assistance in these cases.

“When disasters strike, there’s no red states or blue states where I come from,” Biden said. “Just communities and families looking for help. So we’re standing with everyone affected by these wildfires and we’re going to continue to help you respond and recover.”

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,533.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I'm talking about the house. I'm happy to lend a hand, provide food water, housing, medical assistance etc. I'm not for rebuilding a house. That's what insurance is for. That's why we have it. Otherwise why bother? Some assistance isn't rebuilding someone's home after they were foolish enough to build it where natural disasters occur and not insure it.

These people must not have had mortgages either cause if you do, you have to have insurance.

We the people didn't create FEMA. However, I think it's a valid program to have to help our fellow citizens in need. It's the right thing to do in those circumstances. I'm happy to support it. Foolishness should not be encouraged.

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm talking about the house. I'm happy to lend a hand, provide food water, housing, medical assistance etc. I'm not for rebuilding a house. That's what insurance is for. That's why we have it. Otherwise why bother? Some assistance isn't rebuilding someone's home after they were foolish enough to build it where natural disasters occur and not insure it.

These people must not have had mortgages either cause if you do, you have to have insurance.

We the people didn't create FEMA. However, I think it's a valid program to have to help our fellow citizens in need. It's the right thing to do in those circumstances. I'm happy to support it. Foolishness should not be encouraged.
It is a bold person who would leave people homeless after a natural disaster.

"My house has burnt down. My livestock has no grazing. We were just about getting by until that power-line fell over and set the whole place ablaze."

"Yeah, I feel your pain. Here is some bottled water and some cans. If you need paracetamol, give us a call. We are here to help."

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
.....foolish enough to build it where natural disasters occur and not insure it. .....
Natural disasters, especially weather related, are increasing a lot in frequency and severity - thanks to human caused climate change. Insurance rates are going way up, consequently. A lot of people cant afford to properly insure anymore - and its only getting worse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Xcel energy says its power equipment may have caused huge Texas fire

The company has rejected allegations it was negligent in maintaining its electric lines, as a lawsuit claims.​

“Based on currently available information, Xcel Energy acknowledges that its facilities appear to have been involved in an ignition of the Smokehouse Creek fire,” the company said in a statement Thursday.

Xcel — the parent company of Southwest Public Service Company, which provides electricity to the Panhandle — said it was cooperating with a state agency investigating the blaze. It also disputed allegations the company was negligent in maintaining and operating its power equipment, one claim in a recent lawsuit filed against the utility.

“However, we encourage people who had property destroyed by or livestock lost in the Smokehouse Creek fire to submit a claim to Xcel Energy through our claims process,” said the company

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,533.00
Faith
Pentecostal
It is a bold person who would leave people homeless after a natural disaster.

"My house has burnt down. My livestock has no grazing. We were just about getting by until that power-line fell over and set the whole place ablaze."

"Yeah, I feel your pain. Here is some bottled water and some cans. If you need paracetamol, give us a call. We are here to help."
I don't believe I said homeless or give them a few cans and some water. If they had insurance like a wise person would then they would have a new house and insurance would cover expenses for them to stay somewhere.

As I said, foolishness should not be supported. It's a fool who says "I won't buy insurance because if something happens everyone else will support me and make sure I get a new house."

No one but a fool does that. Why are we supposed to support that? Be responsible. That's what freedom is. Maximum freedom with maximum responsibility. I have insurance on my house. And I don't have a mortgage anymore. My first house reunited that I have flood insurance because I lived near a river.

What do you mean "just about getting by?". If you have a house that's paid for and you are working, then you are not "just getting by". My house is paid for and believe me life is much easier when you do y have a house payment. That 1-2 grand a month extra goes a long way.

I suppose you believe we the people should make sure everyone in the US has a house and we all pitch in and pay for it too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,533.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Natural disasters, especially weather related, are increasing a lot in frequency and severity - thanks to human caused climate change. Insurance rates are going way up, consequently. A lot of people cant afford to properly insure anymore - and its only getting worse.
Yes they can, they had a house payment at one time. Insurance is way cheaper than a house payment.

And it's not human cause climate change. It's just climate change. If you have a mortgage you HAVE to have insurance. It's part of your house payment it. Didn't you know that?

If you don't have mortgage your insurance costs are far cheaper than a mortgage is. Mine is about $200 a month, maybe less. Most mortgages are over $1000 a month and that's a low one.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,533.00
Faith
Pentecostal

Xcel energy says its power equipment may have caused huge Texas fire

The company has rejected allegations it was negligent in maintaining its electric lines, as a lawsuit claims.​

“Based on currently available information, Xcel Energy acknowledges that its facilities appear to have been involved in an ignition of the Smokehouse Creek fire,” the company said in a statement Thursday.

Xcel — the parent company of Southwest Public Service Company, which provides electricity to the Panhandle — said it was cooperating with a state agency investigating the blaze. It also disputed allegations the company was negligent in maintaining and operating its power equipment, one claim in a recent lawsuit filed against the utility.

“However, we encourage people who had property destroyed by or livestock lost in the Smokehouse Creek fire to submit a claim to Xcel Energy through our claims process,” said the company
And that's another reason why the taxpayers shouldn't be paying for a new house. If this was caused by the energy company then their insurance should be paying. Combine that with your own insurance then you should have been covered. But if you were foolish enough to not buy insurance then suck it up and learn a lesson. Buy another house or rent something.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yes they can, they had a house payment at one time. Insurance is way cheaper than a house payment.

And it's not human cause climate change. It's just climate change. If you have a mortgage you HAVE to have insurance. It's part of your house payment it. Didn't you know that?

If you don't have mortgage your insurance costs are far cheaper than a mortgage is. Mine is about $200 a month, maybe less. Most mortgages are over $1000 a month and that's a low one.
Thats a good point. Im probably picturing old people who live on a lower income than in their mortgage paying days. Plus thinking of quite big insurance rate hikes in hurricane and flood prone areas.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums