Comic Book Religion: Which is your favorite?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Has anyone here seen Suicide Squad Yet?

Heard the complaints before the film came out, but in all fairness....after seeing it, I really do not know why critics were tripping on it. This kind of film is what actually REFLECTS why D.C comics was just as cool as Marvel comics, as every character in the comics was WELL represented in this film and the entire concept of Suicide Squad was brilliant. Would not be surprised with such things occurring in real life using inmates to do work for the government.

The entire concept of Suicide Squad has always been interesting...A constantly changing group composed mostly of incarcerated super-villains who perform black ops missions with a low chance of survival in exchange for the possibility of a shortened sentence.... organized and put together by Amanda Waller.

Deadshot was my favorite in the film... But if there's nothing else you see in this film, the best person to investigate will always be among my favorite characters in comics for YEARS...The girl whose mental state of mind is incorruptible ...whose "sharp mind, unmatched tactician strategy and a intellect similar to that of Batman’s (most likely the only known person to escape her wrath), mark her as one of the most complex characters DC has been known to develop."

Amanda Waller. Viola Davis nailed it .... brought the character to life. Thank You.

Still thinking the presentation of her in "Justice League Unlimited" IS still one of the best ones to date.

And for anyone knowing her origin story, it is very complex.

But the movie truly did justice to the character and what she does...as another noted best, "she's so complex and doesn't seem to have any allegiances to no one or attaches, but it's the opposite. She so hardcore that she cannot be intimated by no one, not EVEN THE BATMAN!!!!! And that's something worth of respect." On her comic origins, it is rather fascinating - tragic as well to see how losing her family made her become as ruthless as she was to do what she felt necessary to help the nation.
Amanda Waller .....will always be amazed at how this lady became so iconic in comic history for being so opposite in appearance from someone you'd think the Justice League would need to be fearful of. But this is the person I think of working in government that you DON'T want to mess with when seeing her ability to outsmart anyone she comes in contact with ....and it is such a fascinating character when considering how she's universally feared as one of the most ruthless women in espionage and politics.

As another noted wisely, "If we didn’t know the character, her physical look could indicate that she’s an overwhelmed bureaucrat unable to deal with a threat, or a maternal figure, or even a funny character. Readers now know that they should take the Wall seriously the same way they know they should take a man wearing bat ears seriously. They respect Amanda Waller for the same reason they respect a grown man in a onesie with an “S” on his chest. They’ve been trained to. Amanda Waller is a DC icon, albeit a lesser-known DC icon."

tumblr_lrk6gpi1g61qbujox.jpg

tumblr_lrk6hx6K461qbujox.jpg

tumblr_lrk6gpi1g61qbujox.jpg

tumblr_lrk6hx6K461qbujox.jpg

And the work she did with other organizations is a trip, as seen with regards to her work in an organization she called Checkmate - an organization whose goal is to make sure that all metahumangroups, such as the Justice League and Justice Society of America, are under the absolute control of the US government but second to Wonder Woman, she's one of the most powerful women in the D.C Universe.

latest

tumblr_obdgqwVQbX1sqep2mo1_1280.png

tumblr_obdgqwVQbX1sqep2mo2_1280.png

tumblr_o7jjoapgYa1twdz6wo1_1280.png

tumblr_oc2i0ramrm1rr8dpjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oc2i0ramrm1rr8dpjo2_1280.jpg

As another noted:

"Amanda Waller is a tough character to write because she’s almost always the antagonist. When she debuted as leader of the Suicide Squad in 1986, her squad didn’t care for her. Neither did her superiors. In later comics the she served under President Lex Luthor (Long story. Full of purple outfits.), [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ing off the heroes, and then turned on him, [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ing off Luthor. She made an enemy of the Justice League in the Justice League Unlimited TV series. She made an enemy of every supervillain in the DCU when she banished them to a distant planet in the Salvation Run comics series. The point is, nobody likes Amanda Waller....Nor should they. Waller does some shockingly evil things. Operating clandestinely, she tortures people, presses them into dangerous missions, and obviously considers members of her own squad collateral-damage-in-waiting. Early in her comic book career, she went to prison for leading a massacre of the leaders of a criminal organization. Her darkest moment came in the Justice League Unlimited TV series: As older heroes retired, she authorized an ultimately unsuccessful hit on a young boy’s parents in an attempt to make a new Batman.

She is persuaded out of the hit, and later repents of planning it at all. While Amanda Waller is the personification of the ends justifying the means, she is a stickler for those ends. She wants a secure world with as little death and destruction as possible. Unfortunately, in comics or shows geared to have a dark tone, sometimes the “ends” are removed. We get stories in which Amanda Waller orders the deaths of tens of thousands of people on a whim or covers up illegal dealings of politicians for no real reason."

Comics commentator Ardo Omer’s voice swells when she remembers the first time she came across Amanda Waller, the hard-ass leader of the Suicide Squad. It was in the mid-'00s, during an episode of Justice League Unlimited, a cartoon starring DC Comics characters that aired two decades after Waller debuted in DC’s Legends mini-series. “The first thing you see is Amanda Waller’s presence, the way she moves, even before she speaks,” recalls Omer, who is black. “She was this short, big, black woman — the kind of woman I’d grown up seeing in my neighborhood, calling them ‘aunties’ even though they weren’t related to me. And she was standing up to Batman!" Omer was in awe.

That moment is a decent encapsulation of what makes Waller groundbreaking in the annals of superhero fiction. When she was created in the mid-1980s by writer John Ostrander, she was explicitly supposed to be unlike any other comics persona. In a genre where women are drawn as pin-ups and black people are often either pure-hearted role models or streetwise hoodlums, she was — and is — something different: a middle-aged, heavy-set, profoundly cynical, African-American, female government apparatchik. She’s calculating, contradictory, and confrontational. She shouts down presidents and spandex-wearing crusaders.

5277875-tumblr_o933fs7nxu1rov369o10_1280.jpg

tumblr_inline_obcfb1skNe1u6k64d_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

So many of the comic book movies' story lines involve the villain opening some portal in the sky with a giant "sky beam". We've seen it Big Hero 6, the other Spiderman movies, Bay's TMNT movies, Avengers, Man of Steel, the new Ghostbusters, Suicide Squad, Bay's Transformers, and I think one of the new Star Trek movies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So many of the comic book movies' story lines involve the villain opening some portal in the sky with a giant "sky beam". We've seen it Big Hero 6, the other Spiderman movies, Bay's TMNT movies, Avengers, Man of Steel, the new Ghostbusters, Suicide Squad, Bay's Transformers, and I think one of the new Star Trek movies.
Ah - as far as I know, they need to learn to back away from that concept.....because it does get old.

• Agree
Reactions: awitch
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

If anyone hasn't seen the film yet, one of the best films to see would be Dr. Strange. Sorceror Supreme is very intensive as it is..facing beings within the realm of deities in Marvel Universes that others weren't able to handle well.

142273-196318-doctor-strange_super.png

Will probably see the film again, but I have to say that there's a lot to be said on how excellent the film is. And yes, loving Eastern culture/saving up to take a tour there of differing places and people (including monks) in the future, this film was very on point with how much of the world exists that we really don't know about.....including the reality of the multiverse/differing realms (or the many levels of Heaven per II Corinthians 12) and things existing that impact us without even knowing. Dr. Strange gives the idea that science does not have all the answers. There are some things that can’t be explain by science. Also, This movie talks about souls, spirit and after life.

chiwetel-ejiofor-splash-news-040516-433x650.jpg

Doctor-Strange-1-600x395.jpg

doctor-strange-has-2-end-credits-scenes--heres-what-they-mean-for-future-marvel-movies.jpg

tumblr_mr6s18eUjV1sextk4o1_1280.jpg

doctor-strange-05.jpg

b4d3f447b6549a0e82523e30906e5ccd.jpg

Loved the dress styles - and honestly, needing a robe.

His battles with Dormammu are amongst the greatest of all time:
1175121-dorm4.jpg
Dormammu.jpg

2864517-dormammu_hulk_vol_2_11_page_18_dormammu__earth_616_.jpg

qYE0qZ2.jpg

Doctor-Strange-vs-Dormammu-the-Amazing-Spider-Man.jpg

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There are several films that had very unique beginnings in the Comic World....

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Doctor Strange is the Marvel hero that actually got me interested in Marvel comics in high school. I've followed a lot of the films but I really enjoyed the Doctor Strange film that came out this year. It was an interesting balance of superheroism and mystical elements that scratched a certain itch for me. I would enjoy more work in that vein.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Doctor Strange is the Marvel hero that actually got me interested in Marvel comics in high school. I've followed a lot of the films but I really enjoyed the Doctor Strange film that came out this year. It was an interesting balance of superheroism and mystical elements that scratched a certain itch for me. I would enjoy more work in that vein.

Time for a Teen Titans live action movie. Or maybe one just about Raven :)

• Agree
Reactions: Zoness
Upvote 0

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Been reading alot of Star Trek comics lately. Though not directly in the comics, there is a scene in Deep Space Nine where Worf, when asked about the Klingon gods, says the following....

"Our gods are dead, ancient Klingon warriors slew them a millennia ago. They were more trouble than they were worth".

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There should be more films on that point that really illustrate the theological and supernatural realm :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
a Christian Atheist - or a Theistic Atheist in that one believes in God/the Creator and yet still feels the tension of being alone in the battle of being expected to serve as your Creator demands and yet feeling like it's largely on you

Enjoyed your very creative post. There are 1000s of references to heros like aquaman as earlier as late 2nd-millennia near-eastern writing.

It was your ending that caught me by surprise. Here you describe yourself as a "Christian Atheist." Now being a married bachelor myself, not to mention doodling a square circle, I know exactly what you mean. But for the sake of the other readers could you describe this view more fully?

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Been reading alot of Star Trek comics lately. Though not directly in the comics, there is a scene in Deep Space Nine where Worf, when asked about the Klingon gods, says the following....

"Our gods are dead, ancient Klingon warriors slew them a millennia ago. They were more trouble than they were worth".
I LOVE DS9!!!! Was just watching that the other night on Netflix - and yes, that episode called Homefront was rather interesting.

That said, the history of Startrek comics is a very fascinating one indeed (Star Trek comics information online ). I've seen several Star Trek comics that have been amazing. One of them had it where Spock ended up paralyzing Wolverine...from the "Star Trek/X-Men" crossover.

wolv+vs+spock+1a.jpg

wolv+vs+spock+1b.jpg

wolv+vs+spock+1c.jpg

wolv+vs+spock+2_a.jpg

wolv+vs+spock+2_b.jpg

wolv+vs+spock+2_c.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Time for a Teen Titans live action movie. Or maybe one just about Raven :)
The animated series based on the comics was wild enough...

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Enjoyed your very creative post. There are 1000s of references to heros like aquaman as earlier as late 2nd-millennia near-eastern writing.
?
Intriguing - can you clarify on the places you went for that basis? Would love to see what you read on the issue - and glad the post was enjoyable.

It was your ending that caught me by surprise. Here you describe yourself as a "Christian Atheist." Now being a married bachelor myself, not to mention doodling a square circle, I know exactly what you mean. But for the sake of the other readers could you describe this view more fully
If you would like to know or anyone else, you can go here - and for clarity, it helps to quote the FULL part of what someone says since I never said that I was a Christian Atheist in that post....or others, as far as I'm aware. Some of this I've shared on before here:

... there actually are groups of people within the camp such as Christian atheism.

If you're aware of people like Thomas Hobbs, there is actually a lot of overt expression with Christian Atheism within the religious ideas of Thomas Hobbes...more discussed within the book known as Religion, Politics and Thomas Hobbes By George Wright and 'Hobbes's Views on Religion and the Church between The Elements of Law and Leviathan: A Dramatic Change of Direction?

More specifically, Christian Atheism is a theological position in which the belief in the God of Christianity is rejected or absent but the moral teachings of Jesus are followed....much of it actually similar to what you'd find in Deism (also known as Moralistic Therapeutic Deism )/much of what the Founding Fathers were about....and similar to what many have spoken about within the world of Christianity when it comes to others who actually claim Christ and yet ignore what he was actually about.

Pastor Craig Groeschel--- Practical Atheist - YouTube
Craig Groeschel - The Christian Atheist Audiobook Ch. 1 - YouTube
Glad it was understood....

What was said was that Aquaman was similar to others who are like that when it comes to knowing God exists and angels (just as Aquaman believes in the Greek Gods) and yet he often does things often feeling alone - as if God really isn't involved in ALL details of life and there are moments we're simply living life on our own while being expected to live as He demands (even when not seeing him be personal with us) - and other times, they have doubts:)

Just giving out context:

As expansive as Aquamans' abilities are, he is still greatly limited by the world he lives in and continually burdened by the circumstances around him. Aquaman, to me, represents the reality of what it means to experience being a Christian Atheist - or a Theistic Atheist in that one believes in God/the Creator and yet still feels the tension of being alone in the battle of being expected to serve as your Creator demands and yet feeling like it's largely on you (as discussed before here).
Others don't see where things can seem similar with theistic agnosticism ( someone who believes in gods, but thinks that they could not know for sure that their god exists) and Christian Atheism (at least the variation I'm speaking of where one says they acknowledge Christ/God is real and yet largely as if they are on their own like he doesn't exist). Wonder Woman in the comics is very reverent of the Greek Pantheon - but Aquaman couldn't care less most of the time even in knowing...

aquaman.jpg

6f7f278ed9969d4bf0f729e95cc75239.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
The animated series based on the comics was wild enough...

This page of the thread inspired me to rewatch that series. I'm through Season 1 already and its bringing back a lot of memories. I forgot how dark and deep it was. I'm really enjoying my rewatch.

Upvote 0