Comic Book Religion: Which is your favorite?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

tumblr_mef4rukQRN1qc63ooo1_r1_1280.jpg

Amazing story line that was interesting when considering the dynamic of mutants vs. vampires and the differing ideologies that are present....as seen in the
Curse of the Mutants (Story Arc)

4cc1fec623a07.jpg
'

jubileevampire7.jpg

jubileevampire17.jpg

X-Men_4_0024.jpg

X-Men_6_0011.jpg

X-Men_4_0004.jpg

X-Men_4_0017.jpg

X-Men_4_0019.jpg

X-Men_5_0008-0009.jpg

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I LOVE this thread, haven't read thru all 17 pages yet...

I LOVE comics too.

One time Thor went into Hades to rescue Hercules, who had been imprisoned and could only get out of Hades if another champion fought for him, so Thor did. I guess a blend of Norse religion and Greek religion...

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Glad to know that the thread has been enjoyable for you in many ways :)
I LOVE comics too.
I think the comic world is fascinating :)
One time Thor went into Hades to rescue Hercules, who had been imprisoned and could only get out of Hades if another champion fought for him, so Thor did. I guess a blend of Norse religion and Greek religion...
Fascinating - which reference are you referring to on the matter?

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I LOVE comics too.
As it concerns comics I have gotten recently and that have made me think, I recently got a hold of "Planet of the Apes: The Human War"

775511.jpg

And I have to say the series is amazing since it shows the dynamics of apes/man having so many variations in their organizations as a motif for how society works with the ways camps evolve in the midst of a culture at war:

-Camps saying two sides (or differing expressions of the same species/family) can NEVER come together/must forever be at war while losing lives on both sides due to both being ignorant of each other....choosing to live in ignorance of each other and hating because others in their respective culture say you have to hate each other - some believing others are as bad as they were told and others feeling that people coming from an oppressive culture will never be able to be trusted.

-Camps having two sides working together in-spite of people in their respective sides saying they can't be together as friends, yet they may not see how their newly created camp will not even acknowledge the messes happening in their world because of how fragile their peace is (i.e. isolated/insulated with an artificial peace where you cab look progressive/diverse while you can never discuss real issues others don't feel comfortable with while your community ends up losing relevance to the outside world because you're focused on preserving a culture and ignoring the problems harming others in the cultures people come from)......and many times, those camps which are full of people uncomfortable find that the people with discomfort speaking are the ones coming from the more oppressive cultures/used to being in the lead - meaning they actively try to assert their privilege/ability to be the ones leading even when trying to have others together from the camps their own cultures didn't understand or like....

-Camps radical (negatively) in the sense that they actively work to ensure that there's mutual separation between groups at all costs, not being dedicated to working together except in the sense that they're committed to ensuring that both sides do not have to work together at all.

-Camps a bit more radical than the camp simply having differing groups from multiple ethnic groups present in the sense that they do not ignore differences in experiences for groups in their respective worlds, being ethnically conscious but not ethnically controlled, and wishing to come together/deal with the issues outside of their world as it concerns how the politics surrounding them are harming them and they fight to ensure all are equally heard in their groups rather than simply asked to be tokens or symbolic....unity in radical diversity. And their willingness to be aggressive in taking the battle to the cultures around them causes them to have enemies with both groups hating each other/wanting no unity and groups trying to unify together - but still hating to really listen to uncomfortable subjects that keep equality (and equity within their respective worlds) from playing out. It can be difficult at times for this camp since the main battle is always ensuring how to change their culture from the top down or bottom up - and being nuanced in how they wage war since they know they cannot afford trying to combat social issues thinking the goal is to eradicate tension between groups. They are comfortable knowing there can be differences as long as others are wiling to have understanding....​

There are other variations - but suffice to say, it's very fascinating :) And it ultimately does an excellent job of bringing home the point "the lines between good and evil runs right down every single person." For the series is truly a re-imagining of issues on racism/prejudice, be it in the U.S. from our founding through slavery to the Civil War, or the British Empire/other empires oppression of groups and the groups that arise to oppose corrupt orders. It is fascinating to see that while some apes and humans want to live in peace, most operate from a fearful racist mindset - Apes want to enslave/dominate or kill humans in memory for what humans did, whereas humans want to do the same thing when given an opportunity ...never remembering where it did the same as the apes. Each group denies that the other is more than simply “animal” in nature, which is quite interesting when seeing what it takes to bring both sides together.

Definitely thinking it's a series worth investing in....

And just to be clear, as I've seen this brought up before whenever someone says they even enjoy Planet of the Apes as a saga and then assumes you're for all aspects of the theory of Evolution....when it comes to the issue of man being related to apes, there'd be nothing wrong with this (In my opinion).

Secifically, Under the Scientific classification of Anthropoids:
Sub-Order: Anthropoidea,
Infra-Order: Catarrhine,
Super-family: Homonoidea,
Subfamily: Homininae,
Tribe: Hominini,
Species: Human.
The other "tribe" under Homininae is: Panini, Species: Chimpanzees. Humans are different from other primates in that we don't have an insulating layer of hair - allowing us to control body temperature through sweating. AND Our females go through a menopause sometime quite early in life, while other primates don't. And this wouldn't be an issue for "Creationists" in any way. Dr. Porsche built the original "Bebe" Renault, and the Economy models of the early Mercedes rear engine vehicles - AND the Volkswagens (in 1939). When one looks at the "guts" of the three (and of others he did) one can see a distinctive commonality of design, and similar features among all three - making it clear that the same "thought process" produced all three vehicles. BUT Nobody would try to prove that a Volkswagen was a "Bebe Renault" - but could easily demonstrate that the same "creator" was involved in both of 'em.

According to mainstream science, people note humans are not apes because of the differences in SPECIES. Others may say there's negative baggage associated with it as a basis for not wanting to use the term--but for most, it's a simple matter of categorical correctness and what scientists have often noted when pointing out that man and ape are not the same..and noting that others trying to merge the two at any costs do not understand taxonomy or classification properly.

Humans are a type of primate, just as apes are a type of primate. They have never been seen in the same categories on all things and that's a basic of science that people in anthropology have often pointed out. The same goes for other species (i.e. baboons, monkeys, etc). Monkeys are not even considered Apes...as they're a in a group below them on the ladder. That often gets discussed repeatedly in Anthropology classes whenever make claims on evolution (be it for or against) that monkeys are apes...

Some Christians think belief in evolution undermines the uniqueness of humankind and the reality of evil and the fall....but I disagree. I am glad for others who were devout Christians/contemporaries of Darwin, such as Asa Gray , bringing awareness to the fact that God can use certain processes in nature to accomplish his ends. For the Genesis account portrays Adam and Eve as Neolithic farmers. It is perfectly feasible that God bestowed His image on representative Homo sapiens already living in the Near East to generate what John Stott has called Homo divinus, those who first enjoyed personal fellowship with God but who then fell most terribly from their close walk with God (Genesis 3.8). All those who disobey God and trust in their own wisdom in place of Gods law reiterate the historical fall in their own being (Ezekiel 28.11-19). I don't see anything wrong with advocating that God may've made two species that have similarities and may've indeed come from the same stock while choosing to impart one aspect of Himself into one of the groups to make them far superior/advanced than all others in creation.

Not too long ago, there was an article from BIO Logos I came across..and I thought it was intriguing when it came to discussing what's seen in Genesis and renconcilling that with Anthroplogy.

For more:

What they offered seemed insightful and, IMHO, it does bring up an entirely different realm of conversation when considering Genesis and how God described the role of Man (as well as the Devil) and the story of creation all the way up to Genesis 6/the Flood.

Although I think the story of Adam/Eve is literal, I think the interpretation of it often gets missed. Where scripture says "God made man from the Dust of the Ground", I've always been curious as to why many say its somehow impossible for the Lord to have made other species similar to man (i.e. apes, primates, etc) and then with man, breath his spirit into man....with the Gift of God's Spirit imparted being what set man apart.

The text doesn't say that only having 4 fingers/thumbs is what makes man in the "Image of God"...as other creatures share similar genetic make-up on some parts & have the same body parts. Yet that doesn't mean that we're the same fully. If apes /other species and humans were 100% the same in all things, it'd definately place an entirely different spin on the film "Rise of the Planet of the Apes."

Seeing the Film puts an enitrely DIFFERENT spin on what it means to be in a Zoo---and makes one wonder what would happen if indeed was the case that something was naturally able to develop that'd be against man. For animals have learned to use tools, as well as to communicate on high levels of intelligence/network...even using tools to do things. Though never on the level as man, there's no saying that it could not happen where intelligence/development grew enough where a threat to man's survival occurred. Of course, if that happened like in "Planet of the Apes, they I'd say Apes would be seen as another creation of the "Beasts of the Field" (Genesis 1:24-25)...and having to fight against other species evolving would be an extension of the mandate from God to "Have Dominion" (Genesis 1:26-31). ..with both connected and what's seen in anthropology with "common links"/similar actions kept in place...

Either way, ultimately, those issues are separate from the fact that a good story is still a good story (and just like peanut butter jelly sandwiches, some like jelly on top while others like it on the bottom - it's all about how you flip it, thanks for the reminder Asaph Brown : ) ) - and I do thank God for others able to enjoy a narrative without thinking you have feel it is meant to explain multiple other issues in debate when the story was meant to convey a more simpler reality :)

item3986.2.jpg

item3986.3.jpg

item3986.5.jpg

item3986.6.jpg

item3986.7.jpg

safe_image.php

latest

39744dbfb2c387ec5159b67133290911.jpg

planet_of_the_apes_by_macallalfredo-d5715nm.jpg

2596410-planet_of_the_apes___the_human_war__1___page_1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I LOVE comics too.
Is there a specific comic you enjoy or prefer?

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As it concerns comics I have gotten recently and that have made me think, I recently got a hold of "Planet of the Apes: The Human War" that I got since it shows the dynamics of apes/man having so many variations in their organizations as a motif for how society works with the ways camps evolve in the midst of a culture at war:

-Camps saying two sides (or differing expressions of the same species/family) can NEVER come together/must forever be at war while losing lives on both sides due to both being ignorant of each other....choosing to live in ignorance of each other and hating because others in their respective culture say you have to hate each other - some believing others are as bad as they were told and others feeling that people coming from an oppressive culture will never be able to be trusted.

-Camps having two sides working together in-spite of people in their respective sides saying they can't be together as friends, yet they may not see how their newly created camp will not even acknowledge the messes happening in their world because of how fragile their peace is (i.e. isolated/insulated with an artificial peace where you cab look progressive/diverse while you can never discuss real issues others don't feel comfortable with while your community ends up losing relevance to the outside world because you're focused on preserving a culture and ignoring the problems harming others in the cultures people come from)......and many times, those camps which are full of people uncomfortable find that the people with discomfort speaking are the ones coming from the more oppressive cultures/used to being in the lead - meaning they actively try to assert their privilege/ability to be the ones leading even when trying to have others together from the camps their own cultures didn't understand or like....

-Camps radical (negatively) in the sense that they actively work to ensure that there's mutual separation between groups at all costs, not being dedicated to working together except in the sense that they're committed to ensuring that both sides do not have to work together at all.

-Camps a bit more radical than the camp simply having differing groups from multiple ethnic groups present in the sense that they do not ignore differences in experiences for groups in their respective worlds, being ethnically conscious but not ethnically controlled, and wishing to come together/deal with the issues outside of their world as it concerns how the politics surrounding them are harming them and they fight to ensure all are equally heard in their groups rather than simply asked to be tokens or symbolic....unity in radical diversity. And their willingness to be aggressive in taking the battle to the cultures around them causes them to have enemies with both groups hating each other/wanting no unity and groups trying to unify together - but still hating to really listen to uncomfortable subjects that keep equality (and equity within their respective worlds) from playing out. It can be difficult at times for this camp since the main battle is always ensuring how to change their culture from the top down or bottom up - and being nuanced in how they wage war since they know they cannot afford trying to combat social issues thinking the goal is to eradicate tension between groups. They are comfortable knowing there can be differences as long as others are wiling to have understanding....​

There are other variations - but suffice to say, it's very fascinating :) And it ultimately does an excellent job of bringing home the point "the lines between good and evil runs right down every single person." For the series is truly a re-imagining of issues on racism/prejudice, be it in the U.S. from our founding through slavery to the Civil War, or the British Empire/other empires oppression of groups and the groups that arise to oppose corrupt orders. It is fascinating to see that while some apes and humans want to live in peace, most operate from a fearful racist mindset - Apes want to enslave/dominate or kill humans in memory for what humans did, whereas humans want to do the same thing when given an opportunity ...never remembering where it did the same as the apes. Each group denies that the other is more than simply “animal” in nature, which is quite interesting when seeing what it takes to bring both sides together.

item3986.2.jpg

item3986.3.jpg

item3986.5.jpg

item3986.6.jpg

item3986.7.jpg

safe_image.php

latest

39744dbfb2c387ec5159b67133290911.jpg

2596410-planet_of_the_apes___the_human_war__1___page_1.jpg

If anyone else loves or knows of the series, would you recommend it?

DarkHorseWallpaper.jpg

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I LOVE comics too.
If interested, you would really enjoy this presentation on the issue since it does an amazing job bringing the matter home...

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If interested, you would really enjoy this presentation on the issue since it does an amazing job bringing the matter home...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
And on the issue of stereotype - as it concerns differing ways that plays out - I am glad that they actually had it where Captain IS Black, with the Falcon replacing him after he stepped down..

B2Q03dDCQAA97oB.jpg:large
[/CENTER][/IMG]

Very encouraging to see the way that things have shifted - although for true comic fans, it is a bit of justice in light of the fact that the original Captain America was a black man who underwent treatment with a test-serum - similar to the Tuskegee Project. For reference:

143884ce3d8131191a5ffe678a345c51.jpg

357402-127296-isaiah-bradley.jpg

719551-patriot2.jpg

Isaiah_Bradley_(Earth-616).jpg

d1721484e180326a_large.jpg

2052686-detail.jpg

dsc_isaiah_bradley_by_taclobanon-d41glia.jpg

Civil War is looking to be astounding....

CW-Cpt-America-4x6-e8499.jpg

CW-Winter-Soldier-4x6-81456.jpg

CW-Black-Panther-4x6-9d31f.jpg

CW-Falcon-4x6-58ecb.jpg

CW-Hawkeye-4x6-f2ae5.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It honestly comes off similar to the film "Rise of the Guardians" for the differing ways others represent some element of the world or existence.

But the concept from Endless is rather beautiful - with my favorite character being Dream. I like the concept of the Endless and seeing how it is a family consisting of seven siblings: Destiny, Death, Dream, Destruction, Desire, Despair and Delirium (who used to be Delight)....each embodying seven different fundamental forces of existence itself.
jla-22-pg14.jpg

Of course, I think Marvel has had similar dynamics with regards to incarnations of concepts which impact people's lives. They did so already with the personification of Death itself, as an example - for others such as Oblivion and Death represent the forces of Death and Eternity and Infinity represent the forces of life, as they are in perfect harmony.. all coming into existence with Eternity, Infinity, and Oblivion at the start of all existence. I loved the way they tied things in - especially with the idea of Thanos' quest to gain the approval and love of Mistress Death. ...an interesting concept and one that I've found fascinating, from a Christian perspective, in light of where I've seen it argued that Death itself is a concept that God created and used on several occassions - with others feeling it is a literal being (based on I Corinthians 15 and other passages dealing with the Angel of Death, more shared here and here) - and as it concerns the entire fundamental elements of the universe personified, there are a lot of similarities to what has been noted within Theism (more specifically Christendom/Judaism) in regards to the concept of their being a Supreme Being who rules over a Divine Council
- all working in unision to keep the universe itself going (even though it all exists within God), as Dr. Michael Heiser has noted before with regards to what the Divine Coucil is about and how it relates to humanity itself.... And others who've done amazing work on the issue are people like Dr. Margret Baker (more here, etc).

Again, to see the concept of a Divine Council within the world of Marvel Comics is rather amazing :)

Was watching some cartoons recently....and I Forgot to share earlier....but in regards to religion, I have to say that I was glad to know that one of my favorite series was made into an animated series, Green Lantern. One of the more wild concepts behind the series comes in regards to the actual creators of the Green Lantern corps...

GL_jimlee.jpg

Whenever I hear of the theology behind Green Lantern and the Guardians of the Universe (THE blue skinned people with big heads) having differing energies utilized to police the galaxy, I got a bit weirded out.

Felt almost like they were saying those guys were God essentially whenever they said they were immortal/responsible for creation of life in the universe. Always turned me off whenever I saw it....for it seemed to advance the view that all things simply occurred.

And I have to agree that the Guardians are the WORST guardians of the galaxy - more shared in 9 Reasons Green Lanterns Are the Universe's Worst Guardians..

But I am glad that they were able to show the concept of a council able to learn/grow - as well as showing elements in the Council who were a very radical problem. The Animated series did an excellent job portraying that :)

2338520-screen_shot_2012_05_11_at_7.12.57_am.png

That said, when seeing the mythology of the Green Lantern universe, it has always been fascinating when seeing the concept of universal constants being present to give people strength. It's a frequency of light/energy in the universe one can gain access to in order to accomplish feats. One of the reasons why the Guardians got their behinds in trouble when failing to let the other Lanterns know that Green Energy wasn't the only source of energy one could use in combat....and for any seeing the Lantern Corps Wars in the comics and all the differing sides at war (Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, etc), it was pretty epic to see the ways that the Green Lantern Corps essentially went into chaos. Each frequency makes a differing emotion...but once you identify it and learn how to master it, things get wild. Sinestro made his own corps after seeing the Guardians/Green for what it was and seeing it inherently weaker.

And on the differing colors:

Very powerful concepts...

Green-Lantern-Corps-6.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Technically, there were others besides Batman who resisted Superman - as they were willing to not justify whatever Sups did in the name of peace simply because he said he stood for "justice."

But with Wonder Woman, she showed how she would be if she (like other Amazonians) chose not to restrain themselves when it came to their distaste for man's world and wanting to bring justice to mankind. Obviously, from the standard D.C Universe, we know that Wonder Woman is often portrayed as admirable/calm...in light of the background she hailed from..

tumblr_lgb6toa9yN1qghc3qo1_500.jpg

Nonetheless, As other Amazons had no issue with attacking the world, it's no surprise that Diana would be willing to do the same in this one...plus they have already showed her in violent presentations before in series such as Flashpoint alongside showing the Amazons going to war

AT4W: Amazons Attack #1 and 2 (1of2) - YouTube

AT4W: Amazons Attack #1 and 2 (2of2) - YouTube

tumblr_ljpjoyzRzr1qbujox.gif

1HuHenn.jpg

Of course we understand that in the traditional world of D.C, Wonder Woman is a Diplomat and peace-maker..as well as an effective warrior

waED88U.jpg

wonder-woman-armour-concept-design-by-cliff-chiang.jpg

RkGLLfA.jpg

fyTRihj.jpg

And of course, others appreciate her for being explictly feminist...

XVVFvap.jpg

Woman Woman is deeply complex but has never been against resorting to violence if she felt it was necessary - more discussed in ladybusiness | Guest Post: You?re a wonder, Wonder Woman

And her aggression fits since normally this isn’t the type of behavior we expect from Wonder Woman who tends to be a purveyor of justice, not vengeance

It was insightful to see, for example, where Ares told a great deal about Princess Diana when saying she is a champion of peace, but now seems to also favor war as a vehicle for peace. ....and, she desires to be Superman's mate - fueling his rage. A lot of their interactions are interesting to consider - seeing that I'm curious as to where that Diana and her experiences differ with the versions of Diana I grew up watching and reading about) since the idea that she needs him to do this in order to do it herself is fascinating.
Although it is intense, her spikes are not that radical when seeing her other costumes...

Wonder Woman's new costume is pretty interesting....although some of her antagonists are just as impressive...

ht_dc_comics_100629_ssh.jpg

1281042-wonder_woman_new_by_don_kramer.jpg

comics-urban-wonder-woman.jpg

Looking forward to the new Wonder Woman movie and what is going down....

As another said best:

Directed by Patty Jenkins (Monster), Wonder Woman will be an origin story illustrating the transformation of a young Princess Diana into the greatest female warrior of all time.

She will need some help getting there, though. Preparing her for a world of men are three regal women: Diana’s mother, Queen Hippolyta (Gladiator’s Connie Nielsen), and her two military aunts – General Antiope (Robin Wright) and Antiope’s lieutenant, Menalippe (Force Majeure’s Lisa Loven Kongsli). This trio of immortals is responsible for both raising and training Diana — the only child on this estrogen heavy isle — but they don’t always agree. Hippolyta, a revolutionary leader, longs to shelter her beloved daughter from the outside world, but Antiope, the Amazon responsible for Diana’s training, wants to prepare her. “She is the only child they raised together,” says Jenkins, calling from outside London, where she is deep into the film’s production. “And their love for her manifests in a different way for each of them.”

To create Themyscira, Jenkins and her team used exotic islands off the coasts of Italy and southern China to enhance the other worldliness of scenes filmed on Italy’s Amalfi coast. Still, designing a fantastical place proved challenging. Every decision about it, she says, came back to a central question: “How would I want to live that’s badass?”

Adds producer Charles Roven, “Themyscira is influenced by the Greek but it’s clearly more then that,” he says. “It’s a place that has the ‘you’ve never been to’ kind of feel. But once you’re there you’re not so sure you really want to leave so fast.”

That uniqueness extended to how the Amazons look, too. “To me, they shouldn’t be dressed in armor like men,” Jenkins says of the women’s battle wear. “It should be different. It should be authentic and real – and appealing to women.” Jenkins and her costume designer, Lindy Hemming (The Dark Knight), crafted a look that showed off the women’s ripped shoulders and toned legs, in outfits that looked practical but that still featured the tropes of the comic book, in particular the braces on their wrists and, yes, even the high heels.

Jenkins defends the impractical footwear. “It’s total wish-fulfillment,” she says, adding that the warriors have flats for heavy fighting. “I, as a woman, want Wonder Woman to be hot as hell, fight badass, and look great at the same time – the same way men want Superman to have huge pecs and an impractically big body. That makes them feel like the hero they want to be. And my hero, in my head, has really long legs.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As it concerns comics I have gotten recently and that have made me think, I recently got a hold of "Planet of the Apes: The Human War"

775511.jpg

And I have to say the series is amazing since it shows the dynamics of apes/man having so many variations in their organizations as a motif for how society works with the ways camps evolve in the midst of a culture at war:

And just to be clear, as I've seen this brought up before whenever someone says they even enjoy Planet of the Apes as a saga and then assumes you're for all aspects of the theory of Evolution....when it comes to the issue of man being related to apes, there'd be nothing wrong with this (In my opinion).

Secifically, Under the Scientific classification of Anthropoids:
Sub-Order: Anthropoidea,
Infra-Order: Catarrhine,
Super-family: Homonoidea,
Subfamily: Homininae,
Tribe: Hominini,
Species: Human.
The other "tribe" under Homininae is: Panini, Species: Chimpanzees. Humans are different from other primates in that we don't have an insulating layer of hair - allowing us to control body temperature through sweating. AND Our females go through a menopause sometime quite early in life, while other primates don't. And this wouldn't be an issue for "Creationists" in any way. Dr. Porsche built the original "Bebe" Renault, and the Economy models of the early Mercedes rear engine vehicles - AND the Volkswagens (in 1939). When one looks at the "guts" of the three (and of others he did) one can see a distinctive commonality of design, and similar features among all three - making it clear that the same "thought process" produced all three vehicles. BUT Nobody would try to prove that a Volkswagen was a "Bebe Renault" - but could easily demonstrate that the same "creator" was involved in both of 'em.

According to mainstream science, people note humans are not apes because of the differences in SPECIES. Others may say there's negative baggage associated with it as a basis for not wanting to use the term--but for most, it's a simple matter of categorical correctness and what scientists have often noted when pointing out that man and ape are not the same..and noting that others trying to merge the two at any costs do not understand taxonomy or classification properly.

Humans are a type of primate, just as apes are a type of primate. They have never been seen in the same categories on all things and that's a basic of science that people in anthropology have often pointed out. The same goes for other species (i.e. baboons, monkeys, etc). Monkeys are not even considered Apes...as they're a in a group below them on the ladder. That often gets discussed repeatedly in Anthropology classes whenever make claims on evolution (be it for or against) that monkeys are apes...

Some Christians think belief in evolution undermines the uniqueness of humankind and the reality of evil and the fall....but I disagree. I am glad for others who were devout Christians/contemporaries of Darwin, such as Asa Gray , bringing awareness to the fact that God can use certain processes in nature to accomplish his ends. For the Genesis account portrays Adam and Eve as Neolithic farmers. It is perfectly feasible that God bestowed His image on representative Homo sapiens already living in the Near East to generate what John Stott has called Homo divinus, those who first enjoyed personal fellowship with God but who then fell most terribly from their close walk with God (Genesis 3.8). All those who disobey God and trust in their own wisdom in place of Gods law reiterate the historical fall in their own being (Ezekiel 28.11-19). I don't see anything wrong with advocating that God may've made two species that have similarities and may've indeed come from the same stock while choosing to impart one aspect of Himself into one of the groups to make them far superior/advanced than all others in creation.

Not too long ago, there was an article from BIO Logos I came across..and I thought it was intriguing when it came to discussing what's seen in Genesis and renconcilling that with Anthroplogy.

For more:

What they offered seemed insightful and, IMHO, it does bring up an entirely different realm of conversation when considering Genesis and how God described the role of Man (as well as the Devil) and the story of creation all the way up to Genesis 6/the Flood.

Although I think the story of Adam/Eve is literal, I think the interpretation of it often gets missed. Where scripture says "God made man from the Dust of the Ground", I've always been curious as to why many say its somehow impossible for the Lord to have made other species similar to man (i.e. apes, primates, etc) and then with man, breath his spirit into man....with the Gift of God's Spirit imparted being what set man apart.

The text doesn't say that only having 4 fingers/thumbs is what makes man in the "Image of God"...as other creatures share similar genetic make-up on some parts & have the same body parts. Yet that doesn't mean that we're the same fully. If apes /other species and humans were 100% the same in all things, it'd definately place an entirely different spin on the film "Rise of the Planet of the Apes."

Seeing the Film puts an enitrely DIFFERENT spin on what it means to be in a Zoo---and makes one wonder what would happen if indeed was the case that something was naturally able to develop that'd be against man. For animals have learned to use tools, as well as to communicate on high levels of intelligence/network...even using tools to do things. Though never on the level as man, there's no saying that it could not happen where intelligence/development grew enough where a threat to man's survival occurred. Of course, if that happened like in "Planet of the Apes, they I'd say Apes would be seen as another creation of the "Beasts of the Field" (Genesis 1:24-25)...and having to fight against other species evolving would be an extension of the mandate from God to "Have Dominion" (Genesis 1:26-31). ..with both connected and what's seen in anthropology with "common links"/similar actions kept in place...

Either way, ultimately, those issues are separate from the fact that a good story is still a good story (and just like peanut butter jelly sandwiches, some like jelly on top while others like it on the bottom - it's all about how you flip it, thanks for the reminder Asaph Brown : ) ) - and I do thank God for others able to enjoy a narrative without thinking you have feel it is meant to explain multiple other issues in debate when the story was meant to convey a more simpler reality :)

item3986.2.jpg

There was a rather fascinating read I came across last night that had me thinking...

I found it sad when reading on the way that others read into the storyline itself to say that the allegory was inherently racist somehow in having the apes/monkeys represent those who came to dominant - even though there was such complexity in the story line itself showing diverse sides that were not monolithic (i.e. Saying all humans are good and all apes are bad, saying it's just about laying down arms on one side that will lead to peace, etc.). Sad that sometimes narratives get extended past their use since nothing is able to be said in an age when there seems to be so much focus on being politically correct since it is odd I can't enjoy an awesome narrative without fear that someone will assume I believe Blacks or Native Americans or Hispanics (or Underclassed Whites) are symbolized by apes - making me somehow deragatory....

Going through the series again last night (As it continues off the world Tim Burton made for the movie series in 2001), I do hope that they will choose to come out with a new series again on the issue...so impactful and beautifully drawn as well.​

item3954.6.jpg

item3954.7.jpg

item3891.6.jpg

item3891.7.jpg

13256482_10102212033194773_302820371943006925_n.jpg
/

13237751_10102213392969773_5844170228061030541_n.jpg

13254117_10102212033314533_7728906534193277542_n.jpg

13265882_10102212080619733_1667808982710815325_n.jpg

fd9f2b58f79352fa87-5.jpg

13221386_10102213398768153_95799241948139153_o.jpg

13247681_10102213398593503_5393209940579853838_o.jpg

13247805_10102213396991713_8684904447922486992_o.jpg

13217144_10102213396178343_786874835899820653_o.jpg

13243855_10102212080674623_7587451085003617017_o.jpg

13217039_10102212033429303_7325403072728206433_o.jpg

13217323_10102213402306063_6747173757335856396_o.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Finally .....

The trailer for Apocalypse is truly stellar...

Did anyone here actually like some of the religious themes and discussions in the latest X-Men film? I have to say there were parts of it that were good but a lot of other parts where I honestly was disappointed.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
your threads are always interesting G but I usually avoid them at work as they make my internet explode! lol

for the new X-Men movie I heard it was lame so I skipped it. Maybe check it when it's free on Netflix as I didn't mind the last 2.
It was a bit...mediocre...at points. Still excellent, especially if loving the dynamic of friendship seen between Professor X and Magneto - but at other points, it made me think this is definitely worth seeing on Netflix.

Days of Future Past was honestly VASTLY superior (and perhaps my favorite one out of all the series).....the Sentinels will always be stellar.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
your threads are always interesting G but I usually avoid them at work as they make my internet explode! lol

for the new X-Men movie I heard it was lame so I skipped it. Maybe check it when it's free on Netflix as I didn't mind the last 2.
If you've not seen the latest X-Men film already, don't worry on it....

Upvote 0