Comic Book Religion: Which is your favorite?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Is there a specific religion within the world of comics (if a comic-book lover) that stands out to you more so than others? If anyone has any thoughts, would love to hear sometime. All I ask for all participating is 3 things:

1.) Be respectful even if you disagree with a character and share what about the religion/culture of the person you enjoy
2.) Give a picture of the comic you're speaking of, as not all may be aware of it..
3.) Have fun - this is a thread for the sake of fellowship and appreciation of the diversity within the comic world, as art truly does reflect life in many respecrs.
That said, one of my favorite comic religions of all time has to perhaps be the one from Aquaman's universe

I like it in regards to the way they took the mythology of Atlantis and Greek culture and merged that into the character - with them also taking Arthurian legends/Celtic concepts and making it a part of the history of the character, as seen in how he was at one point blessed with powers by the Lady of the Lake - the one who gave Arthur his sword Excaliber

arthuraquaman.jpg

To see them connect myths together is always amazing - but to see his characterization and symbolism is very significant.

aquaman.jpg

Aquaman_0003.jpg

injusticegods10pg10.gif

aquaman01222vt.jpg

264722-9517-120706-1-aquaman.jpg

818719a4a2d1afe6aa56fafa9e72b4fc.jpg

injustice3jpg-4809f5_640w.jpg

3869964-aquaman_0072.jpg

aquaman.jpg

Again, It is fascinating seeing how the religion of Aquaman (Arthur Curry/Orin) was also connected with Greek culture. More specifically, the kingdom Aquaman rules over is the culture of Atlantis (as he's an Atlantean-human hybrid )--and as is the case with most Atlanteans, Aquaman can be classified as a Greco-Roman classical religionist who worships Neptune (also known as Poseidon), God of the Seas. Interestingly enough, within the comic portrayal, Atlantean Neptune worship is essentially the "state religion" of Atlantis and the majority of Atlanteans are adherents, although as is the case with most state religions, religious observance varies among individuals, from nominal to devout....much in the same way that Russian Orthodoxy is the official state religion in Russia...even though not all celebrate it out of real concern for God as much as for cultural heritage. Whereas others are more devout in her devotion to their gods, others like Aquaman are not as "reverent" for a host of reasons. For Aquaman, what matters is the pragmatic side of things where there is belief in the creators of the world - and yet in the long scheme of things, he realizes that it's really upon him to ensure whether or not things get done. In Aquaman's world, he has to be the answer to his own prayers...

And he a very complicated character in that he is one who will do what is necessary to protect his people and represent the system of religion he came from even when it means that he will be an anti-hero or rebel to many other things in the process - someone who has access to an unknown realm that many are not aware of....and who seeks to ensure others respect what's present in nature and yet finds himself alone in the process. As another noted best:

While his power level and overall skill sets are mightily impressive, the land-based bias that we air-breathers have prevents many people from taking Aquaman seriously, and lots of folk typecast him in the role of the fish out of water (see what I did there).

Who is Aquaman?

Raised by a father who ran a lighthouse, Arthur Curry always knew he was different, but didn’t always know how or why. The ultimate reason was that his mother was an Atlantean princess and his father was a human, which made Arthur a rare half-breed, but also ultimately, the heir of the underwater Throne. His abilities manifested themselves most strongly when he was in water, and eventually, he joined the Justice League of America as a founding member.

...Does this character represent the powers or fight against them?

Aquaman is directly on the fence here. On one hand, he can be a radical eco-activist, who levels strong and valid critique to those who use and abuse the world, and especially its oceans for their own purposes. It is part the charm of Aquaman, honestly. Yet, on the other side, Aquaman firmly represents what amounts to the largest empire that has ever existed, given that he rules the entire ocean, and that covers 3/4 of the Earth. Also, when in his role as underwater king, Arther acts very much the part. He tries to avoid conflict, but ultimately often succumbs to the will of his people and often lets go of his strong morality in favor of pleasing this faction or that.

Does this character have a spirituality? No? I don't think it is really ever mentioned that I can think of, but the imagery of Atlantis is solidly Greek/Posidedonic. Also, in the one or two times in the last 60 years that Aquaman is seen to pray, it is to Father Neptune. Having said that, I can't think of Aquaman ever doing anything remotely religious or vaguely spiritual, besides uttering an oath before battle. So no. He is likely a nominal Neptunian. ...is constant struggle with his two lives breeds conflict and drama nearly every issue. He struggles as an outsider to both his peoples and you can really feel his tension at desperately wanting to fit in somewhere, but ultimately not. The fantasy and Arthurian legends that often overlay Aquaman's super-heroic stories form a depth that many comics don't reach.

As expansive as Aquamans' abilities are, he is still greatly limited by the world he lives in and continually burdened by the circumstances around him. Aquaman, to me, represents the reality of what it means to experience being a Christian Atheist - or a Theistic Atheist in that one believes in God/the Creator and yet still feels the tension of being alone in the battle of being expected to serve as your Creator demands and yet feeling like it's largely on you (as discussed before here).

Last edited:

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
I'm not particularly aware of any (fictional) religions within popular comic book series. If and when religion is referenced in most superhero comics, it's usually one that is still actively practiced (i.e. Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc.), or one that existed at some point in history (classic Hellenic paganism, norse mythology).

In terms of lesser known series, my favourite comic book religion is definitely the one we find in Alan Moore's Promethea:

promethea.jpg

Promethea was originally a little girl living in late antiquity, whose family was killed by a Christian mob in 411. Taken in by the god Hermes-Toth and transfigured into the realm of ideas, she became a goddess signifying creativity and enlightenment, carrying the spark of inspiration to mankind.
She manifests through mortal women (and, in at least one notable case, men), and eventually ushers in the End of The World As We Know It, which turns out to be markedly different from what everyone expects. It's a true Revelation.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Gxg (G²);66514069 said:
Is there a specific religion within the world of comics (if a comic-book lover) that stands out to you more so than others?

I'm not aware of any. Do you have a list handy?

The only one I can think of does not come from superhero comics. The deities come from the adaption of Michael Moorcock's Corum series.

62_25688_0_ChroniclesofCorum8.jpg

There are deities of Law and of Chaos, two opposing sides of a struggle all throughout the Multiverse. The interesting thing is that while Corum fights for Law, neither side (Law or Chaos) is really the "good" side, despite how appealing Law might seem. The best choice is neutrality.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There's actually a fascinating website that does an amazing job covering all the major religions within the world of comics - as seen here in the following:

The only one I can think of does not come from superhero comics. The deities come from the adaption of Michael Moorcock's Corum series.

There are deities of Law and of Chaos, two opposing sides of a struggle all throughout the Multiverse. The interesting thing is that while Corum fights for Law, neither side (Law or Chaos) is really the "good" side, despite how appealing Law might seem. The best choice is neutrality.

eudaimonia,

Mark
Haven't heard of that series before - but it seems fascinating. The concept is one I've heard of before, similar to the world of Yin-Yang and how balance is always needed.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens

eudaimonia,

Mark
It is interesting to note how Order/Law seems to be such an appealing concept to many people - at least at first glance. Maybe it is the cultural history of my home country that has always rendered me skeptical of Order/Law in fantasy settings: after all, the fascist/Nazi ideal was always emphasizing the value of marching in rank and file, the virtue of a community forged by one single purpose, in short: of Law and Order.

While a middle ground is obviously the best solution, Chaos has always been the more appealing of the two extremes to me, signifying unbridled creative energy and change.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is interesting to note how Order/Law seems to be such an appealing concept to many people - at least at first glance. Maybe it is the cultural history of my home country that has always rendered me skeptical of Order/Law in fantasy settings: after all, the fascist/Nazi ideal was always emphasizing the value of marching in rank and file, the virtue of a community forged by one single purpose, in short: of Law and Order.

While a middle ground is obviously the best solution, Chaos has always been the more appealing of the two extremes to me, signifying unbridled creative energy and change.

I don't know if you've ever read any of Moorcocks novels but they are pretty much an exploraton of the concepts of order and chaos.

The Elric series is a good place to start.

Well after you've read "The Eternal Champion".

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't know if you've ever read any of Moorcocks novels but they are pretty much an exploraton of the concepts of order and chaos.

The Elric series is a good place to start.

Well after you've read "The Eternal Champion".

You can start with the first Elric novel without any problems. You could even start with the first novel in The Chronicles of Corum without any problem either. You just won't get the big picture right away.

Personally, I think that it is more fun to be eased into the big picture instead of getting it at the start. But that is a matter of taste.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm not particularly aware of any (fictional) religions within popular comic book series. If and when religion is referenced in most superhero comics, it's usually one that is still actively practiced (i.e. Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc.), or one that existed at some point in history (classic Hellenic paganism, norse mythology).
There are actually lots of religions present within the comics which actually go beyond those actively practiced.

One can see examples like the Shi'ar Empire from the "X-Men" universe....e cold-blooded humanoids of avian descent who resemble humans with feathered crests atop their heads in lieu of hair. On their history, "Philosophy
Traditionally, the Imperium has aggressively absorbed new cultures. Warren Ellis' 1995 Starjammers limited series described the story of the Shi'ar deities Sharra and K'ythri as a parable which guides the Shi'ar expansionist philosophy to other worlds:

"Sharra and K'ythri are the gods in marriage. The gods who didn't want to marry, but were forced into it. In marriage they found strength and in strength they found love. That's what the Shi'ar Imperium does. It marries other cultures. Shotgun weddings." There are aggressive and violent ancient traditions, such as the Rite of Arin'nn Haelar, which is a battle to the death. This rite can be invoked to settle disagreements and their outcomes are accepted by the Imperium."​

406px-Shi'ar_Head.jpg

There's also the religion from John Carter of Mars...as it concerns their worship of a Supreme Creator known as Isis (who is a female) - all of it based on Martian religion. But there are other middle-men beings known as Therns who claim to represent Issus and are a threat to Barsoom since they have been misrepresenting things. As another commented more in-depth:

Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Mars is basically like earth – lots of evenly matched civilizations destroying each other for centuries until one gets an advanced technology (gunpowder, etc) and annihilates the other side. But there is also an element of magic, mysticism and religion. The main God (Goddess, actually) on Mars is Isis, and her desires are arbitrated by a supremely advanced, but nevertheless biological, group of beings called the Holy Therns (in other words, the white men… in the novels, John Carter is, like the Therns, the rare white man surrounded by technologically lesser savages).

In both worlds (Earth and Mars) the savages are supremely religious and superstitious, but also dogmatic, closed to change and violent.

The plot revolves around the Thern interfering in Martian history by giving an advanced weapon to a brute leader who will dominate and rule the planet for the years to come. They have chosen him for this role.

This is important – they aren’t interested in ruling themselves; in fact they’ve gone to great lengths to make everybody believe that they don’t really exist. They work very hard at staying invisible, and yet guiding the historical developments. They do this so that they can forge alliances with the leaders they’ve elected, who will let them plunder the planet for valuable resources (exactly as, for example, America’s leaders treat Middle Eastern countries – by supplying weaponry behind the scenes to make sure the person in charge will sell them cheap oil).

The Therns have no interest in helping these races develop or mature; in fact if a smart, benign race were given technology, they would use science to control and understand it – eventually perhaps being able to stand up to the Therns and throwing off the colonialistic plundering. Hence they sabotage the princess’s very close attempt at replicating the technology.​

background.jpg

John-Carter_The-Gods-of-Mars_3-674x1024.jpg
John-Carter_Warlord_of_Mars_01_dynamite.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
I am quite fond of the "Rh'llor"-faith as described in the "Song of Ice and Fire" (which has also been turned into a comic, so I am not cheating here): not because it is particularly appealing, but because it manages to defy the typical "good vs. evil"-stereotype so common in fantasy literature - while simultaneously perceiving the world in exactly such stark black-and-white terms.

Many people - particularly those who've only watched the TV show adaptation - think of the Red Priestess Melisande as one of the more straightforward villains of the story, but she is nothing of the sort. Her visions are genuine - she only applies them to the wrong person, thinking that Stannis fits the symbolic imagery she has seen in the flames, while they quite obviously reference Daenerys Stormborn instead.
Her "the end justifies the means"-philosophy might be just as unappealing as her tendency to view everything in terms of "if you are not with the Lord of Light, you are against him", but given what's happening beyond the Wall, her approach might not be altogether unjustified.

Upvote 0

gord44

Nov 4, 2004
✟27,716.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am quite fond of the "Rh'llor"-faith as described in the "Song of Ice and Fire" (which has also been turned into a comic, so I am not cheating here): not because it is particularly appealing, but because it manages to defy the typical "good vs. evil"-stereotype so common in fantasy literature - while simultaneously perceiving the world in exactly such stark black-and-white terms.

Many people - particularly those who've only watched the TV show adaptation - think of the Red Priestess Melisande as one of the more straightforward villains of the story, but she is nothing of the sort. Her visions are genuine - she only applies them to the wrong person, thinking that Stannis fits the symbolic imagery she has seen in the flames, while they quite obviously reference Daenerys Stormborn instead.
Her "the end justifies the means"-philosophy might be just as unappealing as her tendency to view everything in terms of "if you are not with the Lord of Light, you are against him", but given what's happening beyond the Wall, her approach might not be altogether unjustified.

You know nothing Jane Snow.

The true god is the Drowned God! Embrace him and spend eternity in his watery halls!

I remember reading AFFC and finding the Ironborne Drowned God interesting. Especially the part where devotees would be ritually drowned and if they could be revived they would be initiated into the clergy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
You know nothing Jane Snow.

The true god is the Drowned God! Embrace him and spend eternity in his watery halls!

I remember reading AFFC and finding the Ironborne Drowned God interesting. Especially the part where devotees would be ritually drowned and if they could be revived they would be initiated into the clergy.

I found that pretty interesting, too - but we know comparatively little about that faith apart from that. (And the phrase "what is dead may never die" has a somewhat Lovecraftian vibe to it, hasn't it?)

The Many-Faced God is also an interesting concept, treating death in all of its facets, surprisingly many of them benevolent.

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know if this *directly* relates to the topic, but most of my favorite comic-book characters have been "gods," demi-gods, or representatives of the "gods" -- In the Marvel Comics Universe, Thor
thor-kirby.jpg
and the other Asgardians, and Hercules
250px-Incredible_Hercules_Vol_1_133_Hercules_%28Earth-616%29.png
and the other Olympians. In the DC Universe, Orion and the other "gods" of New Genesis
NewGods1cover_sml.jpg
; Captain Marvel
captain_marvel_by_krissthebliss-d5gks5w.jpg
, as a representative of Olympus (a really, really muddled one, with powers from gods, titans, demi-gods... and SOLOMON???); Wonder Woman, also of Olympus (I like the animated Young Justice version best)
tiki-download_file.php
; and the very short-lived 1960s comic-book version of Captain Action
Captain_Action_Vol_1_1.jpg

I always wished CA could have been tweaked just slightly, and the title continued to see how his storyline would mesh with the "New Gods," and with Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel / Shazam.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There was actually an excellent review on the matter not too long ago elsewhere - as seen in Episode 4: Judaism And Islam In Comics - ComicVerse (Podcast)- Player FM (part 1, part 2, etc.)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if this *directly* relates to the topic, but most of my favorite comic-book characters have been "gods," demi-gods, or representatives of the "gods" -- In the Marvel Comics Universe, Thor
thor-kirby.jpg
and the other Olympians. In the DC Universe, Orion and the other "gods" of New Genesis
NewGods1cover_sml.jpg
; Captain Marvel
, as a representative of Olympus (a really, really muddled one, with powers from gods, titans, demi-gods... and SOLOMON???); Wonder Woman, also of Olympus (I like the animated Young Justice version best)
tiki-download_file.php

I always wished CA could have been tweaked just slightly, and the title continued to see how his storyline would mesh with the "New Gods," and with Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel / Shazam.
Never heard of Captain Action - or the religious themes present in his storyline...but it seems interesting. Also, I forgot about the New Gods of New Genesis and Orion (The Dog of War). They had a very cool mythology

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In case anyone is interested, a fellow with 'way too much time on his hands has deduced the religion of most superheroes from story clues:

Religion of Comic Book Characters (esp. Super-Heroes)

Back in the Silver Age when I was actively reading comics, besides the obvious ones that were gods or demi-gods in themselves (Wonder Woman, Thor, Darkseid, et cetera), the one I knew for sure was Ben Grimm, who was easily deduced as Jewish even back then.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
thor-kirby.jpg
NewGods1cover_sml.jpg
; Captain Marvel
tiki-download_file.php
On that issue as it concerns demi-gods and representatives of the gods, one of my favorite storylines comes from something known as "Planet Hulk -

It's story line which led the Hulk to being transported to another world after the heroes on Earth exiled him. Specifically, the Hulk had undertaken a mission to save the world from a rogue satellite - but when it came time for him to go back to Earth, the shuttle sent him away from the planet since it turned out the Illuminati decided the Hulk was too much of a danger to the world and shot him into space...and on another planet that actually suited him better, he ended up leading a resistance movement to dethrone a corrupt king of the planet who enslaved the people/others from differing races. Later, Hulk was essentially deemed a Messiah Figure on a Gladiator/War-torn planet of different races. They claimed him to be the Sakaarson, which is based on a prophecy stating that a hero would free the people of Sakaar ...a concept that also has it where the contrast to the Sakaarson is the World Breaker, the person who would bring ruin to the planet. And how the Hulk arrives is fascinating when seeing His arrival occuring as a Sakaarian Shadow Priest prays to the planet’s absent religious savior for deliverance from the tyranny of the evil Red King (as the group initially believed that Red King was the Sakaarson as he and the Death's Head Guards saved the people from alien enemies called Spikes during the Spike Wars - with others like Priest Hiroim not following their lead and spoking out against Red King, leading to him leaving the priesthood and eventually forced into the gladiator games.)......amazing seeing that Hulk, known as a rage-filled monster on Earth, becomes a Christ in disguise on Sakaar via a clever rehabilitation, and a logical one, given the hero’s limitations.

As another noted best about what's interesting with the set-up, "The Hulk's blood is able to grow plant life on the barren planet... This basically sets the Hulk up to be the savior of the planet. It also brings up an interesting situation where we have a Christ-like figure with a temper that is closer to the God of the Old Testament."...and as it concerns his companions, they live in a culture of war.

At one point, "the gladiators agree to become Warbound to each other, standing by one another's side no matter what might come and the Hulk joins in the oath, gaining new friends only a day or two after he pretty much shrugged them off when they offered an alliance in the Maw." The story is quite beautiful - with the Hulk himself even finding love/marriage with one of the warriors who used to be against him....and yet even after all he did to bring peace to the world, those against him (via the ship they sent him to the planet on) ended up harming the planet via a massive explosion and it was all taken away from him (including the wife he made on the planet w[URL="http://www.comicvine.com/articles/skaar-son-of-hulk-is-going-strong/1100-133447/"]ho was pregnant who survives) - with it ending on a note where Hulk says that for a moment there he actually believed what they said about him being the Sakaarson and how he was going to save and unite them, but that he was the Worldbreaker all along (and that He thinks that he just didn't know that they were too) . It was a very tragic ending[/URL] - but the storyline was amazing :)

World_Breaker.jpg

Planet Hulk: Hulk VS The Red King - YouTube

Planet Hulk #1 / The Incredible Hulk #92 - YouTube

Planet Hulk #2 / The Incredible Hulk #93 - YouTube

Planet Hulk #3 / The Incredible Hulk #94 - YouTube

Planet Hulk #4 / The Incredible Hulk #95 - YouTube

Planet Hulk #5 / The Incredible Hulk #96 - YouTube

Planet Hulk #6 / The Incredible Hulk #97 - YouTube

Planet Hulk #7 / The Incredible Hulk #98 - YouTube

Planet Hulk #8 / The Incredible Hulk #99 - YouTube

Planet Hulk #9 / The Incredible Hulk #100 - YouTube

Planet Hulk #10 / The Incredible Hulk #101 - YouTube

Planet Hulk #10 / The Incredible Hulk #101 - YouTube

Planet Hulk #11 / The Incredible Hulk #102 / Hulk vs. The Red King - YouTube

Planet Hulk #12 / The Incredible Hulk #103 - YouTube

Planet Hulk #13 / The Incredible Hulk #104 - YouTube

Planet Hulk #14 / The Incredible Hulk #105 - YouTube

World War Hulk Smash (Part 1) - YouTube

World War Hulk Smash (Part 2) - YouTube

World War Hulk Smash (Part 3) - YouTube

WORLD WAR HULK vs. THE AVENGERS & THE FANTASTIC FOUR - YouTube

World War Hulk Smash (Part 4) - YouTube

World War Hulk Smash (Part 5) - YouTube

Hulk is already amazing enough of a character - and the series really brought him to the forefront of things. And when Hulk gets into World Breaker Mode (as seen in World War Hulk), heaven help folks (as it has nearly destroyed the earth twice). The World Breaker Mode of Hulk originally comes from the Green Skar version. This version of the Hulk was a combination of efforts between Banner and the more intelligent of the green personalities. Working with Banner's intelligence and cooperation, again, Hulk took control of the planet Sakaar, bringing peace to the land, marrying and even conceiving two children, Skaar and Hiro-Kala - with Skaar going on to do amazing things and him becoming a powerful ally, despite the conflicts he and his father had and it took a lot of time to work on...

But with Hulk, After his kingdom was demolished, he returned to Earth to wage war on the Illuminati. The Green Scar is a very skilled fighter since on Sakaar he used various weapons as a gladiator in the arena. This particular version of the Hulk also works with Banner, and they use many strategies to bring down his opponents, which makes him a much more formidable foe and a great leader. The Green scar or The World War Hulk has displayed his brute force through many feats, and is by far the strongest Hulk there has ever been. He was able to defeat the Fantastic Four, the X-Men/X-Force (simultaneously), the members of the illumination (although Black Bolt was revealed to be a skrull), Red Hulk, the Juggernaut, the Sentry himself and he even held planet Sakaar form falling apart with brute strength.

hulk-019.jpg

7692241d657fa31e4cf0979cd4238338.jpg

But that's beside the point. Why I apprecited the Hulk is because of the ways religion took on an entirely different meaning with him present - especially when seeing that he himself came.....and it was amazing seeing the way that there was a sense of a Theistic system that acknowledged a Divine Creator - yet also made rule for other beings who ruled in the name of the High one....some might see this similar to the concept of Monolatry (or even Henotheism) (concerning rule being based on the means of strength and whoever is the mightiest one able to subdue all others - a fitting background to go around the Hulk).

On Messianic Figures within Henotheism, I thought it was fascinating to see someone as conflicted as the Hulk become a figure of inspiration/hope to another world - ironic in light of the fact that the Hulk is actually a lasped Catholic with immense guilt over the destruction caused by the Hulk - and someone who never WANTED to be a Messiah figure.

And with those who are war-bound, it's fascinating to see how they are deeply religious (especially the Shadow People and their religion that's similar to Panentheism except that it allows for a Messianic figure representing connection to the world to arise who can connect with the Old Power - a force akin to the bio-spheric energy, or 'life force,' of planets which gives the wielder earth-manipulation abilities and an energy-enhanced strike) - and yet all come from differing cultures. Being one who believes in God and yet knowing that God has worked in all cultures (even from a hidden perspective), I think it's amazing to see how the story line went . Sakaar is a fascinating place

1343144-skaar_banner.jpg

pl7.jpg

Hulk_PH.jpg

0.jpg

Exile006.jpg

Planet-Hulk-smashes-through-on-Marvels-animated-DVD.jpg

Exile3-7.jpg

Anarchy2-6.jpg

Exile4-5.jpg

HulkWedding1.png

HulkWedding2.png

HulkWedding3.png

Allegiance3-4.jpg

Allegiance3-5.jpg

Allegiance3-6.jpg

HulkWedding4.png

HulkWedding5.png

2208843-hulkdurability.jpg

2208844-hulkdurability1.jpg

2208872-hulkstrength4.jpg

Panet_Hulk_1_lg.jpg

Planet_Hulk_6_lg.jpg

Planet_Hulk_3_lg.jpg

planet-hulk-wallpaper-1024x768.jpg

World+War+Hulk+2-1.JPG

worldwarhulk2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Gxg (G²);66550300 said:
Never heard of Captain Action - or the religious themes present in his storyline...but it seems interesting. ...

The character was first a toy from Ideal. Originally, CA could become "any" superhero (meaning of course "any" for which Ideal had a license). You'd buy the basic character in that blue and black costume, and then separately buy the kits for the other characters -- Batman, Superman, Aquaman, Captain America, Sgt. Fury, Spiderman, the Phantom, the Lone Ranger, Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, a few others.

The comic book retained the name and the costume, and in a few panels of the first or second issue, the "Silver Streak" amphibicar, but NOTHING else from the toy line.

The concept in the comics was that CA was archaeologist "Clive Arno" (apparently somehow with Bruce Wayne level money and scientific skills) who with his associate "Krellik" (a Luthor lookalike) discovered a strange site: In a single location, it showed evidence of a dozen or more different cultures from around the ancient world. They came upon a cache of coins, each bearing the face of a different ancient god.

When Arno buffed the coin of Vidar to a pristine shine, he suddenly felt strange, stumbled out of his tent, and somehow realized he could almost effortlessly lift their Jeep over his head.

To speed up the process of cleaning the coins, he and Krellik used some kind of "ionizer" machine. Apparently the beings that left the coins anticipated just such an action, because the energy triggered an immersive holographic message. The "gods" were actually extraterrestrials called "Apsu." They had decided to leave the earth, but elected to leave behind tokens of their presence and power, mainly the coins, which would imbue any *worthy* holder with many of the powers of the featured deity. (Of course, being DC, especially in the '60s, they couldn't have a hero more powerful than the Big Blue Boy Scout, so CA could only have the powers of six gods at a time, because he could only carry five coins in the compartment in his belt, plus one in the lining of his hat -- even though one would have thought the wisdom of Odin could have come up with something WAY better than that. And in the third issue, they "depowered" him even further by having all the coins except four get lost in an earthquake. He kept the three that fused together -- Zeus/Thor, Herakles/Vidar, and Heimdall -- and gave his son Hermes/Hermod, basically turning him into another Kid Flash.)

One thing that seriously annoyed me even as a kid was that the writer decided all the gods from all the pantheons were really the same, but known by different names. So Zeus was Thor, Vidar was Herakles, Ares was Tyr, etc.

The series only ran for five issues, and apart from the first issue, maybe the second, I don't recall any other evidence of the larger DC continuity.

The "New Gods" quadrilogy (Is that a word?) originally ran only about a year (less for a few titles, 14 months for Mr. Miracle, IIRC). But the characters and approach influenced DC forever.

Upvote 0